• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 9/20/19: Allen, Wylie, Gruden, O’Connell

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
skinsquotes.png

September 20, 2019
President Bruce Allen & SVP Tony Wyllie

Bruce Allen Opening Statement:
“Good afternoon. We thought we'd switch this up today, I get to introduce somebody to you. We've had the privilege of having Tony Wyllie as part of the Redskins for nearly a decade. He's been a great teammate, friend to everybody in the building and to many of you in the audience. He just took an awesome job with exciting possibilities, with a future that is going to help hopefully millions and we couldn't be prouder of Tony for wanting to tackle this opportunity. With that, I'd like to introduce to you Tony Wyllie.”

Tony Wyllie Personal Statement:
“Wow, thanks Bruce. I feel so blessed; I've got to thank God. I've got to thank my lord and savior for the blessings that have been bestowed upon me. And I have to thank Dan Snyder. Bruce, remember when we first met, you and Dan said you were going to put me on a global stage. Well, you promised it, you came through on that. Dan Snyder I have to thank so much. Words can't express his support, his guidance. What I've learned from him is to think big and to block out the noise, and boy was there noise. I've got to thank my family. My kids are here, my children are here, I think they just want to get out of school, but they're here to support their dad. My wife, my mom and dad, my in-laws in St. Louis -- not outlaws, in-laws -- for the support of my family, this wouldn't be possible. The hundreds of coaches, staff members, colleagues really helped build this foundation. You guys, I have to thank you for the mutual respect, the professionalism. I see you guys more than I see my family, but we always had a great relationship and for that I'm very grateful. I'm closing this chapter to begin a new one and I'm very excited to join the Special Olympics, a global organization, to be a part of the inclusion revolution, to fit six million athletes around the world with intellectual disabilities on playing fields around the world. And that's something I'm very, very excited about, to be in the North American region, which covers the United States, Canada and the Caribbean. This is a challenge I'm very excited about. I really think my life's work has prepared me for this. I feel that you're on this earth not for yourself, but to be a blessing to others. So, to Dr. Shriver, to Mary Davis, to Dr. Dowd, to the staff I'm really eager to get to know, to all the members of Special Olympics, I'm ready to roll up the sleeves to take this to a whole new level. This has been a heck of a ride and I'm ready to go to work, so with that being said -- Wyllie out [mic drop].”

Head Coach Jay Gruden

Opening Statement:
Did not participate: [CB Quinton] Dunbar, knee; [QB Colt] McCoy, fibula; [LB Cassanova] McKinzy, hip, [TE Jordan] Reed, concussion; [S Montae] Nicholson and [WR] Robert Davis. They were all rested. Limited were: [DL Jonathan] Allen, knee and everybody else was full.

On impact of Jonathan Allen's return:
“Yeah, he looked good. I think we tested him a little today and then tomorrow will be a bigger test. I know we're not doing a lot of hitting right now, but just getting him out there and seeing him move around I think will dictate whether he dresses, number one, and how much he can play, number two. So we'll have to figure that out tomorrow and Saturday to see how he's doing”

On status of Quinton Dunbar:
“I don't know about [CB Quinton] Dunbar. He's struggling a little bit, but we have another day tomorrow, and Sunday, so we'll wait and see. Hopefully, he feels stronger and that leg can push off and drive and run. If not, then we'll have to wait and see tomorrow. Hopefully we'll get some good news tomorrow and he's feeling better.”

On how to use extra day:
“We'll hit some situational work, it'll be good. Some situations that sometimes get brushed under the rug a little bit when you don't have a very long time, so you can always hit a lot of two-minute, you can always hit some more third down, some more red zone, some end of the game situation type things that are very good to work on.”

On NFL's review of penalties:
“Well, obviously you're disappointed when the answers come back and they're [not] in your favor, but at the end of the day some of the calls we ask about are just so we're coaching the right techniques, making sure that we are right on some of them. We were and some of them we learned from and make sure we understand what they're looking at and what they're going to call, but it's a little frustrating when they come back [not] in your favor.”

On learning anything from penalties:
“Not really. The big question was one of [G Brandon] Scherff's holding calls, he had his hands inside and was locked on the guy, and they called holding because he didn't let him go. We try to teach sustainability here with our technique, but I guess there's a certain point in time where you have to let him go when the quarterback escapes the pocket. That was the big one and they had a couple that were similar that we compared to that they did the same thing that weren't called, so we just got clarification on that.

On defensive injuries and how they change defensive game plan:
“Fortunately, we had an extra day today and we had some more time with [CB Aaron] Colvin. He's getting more acclimated to the defense and getting [CB] Fabian [Moreau] back hopefully will help out quite a bit. He was full today, so having him back at corner will help out considerably with the communication and everything.”

On pressure of potential 0-3 start:
“I think you have to feel it without a doubt. If you don't feel it then you're numb, you're not a football player. There's nobody that likes to lose in this locker room. Not a lot has to be said when you lose one game, let alone two in a row in your division against the Cowboys and Eagles, one at home. We're already in a hole a little bit, so everybody understands there's a sense of urgency, for sure. We also understand there's a dang good football team coming into our place, a team that missed a field goal at the end that would've put them deeper in the playoffs. So it's not going to be easy, but we all understand the urgency for this one.”

On whether he's noticed more of an emphasis on flags this year:
“Obviously, it's more of an emphasis because it's way up. Last night's game, I watched part of it and there were about 30 of them in the first half. It's painful. The emphasis is there, we have to understand that, we have to try to make sure we abide by the rules. We understand the rules, but it's hard sometimes when people get disengaged and people start stumbling and falling, and they think you're holding but you're not. It's hard to sustain a block, especially when people want to lateral. So we have to do a good job of letting people go, I guess. I know it'll really help our running game.”

On Montae's status:
“He's a little sore. He could've gone today. We just wanted to take precautionary measures and make sure he had a good day today, then tomorrow he'll be back out there. We'll have four or five team periods tomorrow and let him run around. I think he'll feel better tomorrow.”

On what he's seen from Montae:
“I think Montae's [Nicholson] doing good getting back in the flow. Him and Landon [Collins] playing together has been good. I think there are still some things we've got to clean up with everybody on the defensive side for sure, but I like where he's at and where he's headed. He's got a chance to be a special safety with the skill set that he has -- he's long, can run and he'll hit you. So, we've just got to keep him going mentally and physically he has all the tools. Get him in the right spot, the right location and communicate, and he has a chance to be a really good one.”

On how Fabian Moreau has looked:
“He was full. He looked good.”

Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell

On improving the run game against the Bears:
“The first two defenses we played, playoff defenses that stop the run. We go into a plan each and every week to run the football and have our offense be kind of complementary off the run game, but sometimes in the course of a game you have to change your plan and take advantage of what's working that day. There's no question we want to continue to run the football. We feel great about our offensive line and running backs and the scheme going into these football games and this Monday night will be the same thing for us, we're just playing a great defense like we have the first two weeks. Great front, strong, fast on the edges, fast at the linebacker position, but like I said, they're stout up front so you really have to be tight with your plan. Then we have to go out and execute play in and play out and continue to avoid penalties, avoid the negative plays and stay ahead of the chains.”

On leaning on the pass more than the run with the early-season success of the pass game:
“No, I think you always want to be balanced. Really, [Quarterback] Case [Keenum] [would] probably be the first one to tell you, his job gets a lot easier when the run game is going and we're in a lot more third-and-two and-threes than third-and-nine and-10s. And that's always the plan for everybody going into the game is to stay efficient on first and second down, whether we're running the football or we're trying to utilize the quick game, screen game, RPO game, whatever it may be, just to continue to be efficient to be early on in the downs. Which will lead to more plays, more third down conversions and allowing us to get deeper in our playbook or our plan for that individual game. By no means are we panicking on the run game standpoint, it's just a matter of continuing to attack the plan each and every week and trust in we're going to be able to move the football.”

On how he looks to improve missed passes:
“It's just schematics. Looking at the coverage, why maybe we missed it, what was the confusing nature of the play? Sometimes you gotta give the defense credit. People see people running wide open, but it's not seven-on-seven out there. There's a pass rush, they're coming and Case [Keenum] does a great job not taking a lot of sacks. He's been really, really good about getting rid of the football, finding completions, being aggressive with his feet and eyes, but sometimes he can get through a read pretty quick and if he does miss a defensive missed assignment, we've got a couple guys wide open or the intended scheme of the play comes wide open, we go back and watch it. Just make sure we cover all of our bases so if it happens again, we're ready to take advantage of those plays.”

On if there is a ‘silver lining' on having plays with open receivers, despite missing throws:
“Yeah, we're trying to always – our goal every single week is to get his first or second progression open, be aggressive with his feet and eyes, have a great feel for what we're trying to get accomplished on a play, make sure he knows clearly what the objective of the play is and once again, the forgotten element of all of it is making sure the protection is good, [Case has] done his job with his calls so that the line is in the best possible situation to protect him. And then the route and the footwork and the timing, all those things we work incredibly hard on so when Sunday or Monday Night rolls around, he feels really good about what we're trying to do.”

On leaning on the quick pass game in place of the run game:
“That's exactly what I was going to say, the phrase is a very well used phrase by you. [The quick game] is an extension of the run game. If you can put your back foot in the ground and throw [to] [WR] Terry McLaurin or [WR] Paul Richardson [Jr.], [WR] Trey Quinn or get our tight ends or running backs involved in the quick game, that's really what you're doing. You're staying ahead of schedule, getting yourself into manageable downs. And the statistics might not look like we ran the ball or the attempts weren't there, but I know sometimes you have to, and I think [Assistant Head Coach and Offensive Line] Coach [Bill] Callahan would agree, you have to use the quick game and the screen game as extensions of your run game. Especially against really good defenses that aren't going to just give you the first and second down runs you maybe wanted going into the game.”

On how McLaurin's role has impacted Richardson's role:
“I think Terry [McLaurin]'s role and Paul [Richardson]'s role as the X and Z, they're clearly defined. We have the formations that we do to be able to line everyone up just about anywhere on the football field – slot, outside, all the receivers on one side, the tight end on the other, whatever it may be to help the progression – but Paul absolutely is right there. We mentioned a couple of the plays on third down that we had them, as well as some of the first and second down shots we want to take. He's very much involved in all those plans, as well as Trey [Quinn] when we're in our three wide receiver packages. It's a just a matter of plays. I really think it all comes back down to the volume of plays we can run in a football game. If we're in the 50s – going into the last game, I think we were down in the 40s before that last two-minute drive. We need to get up into the low 60s, high 60s, low 70s and the volume of plays comes off the call sheet where the distribution of the football will happen. But no, Paul has been great. Both [No.] 17 and [No.] 10 are flying down the field, putting stress on the defense. A lot of what Terry has been able to accomplish is because of Paul doing his job really, really well on the other side as well.”

On if he has thought about what TE Jordan Reed would bring to the offense:
“I have because we had him in Richmond for training camp. We had him throughout that time where we were kind of in the growth and development process of this offense, so I think we all know exactly where he fits in this system, the versatility and the things he can do for the other people in our offense around him as well as help out the quarterback, being the target that he is. We feel really good about that plan when we get Jordan [Reed] back, but that's obviously something we let the medical staff and [Head] Coach [Jay] Gruden focus on. We're just trying to make sure for Monday night we're ready to roll and we feel really good about it.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't we fill out special teams coverage units and depth in the secondary with all the injuries more effectively if we put McCoy on IR and opened up a spot on the 53?

At some point the organization needs to designate these moves if Gruden is tone deaf to make any changes to improve the performance on the field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.