• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Who will be the new Head Coach

The drafts the last few years have been better. They've been better since McClueless left. The problems are not the draft. The draft is only one aspect of building a team. Even if Allen has been great at drafting, which I think he's been good not great, that's only the start. Developing the players, getting players through free agency that fit and perform well, hiring coaches who can teach the players and develop them, hiring coaches who can coach well in game, and building an organization that is successful are things he fails at. Not to mention alienating personnel and fans. So discussing the draft and his success or even failures doesn't change anything. He still sucks at his job overall and that's why he needs to be fired.

I guess this isn't a hill I really want to die on, but I don't know how anyone can look at drafts since 2016 and declare them much of anything. '17 looks fair. This year looks like it might be ok.

I'm glad we are actually acquiring draft picks rather trading them all away. I'll give the team that much. I just think we are all still seeing more 'potential' out of our own guys than is necessarily there. Playing half the snaps on a crap team that gets worse every year does not make someone a great draft pick. The Trey Quinns of the world, God bless em, aren't going to win us any trophies.

Anyway, I do agree with the point of this post. The problem isn't really the draft anyway. It's that when we DO hit picks, such as with guys like Preston Smith or Jamison Crowder or Kendall Fuller or possibly Brandon Scherff, we often fail to recognize or maximize their abilities and we show them the door. And then we have to start all over again.

It all comes back to the same thing. We have no consistency in the front office, and that trickles down to everything thing else, which makes sustained success practically impossible. That's what GSF was touching on before I jumped down his throat :) and I do agree with that.

So back to the point of the thread, I don't know that there is a coach that can manage this situation. Maybe GSF is right. Maybe someone out there has the Secret Sauce to hold the team together with one hand while keeping Snyder at arms' length (but not so far away as to tick him off) with the other. I have no idea who that might be, though.

Yeah... we are winding down quickly here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess this isn't a hill I really want to die on, but I don't know how anyone can look at drafts since 2016 and declare them much of anything. '17 looks fair. This year looks like it might be ok.

I'm glad we are actually acquiring draft picks rather trading them all away. I'll give the team that much. I just think we are all still seeing more 'potential' out of our own guys than is necessarily there. Playing half the snaps on a crap team that gets worse every year does not make someone a great draft pick. The Trey Quinns of the world, God bless em, aren't going to win us any trophies.

Anyway, I do agree with the point of this post. The problem isn't really the draft anyway. It's that when we DO hit picks, such as with guys like Preston Smith or Jamison Crowder or Kendall Fuller or possibly Brandon Scherff, we often fail to recognize or maximize their abilities and we show them the door. And then we have to start all over again.

It all comes back to the same thing. We have no consistency in the front office, and that trickles down to everything thing else, which makes sustained success practically impossible. That's what GSF was touching on before I jumped down his throat :) and I do agree with that.

So back to the point of the thread, I don't know that there is a coach that can manage this situation. Maybe GSF is right. Maybe someone out there has the Secret Sauce to hold the team together with one hand while keeping Snyder at arms' length (but not so far away as to tick him off) with the other. I have no idea who that might be, though.

I think we agree on the main point. I think looking only at the draft, we can find success and failures and if we stick only to that, it can mask the other things. The Patriots whiff on a lot of picks and no one cares because the rest of the structure of the organization and the team is so good. The Redskins hitting on some picks hasn't meant squat. And yeah, we may think the picks are better than they are because they aren't all disasters like they used to be. So the draft may just be the tallest midget of the organization and we may think it's huge. But overall the organization is a mess. The next coach is going to have to have someone above him he trusts. I fear they will do thing backwards and hire a coach first, then the GM, which will inevitably cause issues.

Thanks for your replies and I didn't take it that you were jumping down my throat amigo. Admittedly my Skins bar is now set quite low when it comes to draft picks, expectations, ect, which was kinda the point I was trying to make. The idea that DS is going to fire Allen, hire a high level GM, and then hand the keys to said GM just seems like a pipe dream to me. I understand why that's what everyone wants to happen, but there is just zero evidence from the past 20 years that it actually could happen, which is why I think an old school, work hard and stay under the radar kind of coach like Callahan is probably the Skins' best chance at being competitive.

Also, I'll just add that I understand your point that just because recent draft picks are starting doesn't necessarily make them good, but we don't really know how good the Skins' recent draft picks are for the most part because of the terrible coaching and preparation they received from Gruden. The fact that the Skins have so many young players on the field and have been competitive in every game since the firing of Gruden tells me that they might be pretty good with the proper coaching and preparation. I still want to see how the final 3 games go, but I'm predicting that the Skins play hard, and just might run the table. If the Skins do win out, I say you make Callahan the coach and hope for the best! Do I think they'll be perennial superbowl contenders? Hell no, but at least they'll be prepared and competitive. Again, low bar...

Day after the Super Bowl will be our last day :(

This makes me sad, I honestly do love this site you guys created. Although I completely understand why it's happening as well, just tough all around

This makes me sad, I honestly do love this site you guys created. Although I completely understand why it's happening as well, just tough all around

We're sad too. I know we're shutting down something a core group of great people love. It's just become too much work and $$ for a declining group of users. I wish we had the same energy and interest we did early on. If we did, we wouldn't be shutting it down. It is what it is unfortunately and I can't sustain the effort on my own anymore.

Holy shit - Urban Meyer is attending this game. Could that just be him supporting Haskins or should we read into that?

Holy shit - Urban Meyer is attending this game. Could that just be him supporting Haskins or should we read into that?

Notice who isn't ​in any shots so far?

You mean Snyder or Allen?

You mean Snyder or Allen?

Allen. Shots of Urban Meyer talking with Alex Smith and others, no Brucie to be seen.

Edit: George Allen sighting... no Brucie.

Last edited:
Allen. Shots of Urban Meyer talking with Alex Smith and others, no Brucie to be seen.

Edit: George Allen sighting... no Brucie.

I forgot Alex Smith was his QB at Utah.

Edit: And is there still no Bruce Allen sighting?

I forgot Alex Smith was his QB at Utah.

Edit: And is there still no Bruce Allen sighting?

Urban Meyer is attending this game. Could that just be him supporting Haskins or should we read into that?

He coached Alex Smith...who was practically sitting next to him. And he recruited Haskins.
That could be all. Nobody knows if there's more.
But there's no doubt which direction media and fans will take it.

Last edited:
Unless Bruce is fired, it doesn't matter if Lombardi himself is reanimated and comes to coach for us

Hows about

GM Eric Schaffer
HC Urban Meyer
OC Alex Smiff
DC Ron Rivera...?

Rivera won't settle for a DC position imho. But that's a helluva dream :)

I beleive I caught Allen in a quick camera pan sitting to the right one set of seats up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.