• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Sonny Jurgensen Retires

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
August 8, 2019

STATEMENT BY SONNY JURGENSEN ON RETIREMENT:

"I've decided to hang up my headphones and my clipboard. It's been a great 55 years in Washington. I want to thank our Redskin fans for being so generous to me and our teams, we owe it all to you. I've had so many wonderful memories of thousands of teammates I've played with and talked about during my years in radio and television in Washington D.C. The relationships with coaches and executives over the 50 years like Bill McPeak, Otto Graham, Edward Bennett Williams, Vince Lombardi, Jack Kent Cooke, Joe Gibbs, Bobby Beathard, Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder have been special. My special broadcast partners such as Sam Huff and Frank Herzog and later with Larry Michael, Chris Cooley and Doc Walker on radio and the great TV talents such as Glenn Brenner and George Michael. We lived through the glory years together -- the NFC East championships and five Super Bowls, all great memories. And I would be remiss if I failed to mention my good friend Andy Ockershausen who was responsible for bringing together the original broadcast team of Sonny, Sam and Frank. After 62 years in professional football, I still have my health and wonderful family with a special thanks to my beautiful wife Margo for letting me work the weekends for all those years. I'll always be a fan of professional football and appreciative of all that it has done for me, my family and our city. I'll leave you with these word, Hail to the Redskins!"

-REDSKINS-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll always remember hearing Sonny breakdown the defense from the radio booth. People fawn over a guy like Tony Romo who does that on TV. Sonny was doing that 30 years before Romo on the radio. I'm glad he's moving on though. I listed to a few games the past few years and it was painful listening to him. I didn't want to remember that version of Sonny. So I'm glad he is hanging it up before it got even worse. He deserved to go out on his terms and it sounds like he did.

When Sonny and Sam were both sharp, they were one of the best game time team out there. It was painful to watch he and Sam stay in the booth a little too long.

Wow. As Diesel said, the end of an era - and another link to the glorious dynasty years is gone...

perhaps the last link folks.

I wonder if Sonny is going to remain in the area in his retirement?

I've told this story before so forgive me...

Eric Leichter (Blade on ES) and I roadtripped to the HOF game in Canton when Joe Gibbs got inducted. We were milling around outside before the game and we see Sonny come out of a media trailer. He's got a big ass stogie in his mouth and as usual, a big grin on his face. He sees us and recognizes we're Skins fans. I raise my camera and he shouts loudly at me ...

'You can take my picture, but I ain't signing shit!!!'

I hollered back 'That only makes me love you MORE!!!'

He liked that :)

Past time. Maybe way past time. He was great in his day with Sam and Frank, but it was painful listening to him on the radio these last few years. That spoof that one radio station did a few years back of Larry Michael was spot on, where Larry would ask, "What do they do Sonny?" and Sonny would say "Run the ball" over and over again was pretty spot on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.