• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Birth of a Beer...

I'll give you a tip - Northern Brewer's online store sells great all-grain kits, but even if you don't want to spend the extra $$, you can see the recipe right online and replicate their great kits at discount costs. I will tell you that, my product is almost always better when I use their kits, only because many of their kits contain specialty grains/ingredients that are hard to find at your LHBS. But it's really nice to have access to their recipes.

The first batch is finally carbonated enough and it's... Surprisingly not bad, as almost everyone said. It still needs more time to settle, it's too hard to pour and not get a little sediment in the glass screwing up the flavor a bit.

It will most certainly do as a between kegs beer while the new keg is carbonation.

Did you move it from a primary to a secondary carboy? I've never had any noticeable sediment - that's why I ask?

A little yeast is normal - a number of tricks during the process to reduce the amount of trub/sediment...one of which is to make sure your carboy has completely settled before transferring to a secondary or bottling bucket. You can also add fining agents - I use Irish Moss, adding a couple tablespoons of it to the last 10 minutes of the boil. Seems to help as well.

Busy day here...bottling 5 gallons of Jerked Porter and getting the mash ready for 5 gallons of Marzen, then this afternoon I will brew a batch of my Black Sun Cascadian Dark (black IPA). Making up for lost time.

Busy day here...bottling 5 gallons of Jerked Porter and getting the mash ready for 5 gallons of Marzen, then this afternoon I will brew a batch of my Black Sun Cascadian Dark (black IPA). Making up for lost time.

Ya know, Neo, I think it may be time for you to visit your folks. They miss you. Always a good time to visit home.

And you know where a great resting and refueling area is? Waynesboro. Yep, home of several first quality gas stations that also offer (kinda) fresh made coffee. In fact, I would be happy to serve you that coffee myself.

Now... What could you do for me in return? Hmmmmm...

Just started a third beer...Bishop is over showing off his new gear which we used for my two and now he is starting on his Vienna Blood (Vienna lager, think Negro Modelo only better).

Yeah, we are bad ass.

Last edited:
First mashin at 0815.

By 1730 we had three beers brewed (one with a 75 minute boil and one with a 90 minute boil!) and a 4th bottles. All cleanup complete.

I call that a good day's work.

Had the makings of a White House ale in the house for a month now - been too busy with getting my house/yard in shape, and working on my own fitness level to brew. Maybe next weekend. Brew it Neo!

The IPA keg is finally kicked. Can't decide if it took too long or went too quick - for the most part I was the only one drinking it, so.... not quite sure :)

Refilling the C02 and putting the vanilla porter under pressure tonight. Should be ready by the time I get back from the draft day party, which is excellent.

Currently looking at this recipe, I want a summer beer but I'm not quite sure I want to go full-bore into the wheat category. I like wheat beers but... just not sure:
http://byo.com/american-amber-pale-ale/item/128-american-blonde-ale-style-profile

The extract recipe is all the way at the bottom, most of the page is an explanation on blondes.

I need to get back to brewing so these things can age while I drink from the keg.

Northern Brewer has a great wheat beer kit called Dunkelweissen I highly recommend.

Ugh things were going to well then I put something on my triple scale hydrometer and broke it. I barely touched it. Oh well. :(

The blood orange and peel tea looks awesome though!

Mash in - 158F

11 lbs - Maris Otter Pale Malt
2 lbs - Rye Malt
1/2 lb - Carafoam

I'm just not a wheat beer fan. There's a few I can drink...just not a fan.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.