• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 8/27/19: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
sownewsletter.png

August 27, 2019

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On if there is an update on CB Fabian Moreau:
"Yeah, we got good news. [He's] not going to be surgical, no surgical repair needed. So now it'll just be the healing process. We're hoping to get him ready for Philly."

On when he will announce the starter at left guard:
"Yeah right now on the depth chart, Ereck Flowers is the left guard. Wes Martin is going to get a lot of reps in the game coming up and he's doing a good job. He's learning the offense and coming out as a rookie has done a lot of good things. We have some other guys competing as well but right now that's where we are going."

On if there is a chance Moreau will play against Philadelphia in Week 1:
"Yeah, for sure."

On WR Josh Doctson:
"He probably won't play this week."

On if Doctson will definitely make the team:
"It means he won't play this week. We'll see what happens. I'm not going to say anybody is making it or not, making it right now. We still have another game to play and evaluations to make."

On what he wants to see out of QB Dwayne Haskins Jr. in the final preseason game:
"Yeah for sure, I think every rep is a necessary rep for him and he's doing a good job continuing to grow but just getting in the huddle, communicating the offense in the huddle, snap count, all that stuff is very important for a quarterback. Not just worrying about what you have to do, but you also have to relay the message to 10 other guys in a positive way, so he's getting better at that. The more he sees, even in the running game, even if he goes in the game and hands it off 10 straight plays, just to handle the footwork and the run-checks that we have is going to be very important for him to see. Then hopefully when he goes back to pass, he goes continues with his progressions and makes accurate throws. I love his progression. I love where he is at, but I think this is a great opportunity for him to get some more meaningful game reps."

On what he wants to see out of WR Robert Davis in the final preseason game:
"Same. Everything, just continue to get better. He's got to just continue to prove that he can play game-in and game-out. That injury he had was a serious one and I applaud the way he's come back from that thing and worked his tail off to get ready. Now we just have to see him put another game together on the field with some speed, some toughness, special teams, all that, very important for him."

On WR Steven Sims Jr.:
"I think when you watch Steven out here in practice and some of the games, I think when he has to ball in his hands, he's a very exciting player, electric. He's got the speed and quickness to separate and with him as well, coming in here a rookie free agent from Kansas coming in here and learning this offense, he's still got a ways to go as far as getting himself ready to play. But we love the prospect of him with the ball in his hands."

On if he will look to feature Sims Jr. more in the final preseason game:
"I think so, I think all these guys that are playing are playing for a reason. We need to see more from them. They wouldn't be here if we didn't think they had a legitimate chance to make this football team. Whatever position you are, if you're out there playing and I know Baltimore has great depth and they're going to come and they have a heck of a football team. They're past their first group, so it's going to be a great challenge for them to show that they can compete with these guys."

On balancing keeping players that can help the team win now as oppose to keeping guys who still need to develop:
"I think there's a fine line. I mean, now is obviously critical. We've got to put our best team, best 46 guys to beat Philadelphia, period. That's what we are trying to do. But if its close between a guy and the future looks very bright for a young player then sometimes you air on the side of the youth. We'll have to make that determination. We're never going to cut a guy that's a better player than a young guy with potential. Potential gets you cut. It gets you beat. So we've got to play guys that are good now, that perform well consistently and make that determination in-house."

On if there is an update on TE Jordan Reed:
"I haven't heard. Next time I hear is when he'll get back to meetings and all that stuff. But right now, he's still working through it.”

On if he has a ratio of players that are over 30 years old compared to those under 30 years old that he looks to maintain:
"No. Never heard of that. I like to play the best guy, keep the best guys."

Wonder if they're holding out Doctson because there's a pending trade? Ham sammich on whole wheat oughta do it, or a 6th whatevs

I don't see how Flowers won the LG job.

He took reps at tackle throughout the offseason and then when moved back inside looked mediocre at LG with penalties and missed assignments.

Flowers has no experience at LG and at his size by all accounts plays high at 6'6.

Meanwhile, we drafted a guy in Martin that has 50 starts at OG in college and has better technique at this point. He's one of the strongest guys on the team.

Seems to me the only thing Flowers has going for him is a $4M contract for 2019.

Flowers cost us a TD and mostly allowed the QB to get pummeled last week alone. I don't get it either. I'm clinging to the ‘right now' part of that statement and hoping they either know Trent is coming back next week (my prediction) or if Martin looks solid last night, will bump him up into the starting slot.

If there's a God...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, this staff seems to have their favorites and what stands out is they are often players that don't significantly add to the play on the field.

Perine and Marshall have been among these players the past couple of years along with Shawn Lauvao.

Now Lauvao is gone but the team replaces him with a guy that over 16 games may rate even LOWER at the position.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.