• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Biggest Question ...

Speakinig of Quinn - he can sit down for a bit. Steven Sims Jr should be given a shot to at least see what he can do. Right now, the brilliant coaches only put him for the exact same jet sweep action run - that every defense can see from a mile away.

I haven't heard that bit of nonsense ... but what in Gods name would be the motivating factor in that scenario???

Honestly - throwing that ball there was a terrible decision. I don't even need to know what Quinn was doing (or was supposed to be doing) on that play to figure that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was unreal hearing this. Brian Mitchell and Scott Linn were fully on board with this theory that Trey Quinn sabotaged Haskins.

It was unreal hearing this. Brian Mitchell and Scott Linn were fully on board with this theory that Trey Quinn sabotaged Haskins.

That pass still should never have been thrown, the LB was breaking to the ball in front of Quinn...Haskins threw it into double coverage.

Not yet! You forget Allen is still here to wreak yet more damage.

Boone...glad you raised the matter. I was struck early on with the observation that we may be dealing with an immature 21/22 year old. I thought this from the moment I heard him whining about his draft position. I will concede this - in many respects he's just a kid. He can still learn what leadership and thinking before speaking truly mean. He's definitely not self-confident. There were reports that while seated on the bench he retreated from interactions with the press and trusted fewer and fewer - heard this the other day on the radio from a Redskins beat reporter.

It's only been a few games so I amstill hopeful. There are worrisome things however: like repeated comments about poor postion when throwing, about not stepping into the pass...a whole bunch of stuff he got away with in college but not the pros. Those are fundamentals. I suspect that was what Gruden noticed also pre-draft.

In the event, here we are conversing about the SKins...even though we all know that as long as Brudan are on the scene/pulling the levers, there is almost no hope this franchise will return to its former glories.

Pretty amazing we're all still hanging out!

It's only been a few games so I amstill hopeful. There are worrisome things however: like repeated comments about poor postion when throwing, about not stepping into the pass...a whole bunch of stuff he got away with in college but not the pros. Those are fundamentals. I suspect that was what Gruden noticed also pre-draft.

I've notices he tends to rely on his arm too much and doesn't always set up properly with his footwork. In fact, I think I saw the OC talking to him after a score or conversion, and going over something about his mechanics afterwards, so he's still being worked on about it.

As for the talk with his O-line, I think he's just frustrated and honestly doesn't know what to do. He doesn't know whether there is something he's missing in protections that he should be doing, and wanted to give his O-line the benefit of the doubt, when really they just suck and leave him hanging out to dry a lot. That they seemed to be tuning him out, to me, is more worrisome than his pleading with them. Not sure whether that is because they've given up or they just don't like him or have confidence in him. Either way, not a good sign.

This topic is an interesting one. I generally stay away from the DC media because it's a cesspool that generally provides no real information and throws out wild rumors and hot takes as fact. The Quinn "sabotaging" Haskins is a perfect example of this. Without following the DC media, I don't know what rumors are out there about whether he is working hard, if his teammates like him, or if he's not learning the playbook. What I judge him on is how he performs on the field. His relief appearances showed he was not prepared in any way shape or form to play. I expect that's on the coaches and on Haskins as both are responsible for development. His two starts have shown he's better prepared, but still looks overwhelmed. It's hard to know if the coaches are only calling short passing plays, are drilling into him to only throw short, or if he just rarely looks down field. But I wish they would take more shots down field. He needs to learn to make all the throws, not just the short ones.

As far as him long term, this is what I'd like to see. He plays the rest of the year so that you can see if he gets it or not. I don't expect him to turn into a pro bowl QB by the end of the year, but what kind of improvement does he make. Is he improving, or does he look lost on the field. As for the draft next year, I don't think they should draft a QB regardless of where they pick or who is available. If they do, then we are having this same discussion next year with only the name of the QB changing. They need to rebuild the entire offensive line. Scherff is the only good player on the line and will probably get more money than he's worth. I'd pay him just because of how dismal the line is. But they need to find the next stud left tackle, which is where they should go with their top pick. They need to rebuild the line, continue to develop WR, improve the defense, then work on the QB. If Haskins doesn't get it and is still playing like this next year, then guess what. They will have another top 5 pick which will put them in position to draft a QB. But if they are smart about the draft, they will have built up the other positions around the QB and whether it's Lawrence or some other QB they take in 2021 they are in better position to win. The same is true if Haskins continues to get better and develops along with the WR.

Going back to the Boone's original post and comparing RGIII's first year and Haskins'...I had a thought today. RGIII had immediate success. He said the right things, the team was winning, and excitement was in the air. There were some concerns about how his style of play could hold up, but I don't remember people delving too much into how hard he worked or the relationship with his teammates. That tended to come out the following year.

Looking at Haskins, he definitely has not had success right away so there's no where to hide. From outside the beltline, he says the right things, is asking questions, and appears to be working on making himself better. I'm not sure we saw much of that from Robert except what he said at the podium.

That's not so say Haskins is the long term answer but it feels to me he might be in a better mindset which is about all I can ask for at this point given the state of the team.

There's got to be more to this. But for the o-line to go South on him after two games? Doesn't compute in my book. In true Redskins fashion, the details will eventually leak to the media.

Separate subject: saw some video the other day where the pundit pointed out that Haskins frequently doesn't see the field well and makes the wrong choice. This year he has a free pass - learning mode. Strikes me he doesn't seem to have a mentor on this team. I don't see or hear Keenum or Colt teaching him games or practice. Don'r hear of any mentoring from coaches either. Could be I'm not looking as much as I used to.

There's got to be more to this. But for the o-line to go South on him after two games? Doesn't compute in my book. In true Redskins fashion, the details will eventually leak to the media.

Separate subject: saw some video the other day where the pundit pointed out that Haskins frequently doesn't see the field well and makes the wrong choice. This year he has a free pass - learning mode. Strikes me he doesn't seem to have a mentor on this team. I don't see or hear Keenum or Colt teaching him games or practice. Don'r hear of any mentoring from coaches either. Could be I'm not looking as much as I used to.

Word is Alex Smith has taken him under his wing.

I think it is really too early to tell whether we have seen the real Haskins or not.

Sadly, neither of his starts have been televised down here so I've only seen a few highlights (or lowlights, depending...) and it just wouldn't be fair to evaluate him on a dozen plays or so.

If I'm honest, I don't think it's fair to evaluate him on this year at all, what with the way Jay treated him to start followed by working under an interim HC who most don't believe will part of the staff next year at all.

My take? So far he makes Jason Campbell and Patrick Ramsey look like Rhode Scholars between the ears.

Last edited:
This article fits in with the thread perfectly. Shows some stat comparisons for qb's in their first few starts and just goes to show that rushing to judgement isn't a good thing.

https://sports.yahoo.com/rushing-judgment-dwayne-haskins-maybe-013055076.html
Every time someone is quick to judge, I remind them that as a rookie Peyton Manning was 3-13, completed only 56% of his passes, and lead the league in INTs with 28. Had he done that here, we would've cut him.

Every time someone is quick to judge, I remind them that as a rookie Peyton Manning was 3-13, completed only 56% of his passes, and lead the league in INTs with 28. Had he done that here, we would've cut him.

Right!

He may very well be the Jason Campbell part deux and I'll freely admit that if he struggles with a competent coordinator, solid o-line and a TE that resembles Cooley. Anything until then is just speculation.

So in watching Haskins today (and the other starts), you can certainly see where he has the zip on the ball. He had a number of long and short plays today where he wasn't really accurate. In all cases the ball looked like it was coming out of a howitzer (at least to me). For those more adept in football mechanics and the like, is some of this inaccuracy due to not putting some 'touch' on the ball?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.