• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 9/5/19: Gruden, Manusky

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
skinsquotes.png

September 5, 2019

Head Coach Jay Gruden

Opening statement:
“Good afternoon. Same exact, word-for-word injury report as yesterday.”

On where TE Jordan Reed is in the concussion protocol:
“Same exact spot.”

On the next steps for Reed:
“He's been taking tests. Now it's just a matter of how he does on though tests and then how he feels at night sleeping, in the morning when he wakes up and when he goes through the drills. Then he continues to pass the test and continues to progress then they'll allow him back on the field. Until then, we're going to wait and make sure he's good.”

On if WR Paul Richardson Jr is back to full speed:
“Yeah very encouraged today. He ran very well today and yesterday so he's definitely looking good. He has another good day tomorrow [with] red zone work so we'll get a better feel tomorrow. As of the last two days, I feel very encouraged.”

On who would fill in for Richardson if he is unable to play on Sunday:
“We have six receivers, so one of them.”

On how many running backs will dress on Sunday and on which running back would be inactive if he ends up only dressing three:
“We haven't decided that yet – that's if you go [with] three [backs dressing]. We still have a lot of work to do. We have to figure out how Jordan [Reed] is and [CB] Fabian [Moreau] and some of the other guys – [DL] Caleb Brantley. We have some other guys that we're trying to figure out how they're be on game day. That'll have an effect on the entire scope of the 46-man roster.”

On if WR Terry McLaurin's role on offense will lessen his role on special teams:
“Yeah it could. You draft a kid like that with that kind of speed and his ability on special teams, you can't discount the fact that he's a great receiver. We had high hopes he could also be a flyer and do a lot of things on special teams and he might be needed to do that, we'll see. Just depends on how the game is going and how he's feeling, but definitely, he's part of it.”

On his expectations for DT Daron Payne:
“I have high expectations for [Daron] Payne and I think he has high expectations for himself as does everybody else in this locker room. He's a guy that works extremely hard. He's stronger, he's quicker. I think he's got a chance to be one of the dominate linemen in pro football if he keeps on this track. Very exciting to watch him play. He's excellent against the run, he's powerful, he can rush the passer and we like him.”

On if there is a discussion of RB Adrian Peterson being inactive Week 1:
“Ifs, you know – if the hurricane hits then we won't have a game so I don't know. We've got a lot of ‘ifs' we've got to worry about. We're just going to go [out] tomorrow see who's active, see who can play and then we'll make the determination come Sunday.”

On if CB Fabian Moreau will practice tomorrow and on if he thinks he will be available on Sunday:
“I think tomorrow will be a big day for him. I think that'll probably be a telling tale. If he's out running around and taking some team drills, there's a possibility. If he doesn't take any team drills tomorrow then probably doubtful he goes. We're semi-encouraged with the way he's improved.”

Defensive Coordinator Greg Manusky

On Philadelphia's weapons on offense:
"There are a lot of weapons; just overall from their talent as an offensive line, quarterback, tight ends, receivers. They are very talented across the board and in the back field. Even with [RB] [Darren] Sproles and all the years that he has played. I was coaching with him when I was out in San Diego. Just overall, they have some players across the board. They don't really have any weak spots. So, we have to take advantage of the opportunities when they arise, if they arise."

On what S Landon Collins has brought to the team:
"I think confidence, overall just awareness, understanding defenses. It's amazing; he's a great kid coming out of Alabama, went to the Giants and we were fortunate to pick him up in the free-agent aspect. He's just a football guy. Just talking to him, sitting down with him and just have conversations with him all the time. It's just true blue. This is what he's feeling, this is what he tells you. You go through with it. He's a phenomenal player, and I look forward to what he's going to do on Sunday."

On Collins improving communication:
"I just see him having the confidence to make the calls. He just knows exactly what he's doing. I think that's the most important thing, confidence in your ability to play your game. Each and every week, you got to have confidence. It's like when you go in for a final exam, and you don't study for it. You're going to be in a situation where you're saying, ‘oh, boy!' you know what I'm saying? But when you prepared yourself and get prepared each and every week, you go into that final exam, and you blow it out of the water. That's what the type of player he is, he dives in, knows exactly what to do. He's got great instincts which are the biggest thing to have in this football realm to have as a safety."

On what they saw from LB Jon Bostic:
"Oh, the scouting department, Alex Santos came over to us and asked us about him and stuff, and I said, ‘we looked at his film, and yeah he's a pretty good player.' We're going back and forth, and then we sign him. I was amazed of how he developed in the system. I know he had a little bit of backing when he was in Indianapolis. Just overall, just a phenomenal guy, phenomenal player, I'm excited that we have him. He makes the checks, makes the calls, and does a lot of things. So, I'm excited to see him on Sunday as well."

On balancing CB Jimmy Moreland's aggression:
"You got to make plays, that's the name of this business. Usually, games come down to five, six plays. You know overall that if we make a play then it's great. Overall, Jimmy's done a great job in training camp, and we'll see how he does on Sunday. We're trying to debate between him and [CB] [Greg] Stroman. So, we'll see how it goes."

On what strides LB Montez Sweat has made since arriving:
"I think the biggest thing is when you get those defensive ends, that's have always been in the three-point stance coming out of college, it's really hard once they stand up. The biggest thing I see is his confidence and his ability to stand up. From our standpoint, that was a great thing. Even initially in the OTA's and stuff, he did a great job. And then through training camp, same thing. Just with his takeoffs, with his vision and sightlines, which were awesome. So, I'm excited for him as well to see how he does on Sunday. We'll be interchanging a couple of guys, but overall, I like what I see from Sweat."

On what Sweat can improve on going from the three-point stance to the two-point stance:
"The biggest thing is his sightlines. It just his first and second step. He's got trust in it and get off the ball. Which like any defensive end, has to do in the league. He's got length to him. He's got some strength, and he's got some speed around the edge. So, I'm excited to see what
he's going to do on Sunday. Always those outside linebackers, it takes them a couple of games to go get their feet underneath them. Which it will, but he's had a good training camp and good week of practice so I'm looking forward to it."

On how the defensive line can help the rest of the defense:
"It all starts upfront, always does. With the five guys that we have – with [DL] Caleb [Brantley], and [DL] [Tim] Settle. I mean the sky's the limit with those guys. I'm excited; they're phenomenal human beings and football players. And they're looking to get after players. I love to play
with them if I was an inside linebacker. So, I'm excited for the guys playing inside as well."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To keep this team alive and to keep his job past 2019, Manusky has to move beyond 'bend but don't break' to being aggressive in playcalling for this defense.

No more playing 8-10 yards off receivers and allowing 3rd and 6 to be a gimmee conversions to the TE over the middle.

The inside linebackers Hamilton and Bostic and the safeties need to be able to shut these plays downs.

We need to challenge receivers at the line of scrimmage physically.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.