• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Official Game Thread: Week 1 2019 - Redskins at Eagles

Will the Redskins Prevail in Philadelphia?

• Yes. Glory, glory Hallelujah!

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No. Brace yourself. 2019 will be a rocky ride.

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
It's almost here - real football. After a solid NFL draft and free agency showing, the Redskins open up the 2019 season with a series of tough matchups, beginning on the road against the Philadelphia Eagles. The Eagles finished strong in 2018, going 9-6, sneaking into the playoffs and eking out a 1 point Wildcard win against the Bears before succumbing to the Saints in the Divisional Playoff round.

Listen to the NFL pundits and the Redskins are destined to be NFC bottom feeders in 2019 with the Eagles and/or the Cowboys rolling through the division.

But the Eagles, while talented, were anything but dominant in 2018. Call it a post-Super Bowl slump, but the Eagles were not only swept by good teams like the Cowboys and Saints, they were beaten by losing teams including the Titans, Bucs, and Panthers.

There's no question. At home, with Carson Wentz under center, healthy - the Eagles should clean the Redskins clock. But the Redskins have one thing going for them. Like Al Pacino, aka 'Satan' in 'The Devil's Advocate', no one will see them coming. Coaching pep talks aside, the Eagles are bound to take the Redskins lightly. And over the years, the Redskins have won as often as they've lost in Philadelphia, especially when they were heavily favored to lose.

What will our B&G do Sunday afternoon on September 8th?

I guess we'll all find out together.

If you have thoughts - before, during, and after the game - this is exactly the place to put them :)

Game Preview: Week 1 - Redskins at Eagles

Last edited:
The Eagles are currently 8 1/2 point favorites.

DeSean Jackson is an Eagle once again.

I believe our defense will be solid but can a Case Keenum team beat the Eagles on the road?

If we finish within 10 points of them in the end, I will be truly amazed.

What my heart says: 21-20 Skins
What my brain says: 27-9 Eagles

I'm predicting 20-13 Eagles. Redskins OLine is weak and can't generate much offense. DLine keeps the Redskins in the game until a the Redskins OLine commits an egregious error that results in a turnover in Redskins territory. Eagles capitalize.

Well, after sacking Wentz 5 times, and receiving 3 turnovers, I predict victory formation to end the game.

Redskins 24
Eagles 16

Anyone just wondering when Gruden would go Full-Gruden in this game?

Entering the 4th quarter and the skins have attempted a whopping 12 rushes, sounds like Jay is most certainly calling plays. Not sure why i was expecting anything different.

Any games the skins win this season will be in spite of that mfr

Normal Gruden second half...... no adjustments. Wash rinse repeat .....

I'm almost to the point of turning the game off. You lose one defensive player, and you fall apart ? There's tons of talent on this team, we just lack in coaching. AP inactive.... BRILLIANT !

Woke up and switched on Game Centre, only to find we were 20-14 up, but DeSean Jackson had just scored a TD, and the resultant XP put them 21-20 up. The start of the 4th quarter saw Jeffrey score, and with the successful 2-point conversion saw them lead 29-20.

So, in the space of a couple minutes, we lost the lead and then trailed by two scores. I went back to bed!

Was in chat..computer hated it so much it froze. By the time I was only one in chat by the time I got back.

I thought the defense was supposed to be the strength of this team. Giving up 32 points isn't a very strong performance.

Woke up and switched on Game Centre, only to find we were 20-14 up, but DeSean Jackson had just scored a TD, and the resultant XP put them 21-20 up. The start of the 4th quarter saw Jeffrey score, and with the successful 2-point conversion saw them lead 29-20.

So, in the space of a couple minutes, we lost the lead and then trailed by two scores. I went back to bed!

Then this loss is on you Aussie!

Seriously though does Jay just turn on cartoons for the team so he can play candycrush at halftime? The fact he hates to commit to a run game is headbutting a rhino level maddening.

The press better ask him about that shit at least 10 times at the post game presser

At the end of the day, this season will be all about watching the development of some of the younger players on this team, and seeing where they are and how they improve by November/December. There were definite reasons to be intrigued by the likes of McLaurin and Holcomb, who I thought had nice debuts today.

We are simply going to have to throw the record out the window, be patient, and find enjoyment in hopefully seeing some of the young guys grow.

Players change, coaches change but the on field product never does.

Welcome to another season of Redskins football.

278 yds in the first half, basically zippo the second half, highlights the hallmark of Jay Gruden's head coaching career....no adjustments.

Guice looked pedestrian.

Trey Quinn was a no show.

And the "special" defense did it's normal disappearing act with little to any pressure on the opposing QB.

Suckered me in and pulled the ball away once again..... *sigh*

There is still one thing that bugs me about Gruden. He still coaches to not lose. I was excited as can be when they jumped out to the 17-0 lead. They had the Eagles reeling. The Eagles get their first TD to Jackson. The Redskins have 4th and less than 1 in their own territory and they punt. Yes, there was the attempt to try and draw the Eagles offsides, but no one bought it. They punt when they could regain control of the game. They end up holding the Eagles and getting a FG before half. Punting in that situation is not the wrong call, but it's the safe call. It's the by the book call. It's the call you make if you want to play it right.

The Eagles had the exact same call to make coming out of the 2nd half. 4th and 1 in their own territory. They go for it and drive down for a TD. That drive changed the entire game. It flipped everything over to the Eagles and they never looked back. That's where coaching can make a difference.

Well I'm going to chime in on the positive side...

Yes we lost, but then we were never supposed to win. The Eagles are a team that some are picking for the Superbowl this year, whereas we are supposed to be in the bottom 3 or 4 of the league.

What this game showed is that I don't think we're bottom 3 or 4. If nothing else, I'm hoping this game will show some of those that picked us to go 2-14 or 3-13 that we're not in that category.

I would like to have seen more from our D, I'm concerned about Allen. But to be fair, the Eagles O-Line is widely touted to be one of the best in the game and their Offence is loaded. I'm not giving up on this D yet, in the first half it showed that it could really press it's will on a game, I simply think that in the second half when our T.O.P was horribly in the Eagles favour, they simply got tired down the stretch.

Our Offense actually performed better than expected. How many people predicted that we'd score 27? The run game was always going to struggle against that Eagles D-Line, so I'm not worred too much about Guice as yet. Lets give it a few weeks before the alarm bells sound. I'm encouraged by Keenum and our WR's though. McLaurin looks like the real deal, Quinn showed some flashes, and CT looked to be back on that last drive. We showed that we CAN be explosive and that Keenum CAN protect the ball. So that's encouraging.

All in all, though I'm a bit deflated (that first half had me dreaming big!) this game was pretty much everything I expected it to be. *shrugs*

Well I'm going to chime in on the positive side...

Yes we lost, but then we were never supposed to win. The Eagles are a team that some are picking for the Superbowl this year, whereas we are supposed to be in the bottom 3 or 4 of the league.

What this game showed is that I don't think we're bottom 3 or 4. If nothing else, I'm hoping this game will show some of those that picked us to go 2-14 or 3-13 that we're not in that category.

I would like to have seen more from our D, I'm concerned about Allen. But to be fair, the Eagles O-Line is widely touted to be one of the best in the game and their Offence is loaded. I'm not giving up on this D yet, in the first half it showed that it could really press it's will on a game, I simply think that in the second half when our T.O.P was horribly in the Eagles favour, they simply got tired down the stretch.

Our Offense actually performed better than expected. How many people predicted that we'd score 27? The run game was always going to struggle against that Eagles D-Line, so I'm not worred too much about Guice as yet. Lets give it a few weeks before the alarm bells sound. I'm encouraged by Keenum and our WR's though. McLaurin looks like the real deal, Quinn showed some flashes, and CT looked to be back on that last drive. We showed that we CAN be explosive and that Keenum CAN protect the ball. So that's encouraging.

All in all, though I'm a bit deflated (that first half had me dreaming big!) this game was pretty much everything I expected it to be. *shrugs*
I couldn't put it better...but there are times when i wish they would not meet my expectations [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.