• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Birth of a Beer...

Today I brew Yeti Bullocks IPA, this years seasonal haunt brew.

Today I brew Yeti Bullocks IPA, this years seasonal haunt brew.

Oh man, sounds delicious! Making any trips to Houson anytime soon? :D

I tasted a ton of craft brews in Colorado, and took pictures of them all. I am tinkering with the idea of making a collage out of them, but if not, I'll post the individual pictures (probably in another thread).

My top 5 IPAs from the trip:

Bristol Brewing Company's Compass IPA (Boulder, CO)
Aspen Brewing Company's Independence Pass Ale (Aspen, CO)
Wynkoop Brewing Company's Mile HI.P.A. (Denver, CO)
Great Divide Brewing Company's Rumble oak-aged IPA (Denver, CO)
Bull & Bush Brewing Company's Man Beer (Denver, CO)

This is a great thread. I've always wanted to invest in learning to brew beer but I've never made the jump. Most of my time is spent consuming beer. Here's my beer talk:

My, hands down, favorite brewery is Ayinger. Every beer I've ever had from them is top-notch. My watering hole has Celebrator (Dopplebock) on tap and never runs out of "100-year-beer" (actually called Jahrhundert Bier) in the bottle. 100 year beer is the brewery's centennial celebration brew and is a lager. I tend to rotate from celebrator in the fall/winter to Jahrhundert Bier in the summer/spring--mostly as a first choice when I pull up a seat. Their eisbook is also good.

Jever makes a great Pilsner that I really love. It goes down light and clean but has loads of flavor. I always take a deep inhale and smell it before every sip and it smells like... uh... a REALLY close cousin of cannabis (not that I'd know, or anything:whoknows:). :betterwink2:

Bull & Bush Brewery in Denver made the first Pilsner I've ever really "liked." I forget the name, but it was very hoppy. :)

Just had a really nice honey pilsner last night at the Wild Wolf Brewery in Nellysford. Neo, next time you go to Culpeper, set aside a half day to come see me, there are three excellent breweries within half an hour of my house we could visit.

Anyone else is welcome to do the same, by the way. My treat*!

*i will purchase samples of any beer you want, flights or solos, after that, you're on your own. ;)

Lumpy, where you from?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I live in Hampton Roads, VA.

My watering hole. check out their beer list, if you've got time :D

Great family owned place. Everyone calls the owner "Dad." Truly, the only establishment that I would miss in my area if I were to move.

While it's not my favorite beer, This place has boasted selling the largest quantity of Aventinus, in the world, at one point. (or something along those lines)

edit: Altbarisch dunkel by Ayinger is also goo. I want one NOAW

Last edited:
Bottling the Märzen I have had lagering in Bishop's fridge since March...

And it is damn pretty, if I do say so myself.

Last edited:
Makin' me jealous, Neo! If I go crazy and decide to drive up to Arlington for the O's game tonight, think I can crash and have a bottle or two? :D

Stone 9th Anniversary Ale
Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA
Stone 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA
Stone 16th Anniversary IPA
---
2008 Double Bastard Ale
2009 Double Bastard Ale
2010 Double Bastard Ale
2011 Double Bastard Ale
2012 Double Bastard Ale
---
2008 Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine
2009 Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine
2010 Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine
2011 Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine
2012 Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine
---
2008 Stone Imperial Russian Stout
2009 Stone Imperial Russian Stout
2010 Stone Imperial Russian Stout
2011 Stone Imperial Russian Stout
2012 Stone Imperial Russian Stout

thats the tap list at Stone today...oh man, I feel like a kid in a candy store!

I have never had a Black IPA, nor a true Barleywine. I need to expand my horizons and brew some...

Finally got off my ass and I'm going to brew today after almost a year since my last homebrew. I'm changing jobs in about a month, and one of the things I've committed myself to is getting back to some of the things I really love. Homebrewing is one of those.

Going to make a Chocolate Stout and bottle (I usually keg my beers) this one as a Christmas gift for family. Lots of beer lovers in my clan as the kids have all grown up. The recipe is really a darker version of a 'milk stout' with the addition of Cacao nibs (crushed pieces of real cocoa beans) in the secondary. Just enough time to get this made and bottled for Christmas.

As I said in a Facebook post, nothing says 'I love Jesus' like a homebrewed Chocolate Stout :)

Chocolate Stout is in my bedroom closet, blow off tube in place. Soon, my slumber will be interrupted with the blub-blub-blub of fermentation. It's a beautiful thing :)

I have never had a Black IPA, nor a true Barleywine. I need to expand my horizons and brew some...

After we get moved, the first thing I am brewing is my black IPA. It's the best beer I have made to date. Several friends have pushed me to enter it in beer competitions.

Would love to have that recipe Bob.

Here's my chocolate stout in the primary.

chocolatestout.jpg

She (yes, beers have a gender :)) has already started bubbling away. In a couple more hours, it will literally be a roiling boil of a fermentation. I may upload a video snippet here as those who don't homebrew would not believe how violently wort ferments unless you saw it with your own eyes. This is a milk stout although I added a couple of lbs of grain to boost the 'oomph'. It already looks all the world like chocolate milk. Next Sunday, I'll move to secondary and add about 4 ounces of crushed cocoa beans. That's when the magic happens.

Recipe: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-ChocolateMilkStout.pdf

Last edited:
Learning to home brew has always been on my bucket list, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some Christmas gifts!

I recommend them a lot, but the best way to get started is with an extract kit - I highly recommend Northern Brewer (www.northernbrewer.com) - since they don't require a lot of equipment. You can make some really great beer even as beginner. If you get the urge, try one of their extract kits with 'specialty grains' - kind of an intermediate between a pure extract kit and all-grain.

I'm an all-grain guy, just because I'm a purist and love the idea of starting with nothing more than grain, hops, water, and yeast and making something special out of it. But you can make damn good beer with nothing but extract kits - in fact, some folks never go beyond that. Another good way to start is find your local homebrew supply store - I guarantee you they do free demos or low cost classes, a really good way to get started.

Thanks a ton for the resource! Are you actually in Boone NC these days? (from your handle.) I have a brother in law in Banner Elk who brews too. Maybe we could someday set up a brew party once I get set up?

I recommend them a lot, but the best way to get started is with an extract kit - I highly recommend Northern Brewer (www.northernbrewer.com) - since they don't require a lot of equipment. You can make some really great beer even as beginner. If you get the urge, try one of their extract kits with 'specialty grains' - kind of an intermediate between a pure extract kit and all-grain.

I'm an all-grain guy, just because I'm a purist and love the idea of starting with nothing more than grain, hops, water, and yeast and making something special out of it. But you can make damn good beer with nothing but extract kits - in fact, some folks never go beyond that. Another good way to start is find your local homebrew supply store - I guarantee you they do free demos or low cost classes, a really good way to get started.

I recently tried Black IPAs for the first time, and they're delicious. I tried the Clown Shoes Hoppy Feet BIPA, which was amazing. Its like a stout and an IPA had a baby.

Moving my Chocolate Stout to secondary tomorrow. Have been soaking some crushed cocoa beans in about 300mls of Stoly Vodka for several days. That'll get added to the mix tomorrow too. Really looking forward to seeing how this one comes out.

Later this evening, will brew a favorite of mine - a single hop english style bitter that has loads of Fuggle hops in it. It's a great recipe. Funny story - the first time I made it, I had a yeast starter going and because I was making several starters, labelled that one 'LESB' for 'London Extra Special Bitter', the name of the yeast. My wife, who obviously is not a homebrewer saw it and said - why did you write LESBIAN on that jug in the kitchen.

So, this particular beer, I lovingly call 'Bitter Lesbian' :) (with all due respect to any bitter lesbians out there!)

So, this particular beer, I lovingly call 'Bitter Lesbian' :) (with all due respect to any bitter lesbians out there!)

One of the most classic names for a beer I have ever heard. Seriously jealous I didn't come up with it first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.