• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

I don't think Haskins should have been the pick

That's cause I'm so....large, and all.

Well, we all know that's not true...remember, you were wearing crotchless panties..er...umm...silk pajamas.

Also, the AZ Cardinals should fire Steve Keim for how he handled the Josh Rosen trade. We could have had Montez Sweat, Josh Rosen and DK Metcalf in the 2nd round if they hadn't been so stupid!

Dude threw 50 tds which is pretty damn impressive honestly. I'd feel better as soon as we draft him some line depth though, friggin debacle last year, and the one before.

He also threw I want say against ranked teams 20 TD and 6 interceptions but it might have been higher than that on the TD.

Well, we all know that's not true...remember, you were wearing crotchless panties..er...umm...silk pajamas.

Also, the AZ Cardinals should fire Steve Keim for how he handled the Josh Rosen trade. We could have had Montez Sweat, Josh Rosen and DK Metcalf in the 2nd round if they hadn't been so stupid!

I agree with your logic El. I did hear an interesting discussion yesterday about Metcalf. Apparently he did very poorly in the cone drills which are indicators of foot quickness (or whatever technical term the evaluators use). The idea is that he is not phjysically able to make the quick changes in direction (i.e., route routing) to create separation. He has blazing speed and size. D coordinators are going to jam/press him at the line to further reduce his ability to create separation & disrupt timing. In short, at least early on, he'll be a one trick pony.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the flip side....seems like a lotta teams are turned off by Rosen.

Woke up this morning to survey the draft day 1 aftermath.

I'm pretty happy. :)

My brother watches way more college football than I do and he regards Haskins as a bit of a project but with good upside. He compared him to Winston.
A single year isn't much to go on, but I like his TD/Int ratio.

But what makes me really happy is that we didn't try and trade up to get him, we just let him come to us at 15 and stayed locked into that slot. I was really fearing us making an RGIII like move that would blow picks and move us up to get him at a spot that was higher than he deserved. As many others have said he'll either work out or he won't. With Keenum and Colt in the house we do have the opportunity to groom him for a while before throwing him in at the deep-end, especially if pegleg-Smith can come in and lend a hand with the grooming. It would be really nice to see us try and take a little time and do this right.

I know nothing about Sweat at 26, but my brother said he's a good pick up as long as this heart condition thing that's surfaced does prove to be nothing to worry about.

I have one thing when it comes to quarterbacks, and no its not black qbs and gingers anymore lol, seriously I would never draft a guy who only had one huge year in college, I just wouldnt, the boom bust ratio simply doesnt look good to me, Our Oline was overrated and had no depth, you dont lose 2 qbs to broken legs behind an all pro line. if I am gonna draft a qb, the pieces I want in place first, are a good Oline across the board, a solid TE and at least one playmaker at WR, thats because we invest so much in a qb, I want his chances at success maximised.

My first impression is that it's a coin flip as to whether he is great or a disappointment. I realize that the position does not require an Adonis but my immediate concern watching the combine was his physique, or lack there of. Considering that these young men are preparing for the most important day of their career to date, his conditioning struck me as a warning sign. Maybe it's just his body type, maybe he is lazy, only time will tell. My instincts tell me he is a future fat guy. With money in the bank, I hope he doesn't feel he's made it and that he takes the necessary steps to be his best.

I have one thing when it comes to quarterbacks, and no its not black qbs and gingers anymore lol, seriously I would never draft a guy who only had one huge year in college, I just wouldnt, the boom bust ratio simply doesnt look good to me, Our Oline was overrated and had no depth, you dont lose 2 qbs to broken legs behind an all pro line. if I am gonna draft a qb, the pieces I want in place first, are a good Oline across the board, a solid TE and at least one playmaker at WR, thats because we invest so much in a qb, I want his chances at success maximised.

The concern about the single year as a starter is reasonable. But I also think you can flip that viewpoint and point to how impressive it was he was able to perform at the level he did without a lot of experience. His ceiling is high. As far as the OL, while we do need depth, maybe a starter (depending on whether they can get Flowers to play at any kind of acceptable level), and we've had some injuries. But we were protecting the QB very well and rushing effectively last year until injuries hit well into the 2nd half of the year. Injuries happen but I think our OL is top 10 and you don't pass on potential franchise QBs because your line isn't perfect. I don't ever recall an NFL team - any NFL team - following that kind of logic.

My first impression is that it's a coin flip as to whether he is great or a disappointment. I realize that the position does not require an Adonis but my immediate concern watching the combine was his physique, or lack there of. Considering that these young men are preparing for the most important day of their career to date, his conditioning struck me as a warning sign. Maybe it's just his body type, maybe he is lazy, only time will tell. My instincts tell me he is a future fat guy. With money in the bank, I hope he doesn't feel he's made it and that he takes the necessary steps to be his best.

Here is some of his combine footage. He's not ripped but I'm not really noticing him looking out of shape, I just don't think he's one of those low body fat guys?

Cam Newton played one year of major college ball and came out per McShay with less sophistication in being able to read coverages and make decisions.

To me Haskins has the physical tools, character and work ethic to elevate himself.

My greater fear actually is the quality of the coaching - will they work efficiently like McVay did to get Haskins on the field in the NFL and properly supported.

My only concern with Haskins is the same concern Is have with any rookie QB. How well can he pickup on the NFL defenses. Can he quickly figure things out or does he struggle to adjust. Cousins had a good grip on defenses pre snap, but he never figured out how to read a defense that shows one look and runs another after the snap. It's always the question for rookies and will usually determine success or failure. Haskins has the tools to be a great pocket passer. But how he adjusts to the defenses adjusting to him will be the key to his success.

And yes, coaching does have a ton to do with that. But ultimately it's the QB who has to be the one to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cam Newton played one year of major college ball and came out per McShay with less sophistication in being able to read coverages and make decisions.

To me Haskins has the physical tools, character and work ethic to elevate himself.

My greater fear actually is the quality of the coaching - will they work efficiently like McVay did to get Haskins on the field in the NFL and properly supported.

Cam Newton was able to rely much more on his freakish athleticism in his early career, which caused defenses to play him honest. Haskins is not going to run out of the pocket at 6'3" 245 with the same speed Cam could at 6'5" 255. In fact, the big rub on Haskins is how slow he is...not a good comparison.

that's true, but Haskins has one thing that Newton really never has had in his career - accuracy.

Newton's completion percentage has been for the most part disappointing in the NFL.

Haskins is a natural pocket passer with downfield accuracy. That's a pretty good profile heading into the league.

Haskins is no Robert Griffin that had to have a special offense installed for him so he could compete at the next level.

did we really just draft a guy who had a torn acl in his last game in college? ffs, did we draft him so that guice can have a rehab partner? fml

First round talent according to many, and I was excited when I 1st saw the selection because I'd forgotten about the injury. Thew more I think about it, the more I shake my head.

Another flier on an injured player. We do it every year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.