• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

immediate changes I want to see

Rymanofthenorth

BGObsessed
Reaction score
I live in the warmest city in the coldest provinc
Alma Mater
UTEP
1- scrap the 3-4, I dont care if we run a simplified 4-3 I want to see what players are worth keeping so we need to tell our young guys " get out there, play football and earn a job for next year because we will be watching to see who mails it in.

2- play some different coverages, mix it up back there. give the young guys field time. know there will be mistakes but let the guys know, if you screw up, screw up at a 100 miles an hour, no hesitation plays.

3-on offence focus on running the ball mix in some play action and max pro, protect Haskins and let him know we dont expect him to throw 50 times a game, we just want him to show us some improvement.

4- start raiding other teams practice rosters, start looking at CFL guys, start bringing in anyone who even maybe could help us improve.

5- for next year, start looking at young coaches who have fresh minds, but have some experience, take a risk but not a huge one. thats how we found gibbs and pettitbon, you go after guys who are at the beginning of their careers but who have shown they will bust ass and learn.

6 be honest with the fans, we know we suck, but it would be nice to hear " we are building"

We don't need a young, dynamic mind to be head coach...we need someone who will come in here and lay down the law, demand autonomy on the field, and have a FO who will get him the players he wants. Get a great defensive Coordinator, and hire the young dynamo to run the offense. We should have brought in Zimmer instead of Gruden in the first place. Can you imagine what this team would have looked like with Zimmer as the HC with McVay as the OC for a couple years?

Snyder has to understand that Allen is a failure, that is the foremost need in this organization. It appears that Snyder doesn't trust anyone else, but he trusts Gibbs more than Allen.

I'm not saying go get Gibbs to be a part of the team, again...at any level in a permanent role. I hope his football days are behind him for good. However, Snyder should ask his help to build the organization from scratch.

That's where it should start, the rest would fall into place. The man simply knows how to build success. Get Gibbs to help build it, putting someone in place Snyder can learn to trust...not another yes man.

That's what Vince Lombardi did here in 1969 in delivering a rare winning season.

He used the season to continually churn backup and depth positions with undrafted rookies, other teams picks and released veterans.

Jimmy Johnson did the same thing in 1990 in Dallas.

It was an open casting call for talent others may have missed.

On this team are our backups at OL, RB, TE, LB, or DB so good that at least a few players off practice squads from around the league wouldn't deserve a shot here?

I disagree on Haskins. The pick is spent.

If you try to sell him now or in the offseason you might not get a #2 for him.

No, as an asset on the roster you have to play him and evaluate what you have.

I am not going to prejudge based on what Jay said.

Quite frankly, Jay was lazy and didn't want to have to teach anyone anything.

And in practices and camp he allowed poor execution to pass and then wondered why the team didn't come through in games.

Jay Schroeder didn't know a damn thing about playing qb in the NFL. He was a baseball player that played qb in college.

In 1985 when Theismann went down Gibbs morphed his offense to suit what Jay could do well (throw the deep ball) off play action and the team finished 10-6.

With another offseason to work with him Gibbs got 4,000 yards and 20 plus touchdowns out of Schroeder in 1986 on the way to 12-4.

I disagree on Haskins. The pick is spent.

If you try to sell him now or in the offseason you might not get a #2 for him.

No, as an asset on the roster you have to play him and evaluate what you have.

I am not going to prejudge based on what Jay said.

I just don't agree on Haskins...he's a bust. Yes, it's conjecture, but I am not going to shy from it. He's a bust.

If we do end up in a position to draft Tua, we are rebuilding so whether Haskins is an asset or liability, it doesn't matter...Tua is an instant upgrade at the position and makes the Skins better.

Jared Goff looked like a bust under Jeff Fisher who failed to use the picks from the Griffin trade to build anything with the Rams.

In re Haskins, I am not making any judgments until he gets on the field after solid week of preparation over a number of weeks AND is evaluated by the new HC come January.

Jay Gruden's dirty hands are all over everything right now and again I would not trust his long-term judgment.

Remember Jay is the guy that prodded McCloughan to take Doctson and championed Colt McCoy, Ryan Grant, Samaje Perine and Rob Kelley as NFL players.

Jared Goff looked like a bust under Jeff Fisher who failed to use the picks from the Griffin trade to build anything with the Rams.

In re Haskins, I am not making any judgments until he gets on the field after solid week of preparation over a number of weeks AND is evaluated by the new HC come January.

Jay Gruden's dirty hands are all over everything right now and again I would not trust his long-term judgment.

Remember Jay is the guy that prodded McCloughan to take Doctson and championed Colt McCoy, Ryan Grant, Samaje Perine and Rob Kelley as NFL players.

I'm not basing my assertion about Haskins on Jay Gruden's report card...I didn't want the pick in the 1st place. We could have had Brian Burns rushing from the edge instead of Sweat, still had our 2nd round pick next year, and had a chance at Tua in the upcoming draft.

Ironically Gruden was high on Sweat, so he ended up getting the player he wanted, just at #26 rather than #15 .

I'm not basing my assertion about Haskins on Jay Gruden's report card...I didn't want the pick in the 1st place. We could have had Brian Burns rushing from the edge instead of Sweat, still had our 2nd round pick next year, and had a chance at Tua in the upcoming draft.

I'm not convinced on Tua either though.

I'm not convinced on Tua either though.

Some think Tua is over rated, I've watched that kid play a lot of games, he has what it takes to succeed in today's NFL.

I don't think Haskins does. Haskins has shown very little ability to feel the pressure closing in on him, no pocket awareness.

And I would much rather have Trevor Lawrence, but that would mean 2-14 next year, not this year...unfortunately.

Well if Haskins ran out of the shotgun exclusively in college I don't understand why we can't make changes here to accommodate that to some degree.

Brady is in shotgun A LOT in NE so don't tell me you have to be under center predominantly to win.

This staff under Gruden though made NO compromises for the talent and we can go back to when Kirk was here.

Haskins has the physical tools and is eager to learn. A competent qb coach & offensive coordinator should get a shot to coach him before redrafting the qb position imho. Getting him a stable o-line with a real 2-way te would be a helluva start.

For the remainder of this season I'd try and trade some vets for future picks. I'd honestly see if NE would give us late rounder for AP as well, he's one of the few that deserves a shot at a title.

Trade Trent for the best offer outside the NFC East, all vets that aren't in the 3-5 year docket as well. Stockpile picks like a muhfuh.

Next draft is about drafting the most physical O-line possible and anything else that contributes to a run game. A solid gm not named Bruce could work wonders trading down and stockpiling picks.

Get Haskins a beast line and a solid running game and our current defense holds up MUCH betterer

Rye, you had me completely on board other than trading Haskins. All good but he hasn't even come close to a fair chance yet.

hmmmmm.....

I'm a bit more inclined to like Haskins than I was the original pick from a taklent pov. That said, there is something nagging in the back of my mind based on rumors only that Haskins is a whiny kid behind the scenes.

Well if Haskins ran out of the shotgun exclusively in college I don't understand why we can't make changes here to accommodate that to some degree.

Brady is in shotgun A LOT in NE so don't tell me you have to be under center predominantly to win.

This staff under Gruden though made NO compromises for the talent and we can go back to when Kirk was here.

I won't argue that Gruden failed to get the most from his players, you and I are definitely on the same page there. I think Gruden is so petty that he threw players to the wolves, the FO pushed on him. And I believe he would not change the scheme to prove to the FO he knew better.

What we fail to find common ground is on Haskins. Some things can be taught in this league, instinct isn't one of them, it's the same failing as RG3. If you don't know how to feel the pressure, and give yourself simply one split second more by stepping up in the pocket...greats like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning could do, or avoid it altogether by extending plays like the Russell Wilson types of the game, a QB will not succeed. Any tape I've seen on Haskins shows he doesn't have the instincts those greats have, he just has the quick release . And...being young and full of drive, he forces his throws into coverage.

Guys are born with that talent, never saw one develop it when all they have is a single year of success in a college conference where they don't know how to play defense. And by success, I mean beat 3 teams worth a damn in 14 games.

my worry about Haskins is that people who eval guys have said that he looks like he is afraid of contact and reads defences very slowly, that and a team shouldnt be BETTER on offence when its QB graduates. I say trade him now before word gets out that he is simply not that good.

also we need to start raiding practice rosters and looking at the cfl, getting players from wherever we can find them. I have said this for 3 years now. I would bring in mitchell from calgary at qb, I would be looking at CFL Olines for pass protectors, I would be willing to try everything

Well, I was hoping Callahan would replace Manusky right away. But that ship has sailed. For now anyway.

So, what I want to see in the near future, is for Callahan to do what he said he was at the presser. Get this team to take on an identity for being a tough running team.

The Loser couldn't get the offense to help out the defense, at all. The D has many of their own problems, for sure. But an offense that can't score, or at least at a minimum, eat enough clock to give the D a breather, is useless.

So I want to see fewer penalties, and more run production.

I think it's close to impossible to make a full switch in the midst of a season.
Especially since the same group that can't coach/teach the 3-4, would be the ones trying to now teach/coach the 4-3.
Next offseason is the time for that.

So, please don't give up on Callahan too soon.

We can sure as heck shed Manusky. It's his defense that has surrendered almost 30 pts a game. The team knew last year Manusky was a loser. But Brudan were not going to hire an independent, strong willed DC. And so....here we are.

if you are a football coach, and you are even half decent, you know how to coach a 4-3 or a 3-4 you should understand concepts and basic technique. I am not a professional coach but I could coach any position on defence in almost any scheme. its football. you should be able to switch on the go, I guarantee that guys who are playing pro, can pick up simple schemes easily its when they egt complex that you have problems. I remember once in college, the 3-4 was not working at all, and we switched to a 4-3 base despite not having practiced it at all all week. I moved from DE to 3 tech, we bumped our OLB's down to end and moved our nose to 1 tech and we ended up playing much better lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.