• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 8/5/19: Keenum, Haskins

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
sownewsletter.png

August 5, 2019
QB Case Keenum

On his comfort level with the offense right now:
"You know, I feel good, I feel good about where I'm at. Not good enough though, I guess you could say. You know, there's still a drive. I know I can get more out of myself, I really do. It's tough in practices; you know, you try to get the move the ball periods, two-minute drives, you try to get into rhythm, but I'm learning. I'm learning so much, man. I mean, everyday I come out of meetings and we have so much knowledge in that room with all those guys. You know, my notebooks are getting filled up. Out here everyday it's – something new comes up, you learn a new situation, you see a play a different way and missed some that I definitely want back, but they're great learning experiences. Any time you can have it out here instead of, you know, Week 1, 2 all the way to 16, 17, it's a growing experience and I think I'm growing, I think the offense is growing, and I like more where I'm headed, I would say, more than where I'm at."

On if it's a challenge getting limited reps during a quarterback competition:
"I don't know if I look at it that way. I've competed in this league for a long time. I've had to share reps everywhere I go. Do I want them all? Yeah. I want to take all the reps. I know I have to stand behind and I've got to pretend that I'm in the rep. I've been at places where I was competing for the back-up and I traded days. I had a day off and then I got the back up reps the next day and I didn't like that at all, so the fact that everyday we are getting out there and competing and getting reps, not just mental reps where I'm watching, but actually in it too. It's been good."

On balancing cooperation with competition among the quarterback position group:
"It's part of the business. I think we have some pride as a position group together. I think that when we as a group are better, the whole team is better. We push each other and we push ourselves. We all want each other to do well because that reflects better as an offense and that reflects better for our coach – [quarterback] coach [Tim] Rattay, [offensive coordinator] Kevin [O'Connell], all those guys. So I think we all want to play well and we all want each other to play well at the same time.”

On if there are differences between this quarterback battle and others he has had:
"Uh huh."

On those differences:
"You know it's always different. There's a lot of different situations that can come up. Being in L.A., when Jared [Goff] was drafted number one overall, similar type deal. But that was a whole new offense we were putting in, at that point, had a new coordinator. With me, Dwayne, Josh and Tim, we're the new guys in the quarterback room, we haven't been here for five years like Colt has, or Jay or the offense has been. At the same time, the offense has kind of evolved in different way too. There are thousands of variables in there that make it different.”

On if training camp is long enough to develop the kind of chemistry you need heading into the regular season:
It's different, man. It's different everywhere. I think there are certain guys that I look out there and I just know how they move. I can read their body language and it just clicks. Some guys it takes work. But those guys that take a lot of work, that's been some of the best receivers I've ever played with and the connection we had was great. For example in Minnesota, I didn't get any of the first team reps until Week 2, and I was starting the rest of the year, and we got it going pretty quick. There were certain guys that it clicked instantly and then there were certain guys it took a while for them to get going too, so it's different every time. But there are priceless reps going on right now. The mistakes we make out there, we learn from those, we grow from those, we sit there and talk to our coaches, we talk to the receiver about it, we talk to the line about protections and then we get to go walk through it afterwards. So, the fact that we're getting all these reps now at training camp and learning through these things is priceless. I think the chemistry is definitely building. I think that's what training camp is for.

On route-runners he's clicked with faster than others:
"It's different for different guys and it's different on different routes for different guys – certain schemes, certain plays and it's nice that there's players like Jordan Reed and Trey [Quinn], Josh [Doctson] that have been in this offense and know what it's like. So to go talk to those guys like, 'OK how did you see this so I can see it like you see it so that I can be ready to throw when you put your foot in the ground and go, or when I see you drop your weight here, I know I can put it to this spot because that's where you're going to be.' The timing and rhythm of that stuff with all of those guys and it's been so good, it's hard for me to list one or two guys, but I think the receiver room is competing their butts off. They're playing so well. The tight end room is special. Running backs have done a great job catching the ball out of the backfield. All of those guys have been doing really well and I think protection-wise where we're getting to with the offensive line, I think that's coming along really nicely."

On if the different combinations of players he practices with is challenging his progress:
"That's somewhat of a challenge, but I've also been a part of teams where at the end of the season, Week 13-14, you look out in the huddle and it's five new faces. It's guys that maybe were here in training camp with you and went to another team and came back, it's all over the place. You never know who's going to be somebody that's going to contribute and be a big part of it. That's why every rep, no matter who it is, we're competing and getting better and trying to learn each other and trying to coach everybody up with whatever group you're going with."

On the tackle play from Donald Penn and Geron Christian Sr.:
"They've done well. I actually knew Donald from before out in L.A. and have watched him play a lot of football. It's always nice to have a veteran guy playing that backside there who knows the game and knows what it takes to get ready. Both of those guys are going to be great additions."

On if he knows his spot in the quarterback depth chart:
"I don't know. I didn't know; somebody just asked me the question – a reporter just asked me the question and I didn't know where I was on that. I don't, you know right now it's whoever's in the game at whatever point. We're all getting the reps and we're all behind them working on it. For me, yeah like you said, right now it's definitely not the most important thing."

On connection with C Chase Roullier:
"Yeah the connection is really important, you know Chase obviously was not a part of a lot of the Spring drills so it was really nice for him to come in and you know we got to take our relationship to the next level when I get to actually get to take a snap from him. So, I'm excited about him and just having a veteran guy there who knows the system and the protections and you know makes me right a lot of the times even when I'm wrong. I've got a lot of love for my centers, I think that's a special bond that a lot of people never get to have and he's my guy, man. I like Chase, all those guys that have played center and we've been rotating a bunch of those guys through, so they're all doing a heck of a job."

On the offense's reaction when the defense wins the day:
"I'm always competing. I always want to win. I hate the alternative. It sucks. That's what I do, that's why we go out there. Yeah, like anytime we don't go score a touchdown, I'm pretty mad."

QB Dwayne Haskins Jr.

On what he's learned from the veteran quarterback:
"It's figuring out the small things, the little details of how a corner's looking on a certain coverage, how to read it a certain way versus a certain coverage, just little small things that I wouldn't know. They do a great job with that.

On what he has learned from the veterans from a preparation standpoint:
"I thought I did a pretty good job studying before I got here. The meetings are pretty long every day, so we go through pretty much everything throughout practice; a lot of possible scenarios, every play. It's like nothing we don't go over in meetings. It's a great job getting ready for the next day of practice."

On his role in first preseason game:
"I think we're talking about it tomorrow."

On returning to play in Ohio:
"I mean, I never played in Cleveland, I played in Columbus, but of course all my Ohio State friends are hitting me up about it and stuff like that. I'm excited to be back in the state I went to college at. [I have] a few friends in Cleveland, I'm looking forward to going back and having some fun."

On playing in his first preseason:
"I'm excited, man. It's been a little bit. I haven't played in a game since last year, so the biggest thing is doing the same routine – getting ready for the game, how to study, how to prepare, how to get my body ready and you know, just trying to figure out whatever role I have in that game to do the best of my ability."

On his progression from OTAs to now:
"Just being comfortable, just trying to find consistency. Finding a rhythm is hard when you don't go as often as a one or a two. Just trying to figure out ways to hit a stride and keep getting better. I'm just trying to find every little nuance whether it's throwing extra after practice, staying longer after a meeting or whatever it is necessary for me being ready to play."

On QB Alex Smith:
"Alex is a great guy. Urban [Meyers] told me how knowledgeable he is of the game back when I was in college and he always talks about Alex Smith when he was at Utah. Of course, getting to meet him and getting to ask him questions and whenever I get an opportunity to ask him or whoever else in the room just to figure out how they think about it, how it hits their head and just to see how they picture it. After every play, after every rep if I am standing right next to him just ask him, what he saw, how he saw it and how he would do this and then he gives me an insightful answer."

On situations that he feels he is handling better at this point of camp:
"I think just trying to figure out the whole operation – hearing the play, calling the play, getting to the line of scrimmage, checking protection, checking the run call, getting into the right spot, making the right progression, and then putting the ball where it needs to be. That is just a process of getting reps and getting reps and getting better every day and just trying to make each rep as close to the game as possible just to make it realistic. It's been a lot of fun."

On his rookie skit:
"We sang, ‘If I Ever Fell in Love Again,' and we got boo'd pretty bad. I don't think I want to do that again. We tried our best. It was a group effort. It was me, Kelvin [Harmon], Craig Reynolds, and Bryce Love and it didn't go too great."

On his role in the quarterback room:
"Yeah, I just feel like all the personalities in the room mesh well together. I think Jay [Gruden] does a great job with making everyone feel comfortable. Not once did I ever feel like I was a rookie quarterback that couldn't ask questions or you know feel like I was getting bullied or anything like that. They want me to talk, they want me to answer questions – vets are asking me questions and it's a very open meeting room. It's a great job just to; its plays I don't even get in and they're asking me questions about it and I just think that's a great opportunity for me to make sure I know what I'm doing."

On his approach in the meeting room:
"How I approach it? Certain protections, what call would I make? Or different reads stuff like that –‘Haskins if you were in where would you throw this ball?' Stuff like that. Of course you crack a few jokes so it's a good meeting room."

On signing with Jordan Brand:
"He's the goat. I mean coming out, [Colts S] Malik Hooker; when I was in college he signed with Jordan and we have the same agent. Of course going through the process of picking a brand, I just felt like Jordan was the brand I liked the most as far as off the field, on the field. I feel like they had the best cleats as far as how they look and they are custom so they fit to my feet. They look pretty good so it was an easy choice."

On setting goals:
"I mean, I just control what I can control, never make the same mistake twice, and bring energy to practice. Whether that's with the quarterbacks, receivers, offensive line, running backs, coaches, tight ends, even the defensive players, just trying to figure out a way to bring that extra energy because quarterback goes, then the offense, the whole defense goes, and that's how football works. So, everyday I can't really pinpoint, ‘I want to throw ten passes and complete them or I want to throw three touchdowns.' It doesn't really work like that. Whatever reps I get I make the most of them and just trying to figure out a way to just keep getting better, keep building, because on Thursday I play a lot more than I would in practice, so just trying to figure out how I can be ready for that.”

On his comfort level going under center:
"In high school I was under center, so it's not unfamiliar territory to me. I did a lot in college, shotgun in college, so that's what I have been doing for the last couple of years. I actually think it's easier for me to be under center because it makes me tempo my drop better, makes it easier to time up a route because we're in sync. When you're in shotgun it's all about getting the snap, how do you catch the ball, and how do you identify the safety and it really has to be fast on your feet in shotgun. I like under centers because one, I'm tall and then two, I can just push back for depth to see the field."

On if he feels pressure with this quarterback completion:
"I'm thriving, man. I'm just having fun with it. I mean, I'm not a seven, ten-year vet, so of course those guys have a better understanding of what they're doing. But, I mean, I use that as an advantage because I can ask them, ‘What are you seeing? How would you handle this? And they do a great job helping me, so, I mean, I know that I'm going to play when it happens, I've got to be prepared and ready for it. But, I'm rooting for everybody – rooting for Colt [McCoy], rooting for Case [Keenum], rooting for everyone and want everybody to do well."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McCoy got brushed hard walking past John Keim and is getting treatment. No word on when he'll be ready for interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is baffling as to why this team and it's coach wastes time on Colt McCoy.

It is baffling as to why this team and it's coach wastes time on Colt McCoy.

I believe Colt is to Jay what a blanket is to Linus. No sense in having it but it makes him feel more secure

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.