• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Wearing #21

Ax

I suspect most, including myself, immediately dismiss the idea of allowing Landon Collins to wear #21 , to honor his football idol, Sean Taylor.

But, since as of this moment, it hasn't been shot down, I'm curious what the reaction might be if....
1. The family would agree to it.
2. The team would then allow it.

If the answers to both 1, and 2 wind up being yes, I'd suggest the following.

For his rookie season (with us) he should wear #36 . He'd need to show that his "Sean-like" passion is real. And not just talk from a free agent that got paid, but hasn't played a down yet in the Burgundy & Gold. This is not to say he has to "be" the next Sean Taylor, as that will never happen. Just that his effort, is reflected in the same sort of, all out, fun loving, game changing way Sean did.

Then, and only then, should he be given the chance to wear #21 .

What say you?

Let him wear #36 .

I wouldn't put the family in that position as they would be pressured in a way to say yes to wearing #21 .

Collins wore 26 in college.

Let him wear 36. So let it be written, so let it be done.

I think he should have to ask Mike Nelms or Earnest Byner...maybe Terry Allen...if they're OK with him wearing that number.

Hell, at least Earnest helped get a ring wearing 21..........

No disrespect to Sean, who was one of a kind, but let I say let the guy wear whatever digits he wants as long as he helps us rack up W's.

Put me in the I don't care camp. ST was a bright star in the dreary Redskins' universe. I will always remember the day I heard the news, and still get choked up every time I see the videos posted in November every year and April 1st, his birthday.

However, it's just a matter of time before someone wears the number again. The team has not officially retired any jersey number if I recall correctly.

Let him wear it...so what?

We've had a lot of great 21s over the years. Love Sean Taylor, but to me, 21 first and foremost belongs to Mike Nelms.

It's been over 10 years. I think its ok to bring the number back out now, especially to honor Taylor.

Wow, not being allowed to multiquote.

Can't even Reply with quote.

Last edited by a moderator:
To Bulldog

I agree that #36 is the easy solution. I also think the question could be put to the family privately, with zero pressure. If they say yes, then you go public. If not, then the team claims it's their decision to not even consider it. And, they voluntarily take any and all heat for the decision.

To ntotoro

Well, you best be on the lookout for frogs and grasshoppers!

To DieselPwr44

Love all those guys. But you know as well as I do, this would be a little different. Nelms was a bad mother (shutz yo mouth). But he was a one trick pony. And maybe the 3rd best returner of our lifetimes. Earnest Byner was great for us. But he was also another plug and play RB that thrived behind the hogs. Terry Allen had some good years here. But was hardly transformational. Besides, it may be a minor thing, but when issuing these "special numbers", it doesn't seem so bad when it's on the other side of the ball. Or at least, a different position.

Sean had not yet reached "Best Redskins Safety" of my lifetime. (Ken Houston) But he was well on his way. If given the opportunity, he might well have been in the company of Darrel Green and Brian Mitchell as a returner. Like them, he also played ST coverage. So, I wouldn't be so quick to take a pot shot at Sean, because the team didn't win a Super Bowl.

To DudeRedskin

Fully agree with just wanting to win. But knowing how some fans lose their minds over meaningless stuff, I can only imagine the shit storm if he wears #21 right from the start, then either fails miserably on the field. Or winds up on video punching a nun in the belly. :end:

To Elephant

I can respect that point of view. But I admit, I do have sacred numbers in my mind. Someday, they should all be back in play. Except for #33 . Not sure I'd go with a hard timeline, like BB put forth in his piece about it. But, as an example. For me, no RB should wear #43 . Unless he got the personal blessing of Larry Brown first. Same for #9 . Maybe I'm just a sentimental fool, but I'm a Redskin fan because of those 2 guys. I might even ask both of them how they would wish it to be handled, after they die. Knowing that it WAS going to happen, but we respectfully ask for their input.

To Henry

As I said at the beginning of this post, I love me some Nelms/Byner/Allen. But their careers here never earned them an "unofficial" number retirement, like Baugh, Brown, Jurgensen, Theismann, and Taylor. His play on the field was better than any of the other #21 's I remember. With the promise of much more to come.

And the tragic way in which he was taken from his family, makes this a unique situation. In my book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not taking pot shots at Sean.

I loved to watch him play. The first defensive player in my lifetime that made me sit on the edge of my seat to see what he was going to do next (like it was with Larry,Magic and Michael in basketball).

I understand the hype surrounding him but IMO, I think it's been way overblown at this point. I never met the man but by the way he played on the field,I'd guess he wouldn't give a damn about someone wearing a certain number on the field as long as he balled out and got the job done.

IMO, it's long over due....let the man rest.

To Elephant

I can respect that point of view. But I admit, I do have sacred numbers in my mind. Someday, they should all be back in play. Except for #33 . Not sure I'd go with a hard timeline, like BB put forth in his piece about it. But, as an example. For me, no RB should wear #43 . Unless he got the personal blessing of Larry Brown first. Same for #9 . Maybe I'm just a sentimental fool, but I'm a Redskin fan because of those 2 guys. I might even ask both of them how they would wish it to be handled, after they die. Knowing that it WAS going to happen, but we respectfully ask for their input.

And the tragic way in which he was taken from his family, makes this a unique situation. In my book.

That tragedy is why I always thought I'd be happy if no one ever wore the number again, but I watched Ryan Clark wear it for practices and was fine with it. I know how much Clark loved ST.

* side note* What a terrible move it was to dump Clark for Archuletta. Thanks Vinnie!

Ax, I'd also add 2 numbers to the retired by respect only numbers, 44 and 81.

But I'd have no problem watching any of them be worn, so long as it is done with respect and success.

Without question on 81 & 44, El. I think these guys should be part of the conversation, with the team, before they take the long dirt nap.

Of course, being one of the old farts around here, I instantly think of all the players, and their numbers, I've had the pleasure to watch over the years. Hoping the new kid won't taint a great number.

As an example, he, who's name gives me herpes when forced to remember it, tainted one of my early favs number, Len Hauss. I have Len in my memory banks. But the younger folks need a new memory for that number. Every time someone gets that number now, I hope and pray he'll be a HOF'er, worthy of Len Hauss' memory. Even though it will be a defensive player.

The more we can wash away the memory ole maggot shit, the better.

Wow, not being allowed to multiquote.

Can't even Reply with quote.

Try a different browser. We haven't made any changes to the site and from experience, weird glitchy things like this are almost always on the user end. The software hasn't changed :)

Try a different browser. We haven't made any changes to the site and from experience, weird glitchy things like this are almost always on the user end. The software hasn't changed :)

Well, you can see it just worked with me (reply with quote'n) brother al.

And if this works when I hit post, I must have cured myself.

As I said at the beginning of this post, I love me some Nelms/Byner/Allen. But their careers here never earned them an "unofficial" number retirement, like Baugh, Brown, Jurgensen, Theismann, and Taylor. His play on the field was better than any of the other 21's I remember. With the promise of much more to come.

I'd have to disagree with you on this point. Taylor only played three and a half seasons. He was very raw for the first season or so, and he was absolutely awesome for about two seasons. Had he lived and gone on to a long career I have no doubt he'd have been a truly dominant player, a Hall-of-Famer, and possibly sitting atop Mt. Rushmore of Washington Redskins. But he didn't. And because of that, his career was no more remarkable, on the field, than three-time pro-bowler and all-pro Mike Nelms who never called a fair catch and whose 76-yard kickoff return in the 1982 NFCC crushed Dallas' momentum and enabled us to build on our lead. Or Earnest Byner, who went to two pro-bowls with us and got us off the schneid by scoring our first TD in Superbowl 26. Or Terry Allen, who, coming off two re-constructed knees, broke the Redskins' single-season rushing mark while leading the league in TDs, for a fairly lousy team.

I think we do those guys a disservice when we don't give them at least partial claim to that number.

Now that is a fair point. But, like I said, ten years is a long time, and if the next guy taking the number is doing so to honor Taylor, I'm ok with it.

I'd have to disagree with you on this point. Taylor only played three and a half seasons. He was very raw for the first season or so, and he was absolutely awesome for about two seasons. Had he lived and gone on to a long career I have no doubt he'd have been a truly dominant player, a Hall-of-Famer, and possibly sitting atop Mt. Rushmore of Washington Redskins. But he didn't. And because of that, his career was no more remarkable, on the field, than three-time pro-bowler and all-pro Mike Nelms who never called a fair catch and whose 76-yard kickoff return in the 1982 NFCC crushed Dallas' momentum and enabled us to build on our lead. Or Earnest Byner, who went to two pro-bowls with us and got us off the schneid by scoring our first TD in Superbowl 26. Or Terry Allen, who, coming off two re-constructed knees, broke the Redskins' single-season rushing mark while leading the league in TDs, for a fairly lousy team.
Well, again, it's just my opinion. I remember what all these guys did here. But if I was to rate each at their positions, against others in team history at that position, for their careers here?

Nelms is the 3rd, if not 4th best return man. Not calling fair catches is epic. But that doesn't warrant number retirement. IMHO.

Byner, might arguably not even be top 5, at RB. He had some good years, and great games, behind one the best Olines in NFL history. And that "91" team was going to win SB XXVI, whomever was running the rock. Just like SB XXII.

Terry Allen was indeed a badass. I'd actually rate him above Byner. He didn't have the Hogs in front of him. He had more Yds and TD's in far fewer games. I don't hold not being on a better team, in consistent playoff contention, against him.
I think we do those guys a disservice when we don't give them at least partial claim to that number.
And so now, after appearing to belittle some of my favorite players, let me say again... I LOVE all these guys. I just don't think the whole of their careers here earned them number retirement consideration. Yet, I do indeed give them "partial claim", because they deserve to be part of the overall conversation.
I just don't think they have the lasting impact that Sean did.

As fans, we're blessed to have had them all on our team.

Now that is a fair point. But, like I said, ten years is a long time, and if the next guy taking the number is doing so to honor Taylor, I'm ok with it.
Not sure of your age, brother. I used to think 10yrs was a long time too.

But I swear, I laid down to take a nap yesterday. And when I woke up, 20yrs was gone!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.