• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 8/6/19: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
sownewsletter.png

August 6, 2019

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On the quarterback rotation for the first preseason game at Cleveland:
"Yeah we're going to let everybody know here after practice today. I'll make sure everybody comes out of this thing clean and then we'll go from there with every position."

On QB Colt McCoy's limited reps yesterday and his participation in today's practice:
"He's fine. He will participate."

On how many quarterbacks will play Thursday:
"We'll play at least three."

On his expectations for QB Dwayne Haskins in the first preseason game:
"We'll see how he does in a game. It will be kind of cool to see him in a game. We'll see how he does. We'll see how he's taken what he's done on the practice field to see how it transitions into a real game situation. And how he handles the huddles and cadence, anticipation, accuracy – all that good stuff."

On if he thinks Haskins is ready for game action:
"Got to play sometime there, so now is as good a time as any. We'll see how he does"

On how WR T.J. Rahming will make the final roster:
“Yeah, I think these preseason games are very important for a guy like that. I think he's shown flashes of being a really, really good slot receiver. He has excellent hands. He was very, very productive at Duke. He knows how to run routes, set up guys. We'll see how he shows up in a game.”

On RB Derrius Guice's first game action since last preseason:
"I think he's preparing himself, whether he plays in this game or not will still be determined. We could wait another week or two for him but he's ready to go. He's explosive, done some really good things so far and I think we still could be a little bit more patient with him but he looks great right now."

On who makes the decision for Guice to play:
"It will be our decision."

On QB Colt McCoy's performance:
"He's been good. He's been up and down a little bit. You know, I think we have such high expectations for him, and sometimes he'll miss a throw, very uncharacteristic. But, I think overall, I think, you know, after missing all of OTAs and a major part of last year, I think he's come in and handled his stuff pretty well."

On the competition for slot cornerback:
"Yeah, right now if we started it'd probably be Fabian [Moreau], but still Jimmy [Moreland]'s done some great things in there. Of course, we got [Greg] Stroman who can still play in there. So, there is competition in there for sure."

On injured players such as CB Greg Stroman, RB Adrian Peterson and LB Montez Sweat:
"Yeah, same. They probably won't do much today.”

On if the injured players will travel to Cleveland:
"I don't know yet. I haven't decided that yet. We haven't decided that yet."

On his plan for the last practice before a game:
"Well today we're going to do some substitutions, try to make it similar to game day as possible, get everybody on the sideline just working on our substitutions so everybody knows they're ready to go in. Especially on special teams when you start pulling guys out of the game sometimes it's hard to find a guy to fill in as the flier or whatever it is. We've just got to make sure we communicate properly. It's the toughest four game stretch for special teams coaches of the year. Trying to get the guys together, get 11 guys on the field, everybody in the right spot so mainly that's for them today. But also substitution on offense, defense, and try to get some guys who are going to be late in the game – get some two minute work, maybe they haven't gotten as much of it, so got to get them some quality work."

On he thinks veterans like T Donald Penn should approach training camp:
"Yeah, I think he's a veteran, yes, but I still think he needs to play a lot. He played a little bit early for the Raiders last year. But just getting back into the groove. You've got to get back into football shape, work on his pass sets going back to left tackle, getting used to out terminology, cadence, all that. I think this will be a good game for him to just get back into the flow and get used to the way we talk [about] things, listen to our language and go from there. So far he's progressed along pretty good."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay Gruden re Colt McCoy 'You know we have such high expectations for him' :laugh:

Ole Jay will never change.

If it were up to him Colt would be the starting QB for a decade, Ryan Grant would be one of the starting wide receivers and Samaje Perine would be the lead back.

Of course I wouldn't want to bet on how many games the team wins.

McCoy and Keenum are nothing more than a bridge to Haskins or God forbid someone else if Dwayne fails to advance himself.

At 32, McCoy isn't going to take the NFL by storm.

Sorry to have to rain on Jay's parade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.