• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Theismann,Haskins and #7

Should Haskins get #7?

• Yes,it's not retired

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No,he's not worthy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes,with Joe's permission

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The team should decide and not put Joe in this spot.

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DieselPwr44

The Owner's Favorite
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Haskins wore #7 in college and had the correct response when asked if he'd wear it with the Redskins when he basically deferred to Joey T.

So should he get to wear #7 or does he need Joe's blessing?

Should the team decide and avoid putting Joe on the spot?

Thoughts?

Joe tweeted "Good Luck, Dwayne Haskins, from one #7 to another".
A lot of people interpreted that as being Joe endorsing DH wearing #7 .
But in actuality, the statement was not that clear cut, and had the possibility of being interpreted another way.
But overall statements sound like they are both wanting and willing to discuss it with each other.
I personally don't care what number he wears.
I don't believe jersey numbers are like holy and sacred.
They are literally just a number.
We get in the habit of making too many numbers off-limits, then eventually we run out of numbers.
Because we have the combination of both "officially retired" numbers, and "unofficially retired" numbers, which compounds and speeds up the process of running out of numbers - especially when you that the limits are not merely restricted to 1 through 99, but further restricted to a small amount of numbers allowed for each position group.
But yea, I know, they way the Skins have been playing, it will be a long time before we get to the point that all the QB-eligible numbers are officially and unofficially off limits.

Haskins showed respect. Why not enhance karma by letting him wear lucky #7 !!!

I'm over the number stuff myself. There are 20 or more Redskins players who meant more to or as much to the franchise as Joe Theismann. The numbers not his to ‘give'. If you want your number retired, get voted into the HOF. Retirement of a number should be limited to that kind of once in a lifetime player and in the case of a tragedy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm over the number stuff myself. There are 20 or more Redskins players who meant more to or as much to the franchise as Joe Theismann. The numbers not his to ‘give'. If you want your number retired, get voted into the HOF. Retirement of a number should be limited to that kind of once in a lifetime player and in the case of a tragedy.

I agree with this...kinda tired of the number thing if none are officially retired. I heard JoeyT say he'd consider letting Haskins use his number. Man, that guy's ego is as big as I've ever seen in my lifetime. Who is he? A good enough QB to direct a Goliath of a team to the end goal...a SB win?

If Haskins wants it, they should give it to him. If Joe wants to make it all about Joe like he does with everything else, then let Joe make it all about Joe. But the number belongs to the Redskins. Give it to Haskins if he wants it. Theismann shouldn't have any say in it, but that won't stop him I'm sure.

Make him earn the #7 , just like he's gotta earn the starting job !

Haskins earned it when he answered the reporters question about the number in the first place. He stated he'd talk it over with Mr. Theisman...that's enough. It was the diplomatic thing to do, he respects those who came before him, but Theisman "considering" it is the same Joe that treated my wife poorly. That dude is dead to me, who cares what he did in 1983 for this team.

They already handed out 68 and 66 in the past.

Gave out 27 and 55 too. Both Houston and Hanburger are in the HOF as Redskins.

Yea, let's move on from revering numbers.
There's other ways to honor historic players, other than their jersey numbers.
Ring of Fame is a good example.
I was kind of joking when I suggested earlier that Haskins has to earn the #.

I think about what Monk would think if someone wore 81, nothing, but I'd wager someone would ask out of respect, **** Devin Thomas wore it bleh. This shit overall is nonsense but this shows class to me period, young kid starting off right.

I believe there is power in a number, in the player's head and heart if no where else. Part mysticism, part superstition, and part confidence, I absolutely think having the right number on the jersey makes a difference in how some players perform. Not all, mind you, but some. I don't think legends like Dave Butz, Joe Jacoby, or Art Monk cared. I don't think their identity was wrapped up in the number. For others, like Joey T and Clinton Portis, the number on the jersey mattered. It was part of who they were and changing it would have messed with their mojo.

Every player has their thing though. Art Monk got fined every single game for his socks because that was his thing. Lester Hayes had stick'em on his uniform every time I saw him play. His thing. Joe Washington had his gold shoes. Numbers are just one of the possible things a player can get hung up on and need to be right. However, it is a very obvious thing and one of the few that becomes high profile because of past players who have taken on legendary status.

I like that Haskins respected the past. It shows me something about him. He knows some Redskin history even though we aren't his team and he wasn't even alive when Joey T last suited up in the burgundy and gold. Tells me his head is on at least somewhat straight and he was raised right.

It would be nice if Joey were on board with this but if I'm with the team I don't consider it a requirement. I'd probably call Joe and let him know that in as diplomatic a way as possible. I'd probably also take this opportunity to publicly set the policy that players are honored by the team by being added to the Ring, not by retiring numbers. I think perhaps a policy of leaving certain numbers out of team rotation for a period of time would suffice. Some nice round number like 10 years. The exception to this would be #33 which, if memory serves, was actually officially retired.

Pretty certain Theismann has already blessed Haskins wearing #7 . Nice post Neo.

Pretty certain Theismann has already blessed Haskins wearing #7 .

Great. Now we can start talking about football. :)

Or...is it going to be a few weeks before Haskins even throws a pass ?

But...we can still debate over whether said pass will have more velocity, tightness of spiral, and accuracy than an Alex Smith pass.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.