• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes Day Two 2019 NFL Draft

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
sownewsletter.png

April 26, 2019

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On what the plan was heading into Day 2:
“Well, we were obviously looking to add to our receiving core a little bit, and he gives us a nice blend with a combination of speed and toughness. He's actually our special teams number one player on the board as far as what he does in that unit – covering kicks, flyer on punt. But really, it's all about his receiving skills. He averaged about twenty yards a catch last year. He's a very explosive player. He can run. I think he can do a little bit of everything – inside, outside. But he gives us a dimension, another added dimension with that great speed and toughness that he brings to the table in the run game and the vertical pass game.”

On where he sees WR Terry McLaurin fitting in best whether it is inside or outside:
"I'd probably start with him outside right now. I think he is a very smart and intelligent player and works extremely hard, so he is going to be a guy that learns all three and be able to move around and provide us with depth at every position and obviously provide us with some juice and eventually be a starter without a doubt once he gets in here. Obviously, he already has a great rapport with Dwayne [Haskins] so it is a natural pick for us."

On if the relationship with QB Dwayne Haskins and McLaurin factored into the decision:
"I didn't hear from Dwayne, but I know they get along great. I was at the Pro Day this year and you could see them just communicating. The work that Terry puts in, he runs every route like it's his last route. He works extremely hard. Obviously, Dwayne has a lot of confidence in him. He has a lot of confidence in Dwayne. It's a good natural fit."

On McLaurin's potential to be a go-to receiver:
"It's a little early for that. He's obviously got the potential and that's what we're looking for. But really, you're talking about an all-around player and that's why we liked him so much. He's a guy that's been great in the locker room; he's been a captain, a leader and sets the standard as far as work ethic is concerned. I think eventually he could grow into that, but we have some good receivers here still. I think with Paul Richardson [Jr.] becoming healthy – he'll be a bigger factor this year – obviously, Josh Doctson's fourth year. I know that people are looking for more from him. Trey Quinn is coming back, Cam Sims is coming back and Jehu [Chesson] is here. We have some receivers in-house that are going to push the envelope and try to be that go-to guy, not to mention Jordan Reed, Vernon Davis and Chris Thompson."

On the ability to evaluate both Haskins and McLaurin at Ohio State's Pro Day:
"I got a lot out of it just watching Dwayne throwing the ball and how he interacted with his teammates and the accuracy that he possessed at that Pro Day and the quickness he gets the ball out. A lot of people think he is a big, long delivery guy with slow feet. But at the Pro Day, he had quick feet and quick out the drop and quick out the release, which is exciting and he is very accurate. Watching Terry [McLaurin] run around. When you watch him on tape, you don't necessarily see that blazing speed, but watching him in person you feel it. He can run. Like I said, he was taking every route. Parris Campbell [Ohio State Wide Receiver] went down in that Pro Day early so they kind of got a little flustered with who was going to run what and Terry jumped in and ran extra routes for him and never batted an eye. Two great guys and two great players."

On if Haskins Pro Day set him atop the draft board:
"It helped, but it was just all part of the process. When you're thinking about taking a quarterback it is important to go check out some Pro Days. Our coaching staff, whoever it was, we handle all Pro Days of all quarterbacks this year. Somebody was at all of them, obviously and I think that played a big part of it."

On defining McLaurin's skillset on both offense and special teams:
"It tells you a lot about a guy and not to mention his blocking outside in the perimeter and bubble screens, and he may not be getting the ball and getting the credit for it, but he's the one making them work. Parris Campbell had so many yards after the catch, a lot of those because he's leading the way for them blocking the perimeters, safeties, corners or what have you. So, very unselfish player, and that goes a long way in this day and age in football, because it's going to be hard to cater to one guy all the time in this offense. We try to spread the ball around and unselfishness is a very important part of being on this football team – got to do your job and he does his job extremely well."

On using a player's speed to determine draft picks:
"I think the way pro football is going, speed is the name of the game. We have some power up front with our big guys with Jonathan [Allen] and Daron [Payne] and Matt Ioannidis and [Ryan] Kerrigan, and he has people that can run. [Montez] Sweat's going to be a big help. Hopefully, tomorrow we'll add a couple more guys that can really run on defense and maybe some more on offense. Very important this time of run you see what people are doing with these bubble screens and jet sweeps and all that stuff, so running, pursuing to the football is a key element."

On decision to trade the No. 96 pick:
"I think the chance to get the two players for one, really. I think we have a bunch of guys that are kind of clumped together right now that I think that we lost a couple guys but I think the ability to get another extra player was the key."

On filling needs in Day 3 of the NFL Draft:
"Kyle [Smith] (Redskins Director of College Scouting) and the rest of the staff have addressed and made the board and we're just going to go by the board. Obviously, we'll take a look at the positions we kind of want to focus on, but we don't want to just key in on one position. I want a position, we need it. If there's a better player in another position, we'll take him. So, I think it's very important to let the board do the talking for us because they put a lot of time and work into that thing and the rankings are there for a purpose. So, I'll have to go by that."

On the timing and certainty of the decision to choose Haskins:
"When whoever picked in front of us didn't pick him, it was pretty much solidified. It's really hard because you're sitting there and you want a guy, but you have to wait. It happens every year. You can't trade up and get everybody; you won't have any picks left. Try to keep the picks that we have because we were able to get some more players without a doubt. He was definitely targeted. You never really make your mind up on one guy because you have a tendency to get your heart broken if that guy gets picked and everybody goes in disarray. But, we had a bunch of players in that spot ready to go, but obviously Dwayne was the number one guy there."

WR Terry McLaurin

On being drafted and potentially playing with college teammate QB Dwayne Haskins:
"It's a blessing and I feel like God put me in this situation for a reason. He put me in the perfect situation for me. To be back with my college teammate, a player like Dwayne [Haskins], I think it's an honor just to be a part of this organization just period. I am very [much] honored to be a part of the NFL now."

On if he spoke with Haskins after he was selected by the Redskins last night:
"I did. He told me he was going to push them to draft me and so much can happen on draft day. I didn't necessarily put too much merit into it but I thought it was a possibility. I'm just honored to be a part of this great organization."

On how Haskins helped his game last season:
"Dwayne, what he brings to the table is that competitive edge. He makes my job a lot easier. When I'm out of my breaks the ball is already there in great spots for me to make plays. I felt like we really complemented each other at Ohio State."

On blocking and special teams play:
"I just believe that it gives me versatility. I believe it just adds value for an organization going through this process. I take pride in any time that I am on the field – special teams or offense, no matter what I am going to give it my all. That's the kind of approach I take to the game."

On describing the himself as receiver:
"I see myself as that deep ball receiver to be able to take that top off of any defense. I see myself just being able to make plays wherever the coaches see that I fit and I'm just looking forward to that opportunity, wherever the coaches see me fitting into that offense I'm going to do that to the best of my ability. But, first and foremost I see myself as that big play hitter."

On what NFL receiver he models his play after:
"I grew up kind of liking DeSean Jackson's game – his ability to take the top off of the defense, to make big plays, just his ability to make big plays through the air and that's kind of someone I always emulated in a certain degree. Then his ability to make plays in the special teams game was also huge."

On playing for one of Philadelphia Eagles WR DeSean Jackson's old teams:
"When I was about to say his name that's kind of why I hesitated, but at the end of the day I'm just going to be myself. I'm not coming here to be DeSean Jackson; I'm coming here to be Terry McLaurin and just try to put my best foot forward."

On conversations with the Redskins about playing in the slot or the outside:
"Well, we didn't really get into too many specifics on where they would place me, but they like my overall game. They like my ability to play in the slot and on the outside. I don't know where they'll have me, but I'm eager to work wherever."

Last edited:
Doctson has one more year to show he fits into the mix at WR.

I would still be looking for another WR with size in the draft and perhaps a veteran signing over the summer as well.

We can't depend upon Doctson and Richardson until they show us they are able to get on the field for 16 games and be productive.

Just for shits and giggles, I decided to play around on http://fanspeak.com and here's what I come up with. Why not make our new QB comfortable with some more Buckeyes...

Rd. 4 Pick 10: Michael Jordan, G/C, Ohio State

4/24/19: Jordan moved to center in 2018 and proved to be a good starter there, which really improves his value for the NFL. In speaking with sources, they see Jordan as a potential second-day pick.

Rd. 4 Pick 28: Isaiah Prince, OT, Ohio State

4/24/19: Prince had a decent 2018 season for Ohio State, but it has also illustrated that he is mainly a right tackle for the NFL. He looked somewhat improved with his consistency than 2017 however. Multiple team sources say that Prince is getting some third- to fourth-round grades. They think that he is limited to playing the right side in the NFL, but they do believe that he could develop into a starter after some developmental time

Rd. 5 Pick 15: Saquan Hampton, S, Rutgers

4/20/19: In 2018, Hampton recorded 65 tackles with 13 passes broken up and three interceptions. He is a solid sleeper safety who is going under the radar, but he helped himself with a good combine.

Rd. 5 Pick 35: Hamp Cheevers, CB, Boston College

4/20/19: Cheevers was one of the most dangerous cornerbacks in college football during 2018, producing seven interceptions for Boston College. To go along with the picks, Cheevers notched 39 tackles with seven passes broken up. It was a big improvement from his sophomore year when he had 17 tackles, four breakups, and two interceptions. Cheevers would be rated higher if he were bigger, but given his size limitations, he is likely to be relegated to the slot in the NFL.

Rd. 6 Pick 33: WR, Lil'Jordan Humphrey... convert him to TE...

4/23/19: Humphrey is a gritty receiver who is dangerous for yards after the catch. He is a fighter with some junk-yard dog in him who will run through tackles and get physical with cornerbacks. However, Humphrey is slow for the NFL. He can't run at all and will really struggle to separate from pro cornerbacks. That was given more proof at the combine, where he ran very slowly in the 40.

Rd. 7 Pick 13: Johnny Dixon, WR, Ohio State

4/23/19: In 2018, Dixon totaled 42 receptions for 669 yards and eight touchdowns.

8/28/18: In 2017, Dixon caught only 18 passes for 422 yards, but in those receptions, he found eight touchdowns. Dixon could fit as a slot receiver candidate for the NFL

Rd. 7 Pick 39: Joe Giles-Harris*, ILB/OLB, Duke

4/20/19: In 2018, Giles-Harris had 81 tackles with two passes broken up and .5 sacks.

8/29/18: Giles-Harris is a smart defender who has been a steady linebacker in the ACC over the past two seasons. He amassed 125 tackles with 16 for a loss, 4.5 sacks, four breakups, one forced fumble and one interception in 2017. For 2016, Giles-Harris totaled 107 tackles with 9.5 tackles for a loss, four sacks, one interception, and two breakups.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.