• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Sam Wyche: 'Tim Tebow is an elite QB'

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Pretty hard to totally discount the assessment of a guy like Sam Wyche, given he was QB coach for the likes of Joe Montana. Interesting view given he's almost a lone voice saying what he's saying...

The dismantling of a legend is in full force. These days, it is easy to wonder if Tim Tebow ever played football at all.

Listen, and you will hear about the long, loopy flaw in his delivery. Read, and you will find those who question his feet, his arm and his ability to read an opposing defense. Pay attention, and you will find those who think any NFL team interested in drafting Tebow is wasting its time.

Then there is Sam Wyche, who suggests the critics should worry more about their accuracy than Tebow's.

"If this guy can't be a starting quarterback in the NFL," said Wyche, a former Bucs coach, "then I was in the wrong profession for a lot of years."

Say this much for Wyche. He didn't win enough games in Tampa Bay (23 in four years), but he knows what a quarterback looks like. Once, in San Francisco, he was Joe Montana's quarterback coach. Once, in Cincinnati, he was Boomer Esiason's head coach.

mechanics. Last month, Wyche and Tebow spent two days at a facility in Franklin, Tenn., working in the classroom and on the field.

In the end, Wyche was impressed with what he saw. And if the reports out of Franklin are correct, NFL scouts might do well to give Tebow another look when he has his pro day (March 17).

"Would I draft him?" Wyche said. "Absolutely. Sure. If he's not taken early, somebody is going to be called a genius for taking him wherever he goes."

Click HERE for rest of article.

Tebow is a great football player but I don't think that necessarily translates into a great QB. He could have the passion and study ethic of a Peyton Manning but he'll never have the talent or touch. Thirty or perhaps twenty years ago, Tebow would have been a star in the NFL. Today, he's probably no more than a good Wildcat, spread or gimmick QB who will likely be used sparingly until he can become a decent backup QB.

I hope I'm wrong because he's a great human being and a high character guy but I just don't see him as a starting NFL QB for any length of time.

Tebow is a great football player but I don't think that necessarily translates into a great QB. He could have the passion and study ethic of a Peyton Manning but he'll never have the talent or touch. Thirty or perhaps twenty years ago, Tebow would have been a star in the NFL. Today, he's probably no more than a good Wildcat, spread or gimmick QB who will likely be used sparingly until he can become a decent backup QB.

I hope I'm wrong because he's a great human being and a high character guy but I just don't see him as a starting NFL QB for any length of time.

Agreed.

Lets put it this way....if he did a bunch of trading down and had a late 2nd or early 3rd....AND already fill a bunch of OL spots with rookies and FA. I would take a waiver on him.

Does Sam get any perks for trying to boost Tim's rating on the Draft boards? I know someone will take a chance on him, but it will be no higher than the second round.

Does Sam get any perks for trying to boost Tim's rating on the Draft boards? I know someone will take a chance on him, but it will be no higher than the second round.
That' where I see him going as well. I think our 2nd is a bit high, personally, but if we get trade back to the mid to late 40's, might be worth it.

I just hope he doesn't keep crying after every loss. Kid will run out of tears by November! :cry:

First Redskins jersey I ever got, a birthday present if I recall correctly, was QB Sam Wyche's 18. I think there's a picture of me in it, somewhere. :paranoid:

No idea on Tebow, to be honest. Love the toughness, leadership, character, etc. Love it. Totally unsure if his physical skill set translates to the NFL. On the one hand, can't wait to see him get his shot ... on the other, not crazy about the Redskins being the ones to give it to him.

I think a smart team could thrive with Tebow. But maybe not at QB.

Let's get one thing straight, I am a Florida Gators fan. And I love Tebow. (You know, in a man-crush sort of way. Ahem.)

There is no one who had a better drive to win, a force of will or a passon for the game than did Tebow. The guy had everything you wanted in a football player. He put those Gators teams on his back many a time.

But Tebow wasn't the best passer. He seemed slow in reading defenses at times. His arm wasn't a rocket launcher. His release wasn't exactly quick.

I am a Gators fan, and I'm not sure if he'll turn into a good prototype NFL QB. My instincts tell me not. Nothing about Tebow's game is NFL style.

But I think a smart NFL team could draft him and exploit his strengths and hide his weaknesses. I think I'd start him at FB and have him run with the ball at times, and throw sometimes. Just to get a defense thinking about it. Once a defense is thinking about the FB, they'd start missing other stuff.

I think a decent offense could be built around Tebow. Yes, it would be a gimmick, but it's something that Tebow -- and the offense -- could thrive in, I think.

The worst thing that could happen would be that Tebow goes to a basic drop-back-and-throw (prototypcial NFL) type offense. I don't think Tebow will ever be a Peyton Manning-type NFL QB.

But I do think he could have a significant impact on the NFL if a team uses him well.

And I'm fairly sure the Redskins are not the team for Tebow, as much as they need his leadership.

I think a smart team could thrive with Tebow. But maybe not at QB.

Let's get one thing straight, I am a Florida Gators fan. And I love Tebow. (You know, in a man-crush sort of way. Ahem.)

There is no one who had a better drive to win, a force of will or a passon for the game than did Tebow. The guy had everything you wanted in a football player. He put those Gators teams on his back many a time.

But Tebow wasn't the best passer. He seemed slow in reading defenses at times. His arm wasn't a rocket launcher. His release wasn't exactly quick.

I am a Gators fan, and I'm not sure if he'll turn into a good prototype NFL QB. My instincts tell me not. Nothing about Tebow's game is NFL style.

But I think a smart NFL team could draft him and exploit his strengths and hide his weaknesses. I think I'd start him at FB and have him run with the ball at times, and throw sometimes. Just to get a defense thinking about it. Once a defense is thinking about the FB, they'd start missing other stuff.

I think a decent offense could be built around Tebow. Yes, it would be a gimmick, but it's something that Tebow -- and the offense -- could thrive in, I think.

The worst thing that could happen would be that Tebow goes to a basic drop-back-and-throw (prototypcial NFL) type offense. I don't think Tebow will ever be a Peyton Manning-type NFL QB.

But I do think he could have a significant impact on the NFL if a team uses him well.

And I'm fairly sure the Redskins are not the team for Tebow, as much as they need his leadership.

He has to be willing to play that role for a team then.

Right now he believes he's a QB, and that's it.

They did a short piece on Tebow on Sportscenter yesterday, about how he has completely changed his throwing motion and quickened his release. He doesn't "Jason Cambell" it anymore (start his release from his waist), has better footwork, and a higher point at which he holds the football.

The one thing you can say about Tebow is that he's got a great work ethic, and knows how to win. Will be he a great QB? I dunno, but I guarantee if you put him with a respectable supporting cast, he will win football games.

I believe that he has said before that he'd play whatever position he needed to.

The guy basically served as Florida's fullback anyway. His short-yardage skills were off the charts. He could either pass it or run it in himself. Other times, a bit of a combination -- remember the jump-pass?

I think he'll go late second and third round.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning? Absolutely not.

But a bigger, more athletic, and more accurate version of Jeff Garcia? Sure.

Sam Wyche said:
"He's accurate," Wyche said of Tebow. "He's smart. He anticipates well. He's a commander in the huddle. He has good footwork. … He has agility. He has athleticism. So many things are right about this guy."
Not to derail the thread, but if I had to list Jason Campbell's top 7 weakness, there they are, in no particular order.

Although I'm still on the Colt McCoy bandwagon, I do admit I'm slowing warming up to the idea of Tebow wearing the B&G.

The NFL combine and scouting departments are excellent sources to discover a player's physical abilities, which are certainly important, but in no other position in sports is the quality of leadership more important than in the QB position. And leadership, unfortunately, can't be measured by stop watches, cones and tires, but rather by the testimony of those men who have experienced it first hand. And so far, I've yet to read or hear anything other the fact that Tebow is the guy you want leading your team.

Can't wait to see his Pro Day workout.

You can't not root for the guy. You just can't. I'd really love to see him make it but he's a HUGE risk at QB. There's probably a spot on the field for him somewhere, I just don't know where that is.

you dont thnk campbell is athletic or agile?

man, ive seen him scramble and get 20-25 yards. now he cant slide for shucks but he can get out there and get moving well.

Whenever I see Campbell run, he seems stiff and robotic. A smooth, agile runner is someone like Vick, Vince Young, or old school guys like Elway and Steve Young. Agile, Campbell is definitely not.

Changing positions is not as easy as many people think.

Especially difficult is guys switching from quarterback to a real contact position like fullback or tight end.

Yes, Mike Tice did it.

But look at Eric Crouch who was simply too soft to make it as an NFL wide receiver despite the speed and athletic ability to do so.

Would I draft Tebow in Round 2 or 3 with the idea of 'making' him a fullback.

NO.

I doubt if I would take a fullback at #2 or #3 even if he was ready to play in the NFL because you can find fullback candidates, like safeties, later in the draft or in free agency.

If Tebow is kept as a quarterback and you draft him to play that position than that is a different story.

The odds are against it working, but a #3 pick might be worth it for a team that already has a starting quarterback and can spend 1-2 years developing Tim.

I still have a feeling that if a team drafts Tebow and gives him 2-3 years to develop, he could be the best QB coming out of this class eventually.

The guy is a winner, you want that type of player on your team even if he holds a clipboard.

I doubt he'd be there in the 4th round, but if he was I'd love to see the Skins take him.

If we had a 3rd round pick, I would definitely hope the Skins would take a chance on him. you never know. I watched quite a few Gators games, wife, and do not necessarily think he is QB material, but his hard work and passion has rubbed off on me.

I think he would be worth the gamble. Also, he thinks he is a QB right now, but he has also stated that once he gets to the NFL, he will be willing to play other positions. He just does not want people to think of him that way right now. He wants people to look at him as a QB. I guess I understand where he is coming from.

Having graduated from Florida State University just a bout 15 months ago, I have been forced to follow Tim Tebow at UF since he was the enemy of my alma matter. I have to say, everything I have seen from this kid has impressed me. He was won a National Championship (Back up/part timer in another), the Heisman Trophy and been a major part of one of the best college programs in the last 4 years. He is not afraid of a challenge.

What I saw today with his interview on the NFL Network has elevated my respect for this kid. He is sharp and handles himself very well with the media. Does this translate to a top NFL QB? I don't know, but I like his chances. I think he will be successful in the NFL. He just exudes confidence in his ability.

I saw that same interview Elephant. He just makes you believe in him. I have tons of respect for him. I can see where players get energized and want to follow and fight for him.

Another thing I like about him is he is not afraid to admit that there are deficiencies in his game and he not opposed to changing. He should be very coachable at the next level. Hopefully, a quality coaching system will snag him. It will be his best chance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.