• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

biggest roster disappointment

fansince62

Throughout this season who has been the bigegst roster disappointment for you?

For me: without question Montez Sweat. For the hype and a trade-up, he has been a big nothingburger.

When I watch his play, he looks to be in slow motion. Maybe a factor of a big stride....but he looks slow. I never saw a speed rush from himo. I never saw him dominate OTs on shere athletic talent. His technique sucked IMO. OTs locked him up. He couldn't over-power, could not out-quick, could not spin move. I'm hoping this was coaching. For the hype and cost...the results weren't there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously, we could have gotten the same season results had we picked DE, Brian Burns instead of Snyder's pick of Haskins. Napoleon and his minion signed Case Keenum because we needed a QB. That could have been a 2nd round pick used on an O-lineman or BPA. In all reality, it's not going to matter who the next HC will be it's going to matter who the next owner will be.

For me: without question Montez Sweat. For the hype and a trade-up, he has been a big nothingburger.

When I watch his play, he looks to be in slow motion. Maybe a factor of a big stride....but he looks slow. I never saw a speed rush from himo. I never saw him dominate OTs on shere athletic talent. His technique sucked IMO. OTs locked him up. He couldn't over-power, could not out-quick, could not spin move. I'm hoping this was coaching. For the hype and cost...the results weren't there.

My immediate reaction is to blame the scheme.
We can't really judge any player until we get the right DC

My biggest roster disappointment goes to Derrius Guice.

Jay and his staff were basically going to "put all their eggs in a basket" with him and entertained thoughts of letting AP go.

What a horrendous idea that would've been! As it stands, all we have is the Carolina game as far as pointing to his potential but we are no closer to having any faith that Guice could stay on the field for two games back to back, much less 10-16 games.

I'm intellectually opposed to naming a rookie - ANY rookie - as the biggest roster disappointment. Set aside that our defensive coaches have struggled to improve the play of guys we know are NFL star level players, you cannot fairly judge rookies at any position. How many times have we seen this fanbase trash players, call for them to be cut, call them 'busts' - only to see 2 or 3 seasons later that they are very good players. We've also seen our share of players get cut and thrive elsewhere. We are ridiculously quick to judge and impatient. I think Sweat has made strides this season. He's had a couple games where you got glimpses of what he can do, and perhaps will consistently do with more time. I suspect he's going to make a lot of critics look silly down the road. Troy Apke may be another one of those kinds of players... just a feeling about him.

I have a lot of players who have disappointed me. Case Keenum is a solid QB, but one who has played like a rookie at times. He's had stretches of looking good but I was counting on him to be a steadying factor and he hasn't been able to do it. Paul Richardson has been a total flop. He's emblematic of our FO idiocy. You go grab a guy whose shown some flashes but who hasn't been able to stay on the field or produce big #'s in Seattle (you know - because he's 'fast'). And of course, you get what anyone should expect to get. Josh Norman has to be on any list of disappointments. He's gone from 'gamer' to 'risky' to 'disaster' faster than any player I've ever seen.

But just to balance out a negative thread - we have far more exciting and promising young players on this roster than we do disappointments imho.

Do coaches count? Greg F'n Manusky...how this idiot has attached himself to the organization like a tic, then won't let him go is mind boggling.

As far as players go I nominate Morgan Moses. Only the Titans have a worse pass blocking than us & Penn has done his best in the absence of Greedy Trent, but MM has regressed into a matador.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2019

Do coaches count? Greg F'n Manusky...how this idiot has attached himself to the organization like a tic, then won't let him go is mind boggling.

As far as players go I nominate Morgan Moses. Only the Titans have a worse pass blocking than us & Penn has done his best in the absence of Greedy Trent, but MM has regressed into a matador.

I'm curious if Moses might be better suited at Guard.
Maybe a crazy idea, but he doesn't seem agile enough to play Tackle, and seems to be built more like an Ereck Flowers, who is playing well at G.

Possibly but at this point I think we've seen MM peak as a player. Plus, we have Martin to fill in at RG as soon as we trade Scherff.

Moses has for whatever reason regressed and if you watch after any redskin qb is sacked he does absolutely nothing to help them back up. At worst we need to draft competition for the RT spot. Preferrably replace him with a pick

All possible answers. But I am referring to what my eyes are seeing. Too many instances when I have watched him pass rush from the down position and he appears not only a tick slow....but not the...for lack of a better term...stellar athlete he was touted to be. I don't see him ever speeding by a defender or muscling his way in ala Kerrigan. What I see is a guy who lets the offensive blocker in close to his body and he can't achieve separation. When I call him a bust I locate that relative to expectations.

I get it on coaching. Local radio station used Sweat as an example that Manusky doesn't fit the scheme to the talent but just the opposite. Nevertheless, my point is that I am not seeing the raw atheleticism that merited trading up. I had high hopes for MS.

On to the next Skins drama! Will Bruce survive or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
On to the next Skins drama! Will Bruce survive or not?

I thought his firing was a foregone conclusion about a month ago, nothing substantial to hang my hat on...just a feeling.

Now?

My gut tells me that f**ker is put in a lateral position because of his involvement in the stadium deal. He cannot stay out of Dan's ear and Mike McCarthy is made to feel like Shanahan before him when we trade from the #2 pick in the draft to the Bengals at #1 for 2 #1 picks and a #2 round pick so that we can be sure to draft Chase Young. *sarcasm alert*

Agree on Allen.

As for the draft, specifically Chase:

1. He has to declare first. If he doesn't, I say trade down but but not too far in order to guarantee we still draft a game changer for the position. I'ld go for the best CB first if that condition is met. Get a third for the swap.

2. If Chase decides to enter ther draft, we draft him if we have a very high certainty he will be a once in a decade/generwational type player. If not, I trade down and follow bullet one logic.

3. We're gonna have $90+ in cap space if we clear roster as pundits argue. We can find a servicable LOT. Even more important, I'ld dangle big bucks to sign a quality TE. All the best offenses these days seem to revolve around the TE. Then I'ld look for a speed wideout. Cowturds are gonna run short on cap once they are done signing Elliot, Dak, et al. Perhaps we can snag Cooper.

4. Other considerations:
- more CB depth
- not worried about RBs; they can alweays be found if we know what we are looking for; bring back AP for another season
- more speed at LB
- franchise Scherff if you think the injuries are not going to be recurring
- start the search for a new ROT
- do we sign Case to be the backup or draft in a later round
- hire a DC with a proven track record for innovation and flexibility

more later

Moses has for whatever reason regressed and if you watch after any redskin qb is sacked he does absolutely nothing to help them back up.

I'm guessing he believes his technique is so flawless, that it's the QB's own damn fault... :beam:

Agree on Allen.

As for the draft, specifically Chase:

1. He has to declare first. If he doesn't, I say trade down but but not too far in order to guarantee we still draft a game changer for the position. I'ld go for the best CB first if that condition is met. Get a third for the swap.

2. If Chase decides to enter ther draft, we draft him if we have a very high certainty he will be a once in a decade/generwational type player. If not, I trade down and follow bullet one logic.

3. We're gonna have $90+ in cap space if we clear roster as pundits argue. We can find a servicable LOT. Even more important, I'ld dangle big bucks to sign a quality TE. All the best offenses these days seem to revolve around the TE. Then I'ld look for a speed wideout. Cowturds are gonna run short on cap once they are done signing Elliot, Dak, et al. Perhaps we can snag Cooper.

4. Other considerations:
- more CB depth
- not worried about RBs; they can alweays be found if we know what we are looking for; bring back AP for another season
- more speed at LB
- franchise Scherff if you think the injuries are not going to be recurring
- start the search for a new ROT
- do we sign Case to be the backup or draft in a later round
- hire a DC with a proven track record for innovation and flexibility

more later

I agree with a lot of what you said. They are saying Young is that generational talent, so if they believe that then you take him. We'd all love a trade down, but you need someone to partner with. I think the Raiders went into this last draft with that philosophy and no one wanted to trade with them. So they drafted a mid first round pick with the 4th overall. I'm not saying that was a bad pick as time will tell if it was, but I really think they were hoping someone would want their spot and trade up to get a QB or someone else. That's the predicament you can get stuck in if your goal is trading down. I'm sure we've seen other instances of this from other teams, but I felt the Raiders had a bad plan going in.

As for Cooper, I'd say no to him. He would be the next big Redskins signing that disappoints. He's very inconsistent. I don't know if that's a function of the offenses he's been in, or if he doesn't work hard all the time. But if it is the offenses, do you really think the Redskins will have a structure in place to fix his inconsistency? For as much as we love to mock dallas, they do have a great offense and even in that Cooper has disappeared at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with a lot of what you said. They are saying Young is that generational talent, so if they believe that then you take him.

Seems like players have had that label before and not lived up to that rating. So I think it's very risky to consider a player a generational talent and a sure thing, and make sacrifices based on that.
Trying to think of examples. Just off the top of my head, wasn't RG3 considered to have that label

Seems like players have had that label before and not lived up to that rating. So I think it's very risky to consider a player a generational talent and a sure thing, and make sacrifices based on that.
Trying to think of examples. Just off the top of my head, wasn't RG3 considered to have that label

There's some probability involved in all of this no doubt. But there have been hits....Herchel Walker for one. I believe Bo Jackson was also seen as such. Dion was also seen as a generational CB. Remember, it's all relative - to the rest of the draft pool and the traits oif bona fide styars. The hard part is predicting what's between the ears.

Norman, Richardson, Adonnis Alexander (no longer on roster).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.