• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 8/26/19: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
sownewsletter.png

August 26, 2019

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On if there are specific position groups that he will be focusing on in the fourth preseason game:
“No, I think every position group has something there we have to look at. Verifying guys who we think might make it and then there's legitimate competition for others and special teams will make a major part of that as well. Safety, corner, receiver, and then offensive, defensive line you're always looking and not only that, but for practice squad possibilities as well.”

On if the starters not playing will impact how much playing time QB Dwayne Haskins Jr gets:
“No, no. I think our linemen that are playing in the game are quite capable of protecting him and opening up some lanes for the running game.”

On if Haskins will start on Thursday:
“Yeah.”

On what spots he will be focusing on in the fourth preseason game:
“I think they all are difficult. These guys have been here working their tail off. So, when you're talking about cutting players, it's difficult. So, every position has a variety of different areas we have to look at. And like I said before, special teams plays a part of that and that can have an impact based on how many backs you keep and how many receivers you keep. Can those receivers be a flyer? How about those corners? I mean all of that stuff. So, definitely going to have to take a look at special teams first when it comes to this last preseason game.”

On how much flexibility he will have at certain positions when evaluating the roster and making cuts:
“Yeah, for sure. You have to look at the numbers. The numbers are always the biggest issue. Do you keep five or six receivers? Three or four backs? Three or four tight ends? Nine or 10 linemen? Eight linemen? Six defensive linemen or five? Five inside backers or four? Outside backers, four or five? Safeties, four or five? Corners, six or five? So, all those things will play a part in who we keep at what position.”

On if he has already started looking at making cuts or if he is just going to let it play out with the final preseason game:
“Yeah, you've got to let it all play out first. You've got to let it all play out first. Find out who is healthy and then number two, we come up and have group decision and talk about the guys we definitely want to keep and then talk about the fringe guys and what strengths they can give this football team and how we can make it all work.”

On if he is comfortable with the other tight ends on the roster playing in the regular season if TE Jordan Reed is unavailable:
“Yeah, we have to without a doubt. J.P. [Holtz]'s done a good job, he's very versatile in what he can do. [Matt] Flannigan has been a good tight end for us, he's emerging and getting stronger, and stronger. But you still have ‘Sprink's' [Jeremy Sprinkle] experience and Vernon Davis which is good. But we're quite confident that Jordan will be fine.”

On if there is an update on CB Danny Johnson:
“Yeah, you can't really evaluate him. You have to wait for number one; you have to find out when he's going to be healthy. That's the first boxed checked, is he healthy? If not, it's an easy decision. If he is, then we have to talk about what we are going to do with him.”

On the status of the left tackle competition:
“Well right now, Donald Penn is probably our starting left tackle right now. [Geron] Christian is very good because he's a versatile guy who can play left and right, you have [Ereck] Flowers who can play a little bit of left as well. Timon Parris has played right tackle; he's done some good things. We have some versatility there.”

On Penn's progress during the preseason:
“Yeah, he's an older guy, but his legs are starting to get under him right now. He's in decent shape for an old ugly body guy. But he's done a pretty good job. He's seen a lot of football, played a lot of football; he knows how to set on these guys. He's not quite where he was when he was 22 years old, but he's still a very functional left tackle in the NFL.”

On RB Bryce Love's status and if he will impact their decision with the running backs that make the roster:
“It doesn't affect us at all. I don't think that can affect ya. He'll be on PUP for sure and then we'll see how far along he gets. Then when he can come out in actual practice if there's even a thought of bringing him in this year. Very possible it could be a redshirt year for him.”

On if RB Adrian Peterson got a veteran off-day today:
“Yeah.”

On how CB Jimmy Moreland has adapted to the slot cornerback role and if his size will be an issue going forward into the regular season:
“Yeah, I think probably, but he can also play outside. He's proven he can play outside too. He's a good football player. You can talk about his size all you want to, but at the end of the day he's proven to be one of our most physical defensive backs. He plays the run very well. Very good tackler, very physical tacklers, forced two fumbles already. We've just got to get him the reps. He's young.”

On what he is looking for from the nickel cornerback positon:
“We'll continue to work them. We'll play the one that gives us the best chance.”

On what he saw from WR Cam Sims in the preseason game against Atlanta:
“Yeah, I think he played to his size. He's a physical player. He won on a bump-and-run slant which was very good. He's been winning on routes down the field and he's good in the running game. So, I think he's proven great versatility for us. He's got speed to get you deep and he can be physical to run the rough in-breaking routes that you're looking for when you're looking for that size of a player. He's just got to continue to get the reps. He didn't get much last year; he got hurt early and this year, he's been through OTAs and training camp now and you can see him getting better and better. He's still a working progress, but I like where he's headed.”

On if he still feels that T Trent Williams will not be traded:
“Yes, I still feel that way. Very strongly, yes.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.