• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Who will be the new Head Coach

Does anyone trust Tomlin to be the GM as well as the HC?

Hell nah, not a coaching candidate out there I would trust for both. However, this has to be a very close knit partnership with very like minded people. All the good to great teams seem to have a coach & gm combo that shares the same vision. Not sure if we've had that since Gibbs I

Tomlin would be here for six months and he and Bruce wouldn't be talking.

I don't see this as a match.

Of course if Tomlin tells Snyder he will only come if Bruce is put out of the football decision making tree we will have to love the man.

Local media here (a lot of whom have personal ties to him since he's from Hampton) seem to be pretty sure that Snyder will do whatever it takes to land Tomlin. The biggest upside of that, is that a few people have mentioned he is not a fan of the Bruce. To the point he would never consider the position until Bruce is gone. That being said, I'm now a fan of a possible Mike Tomlin hiring.

If Mike Tomlin is hired as the Head Coach of this team, I really am done. I swear the Steelers would have had 2 more Super Bowls if not for the dumb mistakes Tomlin made...like true head scratchers. I have die hard Steelers friends who hate him! Hate HIM!

I don't know enough about Eric Bieniemy, but he has been passed over for 3 or 4 years now as coaches like Matt LeFluer, Kliff Kingsbury, and Doug Marrone get jobs. What does that say?

It would never happen, because all Snyder cares about is a high flying offense, but we need a hard nosed DC like we should have hired 6 years ago in Zimmer.

I would not be opposed to bringing in Todd Bowles, and paring him with a Kevin O'Connell, or some other young dynamo. Bowles was given 2 chances in terrible organizations, and I'd only want to see it here if he was given a new GM hired with the consultation of Gibbs.

Mike Tomlin always has that clueless deer in the headlight look. I think his coordinators tell him to stand there and look stupid and let us do our job.

There's a couple articles suggesting that if Tomlin isn't let go by pitt outright then Dan is prepared to provide pick compensation package for the exchange. Tomlin is for sure an upgrade over Jay but not enough to give up draft picks.

As Ax pointed out earlier maybe Callahan can get this ship turned around. I mean "if" he pulls a few miracles out of his ass and goes 8-3 then we should stick with him as HC. In the offseason Callahan gets Bruce canned, Dan promotes Kyle Smith and boom goes the dynamite. Odds are EXTREMELY against any of this of course.

Tomlin has won multiple Super Bowls and is a big name. Dan will figure that that should be enough to get most of the Redskins faithful to put down their pitchforks.

I personally find it hard to believe that Snyder goes for anything other than a big name NFL coach with past successes, or a big name college guy hoping to break into the league. He is desperate and with the fan base crumbling, this is the strategy he normally turns to.

Like others have said, I am out the door in a heartbeat if Tomlin is hired. It screams of the wash, rinse and repeat behaviour of Daniel Snyder.

Tomlin is ultimately a short sighted and very lazy hiring on the part of the owner.

Many are linking us to Tomlin but dude hasnt even been fired yet, if at all.

I know....right?

What the...?

I don't get it.

Where is all the buzz that Tomlin is even going to be fired or available? The Steelers NEVER fire coaches.

The CB isn't Joe's fault but signing off on tossing in a #2 sure was. But then Joe was never the biggest fan of rookies. He liked to let other teams take the risk in the draft and then pick up guys once they had proven they could play in the league.

We could have had the Seattle running back at the time for champ plus a first or the Jets running back in a straight up trade but he was decent. Champ was hitting free agency and the teams we were negotiating with new it. All they would have had to do was wait out for the bidding war to begin.

For what it's worth

For what it's worth

I'll go on record here - this would be a huge mistake. Smart? Yes, by all accounts. Nice young coach but he is as green as they come. The next 11 games will be his first full responsibility OC job. McVay had 3 full seasons.

And actually, what I hear is that he's not at all like McVay who was cocky and confident from day 1. I've heard stories that Callahan would argue with McVay about protection schemes when McVay was a new OC and McVay would just override him. O'Connell doesn't have that kind of respect or personality.

I think he'd be totally in over his head which is the last thing we need. We blew it letting McVay leave here but it happened. No reason to compound that mistake by pretending O'Connell is McVay.

He isn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Of course if Tomlin tells Snyder he will only come if Bruce is put out of the football decision making tree we will have to love the man.

Yep. I'm not enamored with Tomlin. But, if for some reason, he or some other coach was THE reason Dan finally fires, Bruce - I'll take it.

I was thinking Gregg Williams might be the person to hire as new HC....maybe discuss keeping O'Connell as his OC if Kevin is the "real deal.". Just as long as Williams didn't bring in anyone touched by Jeff Fisher.

If Mike Tomlin is hired as the Head Coach of this team, I really am done. I swear the Steelers would have had 2 more Super Bowls if not for the dumb mistakes Tomlin made...like true head scratchers. I have die hard Steelers friends who hate him! Hate HIM!

That's because Steeler fans are the most spoiled fans on the planet. They have literally not had a rough patch lasting more than two seasons in my lifetime. Tomlin has coached 12 seasons and never, ever, coached losing season. This year would be the first. One superbowl instead of three? I suppose we can argue that, but the Steelers are in The Conversation every year. I don't care how good your organization is, there are very very few coaches that can accomplish that for over a decade.

Steeler fans are whining now because they haven't had a 10-win season in two years, and may actually have a losing season once their top two QBs go down ... I think that's hilarious.

Sorry, I know this is a bit of a derail but, that's quality entertainment.

Tomlin here? Meh.

That's Shanahan/Schottenheimer part Three. Bring in The Name. Won't work here, but not because of Tomlin. We've seen it before.

Can't remember where I read/heard it but word is Lincoln Riley has commented to folks close to him that if he was interested in the NFL(he's not) the Redskins would be the last team he'd ever consider.

Also, Urban Meyer has said Snyder would have better odds winning the Powerball than hiring him.

Dan and Bruce's rep reaches far and wide.......

What a friggin mess Snyder has created. And the NFL bails him out with revenue sharing.

Every game, what Skins fans are left in the stands should endlessly chant "Sell the team Xxxhole. Sell the team."

That's because Steeler fans are the most spoiled fans on the planet. They have literally not had a rough patch lasting more than two seasons in my lifetime. Tomlin has coached 12 seasons and never, ever, coached losing season. This year would be the first. One superbowl instead of three? I suppose we can argue that, but the Steelers are in The Conversation every year. I don't care how good your organization is, there are very very few coaches that can accomplish that for over a decade.

Steeler fans are whining now because they haven't had a 10-win season in two years, and may actually have a losing season once their top two QBs go down ... I think that's hilarious.

Tomlin here? Meh.

That's Shanahan/Schottenheimer part Three. Bring in The Name. Won't work here, but not because of Tomlin. We've seen it before.

Tomblin is backed by a very steady front office that knows what they are doing. Like you said, they are consistent year after year, and that's because of that front office. Hell, Gruden might have been able to pull out a winning season or two if he had Pittsburghs front office

Tomlin here? Meh.

While I wont disagree with your assettion about them being spoiled, im talking about knowledgable fans, one who had a radio talk show, who understand Tomlin is not why they won a Super Bowl with him as head coach, and why they haven't been able to since under his leadership.

They know he lucked into his position, and was just good enough not to derail what had been built before him.

But Snyder is just terrible enough to trade some compensation for him at the end of the year, instead of waiting til he gets fired, which he will

The only reason Tomlin gets looked at favorably is because he talks a good game in front of a camera.

When it comes to Dan Snyder,that impresses him. Which as we all know, is the wrong criteria to pick a coach.

Who ever it is people will complain about his lack of clock management, his lack of adjustments in games and at the half. How he fits a square peg into a round hole.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.