• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 10/10/19: Callahan, Manusky

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
skinsquotes.png

October 10, 2019
Interim Head Coach Bill Callahan

Opening statement:
“First off, a coaching announcement with the transition. [Offensive Line Coach] Phil Rauscher has stepped into my role, my former role, as the Head Offensive Line Coach and we hired Aaron Stamn as the Offensive Assistant to assist Phil. So those are the two men that have moved up with the transition that we've made this week.”

On what he's seen from quarterbacks through two days:
“We're just working through the reps, just taking into account everything that's transpiring in the basic practice. Really nothing has changed. We're still making our assessments and our evaluations.”

On what he saw from QB Colt McCoy on tape:
“We thought he made some really good throws. He was under duress a few times, but overall just getting back into a groove and playing again – he hasn't played in quite some time. Didn't really get under the pressure or the heat of the pass rush and New England has an excellent, outstanding pass rush. Just to get back underneath that and get into the flow of moving and pushing into the pocket, and getting his body in different positions to make throws or to make plays. I think, by and large, he did a pretty good job. I think he's still working through improving, getting his timing down, getting a feel for the rush and also his timing of getting the ball out. I think all of those will get better with time.”

On how TE Vernon Davis has looked and what role he might play on Sunday:
“He was out today. He was limited and that was it. Just keeping an eye on him and seeing how he progresses day to day.”

On what he's seen from RB Adrian Peterson through five weeks and whether he can lead the backfield:
“Well, it's interesting because he's an in-between-the-tackles type of runner, I don't think that's any secret. He's always been an explosive runner, physical and capable of making a variety of cuts and has a relentless attitude in terms of pushing the ball up the field and finishing off plays. There are times when the play may be blocked for two yards and he gets five or six. That's what he did last year. It was amazing to see [RB Adrian Peterson] rush for over 1,000 yards last year with a line that was completely banged up. To his credit, what a fierce competitor. Watching him down in and down out, some of the carries that he had last year versus the competition – wow. I've got total respect for that; he's really special in that respect. So this year we haven't had as many attempts, but there are times when he has flashed pretty well and, like I mentioned the other day, we just haven't gotten enough into a rhythm to allow him to get lathered up and to really see what he can potentially do for the duration of a game.”

On his thoughts on how refs help to clean up penalties:
“That's one of them and just making the players more aware of what they're doing on the practice field, not only there but in the team room. The penalty report goes up every day and we cover it, we review it with the team. We review what's being called so we're more conscious of what's going on on the practice field, not to allow any sloppiness and to really try and become more disciplined and more precise in our technique. I think it's a good thing. I was accustomed to it when I was with Dallas, when I was with the Jets. We had officials at every practice, it was pretty much modus operandi, so that to me was something that we needed to put another focus on an area that we can improve in and hopefully it'll pay off. There are no guarantees, but I just think it gives us the chance to be fully aware of what we're doing and to be more disciplined along the line of scrimmage, in the backend, receiver play, line play, rush play – I think those are all important aspects, so cleaning up our hands, cleaning up the line of scrimmage procedure penalties and be more diligent. I would say just lining up in formations and knowing who's on and who's off, so all the eligibles are intact and we can prevent those needless penalties that push us back in the down and distance.”

On how to rectify third-down struggles:
“We visited the other day about staying manageable, going from first and second-down into first-down again and avoiding third-down at all costs. Well, you're going to have those third-down situations, but if you go back and really study and look at where we've been in third-down we've been in double digits and it's hard to overcome, it's really hard to overcome. The rush is on top of you, the coverage sags a little bit more, they drop another defender in it, it makes it tough to hold the ball and get completions downfield. So, if we can improve and regulate where we're at relative to the down and distances of our play and eliminate the negative aspects of our execution, it gives us a chance to be in more manageable situations. That's really the focus the last two days of going out on the field and working, second-down conversion football – today we worked on third-down, we had a pressure drill and we had another third-down/mixed-down period, and really focused on working all the coverages on all the conversions that are necessary against those coverages that we're going to see.”

On why to incorporate bicycles on sidelines:
“Those are for the rehabilitation guys just to make sure their conditioning levels stay up, and I think it's good for the team to see everybody working. Those guys are working hard to get back on the field.”

On bringing back one-on-ones:
“I really, really believe that during the course of a season you need a heightened competitive period on a daily basis. What's better than best-versus-best or one-on-ones? We had a spirited third-down drill today and we had five reps, and it was really outstanding. I thought our players got the most out of that period and it allows them to go full speed and compete. It's unbelievable when you put how competitive they are, when you match them up, and you ask them to compete and go against each other in a crucial situation. They come alive pretty well. I just like their spirit and I like their energy today on the field, and those are all positives. A lot of good takeaways from today, I thought we worked better today as a group and as a team.”

On how fast they're playing in practice:
“Game speed.”

On how he spends his time on the field during practice:
“I thought about that carefully, how I'd spend my time on the field because I think any time you go on the grass it's important to have eyes on every position. In the situation we're in right now with the transition we've made, I can't have eyes everywhere, so what I've done is I've divided up my time at the beginning of practice to go with the offensive line and help fill with some individual drills and some schematic drills. Then I break my time from there and spend some time with the defensive line today, focusing on improving our pass rush. I spent time with the backend a little bit, watching them and watching our receivers a little bit. So, I'm starting to get around a little bit more, I've been basically tied to the line throughout my career, but when I was a head coach I always ventured around, I always moved around the practice field. I think it's important that the players see you, that you have a presence and that you have a critique for them that can help them improve their play. So if I don't get it on the field with a particular player, I'll usually make a cut-up film and show the team or show the player exactly what I'm looking for.”

On whether his daily schedule has changed:
“Somewhat, yeah. In that respect, yes because I do spend time with the coordinators, I do spend time with position coaches. My day's a little bit different. It's not just exclusively focused in on the offensive line and trying to work that area. I'm still on top of the game plan offensively and in most of the meetings with the offense, some meetings with the defense. I think as we move along in time I'll spend a little bit more time with the defense, try to split my time and share it and divide it equally, but we'll see how it goes.”

Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky

On what the difference was in the first and second half against the Patriots:
“They were running the ball a little bit more in the second half. I think when they went in at halftime they made some adjustments and they just said, ‘We're going to run the ball.' And we didn't have enough ‘oomf' behind us to stop the run and we gotta make sure that when we get in those situations, we've gotta stop the run. That's the biggest thing.”

On when he found out about the head coaching change:
“When I woke up the next morning. You know, there's a lot of change in the National Football League across the board. I've been in it a long time, from a players' perspective, from [a] coach's perspective and the owner made a decision along with [Team President] Bruce [Allen] to move on and support [Interim Head Coach] Bill [Callahan].”

On if Callahan set expectations for him and the defense when they met:
“I think he's got a lot on his plate right now. When we sat down to talk, [I asked], ‘What can I do to help you to improve?' And there was a couple questions that went back and forth and it wasn't much because he had a lot on his plate.”

On how an effective running game help the defense:
“Well that's huge. I think from a defensive perspective, if you get the ball run on you like we did in the second half [last game], it's hard. And hopefully our offense will do that and hopefully we'll be able to stop the run.”

On preparing for two quarterbacks against Miami:
“Both quarterbacks, they're two different guys. Both guys, we've gotta make sure that we're maintaining rush lanes real well. And number two, they can make all the throws, both of them do and we gotta make sure we defense on the outside and in.”

On if they have practiced different pass drills based on what both quarterbacks can do:
“Definitely.”

On the expectations of the defense after meeting with Callahan:
“Expectations [are to] get after the quarterback and make sure we stop the run. I think those were the biggest two things that I came out of the meeting with him and that's what we gotta do. We gotta make sure that we get off on third down as well and he understands that, being an offensive line coach and being in that position.”

On if he and Callahan talked about his job security:
“No. We just talked about how we could get better across the board and that's about it.”

On what the keys are to forcing young quarterbacks to turn the ball over:
“Same thing, we gotta get pressure on the cat. Every time you put pressure on the quarterback, he feels it wherever he is – up the gut, in the middle or on the outside. We haven't been thee. We did a decent job against [Patriots QB Tom] Brady getting four sacks, especially with a three-man rush at times. But we have to do the same thing against Miami and the quarterbacks.”

On what he thinks the players gain from the changes in practice:
“It's just competition. The best thing about it is those guys competed today. There's certain periods that he's pulled out the last two days, which is awesome for us. We've gotta compete. It doesn't matter what offensive formation, defensive formation, defensive call, he wants to see competitive natural and that's what we did, which was awesome.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In re Manusky, stopping the run in the second half as Doc likes to say is a manhood issue.

The Redskins front seven was not strong enough to win their one on one matchups and get guys on the ground.

The linebackers were blocked by the Pats fill in fullback (Develin is on IR) and OK set of tight ends.

This talent is overrated and soft.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.