• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Post-Game Skins Quotes 10/20/19: Bill Callahan

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
REDSKINS INTERIM HEAD COACH BILL CALLAHAN

Opening statement:
“Tough loss today to a good football team. I was proud of the way our guys competed and against one of the better offenses and defenses in the league. Unfortunately, we came up on the short side of the stick. Overall, I see some improvement out there. There are some things we have to fix, and we're headed on a short week. There's a rapid turnaround as we get ready for Minnesota on Thursday night.”

On pass attempts:
“The conditions, on both sides, played into the decision to run the ball a little more and obviously be more controlled in the pass and limit the pass attempts. But that was more field conditions and weather conditions throughout the game. Unfortunately, we wanted some more attempts and we just didn't have that opportunity.”

On penalties:
“It did, and it hurt us. It put us behind the sticks a few times and we could've rebounded. We needed those critical conversions to stay in a tight game like it was. So you're exactly right, we have to do better. We have to do a better job. We improved that aspect of where we were at a week ago, but they didn't show up today. We have to get back and fix it.”

On the short pass attempts:
“That's basically where we were at during the course of the game. We had some third and short opportunities and third and longs. There were a couple of plays where I thought we had some canned systems with it, but by and large, we just didn't do enough. We didn't do a good enough job as coaches. You have to give credit to their defense. They did a nice job. Some of the things we had just didn't get executed.”

On not scoring on the opening drive:
“Well, it was early so I really thought we could rebound from that. I've got all the confidence in the world in Hop [K Dustin Hopkins], and I just felt that we'd be back in it and we'd have another opportunity. We made that decision again as we went back down the field in the second quarter. We didn't make fourth in the fourth and short conversion in the running game. But if we had a kick, we would've been confident in Hop to do that. But I really felt that particular situation merited a go-for try. Unfortunately, we didn't make that critical short yardage play – fourth and inches. That's a play we've gone to many times and to not get that executed was disappointing.”

On the fourth down conversion attempt:
“I just felt that it was, you know, one of our better plays that we've been successful with. We have confidence that the players know the play. And AP [Adrian Peterson] is AP and we have total confidence in his ability to pick up the first. There's some penetration at the point of attack. I don't know about the read. I'll have to take a look at the film to really see what really happened in there. Sideline pictures showed you could have a couple different options but overall, we just didn't get it done. We just did not get that done.”

On if he's coached in games with similar weather conditions:
“I think back to my days in Oakland [Raiders] and then also in New York [Jets] where we had to play in bad conditions. But this is similar to, like in the Bay Area, when it gets pretty rainy out in the late, late fall. But these were tough conditions. You know, I think both quarterbacks had trouble and receivers had trouble handling the ball. I think that was throughout the course of the game. But you got to give San Francisco credit, they made a couple of catches in the second half that pulled them out of trouble and they capitalized. So yes, tough conditions but its tough conditions on both sides.”

On changing game plan due to the weather:
“We stayed with the packages that we had. We just tried to control the calls a little bit differently.”

On the conversation with RB Adrian Peterson after his fumble:
“Those are tough situations when you have a Hall of Fame type of runner and the ball goes on the floor on him. We really talked about ball security and put an emphasis on it. We worked on it during practice, and it's disappointing but it's not always the back's fault. You look at the back and they get hit from different angles. You try to secure the ball from all those possible angels – whether it's from behind or the side or whether it's a punch-out by a defender's hand or a strip by a defender's hand or head on the ball. We're always safeguarding against that, but I think he's one of the greatest competitors I've seen. And he's going to work and do everything he can to get that yard. And unfortunately, when you're in bad conditions like this, you know ball security, and you got to double your efforts. He was doing that throughout the game. Unfortunately, I think we had some penetration from the backside and allowed a defender to get in there and make a play on the ball. I'm not certain. I'd have to confirm it on film, but that's what it kind of looked like on the sideline pictures from what we could see.”

On WR Terry McLaurin:
“Well, I thought Terry made a big play on third down. The one early in the game, and we just didn't quite utilize enough of that. I take the fault on that. We just need to do more to get him open and utilize his skillset.”

On the 49ers players celebrating and sliding on the field after the game:
“I'm not going to comment on anything like that. What they do is their business, and we just didn't do enough today to win. I learned a long time ago, when you win, say little. And when you lose, say less. So we've got nothing to say except take care of our own business and refocus and get ready here on a short week for Minnesota.”

On the message to team during a short week:
“Yeah, we just talked about it. We're just going to have to make the quick turnaround and get in the film room tomorrow and start the Minnesota preparation. We're not going to have time to sit down and rehash this film. There may be some critical situations. We'll talk about it, but we're going to move on quickly. We'll be on a plane Wednesday for Minneapolis, so we really got to refocus and prepare for the Vikings. This is going to be a really quick turnaround for us.”

On starting QB Case Keenum over QB Dwayne Haskins:
“Yeah, I think Dwayne's still learning. I think he'd be the first one to tell you that. We still have faith, total faith, in Case and his ability to manage this offense and run this offense and execute everything within it. We're moving forward with Case at this juncture.”

On his postgame conversation with 49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan:
“I did [speak with him]. I just wished him good luck along the way. It was a good game. They did a good job.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.