• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Grades, Predictions, Evals, Questions, 2019 Season

We could draft Chase Young, but that isn't going to help anything. Look at the Bears and Khalil Mack.

Jerry Jeudy would be interesting, but he won't matter either. Look at the Falcons with Julio Jones or the Browns with OBJ.

No......we need a minimum of 3 first rounders to catch up with the rest of the league. And there's only one way to ever get there.

I'm not even sure I'd want Chase Young at this point. His performance against a solid OL in Wisconsin in the Big 10 Championship was invisible...no sacks, 2 hurries. They did a great job of taking him out of the equation for 4 Q's.

I think we all agree, trading down from the 1 or 2 spot would be ideal...I just don't see us losing enough to be there, especially after watching the Gnats blow this lead in Philly.

We will easily beat them and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we beat the Turds to eliminate them from the Playoffs.

BurnersBurning.php.png

Burner's Burning Questions: Grades, Predictions, Evals, Questions, 2019 Season

Greetings from BBQ to everyone here at BGO. The holiday season is here and we hope it will be the best for you and your loved ones. Hello to everyone on social media. You are our honored guest, so sit back and enjoy.

The Redskins put up a valiant effort on Sunday, but it wasn't enough as they fell to the Packers. A poor start doomed their efforts to mount a comeback and they Burgundy and Gold dropped to 3-10. Problems obviously still exist and changes are all but inevitable at this juncture. There will be a new head coach this winter. Assistant coaches are barely hanging on and if the NFL draft was held today, the Burgundy and Gold would have the third overall pick in the 2020 draft. The struggling displays this season have fans fuming and calling for the heads of the team president, defensive coordinator, and owner. Today we assign grades for the Packers game and make a prediction for the Eagles game. We also include what the Redskins should do in the 2020 free agency market. Also, we have a 2020 mock draft and it includes some trades.

BBQ would love to see your grades and evaluations each week if you are so inclined to do so. Too, your predictions for the next game are always appreciated. Give us your thoughts on 2020 free agency. And, if you're wanting to do more, feel free to put up a 2020 mock draft. There are no restrictions here. Go for it!

Upcoming Dates:
- Days until the Eagles game: 5
- Days until the Giants game: 12
- Days until Christmas: 15
- Days until the Cowboys game: 19

Week Fourteen: Grades and Evaluations
Offense:
Dwayne Haskins labored throughout the game and the game was still not decided until the last minute. He played on a sprained ankle and gained the admiration of his teammates, coaches, and most fans. The line had a subpar game. Terry McLaurin continues to prove that he is a stud in the making. Tight ends? What tight ends? Wendell Smallwood needs to improve drastically in this final three game stretch.
BBQ Grade: C-

Defense:
The defense had a respectable game all things considered. They needed a few stops early in the game, but this unit improved throughout the game. They are the reason why it was close and undecided until the end. Matt Ioannidis is having his best year in a Redskins uniform. Daron Payne is solid. Jimmy Moreland needs more time, but his future is looking good.
BBQ Grade: C+

Special Teams:
Nick Sundberg has been a liability at times over the last three seasons and a poor snap on an extra point attempt affected the Redskins significantly on Sunday. Tress Way had a subpar game and the coverage was a bit off as well.
BBQ Grade: D

Coaching:
Falling behind each week 14-0 doesn't mean the team will come back to win these games. Leaving Dwayne Haskins in the game helped the young signal caller to gain some hardcore respect, but it was ill-advised to keep sending him out there. The offense couldn't get fully on track and the defense kept the team afloat until the final minute. Special teams were a bit off on Sunday.
BBQ Grade: C-

Week Fifteen Prediction: Eagles at Redskins
BBQ moves to 11-2 after a two game skid, but we're glad to be wrong at times. The team returns home on Sunday against the division co-leader and they want to remain at the top. The Redskins have been competitive the last three weeks and they are likely to give Philadelphia a hard fought battle on Sunday. The team continues taking steps in the right direction, but they will fall short once again.
Eagles vs Redskins: FedEx Field – Landover, MD, Sunday 1:00pm EST
Television: FOX
BBQ Prediction: Eagles 27 Redskins 20
Current BBQ Record: 11-2

Redskins Free Agency 2020
The Redskins are projected to have substantial cap space for 2020. A new CBA could push the total much higher. Generous cap space and so much more to be gained should be taken advantage of during this upcoming off-season. Here is what BBQ projects:
1. Release or trade CB Josh Norman - $12.5M additional cap space gained.
2. Release or trade OT Trent Williams - $12.75M additional cap space gained.
3. Release or trade OLB Ryan Kerrigan - $11.75M additional cap space gained.
4. Release TE Jordan Reed - $8.5M additional cap space gained.
5. Franchise OG Brandon Scherff – if needed, but work out a long term deal.
6. Re-sign OG Ereck Flowers.
7. Tender RFA DE Caleb Brantley.
8. Re-sign OLB Nate Orchard.
9. Re-sign ILB Jon Bostic.
10. Sign WR Amari Cooper of the Cowboys.
11. Sign Edge/OLB/DE Yannick Ngakoue of the Jaguars.
12. Sign CB Byron Jones of the Cowboys.
13. Sign TE Austin Hooper of the Falcons.
14. Sign RFA TE Jacob Hollister of the Seahawks.
15. Sign QB Nate Sudfeld of the Eagles to a modest contract.
16. Sign OT/RT Germain Ifedi of the Seahawks.

In-Season Mock Draft
The Redskins trade down a few spots in the first round and gain the following: A second rounder. A third rounder. A seventh rounder. A 2021 first rounder. The Redskins trade Trent Williams for a third rounder. The Redskins also trade Ryan Kerrigan after he agrees to a re-worked contract - for a fifth rounder.
Round One: Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia
Round Two: Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama
Round Three: Sage Surratt, WR, Wake Forest
Round Three: Darryl Williams, OG, Mississippi St.
Round Four: Colby Parkinson, TE, Stanford
Round Four (Comp): Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia
Round Five: Paddy Fisher, ILB, Northwestern
Round Five: Jonathan Garvin, Edge/OLB, Miami
Round Seven: Bryce Perkins, QB, Virginia
Round Seven: Naquan Jones, DT, Michigan St.
Round Seven: Colton McKivitz, OT, West Virginia

Last edited:
And I have a new article for this week - it posted this morning at Riggo's Rag. It centers on the need for a backup QB and developmental prospect QB. I look into some of the choices. Go take a look when you have the chance.

And I have a new article for this week - it posted this morning at Riggo's Rag. It centers on the need for a backup QB and developmental prospect QB. I look into some of the choices. Go take a look when you have the chance.

So McCoy and Keenum are gone, likely.
I wonder what are the chances that Alex Smith is wearing a Skins uni next year, whether on the sideline or on the field ?
Obviously not high, but I'm tellin ya, there's a chance !

So McCoy and Keenum are gone, likely.
I wonder what are the chances that Alex Smith is wearing a Skins uni next year, whether on the sideline or on the field ?
Obviously not high, but I'm tellin ya, there's a chance !

In his article, Ken says 'it's time to move on from Keenum and McCoy'. The team will definitely move on from McCoy who not only hasn't played particularly well when given the chance, but has shown he cannot stay healthy. But Keenum is likely to be retained imho since he likely won't have an opportunity to start anywhere else, and he is a very experienced QB (whether you're a fan of his performances in 2019 or not). I'm not sure there are more qualified backups out there.

I have no idea what happens with Alex Smith. I think he believes he can play again. And he's not going to acquiesce and 'give' Dwayne Haskins the starting job. If he does come back in 2020 healthy enough to play, he'll very likely beat out Dwayne Haskins for the starting job. That would create a pretty messy situation as having been placed in the starting role, Haskins would have a hard time sitting and the DC media would create an ongoing stir about it. I really have no idea how the Redskins should handle this. How they handle Smith might also impact whether they extend Keenum.

Another wildcard factor would be if the Redskins draft a QB in the upcoming draft.

In short - who the hell knows what this team will do?

Btw - I'm going on record... if the Redskins do end up with one of the top 2 or 3 draft spots, I believe they absolutely should draft a QB. We do not know if Haskins can become a franchise starter, and likely still won't know going into the draft. It might be another decade or more before the Redskins draft that highly. If you can grab Tua or another top tier QB, I think it would be hard not to. Let the 2 youngsters battle it out and the worst case scenario is you trade the loser of that battle.

I know that's an unpopular take - but QB is so crucial and whether you like Haskins or not, none of us knows if he can be the guy. Insurance in case he isn't that guy is a no-brainer, especially when we only rarely have our pick of the draft litter.

Btw - I'm going on record... if the Redskins do end up with one of the top 2 or 3 draft spots, I believe they absolutely should draft a QB. We do not know if Haskins can become a franchise starter, and likely still won't know going into the draft. It might be another decade or more before the Redskins draft that highly. If you can grab Tua or another top tier QB, I think it would be hard not to. Let the 2 youngsters battle it out and the worst case scenario is you trade the loser of that battle.

I know that's an unpopular take - but QB is so crucial and whether you like Haskins or not, none of us knows if he can be the guy. Insurance in case he isn't that guy is a no-brainer, especially when we only rarely have our pick of the draft litter.

I agree
It would be like having RG3 and Cousins back in their "prime"...which seems weird saying that. But hard to think of a better example.
Likely, you would have a pretty capable backup, as well as a decent starter, both on rookie contracts for a while, and you really need a capable backup in this league
The other option is to trade one of them, although I think a lot of people would feel more comfortable with having 2 capable QB's.
Then of course, there's the possibility that one or both of them falls on his face, but at least you gave a decent effort to solidify the position.
But I don't think we necessarily need to use a 1st round pick on a QB, in this draft ; There seems to be comparable QB talent to be had in rounds after 1. Who knows, maybe TT drops to the 2nd ?
After more thought, I think I'd rather do that - take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, and focus on LT and/or WR with the first couple picks.

Last edited:

I think this is a great idea...and one that is being tossed about in the local media. I brought up drafting Tua earlier in the year, but dumping Haskins. If Tua were healthy I think I'd still like that idea if we had a chance to draft him.

Unfortunately, Tua will probably not see a football field until 2021 because of his hip injury, if he sees the field ever again. Some people have him going in the 1st round regardless, but we're not a team who can afford to take that chance. It would be nice if he falls to like the 3 or 4th round, but even then it'd be such a risk in light of that injury.

Other than Tua before he got hurt...the only QB worth a top 10 pick is Burrow, but there is no indication to think the Bengals aren't going to take him at #1 . And if by some miracle he slips to the 2nd pick, the Giants are likely to be the #2 pick...they would almost assuredly trade down since the have Jones.

It's going to be interesting how this plays out, but I think we're just going to have to be happy with drafting our LT of the future, then hoping we can recover something in value for Norman, Kerrigan, and Williams to make up for our lack of a second round pick.

Last edited:
Tua dislocated his hip, and also fractured the back rim of the socket that holds the ball of the femur in place. They resolved the dislocation almost immediately. And then he had surgery to fix the hip socket fracture. The idea that his 'career' is in jeopardy or that he 'may never play again' is media nonsense.

He will make a full recovery and be unaffected by the injury long-term and he will be ready to play IN 2020, not 2021.

Stop reading the sports hypsters - medically he will be fine. And if he's there when we pick we are absolute morons not to take him imho.

It's waaaay too early to give up on Haskins at this point. Especially without a starting LT and #1 & 2 TE's, then throw in our #1 RB all out of commission. He's obviously not lighting it up but not many vets could with our scenario. He's slowly correcting his mistakes and that's all that should have been expected from him THIS year.

With those holes on offense and no 2nd rounder it makes too much sense to me not to trade back and add picks. We need to win the trade back deals like a boss tho, no exceptions. That first pick has to be a LT and there's a few that are worthy of 1st round grades. Thomas is obviously the best rated but if we can trade down minimally while getting him we'd be set there. Then move on to TE and RB.

With an acquired 2nd rounder the next on the priority list is a TE. With a little luck and a high 2nd I think we can grab this kid from Missouri, Albert Okwuegbunam. If anything we're due for an Albert that actually produces for the skins, so it's an omen.

https://youtu.be/gBYmxqzCMLI

If the Redskins draft a QB with a top 3 pick, then Redskins fans will be having this same conversation next year. Drafting a QB next year does not improve the team very much. Even if whoever you take is better than Haskins, the team isn't that much better. They need to use their draft picks wisely building up the rest of the team so that whoever the QB is in 2020 and beyond can have a line to protect him, weapons to throw to, and a defense he can rely on if the offense is having an off day. The Redskins have none of that. They have some promising young WRs, but no TE and no healthy young RBs. The line is a mess and needs to be rebuilt. The defense needs improving as well. With the 2nd pick, they could take Chase Young who is being touted as a game changing edge rusher. Or they could take the top LT with the 3rd pick and hopefully have their next 10 year LT. Both of those players would improve the team a lot more than drafting a QB with that top pick.

I don't think there is a can't miss QB prospect in this draft and if there is, there is no way the Bengals pass on him. Meaning the Redskins will be picking from the 2nd best or 3rd best QB depending on who they like. That is what they did this past year as well. So it could be repeating what they did last year but much higher in the draft where the cost of missing is much greater than at pick 15. If the Bengals take Young and the Redskins have the 2nd pick, then I'd like to see them trade out of the 2nd spot for whatever team wants Burrow. That should allow them to improve multiple positions with multiple 1st round picks and perhaps pick up a 2021 1st rounder that may help them draft a QB the next year if Haskins doesn't get any better. And if he doesn't get any better, then they will have another very high pick in 2021 where they can take a QB. But they should have improved their team in the other areas with the 2020 draft so this new QB will have a better supporting cast and thus a better starting point.

If I'm reading this correctly Sprinkle is the 31st ranked TE in the league. What's funny is there's a few teams with not one but 2 TE's ahead of J.S. on the chart. The new GM has to find time to properly address that position this offseason.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/te/2019

Tua dislocated his hip, and also fractured the back rim of the socket that holds the ball of the femur in place. They resolved the dislocation almost immediately. And then he had surgery to fix the hip socket fracture. The idea that his 'career' is in jeopardy or that he 'may never play again' is media nonsense.

He will make a full recovery and be unaffected by the injury long-term and he will be ready to play IN 2020, not 2021.

Stop reading the sports hypsters - medically he will be fine. And if he's there when we pick we are absolute morons not to take him imho.

I am going to defer any medical questions to you...I am just echoing what is being said about how soon he returns to the field.

You know how highly I think of the kid. He's just too big a risk to take if we're the #2-#5 pick in the draft.

As for all of us who'd like to trade down, you must find a trade partner. It's a lot easier said than done. We have to be a 1 or 2 pick, Burrow and Chase Young are the only players anyone would be willing to trade to get...I just don't see anyone willing to trade up.

Who knows? Maybe someone would be willing to trade up for Herbert...I just doubt it.

Last edited:
IMO...the issue isn't what's available at QB next draft (though that factors). The issue is whether Haskins is the answer; otherwise, we're down for the count for another couple years.

I haven't see enough to be sure. My concerns:
1. He takes too long to move through his progressions.
2. His fundamentals, according to the experts, are not his long-suit.
3. He sails the ball way too often.

Above all elese, what really bothers me, is that when the moment counts and receivers are open....he doesn't produce. He constantly made the wrong decision or simply didn't see the field. Now that just may be a factor of experience and learning NFL speed. Right now, it really trouibles me. Call it the "it factor" that winners just innately possess. He has youth. He has spirit. He has a strong arm. He is more mobile than I thought. Is he a leader? Does he have that ability to see the opportunity in the moment/the play and exploit it? I'm not sure. We'll tube an other year next season with the bar set higher to find out. If not, another two years finding a new QB.

Another uncertainty is coaching. It obviously hasn't been up to snuff for years. The results say so and what we see with our own eyes confirm it. I don't know how many of Haskins growth issues trace to his coaching and the overall team coaching that doesn't add up to a full team operating on all cylinders.

Bruce must go. Snyder owns it all but he's not going anywhere.

It's waaaay too early to give up on Haskins at this point. Especially without a starting LT and #1 & 2 TE's, then throw in our #1 RB all out of commission. He's obviously not lighting it up but not many vets could with our scenario. He's slowly correcting his mistakes and that's all that should have been expected from him THIS year.

With those holes on offense and no 2nd rounder it makes too much sense to me not to trade back and add picks. We need to win the trade back deals like a boss tho, no exceptions. That first pick has to be a LT and there's a few that are worthy of 1st round grades. Thomas is obviously the best rated but if we can trade down minimally while getting him we'd be set there. Then move on to TE and RB.

With an acquired 2nd rounder the next on the priority list is a TE. With a little luck and a high 2nd I think we can grab this kid from Missouri, Albert Okwuegbunam. If anything we're due for an Albert that actually produces for the skins, so it's an omen.

https://youtu.be/gBYmxqzCMLI

I get that argument but drafting a QB with a top 3 pick wouldn't be 'giving up'. One could argue it's a no-brainer despite most fans having a conniption fit if you even suggest the possibility. Even Om thinks it's an insane suggestion. But here's why it makes absolute sense:

1) It's not about it being 'too soon to give up on Haskins'. It's nearly impossible to know based on 1/2 season of play whether ANY QB is capable of being the savior. It just is. We won't know for awhile. If he proves to be just a guy, and we passed on the opportunity to draft another potential franchise starter because we didn't want to hurt his feelings, that will be a disaster.

2) You lose nothing by drafting a QB. By definition, a QB at that spot is going to be highly coveted. If one of the 2 QBs (Haskins and Tua, or whoever) clearly outshines the other, you trade the other one. Some would fear that Haskins, if he got beat out by a 2nd drafted QB, wouldn't have trade value. He would. But that sort of proves my point that we aren't sure he can really excel at this level. Why stubbornly stick to 'wishful thinking' if you have a chance to draft another promising QB.

3) A great young QB isn't going to 'wilt' under the pressure of having to compete with another potential future star. A great young QB isn't going to have his confidence rattled, or pout, or cry. He's going to compete, and ball out, and win the job. Are you sure that if we went this route that's what we'd see from Haskins? I'm not. And that's one of the reasons why it is the right move.

4) QB is unlike any other NFL position. You have to get that spot right or you are not going anywhere. It's hard to get it right. There's some luck involved. That's why being reluctant to roll the dice, giving a young QB years and years to prove they aren't a bust, and being afraid to dip into the well again are all recipes for failure. Having a top 3 pick is a rarity even for bad teams. When you have one, you have to think hard about going QB even when you believe you could already have one on your roster.

I think it's a no-brainer. And that's why the Redskins likely won't do it.

If the Redskins draft a QB with a top 3 pick, then Redskins fans will be having this same conversation next year. Drafting a QB next year does not improve the team very much. Even if whoever you take is better than Haskins, the team isn't that much better. They need to use their draft picks wisely building up the rest of the team so that whoever the QB is in 2020 and beyond can have a line to protect him, weapons to throw to, and a defense he can rely on if the offense is having an off day. The Redskins have none of that. They have some promising young WRs, but no TE and no healthy young RBs. The line is a mess and needs to be rebuilt. The defense needs improving as well. With the 2nd pick, they could take Chase Young who is being touted as a game changing edge rusher. Or they could take the top LT with the 3rd pick and hopefully have their next 10 year LT. Both of those players would improve the team a lot more than drafting a QB with that top pick.

I don't think there is a can't miss QB prospect in this draft and if there is, there is no way the Bengals pass on him. Meaning the Redskins will be picking from the 2nd best or 3rd best QB depending on who they like. That is what they did this past year as well. So it could be repeating what they did last year but much higher in the draft where the cost of missing is much greater than at pick 15. If the Bengals take Young and the Redskins have the 2nd pick, then I'd like to see them trade out of the 2nd spot for whatever team wants Burrow. That should allow them to improve multiple positions with multiple 1st round picks and perhaps pick up a 2021 1st rounder that may help them draft a QB the next year if Haskins doesn't get any better. And if he doesn't get any better, then they will have another very high pick in 2021 where they can take a QB. But they should have improved their team in the other areas with the 2020 draft so this new QB will have a better supporting cast and thus a better starting point.

Who cares about next season? Both Burrow and Tua have 'could have epic 20 year career' potential. Is anyone here willing to predict that for Haskins? I hope he has it - but I've seen little to give me confidence in that. If either of those guys are there at pick #2 and we are selecting there, we would be insane not to draft him. I do agree that if we got some insane offer to trade down from there, it's worth considering.

A lot of what we do should be determined by (hopefully) our new GM, and a competent Head Coach's assessment of how high or limited Haskins future ceiling is. I don't think Gruden was all that impressed (and say what you want, but Gruden knew his stuff when it came to the QB position) and I don't think Callahan has a clue. If we somehow get lucky with a smart head coach, that will be very helpful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.