• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Statement From The Washington Redskins 10/31/19

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
October 31, 2019

STATEMENT FROM THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS

The Washington Redskins have requested that the NFL's Management Council convene a joint committee with the NFLPA to review the medical records and the medical care given to Trent Williams. We have requested this review under the NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement that provides for an independent third party review of any NFL player's medical care. The Redskins continue to prioritize the health and well-being of our players and staff. Due to healthcare and privacy regulations, we are unable to comment further at this time. We look forward to the joint committee's results.

-REDSKINS-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's sad they waited until now to do so. Maybe they couldn't legally do that until he reports to the team. But you would think this would have come sooner.

Absolute garbage.

Alex Smith, 17 surgeries in six months.

Went from an organization that had a head coach that would pray for his players to this.

Can it get any lower?

Absolute garbage.

Alex Smith, 17 surgeries in six months.

I promise you - Alex Smith did not have '17 surgeries' in 6 months. It's not possible. He may have had a number of 'procedures' - wound debridements, cleanings, device placements and removals, etc...and he's counting those as 'surgeries'.

I imagine it would be more accurate to say that he had several major surgeries, and numerous procedures to ensure the wounds and bones were healing and viable.

But that doesn't sound nearly as good as '17 surgeries'. But hey - I've only spent 25 years in healthcare, half of it running ortho surgical units. I'm not a Twitter expert.

The point is a well run organization would have resolved this issue back in March-June and either made things right with Williams or set the stage to trade him.

Instead they buried their heads in the sand and assumed Trent would ‘get over' his concerns and report to camp on time.

That I can imagine was largely Bruce telling Snyder that things would blow over once Trent was threatened with fines.

I don't have 1/100th of the experience that you have. I'm just passing along what everyone's reporting:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-broken-leg-suffered-last-year-with-redskins/

I'm just trying to provide a little perspective here, that's all. The problem I have with social media is that folks don't care about details or context. You can call a PICC line insertion a 'surgery' or 'operation'. And I guess it's not technically incorrect. But it's certainly misleading as hell. Medicare doesn't even call it a surgery unless you went under general anesthesia in most cases. I react against those kinds of statements because, they are very misleading. He had several horrific fractures in one of the worst anatomic places you can have them. He had post-op complications. It happens to the absolute best surgeons and MDs in the world. And as I've tried to educate folks on, a lot of them happen outside of controlled settings well after hospital discharge. Infections and other complications can happen anytime, anywhere - can be caused by equipment, surgeons, nurses, outpatient staff, family members, and even the patient himself.

I'm about done preaching logic to Redskins fans though. You guys spew on and enjoy yourselves.

Boone, it's not who is at fault and placing blame if I am the owner.

First and foremost it is reaching out and having a dialogue with the player.

That should have happened months ago in the Spring.

You know damn well that Ted Leonsis would have reached out.

I am only imagining that Mike Rizzo or Mark Lerner would have done the same thing.

You don't let problems fester for months with no resolution in sight.

First - it's not good business.

Second - there are 52 other players looking at how this is treated.

Ultimately, the decision even with good intentions might have been that a trade was necessary.

At that point it needed to be executed so everyone could move on.

Bruce acts like he is Cromwell running a country and branding any disagreeing parties as heretics.

That type of sports management went out 20 years ago.

I appreciate your expertise and insight Boone.

Would you say 17 procedures is just very uncommon, or almost unheard of?

I think the discussion in re Alex Smith takes us off point.

Smith is not contesting the treatment he has received and there has been no accusations in that regard as far as I know.

Also, I remember when Joe Theismann's leg snapped in that Monday night game he endured a number of procedures to try and come back to the NFL, which was ultimately unsuccessful as we know.

Trent's case is somewhat unique in the NFL as far as I recall.

Most contested injuries or medical issues come from play on the field.

I can't really answer that because I don't know what those '17' procedures/surgeries were. If there is a major infection where tissue is degraded or becomes necrotic, it could require numerous debridements. Those are essentially sterile 'scrapings' of dead tissue done at the bedside or in the office with oral or IV pain meds. They might also have had to reopen a surgical incision and do antibiotic rinses. It's not really a 'new surgery', just going in by opening the previous incision and rinsing with antibiotic solution.

By no means am I minimizing what Smith went through. It sucks. My only 2 points are - bad outcomes don't necessarily mean anyone did anything wrong. Most of the time, it's impossible to know how infections/complications occurred. Call the Mayo Clinic, or John's Hopkins or go to their websites. People die during surgeries, get infections, have post-op strokes, MIs, etc... etc... It's unfortunate but it happens.

The interesting thing is - Alex Smith has nothing but praise for his medical care and surgeons. But fans want to run them out of town on a rail - and based on what? Not one shred of real meaningful information other than '17 surgeries'.

I don't mean to conflate the two, but Alex is also currently receiving $85 million to be a good soldier?

The fact that they're even considering a return to the field for him is akin to having kept Jordan Reed active this season.

I think the discussion in re Alex Smith takes us off point.

Smith is not contesting the treatment he has received and there has been no accusations in that regard as far as I know.

Also, I remember when Joe Theismann's leg snapped in that Monday night game he endured a number of procedures to try and come back to the NFL, which was ultimately unsuccessful as we know.

Trent's case is somewhat unique in the NFL as far as I recall.

That's a fair point. But I think it IS relevant in one regard. Folks THINK they know all the facts and are quick to judge and impugn. But not one single person here (myself included) has one iota of a valid idea whether Trent Williams received incompetent or inappropriate medical care.

Allen is either clueless or the biggest egomaniac prick (next to Snyder) of all time - I'm not sure which? Both maybe. Letting this Trent Williams stuff fester and turn into a public relations nightmare, while getting nothing of value for him or resolving the situation in any way - it's incompetent.

As for the medical stuff, I'm telling you that none of us knows whether anyone did a thing inappropriately. That, for me, is a separate discussion.

And I've never heard of a player relying on team sports physicians to diagnose an ongoing scalp tumor. So there's that :)

I knew this was going to happen if Williams was not traded - he was going to come to town and use the local media to torch the Redskins and try and make them look foolish.

And I am not Einstein.

So, the Redskins should have seen that scenario playing out and making the damn trade.

I actually this is a good move on the part of the club at this point. Assuming they acted in good faith from the beginning and have the records to prove that, letting an independent 3rd party investigate it and defend them is a whole lot better than getting into a he-said-she-said fight in the media with battling press releases.

It does not change that earlier situations should have been handled better but it appears to be a good move at the moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.