A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Game 12 - Philly. No biggie. Just a season in the balance ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Default Re: Week one starting Qb for the redskins. Pick it.

I differ with you guys here. Jay's 'praise' of McCoy after Alex went down sounded very tepid to me. Jay's also never struck me as a HC who has a ton of patience with QBs who make mistakes or play poorly.

McCoy can run this offense and he doesn't deserve getting lumped in with John Beck and Danny Wuerffel. He just isn't durable and has shown he's only good for a 3 or 4 game stretch. That's fine for a backup. But Gruden isn't blind or stupid. I would be very surprised if he is the annointed starter in 2019. Doesn't mean it won't happen though. If it does, I believe it's simply to ease a rookie into the lineup, or because we opted not to draft a young QB in the upcoming draft.
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

You ain't bonafide

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    Kyler Murray is another in a long line of amazing athletes who translate into solid QB's in the college ranks. I doubt his ability in the NFL.

Can we just find a QB who happens to be a good enough athlete to extend plays, not a great athlete who depends on his athleticism to be a QB?
    Here's the thing ... he'll likely go top 5 and almost certainly will go top 10. I'm snarky and cynical, but I don't believe the Redskins are going to trade a bunch of draft gold to move up AGAIN. And while Murray may be a better prospect than Griffin (I think he's a more accurate passer), they do share certain aspects of their game (mostly negative ones). Look to run first (or at least, too quick to give up on pass plays and take off), accuracy breaks down on the run, and failure (or inability) to go through all the progressions and fully read a defense. And maybe most importantly, small physical frames that may not hold up well at the NFL level. I'm not worried about Murray's height - but Russell Wilson's ability to run and stay healthy is the NFL exception, not the rule.

Doesn't mean Murray will be an RG3 type bust. But there's enough risk that I don't believe we should take him, and the imperfections and potential pitfalls are enough to keep us from moving up to get him.
    0 2 0 0

You ain't bonafide

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Blog Entries

So we think Smith is done then? Completely?
    0 0 0 0

hailus redskinus
    COYS

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Neophyte View Post
    So we think Smith is done then? Completely?
    I think it's pretty clear he won't play a down in 2019. So taking us on to the 2020 season, we're talking about a QB who will be 36 1/2 years old. If he had been on the field with a stable roster and in the same offense, playing for the same head coach and coordinators for years, maybe we can still be successful with a QB that age.

But you add in all of the instability, I'm seriously doubtful he comes back. Starting with what will no doubt be questionable stability of that leg from here on out, he barely knew the offense in 2018 so he'll essentially be starting over. There will be new players, possibly a new head coach, or someone else calling plays. I just don't see how it happens.

I think there will be some kind of settlement that doesn't cripple the team, but gives Smith a lot of his deal $$ and the team will move on.
    0 1 0 0

You ain't bonafide

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Starting to think Kyler will go top 5 now.
    I am hesitant to think that we will give up 2020 and 2021 first round picks.

I still think we will trade up to get a quarterback. Possibly Daniel Jones.
    0 0 0 0