• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Wearing #21

I just don't think they have the lasting impact that Sean did.

And I don't want to be belittling Sean :) but I'll just say that I don't know that he had THAT big a lasting impact. He should have. He was about to. But if, instead of being shot, he had, say, been traded after four seasons like Champ Bailey was, we wouldn't be talking about retiring his number. We probably wouldn't be talking about how much better he was than other guys that went to multiple pro-bowls and won championships wearing that number.

His untimely death is the big difference. And, hey, it should be. It was a big deal and we should never forget that.

However, that's the crux of the debate. Does his dying early warrant a retirement of the number. As much as I loved watching him play, and as saddened as I was about his death, I think it's time to bring the number back out. If you disagree I can respect that.

Not sure of your age, brother. I used to think 10yrs was a long time too.

But I swear, I laid down to take a nap yesterday. And when I woke up, 20yrs was gone!!!!

I hear ya. Pushing 50 over here. But 10 years (12 by next season, actually) is a long time in football years. :)

And I don't want to be belittling Sean :) but I'll just say that I don't know that he had THAT big a lasting impact. He should have. He was about to. But if, instead of being shot, he had, say, been traded after four seasons like Champ Bailey was, we wouldn't be talking about retiring his number. We probably wouldn't be talking about how much better he was than other guys that went to multiple pro-bowls and won championships wearing that number.

His untimely death is the big difference. And, hey, it should be. It was a big deal and we should never forget that.

However, that's the crux of the debate. Does his dying early warrant a retirement of the number. As much as I loved watching him play, and as saddened as I was about his death, I think it's time to bring the number back out. If you disagree I can respect that.
Oh, you're 100% correct about his untimely death being the crux of the debate. And not just the death by itself, but also the circumstances surrounding it.

As I said in a previous post, he had no yet earned the title of best Redskin safety ever. Ken Houston is still the man there, IMHO. But the promise of it happening seemed more than inevitable. He had some pretty damn memorable plays/days in his short career. No, they weren't in a SB. If they had been, we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion. Maybe being an old fart now, his impact plays stand out more to me, because they're the most recent. But I don't think so.

Another thing that makes him a little more special is, he was ours. We drafted him. His entire, albeit brief career was here. Byner and Allen were both FA. And while I loved Nelms as much as anyone, I just think Taylor made more impact plays. Hell, he scored as many career TD's as Nelms. With 1 being in the playoffs.

And I don't think I'm totally against getting #21 back into play. I just think letting Collins earn it, starting with #36 , might be the way to go.
IF, they're going to do it at all, at this time.

No disrespect to Sean, who was one of a kind, but let I say let the guy wear whatever digits he wants as long as he helps us rack up W's.

At this point I would slap some pads on my 14yr old niece if it could help the Skins win.

We had a discussion about someone wearing Sean's number, during the discussion about his impact as a player on this team.

As I watch this video on his birthday today fighting back the tears of such a loss to our family, I'm reminded of the impact this young man had on so many in the DC and Miami areas.

God bless Sean and his family, I hope he rests in peace.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.