• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's Your Favorite Personal Redskins Story?

Being a Falcons fan, I only have 2 Redskins stories that stick in my mind.

1. The side line scrap between Mike Smith and DeAngelo Hall. Ill never forget that as long as I live.

2. A more personal one: After the Redskins and Falcons game in Washington this past year, I was in the players lot. If any of you have ever been in there or seen it from the stadium, you can attest to the number of nice cars parked in there. Audi R8s, M5s, countless Mercedes, I even saw a Bentley Coupe. Parked next to the Bentley was a mid 90ish Mazda sedan, that looked like it had not been washed in the better part of 2 years. It looked really out of place. I was thinking that maybe a FedEx field employee of the month got to park there or something. A few minutes goes by after I notice the car (I am talking to a friend and some family), and who walks by us an jumps in this dirty mazda? Alfred Morris... My friend, noticing the look of disbelief on my face, looks at me and just says a single word... "Priorities."

Kert, that is awesome!!!

A few minutes goes by after I notice the car (I am talking to a friend and some family), and who walks by us an jumps in this dirty mazda? Alfred Morris... My friend, noticing the look of disbelief on my face, looks at me and just says a single word... "Priorities."

Great story Kert and :welcome:

Really hoping we get a chance to play in the Georgia Dome next weekend! ;)

***bump***

It's offseason, we need some enlightenment.

So...my dad raised me to be a Redskins' fan. The neighbors across the street were Colts' fans. Not a huge rivalry, but about the time I was getting into football, becoming Redskins' obsessed, the Colts were perennial powerhouses so it was difficult. George Allen had brought us around with a Super Bowl visit, but the years of dysfunction had not worn off...we had yet to win a Super Bowl. The neighbors always let us know the Colts had a SB victory and the Redskins didn't.

Fast forward to the 1977 season finale. The Redskins are playing the Rams in a 4pm game...they win/Bears lose and they are in. The Colts are playing a 1pm game...they win they are in. So the youngest son in the neighbors family, my older brother's best friend, comes down to my house with a proclamation, if I root for the Colts against the Patriots in the early game, he will root for the Redskins in the late game.

OK...sounds good to me. Let me just say Steve, the proclaimer, was 5 years older than me and was my idol as a 9 year old boy. He was the cool kid.

So the Colts win, I rooted for them. Here's where things get dicey. Steve wasn't around for the Redskins' game so I don't know what he was doing. But they won, all they needed was for the Bears to lose to the Giants in a game that the network broadcast after the Skins game. Bears lose and the Redskins clinch the wild card. Well...that prick came over to the house just in time to root for the Bears to win! He told me he rooted for the Skins, who knows if he did. But he rooted for the Bears at the end in a close game against NY. I was CRUSHED! That jack ass slimed his way through "living up" to his end of the bargain. Who knows if he really rooted for the Redskins? Talk about feeling betrayed!

That's OK...I got the last laugh in this story!

A week later the Colts are playing the Oakland Raiders at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. My uncle had 4 tickets about 15 rows back in the endzone, one for me, one for him, one for my brother and my brother got to invite Steve. Not sure if any of you know about the Colts' Corral, but it was a group of rabid season ticket holders at Memorial Stadium that sat in the end zone...that was where we sat. With my mother and her boyfriend, a member of the Corral, 2 rows in front of us we settled into our seats. I don't remember much of the game, I know it was a great game, the crowd was truly fanatical that day...I don't remember seeing a single Raiders fan around. I was surrounded by a sea of blue! But there was one Raiders' fan in attendance that day...ME!!!! That son of a bitch wants to root for the Bears to eliminate the Redskins from the playoffs? Well, 2 can play at that game!

There I was, this 9 year old boy sitting in one of the most ardent, passionate fan zones in pro football rooting for the opposing team...in the playoffs! Needless to say, I was getting the ole' stink eye from a lot of the old-timers. You gotta remember, these were tough, blue collar guys, in a blue collar town, tremendously affected by the terrible economy, soured by the current state of affairs, trying to get lost in their team on a Sunday afternoon of playoff football, only to have this snot nosed kid rooting against their Colts, IN THEIR SECTION!!!
My mother's boyfriend was PISSED! Meh...**** him too! :laugh:

So...if you guys remember, this was the Ghost to the Post game where Ken Stabler completed a bomb to Dave Casper to the Colts 14 yard line with less than 30 seconds left in the game...before all the "time-outs" made 30 seconds seem like an eternity. TheRaiders kicked a FG to tie the game and send it to OT. After the end of the 1st OT, still tied. The game goes into the 2nd OT and the Raiders have the ball in Colts' territory driving down field directly toward us. I start screaming with excitement at this point, much to the dismay of everyone around me! If I was a grown man acting like that, I doubt I would have made it out of that stadium alive!

Then...Stabler lobs the ball into the corner of the endzone directly in front of us, Dave Casper catches it for the game winning TD. We couldn't really see it from where we were sitting because of the people on the sidelines and the first 14 rows, but we saw the refs arms go up! I was soooooooooo happy!

The look on Steve's face was priceless!~ He tried to console himself by saying, "At least we were in the playoffs!" But it didn't work...I could tell he wanted to cry. My mom's boyfriend didn't come to or house for Christmas the next day, they'd been dating for about 3 or 4 years at that point, but he didn't want to see me. I don't remember how long it was until he said 2 words to me. :laugh: I didn't care, it was payback for Steve betraying me!

I laughed last...especially the night I watched the local knews to see those Mayflower trucks carting the team to Indianapolis. Before the Ravens came along, Steve was cheering for the Redskins on Sunday because he married into a Redskins' family!

I believe some of you may have read that before, but if you haven't I hope you enjoyed my vendetta!

HTTR!

My father didn't travel much but he seemed to have good luck when he did. Learned a card trick on an flight from Mohammad Ali. Came home once and said he just met the coach that was taking over the HC job of the Redskins. Then it was later announced. Dad wasn't a football fan, nor was I much at the time, but the Skin's were still big news having grown up in Waldorf and Mom and Dad working in DC. It was cool I knew who it was going to be before it was announced.

A personal favorite memory is a an autographed team football. Sonny, Billy and the lot. My dads Secretary was a lifer season ticket holder and got it for me. Left it in her trunk in a plastic bag and the humidity made the names ink run, but you could still make out the signatures.

El...some guys get all the breaks!!! :)

hmmmm...I can't even recall the details....just the flavors. a kid back in the 60s listening on a small battery powered handheld radio that was the lifeline to the world beyond biking radius. sonny and the boys battling it out. trading TDs. ending up 36-35 or something like that.

players actually were heros back then. football wasn't yet big business. seeing a game on TV was magic. kids with no chance of growing beyond 5 feet umpteen inches nevertheless emulating Sports Illustrated picts of receivers stretching at the sideline for that impossible reception......dreaming that they too would make it into one of those shiny burgandy, purple or brown jerseys one day. Saturdays with 8 friends playing tackle with no protection. no Facebook, Twitter, Instagram intrusions. that same radio pumping out motown tunes.

and all the goodness that lay ahead starting in the 70s........and ending in the 90s.

Oct 31, 2010 @ Detroit.

Saw this with my brother-in-law whose a huge Redskins fan & Detroit resident. Wouldn't call it necessarily a 'great game' but some things that did make it memorable besides the company. Friendly fans & fun to talk football with (unlike Seattle - where I live). Ford Field is a decent place to catch a game; had good seats (lower section; 40 yard line); parking was easy (unlike Seattle - where I live). Although parking for me personally isn't an issue in Seattle, for most it is a nightmare between cost and location.

Anyway; moments about the game;

D Hall out jumping Calvin Johnson in the corner of the end zone for an Int. Yeah a bit underthrown but still seeing it live - priceless.
This is the infamous, 'Rex knows the two minute drill better than McNabb' game. McNabb had absorbed like 6 sacks so we're thinking he's hurt. Well, Rex did fumble (surprise) so whether he knew the drill better or not is moot. That part rarely gets mentioned.
Banks had a huge game - nullified by ultra stupid Redskin penalties including a second TD return. A brawl nearly broke out when Branden was obviously ripped down by the back of the collar on the Skins sideline and no penalty was called.

Going into the 4th - still a close game; Skins down by one; 14-13. By then they were down to Keiland Williams at RB due to injuries to Chad Simpson & Portis (both inactive) & Torain who went out after starting the game. Williams actually made a pretty good account for himself (6car/25yds/1 TD). Torain did not (9/10/0) do so well.

By the end, things had gotten pretty ugly performance-wise for Washington on both sides of the ball so that part largely memorable to be forgettable. The 4th went with Detroit scoring 23 more to the Skins additional 12 more on two TDs. While the fanbase there are huge Suh supporters, the best defensive player was without a doubt Vanden Bosch. Granted Suh makes some things available for him but he was definitely the guy.

I guess looking back and comparing the Redskins best players for that particular game and what 2014 looks like so far make me feel a whole lot better about today. That day, the two best defensive guys where Hall & Haynesworth. Best RB was Williams and best WR was Anthony Armstrong. Gano was the kicker. Best QB might have been P Hunter Smith but he didn't have any attempts that day.
And how did that team get twice as many wins as the Redskins 2013 one? Well, it wasn't by any breaking the cap that never was. Their two best backs - Portis (5 games) & Torain (10 games); 2013s team got that pretty well beat. QBs - maybe a wash at best. Cooley had twice the yards but the same number of TDs as Reed. WR's then - Santana Moss and - who remembers.
2013s group had better linemen, better LB's. CB's maybe not so much but not that far off. Overall, the main advantage that the 2010 team had over last years was at Safety. Doughty & Landry (you can through in Moore too) was a better combo than anything tried last year. Yeah I know but Reed was like 31 or 32 last year & 2010 was his best season. And the team did blitz more.

Last game was a great one for me. From the meeting in the parking line to get in and splitting coffee, to dereks nuts dropping, to meeting everyone.

The game was great. It's my now city home team and they looked like they were going to pull it out with woodhead on the 1. Amazing goalline stand and in to OT where young got his third rushing td and we win.

Best part was my brother and his beat friend left during the goalline stand and I wouldn't look at the field because I was so livid.

It was great to see so many games this year. It was the Tampa game that got me, though. Watching us come back in that game really gave me a lot of hope for the rest of the season. The story in it? Well, it was the first game I attended in 5 years where I did not bring my camera and I almost got in a fight with Bruce Smith's brother. Haha!

Ain't got many 'in person' encounters but the one that stands out is from back in the '70s

Was in the night club business back then, was hanging around the top of the entrance stairs and inadvertently elbowed a guy in the chest.

This dude was solid as a rock, not particularly big, turned to apologize and realized it was Herb Mul-key. (yes, of that "little monkey" fame)

He was cool with it. He had an older buddy with him that I'm pretty sure was Jim Snowden.

Pretty sure Alvin Garrett was the subject of "that little monkey" fame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.