• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Starting QB Options in 2019?

Which QB Starts the 2019 Season Under Center?

• Case Keenum is our 2019 starter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Case Keenum starts but is replaced by Haskins

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Case Keenum starts but is replaced by McCoy

• Colt McCoy is our 2019 starter

• Colt McCoy starts but is replaced by Haskins

• Colt McCoy starts but is replaced by Keenum

• Dwayne Haskins is our 2019 starter

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Dwayne Haskins starts but is replaced by McCoy

• Dwayne Haskins starts but is replaced by Keenum

• All 3 QBs get starts in 2019

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Who should start under center for the Burgundy and Gold in Week 1, and who WILL start in Week 1?

Here's my take.

One of the mostly widely repeated and perpetuated myths among NFL fans is that you sit a rookie QB for a year or more behind a seasoned veteran. Nevermind that this almost never occurs :) And nevermind that there are numerous examples of it not occurring and yet rookie QBs playing well, or certainly surviving the experience to become great NFL QBs.

But bring up the topic, and you'll hear either of two examples. The first will be Aaron Rodgers sitting behind Brett Favre. The second will be Patrick Mahomes sitting behind Alex Smith. And those are probably the only examples you'll hear...because... teams that take QBs in the first round almost always start them.

Aaron Rodgers? I don't know if the Packers knew what they had in him early on, or how long it took them to figure it out. But they didn't make him wait in the heir apparent role because it was so gosh darn wise, football smart, and responsible of them to do so.

He sat because they had BRETT FREAKING FAVRE under center :)

And Mahomes? I'm pretty sure the fact that Alex Smith had lead the Chiefs to 4 out of 5 straight seasons of 10 or more wins may have had something to do with Mahomes not immediately getting the starting job. I'm also pretty confident that had Andy Reid decided to go with Mahomes in his rookie year, that he'd have looked just as spectacular then as he did just a year later.

Jay Gruden is a conservative traditional coach. He's going to start the QB who can most efficiently and productively run his offense and who he thinks gives his team the best chance to win. He didn't let Daniel Effing Snyder tell him who his QB was going to be when Robert Griffin was on the roster and he's certainly not going to do it now, particularly when his job is rumored to be on the line.

So who do I think should start, and who do I think will start?

Case Keenum is a classic Jay Gruden QB. He's going to manage the offense. He's going to do what the hell the HC and OC tell him to do. And he can do that well. But over the course of the summer, Jay Gruden's going to see what I've seen... that Haskins has a special arm, poise beyond his years, makes quick decisive decisions, and is a quick study. He's going to see Haskins throw ropes from every spot on the field and from every platform. He's going to see Haskins outperform an 8th year vet. And he'll start Dwayne Haskins in the season opener.

Haskins will start and he'll never look back. Redskins return to glory is happening.

That's just how I see it going. What say you?

Last edited:
I see Keenum starting. His experience is much needed in this offense which lacks leadership and experience in key spots.
I just don't know if we get Viking Keenum or Bronco Keenum.

Starting Haskins too early is risky, because then you're all in, and if he plays bad or you bench him, it's big trouble.
The rookie QB's confidence could be hurt, the team could question the leadership of the coach and the QB, the fans will outcry, the DC area will get ugly.

There's a lot of little nuances of the QB position Haskins has to learn before he's ready.
He's not going to get by, just on arm strength alone. That by itself isn't going to win games, if he is making key rookie mistakes.
Footwork, adjustments, reading different defenses, and so much of this is on a whole other level than what he's used to in college.
Let Haskins take his take his time and learn from the wealth of QB's in the room, from coaches with QB experience, to actual QB's grooming him :
Rattay, McConnell, Cavanaugh, Gruden, Smith, McCoy, Keenum,

Yes, there's a lot of cases of rookies starting away, but a lot of them failed right away.
We can't take that chance. Jay can't take that chance.
Jay is fighting for his job.
And...
We have a playoff roster, so I think you take the safest bet, and start the experienced QB, to give us the best chance of reaching the playoffs.

Play it safe. Don't put him in a position where you could damage the kid's confidence, or damage our chances of being a playoff team this year.

Plus...considering this team has playoff potential ; if we do make it to the playoffs - who would you rather have starting in the playoffs ?
The guy who led his team to a NFCC.

Last edited:
If you heard Jay's presser today after practice....he sounded like a lovesick teenager talking about Haskins....

If you heard Jay's presser today after practice....he sounded like a lovesick teenager talking about Haskins....

He did. And that's because Haskins is a hell of a QB. He's not an unpolished youngster with a big arm. He's talented and a quick study. He's going to be a good one, and it will become apparent sooner rather than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I'd like to see the team to do first is figure out the best financial plan possible for Smith to retire. Dude shattered his leg and then it got infected, time to think about his health and life after football asap.

Second would be to inform Colt we're letting him go as soon as he's medically cleared. Maybe keep him on IR for the season to fatten his bank account before doing so. Dan could find a job for him off the field and still with the team in a sense.

Keenum enters as the starter until Haskins is ready to take it and go. I'm fine with CK taking the whole year to ball the F out while the rookie studies and takes it all in. So unless CK looks like a hot mess and a half, Haskins sits the year as #2 .

What I'd like to see the team to do first is figure out the best financial plan possible for Smith to retire. Dude shattered his leg and then it got infected, time to think about his health and life after football asap.

Second would be to inform Colt we're letting him go as soon as he's medically cleared. Maybe keep him on IR for the season to fatten his bank account before doing so. Dan could find a job for him off the field and still with the team in a sense.

Keenum enters as the starter until Haskins is ready to take it and go. I'm fine with CK taking the whole year to ball the F out while the rookie studies and takes it all in. So unless CK looks like a hot mess and a half, Haskins sits the year as #2 .

I just want them to start the guy who plays better. If that's Keenum than so be it. But I think the talent difference is going to be quickly apparent - and I think Gruden is already seeing it.

I just want them to start the guy who plays better. If that's Keenum than so be it. But I think the talent difference is going to be quickly apparent - and I think Gruden is already seeing it.

No doubt, if CK doesn't come out of the gate firing on all cylinders Haskins should be the starter. Just don't want to see the team force Haskins onto the field only because we used a 1st rounder on him.

I honestly see Jay's playcalling as more of a hindrance than a positive. With the defensive upgrades coupled with a motivated AP/Guice/BigLove our playaction should be disgusting. Jay's throw it 3 times and pray won't do the kid any favors in his progression.

After this recent draft it finally feels like we have some good luck coming our way in stabilizing that side of the ball. Lord knows we're all due for some solid team play that actually lasts a whole season

What would be best for the team would be...……….

Colt Keenum starts, and finishes the season. A winning season.
Haskins has the luxury of having no pressure on him while he learns the ropes from some good veteran QB's.

Next year, Haskins takes command for the next 15yrs, or so.

Of course, Haskins may well prove Boone wise.
Haskins might start from week 1 this year, until his final SB MVP, (4th) in his final season. (20th)
Making THAT, the best thing for the team.

I'm so confused!!!

The poll doesn't even give Josh Woodrum a chance.
Dude was a Hall of Famer in the AAF !

Looking to next year...
What happens if Alex Smith fully recovers, and he's 100% healthy, and he wants to play ?
Can we get something in a trade for him ?

This is exactly right and is the best approach. You play that guy that is better at the start of the season. The reality is, it should be Keenum. He's the veteran that understand the game and should be able to win the job. But if Haskins is already outplaying him during pre-season and by the start of the regular season, you play him. As you mentioned earlier, there is no magic formula that if you sit you get better. And playing won't guarantee you get better either. You have to be ready and if the Redskins want to turn around and become a winning franchise, they will play the best players. If they are more concerned with players feelings and contracts and PR and all the other stuff, they will draw up some ridiculous plan that says player x plays at this point and player y plays at this point. You can't make a plan like that and be successful. You have to play the best player. If it's Keenum, so bet it. If it's Haskins, so be it. Play the players who are the best.

keenum, until we iron out our passpro issues, then bring in haskins

The only pass pro issues we've had are due to 2nd and 3rd stringers replacing starters due to injury. I'm not sure what there is to work out? If anything, pass pro is likely to be better early on rather than later. Stay healthy and pass pro will be fine. And part of pass pro is getting the damn ball out on time and having a viable rushing attack.

And when preseason is over, 50% of fans will say Keenum is playing the best.
And 50% of fans will say Haskins is playing the best.

Maybe so. But Gruden doesn't give a shit what the fans think :)

I think we'll find a lot out in the pre-season games.

That'll be the first time we'll see CK and DH go against competitive NFL teams, so it'll be interesting to see who gets to start against the opposition starters and who gets the 2nd and 3rd stringers.

I'd expect Keenum will start at least a couple of those games against the Starters, but if DH shows some fire then you might see them test him in those last couple of pre-season games against opposition starters.
It'll be an interesting benchmark.

I voted for a Keenum start, replaced by Haskins... But then I think that's what I'd prefer.

My gut feel actually says Haskins starts from day 1, but I'd like to see what he has in pre-season first.

Who should start under center for the Burgundy and Gold in Week 1, and who WILL start in Week 1?

Here's my take.

One of the mostly widely repeated and perpetuated myths among NFL fans is that you sit a rookie QB for a year or more behind a seasoned veteran.....

Lots of other really cool, interesting and sage stuff

Haskins will start and he'll never look back. Redskins return to glory is happening.

That's just how I see it going. What say you?

Pete Hailey over on NBC Sports Washington broke the numbers down for you. :D

Here's what he said:

"23 passers have gone in the top half of the first round of the past 10 NFL drafts, like Haskins did this past April. But when did those franchises first turn to their prized, young prospects?

Here are the key takeaways from looking at that group's experiences and comparing when each got their chance to initially take over under center full-time (for a QB-by-QB breakdown, head to the bottom of the story):

1) If you take every QB's first opportunity to be starter and assign it a number value based on the game in which that opportunity happened (opening day starter equates to 1, someone who began starting in Week 4 equates to 4, etc.) then average those numbers together, you'll get 3.56. That means these 23 guys, on average, took over approximately three or four games in.

2) 12 out of the 23 started right away, while Deshaun Watson and Josh Allen took over midway through the first game. So, basically, 14 out of 23 were at the top of the depth chart from the beginning.

3) Just two out of the 23 — Jake Locker and Patrick Mahomes — waited a full season to assume the starting spot due to Alex Smith and Matt Hasselbeck's performance ahead of them.

So, there are numbers from the last decade that suggest Haskins is going to get his shot and get it very soon. And those numbers, while pretty eye-opening, make sense"

Great stuff Knight - always nice to see the numbers and that validates what we've been saying. That doesn't necessarily mean throwing the youngster in the fire is what should happen. But it does make clear that if he does start immediately, or soon after, we're following the NFL precedent and norm. It's not some dysfunctional outlier of an approach as the cynical DC sports media will spin it.

Great stuff Knight - always nice to see the numbers and that validates what we've been saying. That doesn't necessarily mean throwing the youngster in the fire is what should happen. But it does make clear that if he does start immediately, or soon after, we're following the NFL precedent and norm. It's not some dysfunctional outlier of an approach as the cynical DC sports media will spin it.

I can't take any credit, I just copied and pasted something I was reading at lunchtime that backed up your statement. :D

I surf the web for Redskins news on my lunch hour. LOL

(As an aside... anyone have any good places to go to read news and things? I obviously come here, ESPN, NBC Sports, Bleacher Report... any others people recommend?)

Agreed - if it plays out that he starts right away, or if he sits a few games - it's not some "wild" approach or neccesarily a command from the owner. History shows, it's typical.

This article has some more insight into the draft and what Jay was thinking QB wise:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/05/13/d...mmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.