• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Who will be the new Head Coach

Holy shit - Urban Meyer is attending this game. Could that just be him supporting Haskins or should we read into that?

btw...McLaurin stated after the game Meyer was only there to support the OSU guys. Of course, McLaurin is smart enough not to say otherwise.

You'll be back one day! with BGO! We all need a break from time to time - especially from this Redskin drama that has been singularly unrewarding.

... :)

Haha, Bruce got moved to the kid table in the owner suite

Yeah, saw Meyer on my TV and had to shake my head. Probably has a better chance of success at making the move than the "Ol'ball Coach" but I'm still left wondering what the chances of real success are.

The cynical side of my fandom has me wondering if it's yet another big name that Snyder wants to bring in just to ignite the fanbase and win a marketing blitz rather than to just win.

Tidbits on the visit, seems the turds are interested in Mr Meyer as well. This may well be the wooing we all anticipated

https://www.nj.com/giants/2019/12/n...hting-for-urban-meyer-as-next-head-coach.html

Read the article Win - that's not accurate (at least per the article)...

"On Tuesday, owner Jerry Jones, who has insisted Garrett will finish the regular season, denied being interested in Meyer. According to The Athletic's Jon Machota, Jones was asked on 105.3 The Fan if he's met with Meyer. “That is not correct. We have not met with any coach,” Jones replied.

By Friday, Jones indicated that Meyer wouldn't even be among the top names on his head coach wish list. Per Machota:

Jerry Jones was very complimentary of Lincoln Riley and Matt Rhule on @1053thefan this morning. But then he pointed out “college coaches have the lowest percentage rate of success” taking over as NFL head coaches, adding that the Cowboys went 1-15 in Jimmy Johnson's first season. “College coaches spend Sundays working. ... In many cases, they aren't that familiar with the (NFL) personnel. Now, that's a big deal. You pay a price for somebody to get up to date that hasn't spent the prior months or years in the NFL.”

Read the article Win - that's not accurate (at least per the article)...

"On Tuesday, owner Jerry Jones, who has insisted Garrett will finish the regular season, denied being interested in Meyer. According to The Athletic's Jon Machota, Jones was asked on 105.3 The Fan if he's met with Meyer. “That is not correct. We have not met with any coach,” Jones replied.

By Friday, Jones indicated that Meyer wouldn't even be among the top names on his head coach wish list. Per Machota:

Jerry Jones was very complimentary of Lincoln Riley and Matt Rhule on @1053thefan this morning. But then he pointed out “college coaches have the lowest percentage rate of success” taking over as NFL head coaches, adding that the Cowboys went 1-15 in Jimmy Johnson's first season. “College coaches spend Sundays working. ... In many cases, they aren't that familiar with the (NFL) personnel. Now, that's a big deal. You pay a price for somebody to get up to date that hasn't spent the prior months or years in the NFL.”

This one says he's interested
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/19/urban-meyer-absolutely-would-take-cowboys-job/

(Appearing Friday on Colin Cowherd's radio show, Meyer made it clear that he's interested in the Cowboys job.

“That's New York Yankees, that's the Dallas Cowboys,” )

FWIW

Last edited:
I don't think that's surprising. Despite the fact that the Cowboys haven't had much more success than the Redskins over the past 20 years, for whatever reason they are a ‘sexy' franchise and always get as much hype as any NFL team, despite endemic mediocre results.

I was addressing the idea that the Cowboys are pursuing him.

So far there are only denials. Doesn't mean there's nothing going on but that's what is out there right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to believe that when Urban Meyer shows up in the owners box there have at least been probing conversations. Not possible there haven't been.

You have to believe that when Urban Meyer shows up in the owners box there have at least been probing conversations. Not possible there haven't been.

Seems to me he's attempting to start ta bidding war, whether it's true or not I have no idea. The thought of him coaching the skins next year is rather intriguing i must say.

Hell Meyer may want the Dolphins or any fill in the blank team's HC job and he's just playing Jerruh and Dan like a fiddle to get what he wants. He's Kirk'ing us!

I think Meyer is a no-brainer. You don't have the ongoing success he has had unless you are a difference-making head coach. I've heard all the 'difference between college vs. the NFL' conversations, but I'd have zero reservations about Meyer. He is one hell of a head coach. His ties to former OSU players is just a bonus.

If we're talking a bidding war, I like our chances...

Yeah, saw Meyer on my TV and had to shake my head. Probably has a better chance of success at making the move than the "Ol'ball Coach" but I'm still left wondering what the chances of real success are.

The cynical side of my fandom has me wondering if it's yet another big name that Snyder wants to bring in just to ignite the fanbase and win a marketing blitz rather than to just win.

I have to agree with the splash part of it, and that it's marketable. I would just add that Snyder probably thinks he can win with him.

I don't think Urban Meyer's style will transfer well in the NFL. He runs a pretty basic game plan, he just has the ability to recruit the very best players so he wins with talent.

I have to agree with the splash part of it, and that it's marketable. I would just add that Snyder probably thinks he can win with him.

I don't think Urban Meyer's style will transfer well in the NFL. He runs a pretty basic game plan, he just has the ability to recruit the very best players so he wins with talent.

I think basic might not be a bad thing right now. Gruden ran complicated and look where we are. I want a coach that emphasizes execution and just doing your job. It worked well for Gibbs and everyone sees how that is working for the Patriots. I don't care how simple it is as long as the team can do it right every single time and the players take responsibility for beating their guy.

Isn't UM suffering from some major health issues?

I'm not seeing it happen here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.