• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Are You Not Entertained?: Analysis of Shanahan's Draft Tendencies in Denver

Aston Gambino

The Redskins faithful enter this 2010 offseason with more questions than answers. How will the player's react to all these new coaches? Will we...

More...

OF: Analysis of Shanahan's Draft Tendencies in Denver

Damn good stuff, brother.

Hope you don't mind that I took the liberty ...

The Daily Redskin 2.12.10

If you are a Washington Redskins fan in the mood for a little meat on them pre-draft analysis bones, help yourself to some tasty Mike Shanahan draft history and number-crunching from Aston Gambino's always-satisfying (if too infrequent!) blog, Are You Not Entertained?

Perhaps the most compelling question, if not the most important, is what will new head coach Mike Shanahan do on draft day ...?

More...

Last edited:
Really good stuff and I know this because I read it on my own time (took today off) rather than on company time. It has to be good to keep me interested when not at work!

Interesting use of the draft chart too.

If I were to quibble with anything, it is that you rolled the S and CB positions into an all inclusive DB slot while breaking everything else out. Wonder if it changes any when those positions are considered independently?

Regardless, there is a lot of great detail work here and I admire that. Awesome job!

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the statistical breakdown, Aston. I was really hoping someone would do something like this, it provides essential information for armchair prognosticators. It's obvious you put a lot of effort into this and, believe me, it is well appreciated. Good job indeed! :clap2:

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it.

Om said:
Hope you don't mind that I took the liberty ...
Absolutely not! Mi casa su casa.

Neophyte said:
If I were to quibble with anything, it is that you rolled the S and CB positions into an all inclusive DB slot while breaking everything else out. Wonder if it changes any when those positions are considered independently?
Unfortunately, this position was labeled differently depending on who you asked. Some places called a guy a DB, others would call that same guy a CB. Worse, some sites referred to a safety a DB, others referred to that same guy a S, and another site would call him a SS. Because of this lack of standardization, it seemed to make the most sense to just combine them all under one umbrella, though that certainly did spike the DB totals on the quantity graph. Wasn't too worried about it since the primary focus was QB and OT.

servumtuum said:
Thanks a lot for the statistical breakdown, Aston. I was really hoping someone would do something like this, it provides essential information for armchair prognosticators. It's obvious you put a lot of effort into this and, believe me, it is well appreciated. Good job indeed!
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, this position was labeled differently depending on who you asked. Some places called a guy a DB, others would call that same guy a CB. Worse, some sites referred to a safety a DB, others referred to that same guy a S, and another site would call him a SS. Because of this lack of standardization, it seemed to make the most sense to just combine them all under one umbrella, though that certainly did spike the DB totals on the quantity graph. Wasn't too worried about it since the primary focus was QB and OT.

I figured it was something like that. Bummer too because I can see CB potentially grading out nearly as high as T in this thing. Besides QB and pass rushing DE, T and CB are the two most sought after positions going. It is just possible that the inclusion of S, a position typically left for later in the draft like C unless you have a freak like Ed Reed or Sean Taylor available, drug down the CB numbers. However, you can only work with what you have.

Still a great job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.