• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Grades, Predictions, Evals, Questions, 2019 Season

The Redskins are finally facing an opponent that like Washington has limited talent and questionable coaching.

This game is like two cave men slugging each other with clubs.

Meanwhile New England flies by in an F-22.

Jordan Reed to IR finally per Schefter ...

Jordan Reed to IR finally per Schefter ...

That's our front office, slower than a half dead sloth on Ambien

BurnersBurning.php.png

Greetings from BBQ to everyone here at BGO. We hope your week is going well. Hello to everyone on social media. We'd love to have you as a member here and become a part of the family.

The Redskins are looking at a 2019 season that is nothing short of a disaster. The head coach has been fired. Others are barely hanging on and if the NFL draft was held today, the Burgundy and Gold would have the third overall pick in 2020. The struggling displays this season have fans fuming and calling for the heads of the team president, defensive coordinator, and the owner. Today we assign grades for the Dolphins game and make a prediction for the next game. We also include what the Redskins should do in the 2020 free agency market. Also, we have a 2020 mock draft and it includes two trades.

BBQ would love to see your grades and evaluations each week if you are so inclined to do so. Too, your predictions for the next game are always appreciated. Give us your thoughts on 2020 free agency. And, if you're wanting to do more, feel free to put up 2020 a mock draft. There are no restrictions here. Go for it!

Upcoming Dates:
- Days until the 49ers game: 3
- Days until the Vikings game: 7
- Days until Halloween: 14
- Days until the bye: 24
- Days until Thanksgiving: 42
- Days until the Eagles game: 59
- Days until the Giants game: 66
- Days until Christmas: 69
- Days until the Cowboys game: 73

Week Six: Grades and Evaluations
Offense:
The offense consisted of Terry McLaurin and Adrian Peterson, but not much else. Ereck Flowers continues to be the best offensive lineman for the Redskins. The new commitment to the running game was a plus, but the Redskins should've scored more points against a woeful Dolphins team. The fourth quarter was a struggle. BBQ is not impressed, but a victory is a victory.
BBQ Grade: C-

Defense:
The defense feasted in the first half and was absolutely dominant – albeit, against the worst team in the league. The third quarter was solid, but the fourth quarter was a disaster. In all honesty, the Dolphins deserved to win at the end and the only thing that saved the defense was a horribly designed two point conversion attempt.
BBQ Grade: D+

Special Teams:
Tress Way had a very good game. Dustin Hopkins connected on a field goal, but barely missed a 55 yarder – hardly a reason to give him a poor grade for that effort.
BBQ Grade: B+

Coaching:
Securing a win means there will be no failing grade this week. Deserving to lose at the end against the worst team in the league equals plenty of scorn from BBQ. Most of this grade is directed at Greg Manusky.
BBQ Grade: D

Week Seven Prediction: 49ers at Redskins
This is a rinse and repeat from the Patriots game. The only real question would be, “how many points will the 49ers score”? It could get very ugly quickly. Kyle Shanahan is still bitter about how his father was treated by the Redskins front office. The revenge factor here is huge.
49ers vs. Redskins: FedEx Field – Landover, MD, Sunday 1pm EDT
Television: FOX
BBQ Prediction: 49ers 45 Redskins 7
Current BBQ Record: 6-0

Redskins Free Agency 2020
The Redskins are projected to have substantial cap space for 2020. A new CBA could push the total much higher. This may. Generous cap space and so much more to be gained should be taken advantage of during this upcoming off-season. Here is what BBQ projects:
1. Release Josh Norman - $12.5M additional cap space gained.
2. Release Trent Williams - $12.75M additional cap space gained.
3. Release Ryan Kerrigan - $11.75M additional cap space gained.
4. Release Jordan Reed - $8.5M additional cap space gained.
5. Release Adrian Peterson - $2.25M additional cap space gained.
6. Re-sign Brandon Scherff.
7. Sign CB Byron Jones of the Cowboys.
8. Sign TE Hunter Henry of the Chargers.
9. Sign Edge Yannick Ngakoue of the Jaguars.
10. Sign WR Robby Anderson of the Jets.
11. Sign CB Kendall Fuller of the Chiefs.
12. Sign RT Jack Conklin of the Titans to a modest contract.

In-Season Mock Draft Three
The Redskins trade a down few positions in the first round and gain the following: A second rounder. A third rounder. A sixth rounder. A 2021 second rounder. A 2022 second rounder. The Redskins trade down in round two and gain third and fourth rounders.
Round One: Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia
Round Two: Brycen Hopkins, TE, Purdue
Round Three: Alaric Jackson, OT, Iowa
Round Four: Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia
Round Four: Ben Bredeson, OG, Michigan
Round Four (Comp): Tipa Galea'i, OLB, Utah St.
Round Five: A.J. Dillion, RB, Boston College
Round Six: Colton McKivitz, OT, West Virginia
Round Seven: Naquan Jones, DT, Michigan St.
Round Seven: Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR, Liberty

Well, if Chris Thompson, the man who cried for Jay Gruden, hadn't dropped a touchdown pass that was in his hands there would have been more points on the board.

On defense, the change to a veteran backup qb often takes opposing teams by surprise.

That said the defenses usually ADJUST after a drive or so.

Manusky for the most part rushed three and dropped eight which only gave the 36 year old Fitzpatrick the opportunity to sit in the pocket and find whomever was covered by Josh Norman.

See that last TD?

Norman has the coverage but tried to cheat by looking back to the qb and got beaten for the catch.

AGAIN.

How long are we going to keep this turkey here?

At 25, I would rather activate Colvin for SF and see if we have a corner over the next 7-8 games.

We aren't learning anything about Norman at age 31.

My latest article has posted at Riggo's Rag. Have a look and leave some comments/critiques.

Pretty fair write up on Guice there BB. At first glance it would be pretty easy to say yes he is, but with our plethora of injuries I think an audit of our medical staff is warranted before going to tribal council. IHonestly it could be Jay's bs practice habits leading to the rash of injuries too. Still it would be wise to take a RB early the next draft though, possibly 2 if Love's injury's linger on as well.

Do you guys think that Bill Belichek would keep on depending on Guice to get on the field?

Do you guys think that Bill Belichek would keep on depending on Guice to get on the field?

Nope, most NFL coaches/GM's would let him go after 2 seasons of IR. Especially rb's with knee issues. Even if Callahan isn't our coach, the next guy WILL utilize a running game, so a stable of 3 down backs is key to an offensive attack.

Hell I wouldn't be opposed to using a 4th rounder every draft on a rb until we get said stable.

Here's my way too early mock
Trading down like a mofo should be the name of the game and garnering as many mid round picks as possible. Holding out hope we can trade Greedy ass tackle for a 2nd rounder, or better

1. Trey Adams, OT, Washington
Height: 6-7. Weight: 334.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wFEIGlHglA

2. Albert Okwuegbunam*, TE, Missouri
Height: 6-5. Weight: 255
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmRDGSDBw4w

3. Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah
Height: 6-0. Weight: 190
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tznnEHc9ens

4. Najee Harris*, RB, Alabama
Height: 6-2. Weight: 230.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzUTsP0Iro8

comp
4. Rashard Lawrence, NT, LSU
Height: 6-3. Weight: 317
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kINjLn1KTw

5. J.R. Reed, S, Georgia
Height: 6-1. Weight: 194
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy9x7RPGZ8U

6. Alex Leatherwood*, OT/C/G, Alabama
Height: 6-6. Weight: 322
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg85Wo5JqSI

7. Rashod Berry*, TE, Ohio State
Height: 6-6. Weight: 250
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQsNQjvbQ1g

Yeah I went there regarding Alabama players

Honest opinion? I don't care what he would do. He doesn't coach here, and I don't see him as the Messiah others apparently do.That's just my opinion.

Oh, and I've never been a fan of Guice.

Honest opinion? I don't care what he would do. He doesn't coach here, and I don't see him as the Messiah others apparently do.That's just my opinion.

Oh, and I've never been a fan of Guice.

He's not a messiah, no one said that. The inference is, would a quality head coach continue to place hope in a 2nd year RB who has yet to play one half. No one should or would, bad franchises do that. I like that we drafted a RB just in case Guice couldn't go, but we drafted a RB who is still healing from a knee injury of his own, and has yet to play a down in the NFL. Not many franchises are going to put themselves in that position, and we shouldn't.

And if you're pinning the over rated sign on Belichek, I have to disagree. He should be talked about with the best. The game is different, and he's had some advantages over other coaches, but he's won 6 Super Bowls in 20 years. He's won the weak AFC East 11 in a row and I think 17 or 19 of his 20 years coaching. That may seem over rated to you, but not me.

Put him in Gibbs position with 3 different QB's I still think he wins a couple SB's.

He's not a messiah, no one said that. The inference is, would a quality head coach continue to place hope in a 2nd year RB who has yet to play one half. No one should or would, bad franchises do that. I like that we drafted a RB just in case Guice couldn't go, but we drafted a RB who is still healing from a knee injury of his own, and has yet to play a down in the NFL. Not many franchises are going to put themselves in that position, and we shouldn't.

And if you're pinning the over rated sign on Belichek, I have to disagree. He should be talked about with the best. The game is different, and he's had some advantages over other coaches, but he's won 6 Super Bowls in 20 years. He's won the weak AFC East 11 in a row and I think 17 or 19 of his 20 years coaching. That may seem over rated to you, but not me.

Put him in Gibbs position with 3 different QB's I still think he wins a couple SB's.

Belichick is one of the best NFL coaches ever. Where you rate him, doesn't matter. He just is. You can't separate him from Brady, but neither can you separate Brady from him. And he's shown, even when Brady wasn't there, that's he's a dominant coach.

As for Guice, I think you're trying to prove yourself smarter than everyone else (it's what you do :)). I agree that the Patriots (and Belichick) demand production, and are brutally practical when it comes to moving on from bad investments. They make *tough* decisions better than any team in the league, and I agree with you on that front. But if the Pats had drafted Guice in the 1st or 2nd round, seen him tear his ACL almost immediately, and then in the 2nd season see him get injured again, I think they'd do what 95% of NFL braintrusts would do. They'd chalk it up to bad luck and wait to see what he could do when he came back.

That's what the Redskins will do. And that's inarguably the smart thing to do.

You spent 2nd round capital on the guy and you really have no idea whether he's the 2nd coming of Marshawn Lynch or a total bust. You have to find that out before you move on. Prior to the NFL, the guy literally had no 'injury history'.

This is a great take. And you're welcome :cheers:

Prior to the NFL, the guy literally had no 'injury history'.

Not true: He "literally" did have a lingering knee issue his entire 2017 season in college.

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/lsu-football/derrius-guice-comments-on-injuries-his-future-and-the-nfl-draft-in-latest-instagram-post/74005449/

Here's a guy who injured his knee in camp in college, then re-injured it midway through that season but admits he was able to play through the pain most of the time. Then on the very 1st play in the preseason of his rookie year, just 12 months later, he tears his knee. Then he tears the other one in the 1st half of his 1st NFL game the following year. That's 3 years in a row he started a season with an injured knee, John. And yes, he "literally" did have a lingering knee issue his entire 2017 season in college.

As for being the smartest guy in the room, not the case here with Guice. Moving on, or at least being prepared to as soon as it is apparent he cannot contribute, it's what good football teams do. I'm not saying dump him altogether, yet...but they should have prepared to move on last season...not draft a talented RB who was 4 months out from having torn his ACL. Signing AP was a good move, he still has some left in the tank, but AP, Guice, and Chris Thompson to start the season? Poor organizations do that.

The "smartest in the room" comes when I predict a player will be a bust or a good player, like Cole Holcomb. After seeing tape on that kid I was excited because you could tell he had a nose for the football, I was just a little concerned he'd be another Will Compton. Truth be told Hoclomb is much faster and will only get better, and he's already shown glimpses of being a really good ILB/MLB.

I don't think this one was tough, MacLaurin has proven most of us here correct, but none of my non-Redskins fans believed he'd be what we all see. They are seeing it now.

I have been wrong about a number of players too, like Cam Sims...I really thought dude would come in and be a force.

Here's where I think I am smarter than most right now...Haskins is going to be an NFL bust. The best I see from him is what Tampa is getting from Jameis Winston right now. The kid shows great toughness, studies hard, throws a real pretty pass, can rack up some stats, but tries too hard, ends up having blinders on and will throw INT after INT trying to force things. Top it off with poor pocket presence, the same problem that killed RG3's career here, and you've got another young bust on your hands. And everyone on this board was laughing at the Giants for taking Jones.

To be honest, I am surprised I seem to be the only one who sees it...reminiscent of another call I made that seems like a lifetime ago. I see history repeating itself. Time will tell. On this...I think I'm smarter than you.

You can throw Chris Thompson in the box as well.

This guy in very limited time is hurt yet again.

Dependence on guys that can't show up consistently is a big factor here because we refuse to move on from them.

At 29 Thompson is a free agent in 2020.

Let's get Smallwood out there in the third down role and see what we have.

BurnersBurning.php.png

Greetings from BBQ to everyone here at BGO. We hope your week is going well. Hello to everyone on social media. We'd love to have you as a member here and become a part of the family.

The Redskins are continuing to look at a 2019 season that is nothing short of a disaster. There will be a new head coach this winter. Assistant coaches are barely hanging on and if the NFL draft was held today, the Burgundy and Gold would have the third overall pick in 2020. The struggling displays this season have fans fuming and calling for the heads of the team president, defensive coordinator, and the owner. Today we assign grades for the 49ers game and make a prediction for the Vikings game. We also include what the Redskins should do in the 2020 free agency market. Also, we have a 2020 mock draft and it includes one trade.

BBQ would love to see your grades and evaluations each week if you are so inclined to do so. Too, your predictions for the next game are always appreciated. Give us your thoughts on 2020 free agency. And, if you're wanting to do more, feel free to put up 2020 a mock draft. There are no restrictions here. Go for it!

Upcoming Dates:
- Days until the Vikings game: 2
- Days until Halloween: 9
- Days until the bye: 19
- Days until Thanksgiving: 37
- Days until the Eagles game: 54
- Days until the Giants game: 61
- Days until Christmas: 64
- Days until the Cowboys game: 68

Week Seven: Grades and Evaluations
Offense:
Outside of an opening drive that featured some impressive runs from Adrian Peterson, this unit was dead to the world. Case Keenum was a complete and total disaster in the rain. Putting up zero points is not overly surprising against one of the best defenses in the NFL, but there were some pathetic efforts on Sunday. The right side of the offensive line (Brandon Scherff, Morgan Moses) was atrocious. Do you get the feeling that the Vikings are going to steamroll the Redskins on Thursday night?
BBQ Grade: F

Defense:
The defense had a good day and the horrific weather certainly aided their efforts, but the performance was solid. The offense did them no favors as this was a winnable contest - even if it was in deplorable conditions. Troy Apke recorded his first interception, but a bigger body of work is needed to see if this is a positive trend. Ryan Kerrigan had his best game of the season thus far.
BBQ Grade: C+

Special Teams:
Tress Way and Dustin Hopkins struggled in the bad conditions, but that is to be expected.
BBQ Grade: Incomplete

Coaching:
Keeping it close against an undefeated opponent is certainly a plus and the defense deserves 100% of the credit for that performance. The offense was ineffective after the first series and deserves 100% of the blame. The special teams unit will not factor into the grade this week. If there had been any kind of positives from the offense, we would be talking about an upset and not another disappointing result.
BBQ Grade: D

Week Eight Prediction: Redskins at Vikings
The defense played well against the 49ers, but the weather conditions will not be a factor on Thursday night. The offense is likely to struggle and this could get ugly in a quick way. Prime time is not friendly to the Redskins.
Redskins vs. Vikings: U.S. Bank Stadium – Minneapolis, MN, Thursday 8:20pm EDT
Television: FOX, Amazon, NFL Network
BBQ Prediction: Vikings 38 Redskins 6
Current BBQ Record: 7-0

Redskins Free Agency 2020
The Redskins are projected to have substantial cap space for 2020. A new CBA could push the total much higher. This may. Generous cap space and so much more to be gained should be taken advantage of during this upcoming off-season. Here is what BBQ projects:
1. Release or trade Josh Norman - $12.5M additional cap space gained.
2. Release or trade Trent Williams - $12.75M additional cap space gained.
3. Release or trade Ryan Kerrigan - $11.75M additional cap space gained.
4. Release Jordan Reed - $8.5M additional cap space gained.
5. Release or trade Adrian Peterson - $2.25M additional cap space gained.
6. Re-sign Brandon Scherff.
7. Sign CB Byron Jones of the Cowboys.
8. Sign TE Hunter Henry of the Chargers.
9. Sign Edge Yannick Ngakoue of the Jaguars.
10. Sign WR Robby Anderson of the Jets.
12. Sign RT Jack Conklin of the Titans to a modest contract.

In-Season Mock Draft
The Redskins trade a down few positions in the first round and gain the following: A second rounder. A third rounder. A sixth rounder. A 2021 second rounder. A 2022 second rounder.
Round One: Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia
Round Two: Brycen Hopkins, TE, Purdue
Round Three: Alaric Jackson, OT, Iowa
Round Four: Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia
Round Four (Comp): Tipa Galea'i, OLB, Utah St.
Round Five: A.J. Dillion, RB, Boston College
Round Six: Colton McKivitz, OT, West Virginia
Round Seven: Naquan Jones, DT, Michigan St.
Round Seven: Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR, Liberty

Unless Bruce leaves I don't see a deal getting done with Scherff.

Bruce is willing to go out and pay other teams players big dollars in Josh Norman and Alex Smith but when it comes to the homegrown he expects a big hometown discount.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.