• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Biggest Question ...

So in watching Haskins today (and the other starts), you can certainly see where he has the zip on the ball. He had a number of long and short plays today where he wasn't really accurate. In all cases the ball looked like it was coming out of a howitzer (at least to me). For those more adept in football mechanics and the like, is some of this inaccuracy due to not putting some 'touch' on the ball?

I'm certainly not an expert, but Haskins inaccuracy comes from a few things. Sometimes he doesn't set his feet, other times he drops his arm a bit. When he drops his arm, you can really notice it on short throws and the ball will tend to sail on him. Other times he's not accurate because he's rushing his throws due to pressure or just panicking. Today it seemed like a lot of his inaccuracy was that he was just throwing the ball too hard. On deep and short passes, he looked like he overthrew the ball. At first I thought he was just trying to cut it through the wind, but he never really adjusted and I'm not sure the wind was blowing as hard towards the end of the game like it was early on. Even into the fourth quarter he was still overthrowing receivers. Some of the balls he threw did need more touch. Others needed a little more air under them so that the receiver could run under it.

For those more adept in football mechanics and the like, is some of this inaccuracy due to not putting some 'touch' on the ball?

He commented after the game, in reference to those misses, that he was playing with a hurt wrist

Even into the fourth quarter he was still overthrowing receivers. Some of the balls he threw did need more touch. Others needed a little more air under them so that the receiver could run under it.

When asked about that, he said he was making it a point to NOT underthrow it, due to the talent level of the CB covering TMc, so he was going to make sure it was either right on target, or slightly overthrown, in which case, he was confident TMc may use his talents to win the jump ball, or if anything else, overthrown to the point that the other kid couldn't get any hands on it.

Last edited:
As previously mentioned I think some of the tendency to overthrow is just adrenaline so I'm hopeful that'll become less of an issue the more playing time he gets.

Does anyone else find Haskins press conference comments odd? Pretty much every time he gets up there he says some stuff that makes me say ‘huh????'. The shit about ‘I'm a closer' was just weird. You'd better be a closer - because you've yet to complete 50% of your passes in a game and have missed a ton of wide open receivers ...

I don't want to beat on the kid but I just get a weird vibe from him. He clearly doesn't like some of the questions he gets asked such as the ones about selfies at the end of the game. My take is - if you don't want to have to answer those kinds of questions, don't do brain dead things in games.

I also don't buy that a wrist issue was the reason he missed several TD passes or that he intentionally was overthrowing guys because the corner was so good. I didnt care for either of those statements as they sounded like excuses to me.

I am rooting for Haskins but I am not 100% sure where his head is at. And wasn't he hours late to the game Sunday - that's what I had heard. Why wasn't he asked about that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My issue is he's failing in the area where a QB typically shines first... like touch on his passes, footwork, accuracy... and he was drafted in the first round. Those are things that shouldn't be a total issue at this time.

As previously mentioned I think some of the tendency to overthrow is just adrenaline so I'm hopeful that'll become less of an issue the more playing time he gets.

Does anyone else find Haskins press conference comments odd? Pretty much every time he gets up there he says some stuff that makes me say ‘huh????'. The shit about ‘I'm a closer' was just weird. You'd better be a closer - because you've yet to complete 50% of your passes in a game and have missed a ton of wide open receivers ...

I don't want to beat on the kid but I just get a weird vibe from him. He clearly doesn't like some of the questions he gets asked such as the ones about selfies at the end of the game. My take is - if you don't want to have to answer those kinds of questions, don't do brain dead things in games.

I also don't buy that a wrist issue was the reason he missed several TD passes or that he intentionally was overthrowing guys because the corner was so good. I didnt care for either of those statements as they sounded like excuses to me.

I am rooting for Haskins but I am not 100% sure where his head is at. And wasn't he hours late to the game Sunday - that's what I had heard. Why wasn't he asked about that?

He is certainly not lacking in confidence, that's for sure.
The question is, whether it's in excess.
You'd love to have your QB with a high amount of confidence.
That trait translates to multiple important outputs : calmness in a pocket under pressure, and the highly important aspect of not letting mistakes bother him, but to put them behind him. Basically nothing seems to "get to him".
At the same time, over-confidence can inhibit growth as a player. However, all the coaches and assistants claim that he is a very hard worker and wants to learn. So over-confidence does not seem to be an issue.
But only time will tell, if he has the right level of confidence.

He is certainly not lacking in confidence, that's for sure.
The question is, whether it's in excess.
You'd love to have your QB with a high amount of confidence.
That trait translates to multiple important outputs : calmness in a pocket under pressure, and the highly important aspect of not letting mistakes bother him, but to put them behind him. Basically nothing seems to "get to him".
At the same time, over-confidence can inhibit growth as a player. However, all the coaches and assistants claim that he is a very hard worker and wants to learn. So over-confidence does not seem to be an issue.
But only time will tell, if he has the right level of confidence.

Problem is...his comments at pressers, and his actions on the field certainly do NOT display a QB with confidence. Admittedly, I do not watch the games, but I do get to watch some tape and he is still struggling to get the alignments straight on the line of scrimmage.

I see it more as arrogance... he's done nothing yet to warrant being irritated with media questions (the same questions they'd ask any starting QB) but he clearly does get irritated. At times he seems to say the right things. But then I see some of the same nonsense stuff we got from RG3. I think Haskins is smarter than Griffin. I hope whomever his OC and QBs coach is next year they can keep him focused and centered. He's way too green to be displaying any level of diva.

BTW - reading that it sounds a lot harsher than I mean it. I'd just like to see him shut up and play and try not to do anything that looks selfish or drama-queenish in the process. I think I'm still suffering from Griffinitis. If he ever says No pressure no diamonds' I may lose it.

Last edited:
I personally feel a lot better about Haskins than I did about RG3. I do think there could be some maturity issues there with Haskins, but I'm not overly concerned about that. He's a 21 year old kid who got dropped into the middle of disfunction junction. I agree Boone that he was obviously defensive in the presser after the Lions game, but I was getting pissed for him honestly. The kid just lead the team to it's first home victory in memory, his first nfl victory, and the press focused on "selfie-gate". Yeah it was a boneheaded mistake, but big deal he got swept up in the moment. I thought Callahan's response to this was perfect. he corrected it and moved on, and was much more focused on what Haskins did right.

I think Haskins has great potential. He has a cannon for an arm, he stands tall in the pocket, and he's mobile enough to get out of trouble. From what I've been reading Alex Smith has been spending a lot of time with him, which I think is very good news. It will be interesting to see if Haskins can continue to progress over the rest of the season.

I personally feel a lot better about Haskins than I did about RG3. I do think there could be some maturity issues there with Haskins, but I'm not overly concerned about that. He's a 21 year old kid who got dropped into the middle of disfunction junction. I agree Boone that he was obviously defensive in the presser after the Lions game, but I was getting pissed for him honestly. The kid just lead the team to it's first home victory in memory, his first nfl victory, and the press focused on "selfie-gate". Yeah it was a boneheaded mistake, but big deal he got swept up in the moment. I thought Callahan's response to this was perfect. he corrected it and moved on, and was much more focused on what Haskins did right.

I think Haskins has great potential. He has a cannon for an arm, he stands tall in the pocket, and he's mobile enough to get out of trouble. From what I've been reading Alex Smith has been spending a lot of time with him, which I think is very good news. It will be interesting to see if Haskins can continue to progress over the rest of the season.

Great points... I read about Alex doing more mentoring with hi and that can only be a good thing. I also like that he's clearly figuring out that being a lot less involved in social media is going to be a positive for him (if he can sustain that approach).

Great points... I read about Alex doing more mentoring with hi and that can only be a good thing. I also like that he's clearly figuring out that being a lot less involved in social media is going to be a positive for him (if he can sustain that approach).

Thanks for your reply Boone. I'll just add that 2 of my kids are about Haskins' age, and while they're pretty mature in some ways, I just can't imagine them being the starting QB for the Redskins lol. You know I've been pretty down on the skins for a while now, but I really enjoyed the end of that Lions game. That was the most excited I got during a game in at least a couple years. It was really cool to see the effort and excitement of the younger guys. I actually think that there is some very nice young talent on this team. I just think the culture was awful under Gruden, and the team, especially some of the vets, had become lazy and spoiled. It kinda seems to me that Callahan might actually be the perfect guy to change this culture with his old school, no nonsense approach. He's also a naturally humble guy, and lord knows this team needs some humility. I'm excited to watch the rest of this season to see how it goes.

Callahan is a nice guy but he is a disaster at Head Coach. He has no idea how to produce a scoring offense and amazingly is even worse with clock management than Gruden was. There is zero chance he gets serious consideration imho. Ditto O'Connell. They are going to sweep out the coaching staff. Riddick likely is the next GM and he'll find a HC and let him pick all new staff. That's what I see going down.

Callahan might be a Wild Card.
But he has not been eliminated.
Callahan is In The Hunt.
CallaCAN.
Show me someone who is - both Better, AND has a realistic shot at MUTUALLY agreeing with the Skins.
That's a VERY short list.
For that reason, Callacan is in the hunt.

Callahan has no place as a HC in today's game, even with a “hotshot” OC. His style will trickle down, even if unintentional, and the team will be as exciting as watching paint dry... not to mention no change on D.

He hasn't been eliminated because he was never under serious consideration. There's a reason why every Skins press release refers to him as ‘Interim Head Coach'.

Callahan is a nice guy but he is a disaster at Head Coach.

I disagree with you on this. Yes the offense has been bad, but keep in mind that he was thrust into the position, and he's doing it with a bunch of rookie players and a rookie OC. I know he's a little rusty as far as game time coaching goes, but I like some of his "big picture" qualities.

I like the fact that the team has been practicing harder and more frequently. I love the fact that he practiced the team on Wednesday of the bye week and some of the vets were pissed(imagine that). I also loved that he turned the music off during practice and has been having the player run sprints after some of the practices, and that of course some of the vets were pissed about that as well. This team has been notoriously out of shape and unfocused for years. Bellicheck is known for running tough, not fun practices up in New England that most often end with running hills. Gruden, in contrast, apparently ran really loose, soft practices and it really showed.

I also like how Callahan handled the Norman benching. He basically said "nothing to see here Josh is pro and has been playing hurt", sparing Josh of a public shaming, while giving younger guys an opportunity and sending a valuable message to the team all at the same time. Gruden would have thrown Norman right under the bus first chance he got of course, which only serves to lower morale not raise it.

Callahan reminds of Gibbs in some ways. Of course he's not the offensive genius Gibbs was, but he has the same type humility, core values and leadership skills that Gibbs had. I'm starting to think that as crazy as it sounds, Callahan could actually be the perfect guy for the job. I'm not going to commit to that until I see a few more games, but right now I like what I'm seeing.

If you discount Callahan, I think you have to present a viable alternative.

One who meets the following criteria.

1) A prospect who is willing to sign with Skins
2) A prospect whom the Skins are willing to sign.
3) Someone who is a better prospect than Callahan.

Who fits at least those 3 requirements ?

It takes 3 to thrango.

Also it's like overturning an official call on the field, on a review.
Callahan is the default, or the call on the field.
It should take overwhelming evidence, or an overwhelming alternative to Callahan, to take the place of him.

I just hope we don't fall for the misleading idea that "assistants of successful coaches" will automatically be successful.
That's such a false perception.

Last edited:
I disagree with you on this. Yes the offense has been bad, but keep in mind that he was thrust into the position, and he's doing it with a bunch of rookie players and a rookie OC. I know he's a little rusty as far as game time coaching goes, but I like some of his "big picture" qualities.

I like the fact that the team has been practicing harder and more frequently. I love the fact that he practiced the team on Wednesday of the bye week and some of the vets were pissed(imagine that). I also loved that he turned the music off during practice and has been having the player run sprints after some of the practices, and that of course some of the vets were pissed about that as well. This team has been notoriously out of shape and unfocused for years. Bellicheck is known for running tough, not fun practices up in New England that most often end with running hills. Gruden, in contrast, apparently ran really loose, soft practices and it really showed.

I also like how Callahan handled the Norman benching. He basically said "nothing to see here Josh is pro and has been playing hurt", sparing Josh of a public shaming, while giving younger guys an opportunity and sending a valuable message to the team all at the same time. Gruden would have thrown Norman right under the bus first chance he got of course, which only serves to lower morale not raise it.

Callahan reminds of Gibbs in some ways. Of course he's not the offensive genius Gibbs was, but he has the same type humility, core values and leadership skills that Gibbs had. I'm starting to think that as crazy as it sounds, Callahan could actually be the perfect guy for the job. I'm not going to commit to that until I see a few more games, but right now I like what I'm seeing.

I have no problem with his old school mentality but please don't mention him in the same post as Belichick and Gibbs I know you somewhat acknowledged this already but those 2 are defensive and offensive geniuses respectively. I don't expect wins now for the reasons you IDed. But there is literally no reason to believe Callahan has a high ceiling as a head coach. He hasn't even been able to forge a consistently top 10 OL when that was his only job (despite having enough talent the past few years to do so). As for hard practices, speaking truth to bad performers, and sitting down even vets who aren't getting it done - that's NFL head coaching 101. We just don't recognize it because we we haven't had it. But there's a lot more to putting together a consistent winner than that.

I just don't see it but everyone's got a right to their opinion.

As for as the ‘alternative', that's a silly bar to set imho. How about ‘anyone else' - there will be hundreds of candidates out there. I believe they'll bring on Riddick (or some other competent person) as GM and that will go a long way in eliminating the ‘no one would want to come here' factor

Last edited:
Getting back to the Haskins meme: there's another way of looking at it.

Hypothesis: he becomes a successful QB.

Question: given what we have seen glimpses of...does he become insufferable?

Is Louis Riddick a competent candidate?

Wasn't he here with Vinny at the very height of dysfunction?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.