• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Game Preview: Preseason Week 1 - Redskins at Browns

The Detroit Lions lost three players to potentially serious injuries in the first half of their preseason opener Thursday against the New England Patriots.

Jermaine Kearse, who was vying for the No. 4 receiver job, suffered a gruesome left leg injury on the fifth snap of the game. Trainers put Kearse's leg in an air cast while he lay on the field, and Kearse had to be carted to the locker room.

No one can remember our preseason record from two years ago, and no one will remember these games either.

Just get them some work and get them out healthy.

No one can remember our preseason record from two years ago, and no one will remember these games either.

Not attacking you - just weary of seeing the same year after year. Little more complex than that IMO. Preseason is more than just show up and cash in a check. Presumably the coaching staff has concepts for the season it wants to engrain and the various components have to integrate the parts into a larger whole. Jay Gruden doesn't seem adept at orchestrating/leading that.

It is the first preseason game. I suppose it doesn't matter that the backups looked physically outclassed and the QBs average. Jay can bring it all together in the next two preseason games!

No. The Browns were playing to win. We were playing to evaluate. So losing isn't a big deal. But being physically handled is.

You're right. But everyone here can remember all the slow starts this team suffers through because the starters get no run in the preseason.

Tom Brady attempted 44 passes in two preseason games last year. Alex Smith? 14 for the whole preseason.

I don't want anyone to get hurt either but dammit, players can't get in any kind of a rythmn if they don't play.

Watched the game again this morning on GamePass (now that I'm more awake!) and the things that struck me were:

- Keenum seems to be a competent game manager. I get Alex Smith vibes off him, which isn't a bad thing I guess. If we can repeat last years formula, perhaps we can have a successful season.

- That being said, and with a disclaimer that I know our starters were out... the O-line looks awful. We gotta hope that when the starters are back, and if Penn can fill in suitable for Trent, then we can be competent across the line and stay healthy. Because I don't like where our back-ups are at.

- Jimmy Moreland... roster lock!

- Haskins didn't have the best outing, but there's something about watching him that genuinely excites me. You can see he's not polished, he struggles in some aspects... but there's these glimpses of something that just push a button in me that McCoy and Keenum can't hope to press. I like the arm talent, his legs are better than advertised and he truly seems like a modest kid. As much as I was on the RGIII bandwagon back in the day, I never truly found him very likeable as a person. Always felt to me like there was a fakeness to his sincerity. Haskins just comes across to me as different. I hope I'm right and he stays humble and dedicates himself to learning the craft, especially as he has Smith's brains to pick. As bad as this game was at times for him, I came away pretty pleased with him.

- I want to see our starting D. That first Browns drive was an awful performance from our D... but then again all our starters were sitting.

- Overall I didn't really get a true feeling for where this team is. Too many players didn't pull their helmets on for me to get a good feeling of where we are.

- Lastly... FOOTBALL IS BACK BABY!!!! :D So happy right now!

P.S. I popped into the chat channel to see if anyone was around, but was being bounced in and out due to crappy internet (we were on holiday in the Welsh Valleys!). I saw that Boone popped in and said hi, but I'm sorry I missed you.

This game was almost exactly what I was expecting, down to a t.
Haskins made some great throws and some blatantly rookie gaffes - just as advertised in training camp reviews.
Jimmy Moreland was a ballhawk with great instincts...again, just as advertised.
Perine is as uninspiring as ever.
Geron C and Flowers...hell, the entire OL, were predictably lamentable.
The offense looked unprepared, just like the beginning of every year under Gruden.
Keenum was a solid game manager.

Only surprise for me was Robert Davis may turn out to be a keeper.

Colt McCoy has missed the OTAs and most of camp so Jay's #1 option at quarterback was not available last night.

In that regard, Jay wasn't that worried about the performances of Haskins and some of the younger wide receivers that may not make the team.

Jay has no plans to start Haskins unless the team is 3-9 and out of playoff contention.

If the team is anywhere around .500 McCoy is going to be the starter.

Now, do I believe that all things being equal that Colt McCoy is going to stand up and play 16 games with his injury history?

No.

So, then it will be Keenum by default.

If the wr corp comes down to a spot between Davis or Doctson I'm all for dropping JD like a hot potato.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.