• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Why the hiring of Shanny and Grimm's election to the HOF are both a sign about the OL

@DCGoldPants

The Rookie
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Bottom line is this.....John Elway needed Shanny and his Running Game......AND Shanny needed John Elway and his leadership.

But make no mistake. Those superbowls might have been loaded with highlight Elway plays. But the season was on the back of Davis and their blocking scheme. They put Elway and Davis in a position to make plays and to win those superbowls. This isn't to say Elway wasn't a great QB in NFL History, because he was. It just says that you need a little help from your friends...and during those seasons...it was the difference.

Then you have Grimm. The 1st hog to make it into the HOF. A symbol of what make the Skins of the 80's and early 90's so great. Without the Hogs, average QB's like ours wouldn't have had great performances. Rookie RB's wouldn't make Superbowl history. He steps into the HOF this summer and I think its very fitting as our franchise is changing again also.

I know there are sexy picks for a QB of Safety with that #4 overall. But I just can't believe that unless OL is really handled in FA and with almost all the other rounds in the draft...how you can pass on a big OT there. It just makes too much sense to do.

I'm open minded, and trust Allen/Shanny that they know what they're doing...even if they take a QB #4 overall.

But today on Feb 23rd, 2010.....a OL is the smart pick in my opinion.

Am I wrong?

The argument goes both ways - Elway needed Shanahan to win a Superbowl, but Shanahan needed Elway also. TD was fantastic in those superbowl years, but I don't think Trent Dilfer would have won on those teams. Maybe, but I doubt it.

The argument goes both ways - Elway needed Shanahan to win a Superbowl, but Shanahan needed Elway also. TD was fantastic in those superbowl years, but I don't think Trent Dilfer would have won on those teams. Maybe, but I doubt it.

Elway went to superbowls without that OL and running game, and lost....... I think the OL and running game was the difference.

Dilfer won because of that defense, same with Brad Johnson.

Elway went to superbowls without that OL and running game, and lost....... I think the OL and running game was the difference.

Dilfer won because of that defense, same with Brad Johnson.

Elway went to three superbowls against dominating teams; the NFC was simply the better conference back then, and it wasn't close - I don't think having TD or Shanahan would have helped.

Elway went to three superbowls against dominating teams; the NFC was simply the better conference back then, and it wasn't close - I don't think having TD or Shanahan would have helped.

They were favored when we beat them in the superbowl. I know the NFC had an amazing run. But come on. They could had run better, it would have meant ball control, and less pressure on elway.

nope, but who would you pick for OL at 4?

or would you trade down and try to get possibly 2 players?

You always look at all options and if the trade down option is possible and Shanahan/Allen can work a great deal......great.

Problem is that we are talking about the #4 pick and it's hefty contract, I doubt we'll get many biters on trading the pick.

If I had to make a choice on LT right now, I'd take Okung

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.