• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Smart Reasonable Moves

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
The smart moves for the Redskins based on how the board and FA are set up would be to sign Pashos to play RT, draft Okung to play left tackle and then use the #36 pick to see who falls out of the first round in a deep class in 2010.

I don't think it is realistic to expect any of the restricted free agent tackles to really become available on a deal that makes sense and doesn't mortgage the future.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Seems like very little strength for FA tackles; Looks like there are some decent guards out there. I would love LT in the first round and Maurkice Pouncey C Florida 6-5 318 and a guard in FA. That would be a great step forward in improving the line.

I am still thinking we need TWO tackles in the offseason. If Samuels were healthy it might be possible to start Okung for a year at RT to transition him to the NFL. But as it is with no established LT and only Heyer at RT, I would like to see a veteran RT acquired the first week or two of FA to get us started and then look to the draft for LT and then RB/LB/CB in Round 2.

1st off this is my 1st post on BGO so I would just like to say hi. I am hoping for a refreshing change of pace from extremeskins where I get my head taken off every time I post.

Anyway I can’t agree with the smart reasonable move thing enough. I think signing a RT like Pashos and maybe a veteran guard like Amano would be great. Now trading down from the 4th pick in the draft to acquire more picks would be ideal too but i realize that might prove to be very difficult. But if we stay at 4 I would go LT like Okung or Davis. U never know maybe in the 2nd rd a guy like Clausen does slide and we pick him there. Great value if he does. If not then I think trading down from our 2nd rd pick might be the better idea and maybe net the skins their 3rd rounder back.

Either way i think it might be a good idea to stay away from giving monster contracts to Dansby or Peppers or even Casey Hampton and Vince Wilfork if they make it to UFA.

So, since FA tackles appear to be lacking, who's still for drafting a "franchise" QB and letting the O-line stand pat?

You might as well ask if we want to go 4-12 again.

So, since FA tackles appear to be lacking, who's still for drafting a "franchise" QB and letting the O-line stand pat?

I'd just appreciate the FO taking a long term outlook to rebuilding this team. The record NEXT year doesn't matter.

If the FO sees a guy at #4 they deem is a "franchise" guy I'd support it.

Does anyone think a player like Rinehart could excel if he had a stronger supporting cast? If he had a RT next to him who does not get blown up on nearly every play, do you think he could live up to his so-called potential. He showed some signs of progress before he was injured.

Pashos at RT w/ a player like Pouncey who has a lot of potential at center, and Okung at LT could get done. A trade down scenario would even be better so we don't have to waste such a valuable #4 pick on an LT when there are 3 more who are nearly as good as Okung who will go later in the 1st round. Anyway, if you put some of these guys out there for Rinehart to have some significant support , could he be enough?

Last edited:
Isn't the word on Rinehart that he has had "mental" issues that have made it difficult to adjust to the NFL game. Mental isn't the correct word here but I thought there were rumors concerning his maturity and comitment to the game.

If true, I'm not sure a better supporting cast would make any difference. Chad might be a sunk cost..

My opinion:

1. Draft Okung at #4....he is an ideal fit in Shanahan's scheme.
2. Re-sign Levi Jones. At this point, I don't see a better available LT on the FA market and I would prefer having some LT depth for a change. In a pinch Jones could play LT and he could also probably play RT as well.
3. Sign Tony Pashos. He has injury issues but when healthy is a better option than Heyer at RT and this allows development of another tackle for the future (so you could either draft another OT late, sign a UDFA tackle post-draft or see if Will Robinson or one of the other younger tackles could develop into a starting RT.
4. draft a Guard in the 2nd round....depending on who doesn't make the 1st round selections, the Skins should go with the best player available who fits their needs: QB, OT, OG, LB, CB. But I have a good feeling that a guy like Jon Asamoah will be there, or draft Vladimir Ducasse
5. Sign a few UDFA players and have them compete.

Of course this means that a QB would have to be more of a 4th or 5th round pick (I lean towards 5th round b/c I'd like to see either a RB or a corner in the 4th) but this is a pretty weak QB class and I don't think it's worth reaching for a QB when the Skins have other areas of need to address.

I honestly think the pick we trade down from will not be the 4th (it is far too costly to move up to number 4) but will be the 36th pick overall.

Many teams love to get into that sweet spot of the 30s, and there would be a chance to pick drop down in the 2nd and pick up a 3rd and add'l 4th, depending on how far the drop is.

I'd expect to see us have multiple 3rd and 4th round picks

Of course, I still see Bradford as the pick at number 4.

I disagree - I think someone will want to move into #4 to take Bradford (conditionally: he'd have to pass a physical, and throw well at the combine and workouts), and we will move back into the mid 1st round somewhere. I trust Shanahan to draft a stud OT in round 1 - he did so in 2008 with Ryan Clady, one of only 2 probowlers out of 8 selected in the first round of that draft.

The Bradford stuff might be mute...I am reading reports now that the Rams might be interested in taking him at #1. A few weeks ago I honestly considered that a ridiculous notion. Suh appears to be the nearest thing to a sure thing in this draft and the only real #1 talent on the board so I considered it a no brainer.

Apparently it isn't so much of a no brainer though.

I disagree - I think someone will want to move into #4 to take Bradford (conditionally: he'd have to pass a physical, and throw well at the combine and workouts), and we will move back into the mid 1st round somewhere. I trust Shanahan to draft a stud OT in round 1 - he did so in 2008 with Ryan Clady, one of only 2 probowlers out of 8 selected in the first round of that draft.

Who has the ammo and the need to move up to number 4 to get a QB?

The 49ers and Seahawks are pretty much it.

With the Seahawks we move to 6th overall and get another 2nd. We'll see how in love they fall with the QBs. With the 49ers they'd need to trade the 13th and 17th, and possibly toss in another pick. Along with that, they would need to pay the 40 million bonus.

I agree that Shanahan doesn't need a top 5 o-lineman :).

In fact, he can find plenty of terrific o-lineman from rounds 2-7

The Bradford stuff might be mute...I am reading reports now that the Rams might be interested in taking him at #1. A few weeks ago I honestly considered that a ridiculous notion. Suh appears to be the nearest thing to a sure thing in this draft and the only real #1 talent on the board so I considered it a no brainer.

Apparently it isn't so much of a no brainer though.

I think the Rams will acquire Vick and go that route. Of course the new ownership group may be more interested in starting with a QB and going from there

Here are Daniel Jeremiah's from MovetheSticks.com thoughts about what the Skins will do.

RT @Nekrichitron: you think the Skins take an O-lineman in first? > Okung would be nice addition...Shanahan took Clady high and it paid off

Okung isn't as good as Clady but he's solid. If you draft Bradford and put him behind current skins OL... To quote Bruce Smith, "Bad things"

Shanahan inherits a very good defense to work with...I think you will see him devote the draft to offensive side of the ball.. OL priority 1

This quote makes me think it would be wiser to draft Iupati or Pouncey in the first round, and wait til the 2nd to take a tackle:

Great TE year... Poor interior OL group. After Idaho OG and Florida OC, it falls off drastically

More thoughts on Okung:

RT @DerekHarshner: Is Okung really a top 5 caliber player? Everyone keeps predicting KC for him.>> Yes, he has all the tools to be NFL LT

link

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, I think Dez Bryant is going to blow up the combine, and teams may be itching to trade up and draft him. Or, he'll go 1 or 2, and teams will be itching to draft whoever doesn't get picked - Suh or McCoy. I think the Bucs go with Berry at #3, their secondary has been a huge issue.

The Redskins need to solidify both sides of the line, so merely using a #2 pick for OT after taking Bradford would not be enough and that is assuming a #2 is ready to start right away.

No, I think the first move still needs to be one in FA to find a capable RT.

That would allow for greater flexibility in April.

I don't think you can start more than one rookie on the OL and hope to progress in 2010.

When the Redskins started three unproven linemen in 1981 in Jacoby, Grimm and Bostic, that was an anomaly.

Usually it is a recipe for disaster.

As far as Chad Rinehart goes, I don't think you can count on any contribution here. Anything you get is a bonus.

He started as a LT, was moved to the right side and then got posted to guard.

All in two years.

That's a pretty good sign he has failed to make the grade and the organization simply made a mistake in the draft.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.