• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Grades, Predictions, Evals, Questions, 2019 Season

IMO...the issue isn't what's available at QB next draft (though that factors). The issue is whether Haskins is the answer; otherwise, we're down for the count for another couple years.

I haven't see enough to be sure. My concerns:
1. He takes too long to move through his progressions.
2. His fundamentals, according to the experts, are not his long-suit.
3. He sails the ball way too often.

Above all elese, what really bothers me, is that when the moment counts and receivers are open....he doesn't produce. He constantly made the wrong decision or simply didn't see the field. Now that just may be a factor of experience and learning NFL speed. Right now, it really trouibles me. Call it the "it factor" that winners just innately possess. He has youth. He has spirit. He has a strong arm. He is more mobile than I thought. Is he a leader? Does he have that ability to see the opportunity in the moment/the play and exploit it? I'm not sure. We'll tube an other year next season with the bar set higher to find out. If not, another two years finding a new QB.

Another uncertainty is coaching. It obviously hasn't been up to snuff for years. The results say so and what we see with our own eyes confirm it. I don't know how many of Haskins growth issues trace to his coaching and the overall team coaching that doesn't add up to a full team operating on all cylinders.

Bruce must go. Snyder owns it all but he's not going anywhere.

That's a pretty fair assessment. I'm not sure you can judge the 'it' factor this early though. For example, no one looked to have the 'it factor' more than Baker Mayfield in his rookie season. That moniker is looking pretty shaky about now. I think Haskins, by his own admission, was extremely hyped up and nervous in his initial starts. He was extremely accurate in his admittedly limited college starts. He has improved with more starts and being calmer. I expect he'll continue to improve on that front but you're right that's been an issue. He is going through his progressions more quickly as the season progresses which is encouraging. My criticisms would be related to him holding onto the ball far too long. He has to learn that sometimes the best play available is throwing it away. When your QB gets sacked a ton, bad things are going to happen. He's taken way too many of them and that has to change. He definitely throws off base at times. I'm not as concerned about that only because he frequently did it at OSU with little impact on accuracy - his arm is one of the strongest in the NFL. I think his accuracy issues have been more about adrenaline and just not having a lot of time to mesh with the WR corps. One of my bigger concerns is his mental game. There have been some comments and behavior which have made me question what he is really all about. It could just be his extreme youth. But he is awfully worried about things like social media and I don't like that at all.

I get that argument but drafting a QB with a top 3 pick wouldn't be 'giving up'. One could argue it's a no-brainer despite most fans having a conniption fit if you even suggest the possibility. Even Om thinks it's an insane suggestion. But here's why it makes absolute sense:

1) It's not about it being 'too soon to give up on Haskins'. It's nearly impossible to know based on 1/2 season of play whether ANY QB is capable of being the savior. It just is. We won't know for awhile. If he proves to be just a guy, and we passed on the opportunity to draft another potential franchise starter because we didn't want to hurt his feelings, that will be a disaster.

2) You lose nothing by drafting a QB. By definition, a QB at that spot is going to be highly coveted. If one of the 2 QBs (Haskins and Tua, or whoever) clearly outshines the other, you trade the other one. Some would fear that Haskins, if he got beat out by a 2nd drafted QB, wouldn't have trade value. He would. But that sort of proves my point that we aren't sure he can really excel at this level. Why stubbornly stick to 'wishful thinking' if you have a chance to draft another promising QB.

3) A great young QB isn't going to 'wilt' under the pressure of having to compete with another potential future star. A great young QB isn't going to have his confidence rattled, or pout, or cry. He's going to compete, and ball out, and win the job. Are you sure that if we went this route that's what we'd see from Haskins? I'm not. And that's one of the reasons why it is the right move.

4) QB is unlike any other NFL position. You have to get that spot right or you are not going anywhere. It's hard to get it right. There's some luck involved. That's why being reluctant to roll the dice, giving a young QB years and years to prove they aren't a bust, and being afraid to dip into the well again are all recipes for failure. Having a top 3 pick is a rarity even for bad teams. When you have one, you have to think hard about going QB even when you believe you could already have one on your roster.

I think it's a no-brainer. And that's why the Redskins likely won't do it.

I get that we may have the best opportunity for the foreseeable future to land a top 2 pick in qb terms. I hope like hell we're never picking this high again. What i'm trying to say is without a 2nd rounder and the MANY holes we have it will not make a difference who you insert at qb, the offense is too incomplete for him to succeed.

Take Keenum for example, a seasoned vet who's won a fair amount of games everywhere he's been...except here. Far from a world beater but a vet savvy enough to scrape together decent games, it's apparent he needs a halfway decent o-line and a real TE in place.

I'm hoping not but you guys could very well be correct that Haskins won't amount to much more than what we've seen already. An inconsistent passer with iffy mechanics and a penchant for getting sacked. Only time will tell but drafting qb in back to back seasons would ruin any confidence as well as cohesiveness he's established thus far. I'd be more worried about what the players would think in that there is absolutely no incentive to come to washington as a young player seeing how we can discard picks/loyalty in the blink of an eye. I could see the younger guys like Scary and Harmon begging to leave honestly.

Not addressing the LT and TE in the early rounds sets us back even further for whomever lines up behind center. If we can thoroughly shore those spots and RB up in the 2020 draft then I'd be okay with making a run at a QB in 2021, whether multiple picks are needed to land him or not. That's if DH hasn't evolved as well.

Dan, Bruce, Jay, Manusky, Trent, and our medical staff have put us in a seriously miserable predicament. Hell I'm at the point that after the season if Bruce isn't let go I may take a full break from the team until he is. I'll try my best anyway but it's apparent we're all masochist's in a football sense.

Hey - Haskins looked like Big Ben in his prime in that first half. I don't know if he's just starting to get it, or whether having his former head coach in attendance is inspiring him, but man - except for that miss on the last drive he has been almost perfect. Keep that up and there won't be any QB question talk.

As for Urban Meyer being in the owner's box today - color me intrigued. Could we be looking at an Urban Meyer at HC, Alex Smith at offensive coordinator scenario?

Probably not. But you never know...

Hey - Haskins looked like Big Ben in his prime in that first half. I don't know if he's just starting to get it, or whether having his former head coach in attendance is inspiring him, but man - except for that miss on the last drive he has been almost perfect. Keep that up and there won't be any QB question talk.

As for Urban Meyer being in the owner's box today - color me intrigued. Could we be looking at an Urban Meyer at HC, Alex Smith at offensive coordinator scenario?

Probably not. But you never know...

I was hopeful by your claim in chat, but then I got to see the drive before the half where he left points on the board because of his poor play.

I was hopeful by your claim in chat, but then I got to see the drive before the half where he left points on the board because of his poor play.

That was literally the first poor pass he made in the entire game. He played a helluva half and that post really irritates me.

1st half stats 12/17 for 178 yds, 2 TDs, and no INTs.

If you want to be a critic - watch the games :)

debbie_2Bdowner_medium.jpg

If the refs stay out of it we have a chance today. T-Mac is about to get his first 100 and Harmon will get a td, BOOK IT!

Maybe if I don't watch, he will be a good QB. Because when I do watch, he looks like a bad QB.

Man just imagine if we had gotten AP as a rookie, dude is such a warrior

Peterson needs 100 today, to go along with Harmon's td coming up next

That's a pretty fair assessment. I'm not sure you can judge the 'it' factor this early though. For example, no one looked to have the 'it factor' more than Baker Mayfield in his rookie season. That moniker is looking pretty shaky about now. I think Haskins, by his own admission, was extremely hyped up and nervous in his initial starts. He was extremely accurate in his admittedly limited college starts. He has improved with more starts and being calmer. I expect he'll continue to improve on that front but you're right that's been an issue. He is going through his progressions more quickly as the season progresses which is encouraging. My criticisms would be related to him holding onto the ball far too long. He has to learn that sometimes the best play available is throwing it away. When your QB gets sacked a ton, bad things are going to happen. He's taken way too many of them and that has to change. He definitely throws off base at times. I'm not as concerned about that only because he frequently did it at OSU with little impact on accuracy - his arm is one of the strongest in the NFL. I think his accuracy issues have been more about adrenaline and just not having a lot of time to mesh with the WR corps. One of my bigger concerns is his mental game. There have been some comments and behavior which have made me question what he is really all about. It could just be his extreme youth. But he is awfully worried about things like social media and I don't like that at all.

Couldn't agree more Boone..especially the last few sentences. I thought it strange when he stated "I'll show them" at his post draft interview rather than "I can't tell you how excited I am to be dfrafted by the Redksins. This is what I wanted and this couldn't be any better for me." But that's not what he said.

eh...maybe he's just another jejeune 21/22 year old who will mature in time.

he did look better today. I enjoyed the pass he made that had a lot of air under it as he tried to drop it in Sim's proverbial breadbasket down by the Iggles goal line. Didn't succeed but it was a very nice pass.

Can you guys believe...separated by 1 loss...we lost a game, the Giants win a game and we lose a spot in the draft order?

Haha!

Can you guys believe...separated by 1 loss...we lost a game, the Giants win a game and we lose a spot in the draft order?

Haha!

Next week will tell the tale against the gnats, pretty much all comes down to that. There's no way we're getting the 1st but still realistic to get the 2nd or 3rd. In reality all we need to do is finish ahead of the qb needy teams other than Cincy. Then we have a superb chance to wheel and deal

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

1-Benglas play phins, browns
2-Giants play us, philthy
3-Dolphins play the Bungles, Pats
4-skins play gnats, turds

Last edited:
BurnersBurning.php.png

Burner's Burning Questions: Grades, Predictions, Evals, Questions, 2019 Season

Greetings from BBQ to everyone here at BGO. The holiday season is here and gifts will be opened in the coming days. We hope this holiday season will be the best for you and your loved ones. Hello to everyone on social media. You are our honored guest, so sit back and enjoy.

The Redskins put up a spirited and determined effort on Sunday, but it wasn't enough as they fell to the Eagles in the final seconds. The Burgundy and Gold dropped to 3-11. Problems still exist and changes are all but inevitable at this juncture. There will be a new head coach this winter. Assistant coaches are barely hanging on and if the NFL draft was held today, the Redskins would have the fourth overall pick in the 2020 draft. The struggling displays this season have fans fuming and calling for the heads of the team president, defensive coordinator, and owner. Today we assign grades for the Eagles game and make a prediction for the Giants game. We also include what the Redskins should do in the 2020 free agency market. Also, we have a 2020 mock draft and it includes trades.

BBQ would love to see your grades and evaluations each week if you are so inclined to do so. Too, your predictions for the next game are always appreciated. Give us your thoughts on 2020 free agency. And, if you're wanting to do more, feel free to put up a 2020 mock draft. There are no restrictions here. Go for it!

Upcoming Dates:
- Days until the Giants game: 4
- Days until Christmas: 7
- Days until the Cowboys game: 11
- Days until the new year: 14
- Days until we bid farewell to BGO: 47

Week Fifteen: Grades and Evaluations
Offense:
Dwayne Haskins had his best game as a pro thus far and while it wasn't perfect, he did labor throughout the game with a sprained ankle. He had the offense in the game until the final seconds and that was against a team that is fighting to win a divisional championship. Terry McLaurin continues to amaze and Steven Sims impressed, but he also made a few rookie mistakes. Tight ends continue to be non-existent and Adrian Peterson is an ageless wonder. The offensive line could've played better, but it wasn't a disaster as well.
BBQ Grade: C+

Defense:
The defense had some positive moments, but this unit was also poorly coached for much of the game. Landon Collins was often in the wrong place at the wrong time. Montae Nicholson needs to stop with the boneheaded mistakes. Jon Bostic has played admirably, but where was Shaun Dion Hamilton? Ryan Anderson is proving that the Redskins can move on from Ryan Kerrigan this offseason. The defensive line had a mixed day, but the defense simply gave up too much toward the end of the game.
BBQ Grade: C-

Special Teams:
Tress Way had another excellent game and it is no surprise that he was chosen as a first team Pro Bowl punter this week. Dustin Hopkins had his best game of the season. The return unit is the only group that keeps the grade from being perfect. There were no glaring mistakes, but the returns were subpar.
BBQ Grade: A

Coaching:
The offensive coaching was good and the defensive coaching wasn't good. Special teams had a great game. If the defense had a better showing, this weekly grade would've been the best of the season thus far. Are you ready for a new defensive coordinator and staff?
BBQ Grade: C-

Week Fifteen Prediction: Giants at Redskins
BBQ moves to 12-2, but we're glad to be wrong at times. The team continues a home stand on Sunday against the lowly Giants and they want to have one more victory. The Redskins have been competitive the last four weeks and they are likely to give New York a hard fought battle on Sunday. The team continues taking steps in the right direction and they will get a win on Sunday.
Giants vs Redskins: FedEx Field – Landover, MD, Sunday 1:00pm EST
Television: FOX
BBQ Prediction: Redskins 31 Giants 26
Current BBQ Record: 12-2

Redskins Free Agency 2020
The Redskins are projected to have substantial cap space for 2020. A new CBA could push the total much higher. Generous cap space and so much more to be gained should be taken advantage of during this upcoming off-season. Here is what BBQ projects:
1. Release or trade CB Josh Norman - $12.5M additional cap space gained.
2. Release or trade OT Trent Williams - $12.75M additional cap space gained.
3. Release or trade OLB Ryan Kerrigan - $11.75M additional cap space gained.
4. Release TE Jordan Reed - $8.5M additional cap space gained.
5. Release WR Paul Richardson - $6.5M additional cap space gained (post June 1).
6. Franchise OG Brandon Scherff – Trade for a 2020 second round pick and a 2021 third round choice.
7. Re-sign OG Ereck Flowers.
8. Tender RFA DE Caleb Brantley.
9. Re-sign ILB Jon Bostic.
10. Sign FS Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix of the Bears.
11. Sign Edge/OLB/DE Yannick Ngakoue of the Jaguars.
12. Sign CB Byron Jones of the Cowboys.
13. Sign TE Austin Hooper of the Falcons.
14. Sign RFA TE Jacob Hollister of the Seahawks.
15. Sign QB Nate Sudfeld of the Eagles to a modest contract.
16. Sign OT/RT Germain Ifedi of the Seahawks.
17. Sign OG Joe Thuney of the Patriots.
18. Sign QB Brett Rypien off of the Denver Broncos practice squad prior to week seventeen next week and use the offseason to evaluate him.

In-Season Mock Draft
The Redskins trade Brandon Scherff for a second round pick and a 2021 third round selection. The Redskins trade Trent Williams for a third rounder. The Redskins also trade Ryan Kerrigan after he agrees to a re-worked contract - for a fifth rounder.
Round One: Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia
Round Two: Brycen Hopkins, TE, Purdue
Round Three: Sage Surratt, WR, Wake Forest
Round Three: Darryl Williams, OG, Mississippi St.
Round Four: Anfernee Jennings, Edge, Alabama
Round Four (Comp): Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville
Round Five: Najee Harris, RB, Alabama
Round Five: Paddy Fisher, ILB, Northwestern
Round Seven: Leki Fotu, DT, Utah
Round Seven: Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR, Liberty

In-Season Mock Draft
The Redskins trade Brandon Scherff for a second round pick and a 2021 third round selection. The Redskins trade Trent Williams for a third rounder. The Redskins also trade Ryan Kerrigan after he agrees to a re-worked contract - for a fifth rounder.
Round One: Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia
Round Two: Brycen Hopkins, TE, Purdue
Round Three: Sage Surratt, WR, Wake Forest
Round Three: Darryl Williams, OG, Mississippi St.
Round Four: Anfernee Jennings, Edge, Alabama
Round Four (Comp): Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville
Round Five: Najee Harris, RB, Alabama
Round Five: Paddy Fisher, ILB, Northwestern
Round Seven: Leki Fotu, DT, Utah
Round Seven: Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR, Liberty

You're thinking just like me.

That draft really addresses our needs in an almost perfect prioritized order.

Hopefully Braillford at Edge, and Love at RB, when and if healthy, makes those positions less of a critical need.

I dig your draft BB, hit offense hard which is what Bieienemy (sp) will want. I'm assuming Martin filled in for Scherff, how'd he do for a rookie?

I have no idea what Dan's thinking but I definitely want Bienemy as our next HC. Guy has been running a damn good offense for a few years now & he'd by my #1 candidate out of available coaches. Boone's persuaded me to have Meyer as my #2 though. By persuade I mean threatened violence

No rumors to my knowledge we're interviewing anyone honestly. Basically trying to will it at this point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.