• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Who will be the new Head Coach

I'll go on record here - this would be a huge mistake. Smart? Yes, by all accounts. Nice young coach but he is as green as they come. The next 11 games will be his first full responsibility OC job. McVay had 3 full seasons.

And actually, what I hear is that he's not at all like McVay who was cocky and confident from day 1. I've heard stories that Callahan would argue with McVay about protection schemes when McVay was a new OC and McVay would just override him. O'Connell doesn't have that kind of respect or personality.

I think he'd be totally in over his head which is the last thing we need. We blew it letting McVay leave here but it happened. No reason to compound that mistake by pretending O'Connell is McVay.

He isn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally get your pov on hiring a young OC. I would HATE to see yet another promising young coordinator go elsewhere to do great things. It's a Sophie's choice for sure & hopefully the remainder of the year gives us a much clearer picture on where to proceed.

There's no doubt in my mind, like at all that Callahan will have this team looking greatly improved. He's already preaching simplifying and dedication to the run. If we go from bottom feeders to respectability in 11 games then Dan has to stick with some variation that got them there with Bill and or O'Connell heading into 2020 safe.

Honestly that's our best possibility to a short turnaround imho. As of this moment it's got the beginning feel of Marty's 1st year and we know how Dan ****ed that up.

Former Redskins Assistant Coaches - 11-3

Skins - 0-5

I totally get your pov on hiring a young OC. I would HATE to see yet another promising young coordinator go elsewhere to do great things. It's a Sophie's choice for sure & hopefully the remainder of the year gives us a much clearer picture on where to proceed.

There's no doubt in my mind, like at all that Callahan will have this team looking greatly improved. He's already preaching simplifying and dedication to the run. If we go from bottom feeders to respectability in 11 games then Dan has to stick with some variation that got them there with Bill and or O'Connell heading into 2020 safe.

Honestly that's our best possibility to a short turnaround imho. As of this moment it's got the beginning feel of Marty's 1st year and we know how Dan ****ed that up.

The whole thing with Haskins is blowing up right in front of us. Gruden skillfully exacerbated the tensions that were inherent in drafting a kid with one yearoif experience and known issues under pressure. IMO, Gruden did nothing to help improve Haskins. Now, as El and others point out, we are behind the power curve in making important decisions for next season. The FO screwed everyone by keeping Gruden on while (IMO) forcing the draft of Haskins. Everything was set in motion at that point.

So, who is doing the QB coaching for Haskins now? It aint gonna be Callahan...not his long-suit nor will he have time.

The owner/FO from hell!

Tim Rattay is the QB's coach. I would imagine he will handle the fundamentals of the position part. O'Connell as OC will get time with him as well.
Callahan can set the plan for Haskins, without having to spend too much hands on time. For now.

Agreed. O'Connell's fortunes ride on what bond he forms with Haskins and what type of offense he and Callahan run for Case so that turnovers are reduced and we ask guys to do what they are physically capable of doing.

Calling plays that Aaron Rodgers would complete in his ‘system' really didn't yield Gruden any tangible results.

8-8 or better final record, and the job is Callahan's.

This is what everyone should be hoping for.

But that would mean they were wrong about most things.
And being right seems to be more important than wanting the team to win. Against the odds.

The whole thing with Haskins is blowing up right in front of us. Gruden skillfully exacerbated the tensions that were inherent in drafting a kid with one yearoif experience and known issues under pressure. IMO, Gruden did nothing to help improve Haskins. Now, as El and others point out, we are behind the power curve in making important decisions for next season. The FO screwed everyone by keeping Gruden on while (IMO) forcing the draft of Haskins. Everything was set in motion at that point.

So, who is doing the QB coaching for Haskins now? It aint gonna be Callahan...not his long-suit nor will he have time.

The owner/FO from hell!

We also have Matt Cavanaugh & Alex Smiff on staff too. Have no idea how much MC contributes but he`s already getting paid. Between Cavanaugh, Rat, Oconnell & Alex there should be plenty of attention spent on Haskins upgrade training

I would not trade draft picks to get Tomlin unless Tomlin meant the departure of Allen.

Then it would be worth it.

I would not trade draft picks to get Tomlin unless Tomlin meant the departure of Allen.

Then it would be worth it.

Why? Tomlin inherited a solid team, and was paired with good coordinators in an organization that is well built.

He has done nothing in Pittsburgh to suggest that he can come in here and build something from scratch, and we cannot trust Snyder to pair him with a good GM.

Tomlin is the equivalent of Tony Dungy, without Peuton Manning being able to deliver as he did, the Colts never win a SB under Dungy. They should have won a couple with the talent they had.

Same with the Steelers, Tomlin was not capable of getting the most from his players and only backed into one Super Bowl win with the play from his QB.

Tomlin is NOT the answer.

Same with the Steelers, Tomlin was not capable of getting the most from his players and only backed into one Super Bowl win with the play from his QB.

A Super Bowl that you could make the argument the Refs and the league gifted Pittsburgh.

Edit: I got the wrong coach. The Bettis retirement SB win was the one gifted to them.

Tomlin is the equivalent of Tony Dungy, without Peuton Manning being able to deliver as he did, the Colts never win a SB under Dungy. They should have won a couple with the talent they had.
I used to think the same thing, but when Peyton missed the season with his neck injury, they did absolutely nothing. It makes me think the talent level on that team was an illusion,. and Peyton made them all look better than they were.

We also have Matt Cavanaugh & Alex Smiff on staff too. Have no idea how much MC contributes but he`s already getting paid. Between Cavanaugh, Rat, Oconnell & Alex there should be plenty of attention spent on Haskins upgrade training

We also had them before.

But O'Connell does have 4 pass completions in the NFL to his credit and one season as QB coach for the Browns!

Hail yea...I'm in cuz I really wanna be a super fan. Clicking my shoes now while solemnly intoning "There's no place like Fedex, there's no place like Fedex."

We also had them before.

But O'Connell does have 4 pass completions in the NFL to his credit and one season as QB coach for the Browns!

Hail yea...I'm in cuz I really wanna be a super fan. Clicking my shoes now while solemnly intoning "There's no place like Fedex, there's no place like Fedex."

True, what we didn't have was a young qb that needs proper tutelage in Haskins. Woulda been difficult for Smith to spread knowledge to anyone fighting to keep his leg.

That's 4 more passes than Kyle Shannahan & Sean McVay have had combined, so we're ahead of the curve!

I was making a joke.

It would be worth draft picks to get rid of Allen even if we got no other compensation 😆😆😆😆

True, what we didn't have was a young qb that needs proper tutelage in Haskins. Woulda been difficult for Smith to spread knowledge to anyone fighting to keep his leg.

That's 4 more passes than Kyle Shannahan & Sean McVay have had combined, so we're ahead of the curve!

ahh! but which curve?! and what lies around the bend?

The job will be more attractive in 2020 than it was finishing up 2018.

We will have a top 5 pick, a young qb and a core of younger players with individual talent that need to be brought together as a team.

And the cap situation will be better.

There are a number of veterans we can release to create cap room with a lot of the guaranteed money on those deals already counted in previous years.

ahh! but which curve?! and what lies around the bend?

Well this is the redskins we're talking about. Our curve is probably closest to several camels lined up, some deformed, some upside down and most facing the wrong way. The bend will just keep bending until the Bruce is drawn and quartered, I mean released from duty

Former Redskins Assistant Coaches - 11-3

Skins - 0-5

Yeah, but as has been written in a lot of articles (really good reads, many of them, by the way) - they are all Shanahan coaching tree guys. The Redskins FO probably was not a big fan of them in different ways if they were aware of that, and the feeling may have been mutual (actually it may have been more the other direction since I think they all stay in touch together and openly share a lot of respect for Mike). This is what happens when any organization thinks they can freely mistreat people who may have made relationships that aren't fully appreciated by the org. Ultimately there is blowback, and often, you lose good people over it. I'm sure any one of us who has been in the rat race for 10+ years has seen it at least a couple of times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.