• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 7/30/19: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
sownewsletter.png

July 30th, 2019

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On the performance of the quarterbacks after the last practice:
"They had a good day. All three of them had a good day. Not so great for our defense, but that's the way it works. When our offense struggles it means our defense is playing good and vice versa. All three quarterbacks got into a little bit of rhythm, anticipated some throws, guys got open for them and they made plays. Dwayne did a nice job."

On the improvement of the quarterbacks on Day 4:
"Well we're working a lot of red zone [on] Day 4. We got some good opportunities for them to make some good throws, protection was pretty good. Just a process – got to move onto the next day after today, after Saturday, Sunday whatever it was and today is a new day, new challenges."

On if he senses there is a different vibe around camp this year compared to last season:
"I don't know about that. I think we have great competition. I'm more interested in the competition and the effort of every play and I think we're getting that whether you have music or not. I really don't care. I think guys are honing in on their assignments and continuing to just build on each day and getting better. That's all we can do. We haven't had a whole lot of drama here over the years, in my opinion. There's been a few instances from time-to-time, but it's a good group of guys. They are all diligent and working hard."

On WR Cam Sims learning all three WR positions:
"We got him right now playing one, but I think he can play both outside spots. I wouldn't put him inside right now, but he's doing a great job, he really is. He looks like he's got his legs underneath him. He's making big plays when it presents itself. He's got long arms, physical guy, can block, but he's also showing the ability to get down the field which is a good thing. Having a great camp so far."

On DL Tim Settle's place on the depth chart:
"I think he's going to play a lot. When it's all said and done some of the better defensive line groups have had strong rotations. Some people don't understand that, but at the end of the day if you can mix in Settle and Caleb Brantley to give Jonathan and Payne and (Matt) Ioannidis a break, it's a great thing. Keep those guys fresh, keep them rolling. He's going to play a lot. He's doing a great job. He's gotten so much stronger from the first time I met him to now. He's really put in a lot of work in the weight room with Chad (Englehart, Strength Coach) and Jonathan, Ioannidis, and Payne, you have to follow suit with those three guys or you won't make it very long."

On tight end coach Brian Angelichio:
"It's good to have him. He comes from Green Bay. He's been at Tampa Bay, been a couple of different places. He has a good idea of the running game, how to block tight ends, but also in the passing game obviously. Just a well versed tight end coach. He's been around a couple different schemes, knows technique. He's worked very well with Coach [Bill] Callahan, (Assistant Head Coach and Offensive Line Coach), to try to get it exactly the way Coach Callahan wants it in the run game. He's just been there, done that type of guy and he's a good communicator and the players play for him."

On if he would be open to switching around the practice schedule and implementing night time practice at different locations around Richmond:
"No."

On why he wouldn't change the current set-up:
"It's up to Bruce [Allen] (Team President) and those guys. I would do it, but I kind of like the schedule we have now. It certainly could be done if it presented itself and the field was good, and the lights worked, and we had the buses take us there, and all that. It could be feasible – some teams do that. Talk to Bruce."

On continuing to support WR Josh Doctson after four years:
"Yeah, I think [he] needs to continue to progress like all young football players, just needs to get better and develop. You know, his first year was a wash - he got hurt; he had two bad Achilles. I mean, it's not his fault. It's happened to a lot of guys, you know. Had the quarterback issues last year, but we just got to do a better job of trying to get him some balls, especially those 50-50 balls that I've been talking about. He's got to be a more dominant force in the red zone, which will be huge. But again, when you have Jordan [Reed] and Chris [Thompson], and Terry [McLaurin], or we had [Jamison] Crowder last year, he may not be the first look on all these plays. You know, we got man-to-man matchups, we might like Jordan versus a safety or backer as a first progression, or Crowder versus the nickel in a first progression, or Chris Thompson versus a backer. So, he has very seldom been the number one progression on any of these plays, you know. He's part of the progression, but when you get man-to-man he's usually second or third. And that could change, the more we get him some opportunities, the quarterbacks feel comfortable with him. Case [Keenum] and, obviously, Colt [McCoy], and now Dwayne [Haskins]."

On CB Jimmy Moreland:
"He's done a good job. He's played outside and inside; versatility is huge for the nickel/cornerback position. [Greg] Stroman's doing the same thing, Fabian [Moreau] is doing the same thing, so it's critical for them to learn both. Coming from JMU, he was well coached out there, he plays with great ball skills; we've mentioned that before and seen it already. But he's just got to continue to work and get better, which he is."

On QB Dwayne Haskins' improvements in pre-snap situations:
"It's going to come along. It's got a long way to go. We haven't even presented all the different looks yet. There's a lot of looks he's got to see and adjust to. The biggest thing for him is getting in and out of the huddle, so he has time at the line of scrimmage to adjust things and that's something we have to continue to work and the tempo is critical. There are times when we are taking too long in the huddle and to the line, where we would be stressed out with five, four, three, two, one on the shot clock. I think the tempos got to pick up a little, but that will come with him being able to spit the plays out in the huddle and get to the line and being able to make the necessary changes. He's coming along for just being here for a few short months."

On T Trent Williams:
"No. If there was I'd tell ya. How about that? If I don't tell ya then there isn't."

On if he is concerned about the Williams situation:
"No, I just have to let it play out. I think it's up to Trent and our people here to try and get something done. So I just got to coach the guys that are here, and that's what I'll continue to do. Love the fact that these guys are making progress. We are playing some different people at tackle. We've got [Geron] Christian back at tackle today, which is good. So we'll just keep working, keep grinding on these guys until he gets back here."

On the new ability for a head coach to be able to challenge pass interference penalties:
"Wow that is a good one, we're going to have to have (Senior Assistant) Coach [Matt] Cavanaugh on the box watching very closely just for PIs, ya know and obviously other challenges that already are part of the game so it's going to be a very stressful deal for us. It's got to be obviously blatant for them to overturn a call or put a flag on a field. But, it's something we've got to watch out for, these plays are huge and then you have to decide what play is big enough to challenge where you don't want to waste a challenge, maybe on a 12 yard gain. But if it's a 12 yard gain on 3rd down and 8, maybe you do if it keeps the drive going, it's going to be something we have to discuss, when and how to use them. You also don't want to be stuck with three time outs and three challenge flags at the end of the game and not use them, so it's going to be an interesting dilemma for a lot of coaches – for all coaches."

On OL Geron Christian Sr.:
"He's going to do more today. We're going to put him in team today and see how he does on a limited basis, so he'll get some reps today."

On LB Montez Sweat's physical capabilities:
"Yeah, speed, size, length; we've already talked about that. Now we're just trying to hone in on – if [we're] playing base defense, one of those guys (outside linebackers) sometimes has got to drop into coverage – so we're working on his drops and his aiming points and all that. But from a pass-rush standpoint, obviously he will be a problem for a lot of people; even if he doesn't get home, you'll feel his presence because he's so long and he's always around the quarterback – he can make the quarterback step up into [Daron] Payne and [Jonathan] Allen, hopefully [Matt] Ioannidis and those other guys. So [we have] two great edge setters. Ryan Anderson is doing a much better job in camp; [Marcus] Smith [II] is doing a better job, talked about Cassanova McKinzy – he's doing a good job too. I've got a good group of edge guys."

On C Chase Roullier:
"He'll work today. Limited basis, too. We'll see how he does."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't expect Haskins to start until Week 10 or 11 and then only if the team is out of a playoff spot.

That's really the most reasonable course to take for Haskins and the Redskins.

With Gruden my major concern is that he is expecting Keenum and Haskins to come in and play in an offense Jay brought over from Cincinnati and that offense may not suit the players we have.

This has been an ongoing issue with scheme fit for the players on the roster.

We are paying Josh Norman $15M to be a lockdown cover corner and he has never been that in his career.

With 4.6 speed Carolina had him playing in a zone scheme which suited his ballhawk and anticipation skills and covered for his very average ability down the field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.