A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Is it August yet?

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    11,711
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default Redskins Hire Rob Ryan as Linebackers Coach

    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...backers-coach/


    * Can someone just shoot me in the head now, please! Put me out of my misery, already!













    * Of course I must post a disclaimer, this is not a real cry for help...just expressing disgust!
    0 1 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  2. #2
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    08-06-16
    Posts
    14
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Redskins Hire Rob Ryan as Linebackers Coach

    Redskins Park beginning to resemble the Island of Misfit Toys from Rudolph. Island of Misfit Coaches....

    Posted With Tapatalk
    0 3 0 0
     
     

  3. #3
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-27-09
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    1,307
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default Re: Redskins Hire Rob Ryan as Linebackers Coach

    Who needs the Virginia Employment Commission when you have the Redskins?
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  4. #4

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    18,437
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    95
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default Re: Redskins Hire Rob Ryan as Linebackers Coach

    I get the snark, but is this really a bad hire? We’re talking about a coach who showed enough ability he was a DC multiple times. And we’re getting him at an assistant coach level. I’m not sure the snark and criticism is warranted?


    Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    You ain't bonafide

  5. #5
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    11,711
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default Re: Redskins Hire Rob Ryan as Linebackers Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    I get the snark, but is this really a bad hire? We’re talking about a coach who showed enough ability he was a DC multiple times. And we’re getting him at an assistant coach level. I’m not sure the snark and criticism is warranted?


    Posted With Tapatalk
    OK, he is a strong personality, who likes the limelight. Tomsula is another strong personality who is less interested in the limelight as he is getting the most out of his players. I think Tomsula appears to be capable of working with others, at least there has been little drama on the defensive side of the ball since he's been here. Can you say the same about Ryan?

    This is like throwing gasoline on the fire. The Ryans have proven to be horrible human beings, and this one has never really produced anything on the field resembling a winner.
    0 1 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  6. #6
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    08-06-16
    Posts
    14
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Redskins Hire Rob Ryan as Linebackers Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    OK, he is a strong personality, who likes the limelight. Tomsula is another strong personality who is less interested in the limelight as he is getting the most out of his players. I think Tomsula appears to be capable of working with others, at least there has been little drama on the defensive side of the ball since he's been here. Can you say the same about Ryan?

    This is like throwing gasoline on the fire. The Ryans have proven to be horrible human beings, and this one has never really produced anything on the field resembling a winner.
    Plus, Ryan's dad was involved in the body bag game when with the Eagles, wasn't he? Ryan doesn't appear to stay in a place more than 1 or 2 years, and has been out of the game since 2016? I think this a "settle" hire.

    RYAN FOOTBALL TIMELINE

    1987: Defensive Assistant, Western Kentucky

    1988: Outside Linebackers Coach, Ohio State

    1989-93: Running Backs Coach, Linebackers Coach & Defensive Line Coach, Tennessee State

    1994-95: Defensive Backs Coach, Arizona Cardinals

    1996: Defensive Coordinator, Hutchinson Community College

    1997-99: Defensive Coordinator, Oklahoma State

    2000-03: Linebackers Coach, New England Patriots

    2004-08: Defensive Coordinator, Oakland Raiders

    2009-10: Defensive Coordinator, Cleveland Browns

    2011-12: Defensive Coordinator, Dallas Cowboys

    2013-15: Defensive Coordinator, New Orleans Saints

    2016: Assistant Head Coach/Defense, Buffalo Bills

    EDIT: I stand corrected. He lasted 4 years with Oakland, but that's more exception than rule.
    Last edited by john.hilker.9; 01-30-19 at 08:55 PM. Reason: It
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  7. #7

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    18,437
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    95
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default Re: Redskins Hire Rob Ryan as Linebackers Coach

    Wasn’t Ryan the defensive coordinator for two of the patriots Super Bowl wins? I’ll need to double check that, but I think that’s the case.


    Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    You ain't bonafide

  8. #8
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    08-06-16
    Posts
    14
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Redskins Hire Rob Ryan as Linebackers Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Wasn’t Ryan the defensive coordinator for two of the patriots Super Bowl wins? I’ll need to double check that, but I think that’s the case.


    Posted With Tapatalk
    Yep, he did have one stint with the Patriots.

    Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  9. #9

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    18,437
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    95
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default Re: Redskins Hire Rob Ryan as Linebackers Coach

    I'm going to make the same argument I did with the Ray Horton hire. We shouldn't be basing predictions on how these guys will do in the roles they were hired for based on how they performed as DCs. Both have had some success in the roles they were hired for this offseason.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    You ain't bonafide

  10. #10

    Join Date
    03-30-10
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,252
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Redskins Hire Rob Ryan as Linebackers Coach

    Sorry can't jump on board with ya on this one Boone. What a train wreck, settle hire. The guy has been out of football for 2 years for a reason. He's also so full of crap his tears are muddy. The Redskins are a well coached "great" organization? I know it's a hiring comment but good night Irene are you kidding me? The Ryan brothers....just no thanks.
    0 1 0 0
     
     
    I would be foolish to try to turn RGIII into a pocket passer. It would be foolish. The way he is as a runner, we have to take advantage of that. He strikes fear into defensive coordinators when he runs outside. I'm going to let him be himself. -Jay Gruden Jan. 2014

  11. #11

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    18,437
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    95
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default Re: Redskins Hire Rob Ryan as Linebackers Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by CounterTrey View Post
    Sorry can't jump on board with ya on this one Boone. What a train wreck, settle hire. The guy has been out of football for 2 years for a reason. He's also so full of crap his tears are muddy. The Redskins are a well coached "great" organization? I know it's a hiring comment but good night Irene are you kidding me? The Ryan brothers....just no thanks.
    The comment means nothing though - we all know any new hire is going to say positive things but that wouldn’t be a reason to beat on him

    Lots of reasons people are out of football. #1 reason is he wasn’t getting another DC job. Maybe no one offered him something less because they assumed he wouldn’t be open to it?

    I’m just saying he had success as a LB coach - and he did. Time will tell if this and all the coaching changes have any positive effect.


    Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    You ain't bonafide

  12. #12
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    12-20-13
    Posts
    62
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Redskins Hire Rob Ryan as Linebackers Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    The comment means nothing though - we all know any new hire is going to say positive things but that wouldn’t be a reason to beat on him

    Lots of reasons people are out of football. #1 reason is he wasn’t getting another DC job. Maybe no one offered him something less because they assumed he wouldn’t be open to it?

    I’m just saying he had success as a LB coach - and he did. Time will tell if this and all the coaching changes have any positive effect.


    Posted With Tapatalk
    I pride myself on looking past being a fan and being able to divorce my emotion and analyze the moves the Skins make (put my "fan hat" on and take it off when I want, if you will). However, and I can't fully explain it, I just can't do it. The thing just doesn't come off. The fan hat stays on with this. I guess, I just have too many bad memories of Buddy Ryan as coach of the Eagles. Too many memories of laughing AT the joke Rob Ryan was as Dallas DC, making fun of any Cowboys fans who were trying to see it as a good thing. The last job Rob Ryan had was with his brother. I'm going to go out on a limb and say, that was nepotism, and the Ryans were hoping he could help himself and his brother there. How did that work out?

    No, I'm no believer in Rob Ryan.

    I think we also have to come to grips with something else. If we are being completely honest, then we have to say that the only coaches who are coming to the Skins right now are coaches who cannot find ANYTHING else. There is no assumption that he wasn't open to it, these guys communicate what they want very clearly. He wasn't unemployed because he didn't tell people he was willing to do less, I think that's a big stretch of the imagination. No, as this public humiliation of a coaching search should tell anyone what we have kind of known for a long time, no one wants to come to the Skins. It has been that way since Shanahan, because the airing of that dirty laundry (that Shanny was the latest Redskins hire to do) pretty much told anyone (in particular coaches, but at this stage, players too) that you put your career in jeopardy by coming here. Think about that statement and imagine what it would take to convince someone to take that kind of risk by coming here. Now imagine who would do that. Did you imagine Rob Ryan? Correct.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  13. #13

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    18,437
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    95
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default Re: Redskins Hire Rob Ryan as Linebackers Coach

    That’s all fine, but you guys are changing the topic of conversation. No one has argued that Rob Ryan had numerous lucrative offers with great franchises and we won out over all of them. He may well have been desperate to get back into coaching at any level, even with the Redskins if you want to characterize it that way. But what we were talking about is whether or not he was a terrible coach. Yes, his stints as DC were less than stellar. I doubt you’ll find anyone to argue that point. But as a linebackers coach? I’m sorry, but I think you could do a lot worse and that’s based on his record.

    The truth is, and maybe rightfully so, any coaches we hire who are not coming off a top-tier season or two or a Super Bowl, are going to be mocked as pathetic at this point. I also don’t think it’s fair to hold Rob Ryan accountable for the actions of his idiot father. I sure as hell hope I’m not accountable for my dear departed father’s behavior at times.

    I agree with your overall point, which is that the current culture and environment swirling around Redskins park is not conducive to attract and sign quality coaching candidates. There’s no argument from me on that. But that doesn’t mean Rob Ryan has no clue or capability as a linebackers coach.

    Just my opinion and an effort to provide a little balance to the doomsday feel that dominates everything Redskins at the moment.




    Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    You ain't bonafide

  14. #14
    2016 BGO FF Champion
    BGObsessed

    Join Date
    11-18-12
    Location
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Posts
    4,007
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Air Force

    Default Re: Redskins Hire Rob Ryan as Linebackers Coach

    RR's defenses are all over the place rank wise. There's years where his association with a team were pretty good, yet coupled with some Hazmat type rankings. Meh

    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...es/RyanRo0.htm
    Team's Ranks


    Overall Defense Rushing Def Passing Def
    Year Tm Role Tms WL% T/G Pts± Yds± Yds Pts TkA Att Yds TD Y/A FR Att Yds TD Int nY/A
    2004 OAK DC 32 26 29 31 29 30 31 30 31 22 30 7 25 15 30 27 29 31
    2005 OAK DC 32 26 18 26 24 27 25 29 30 25 25 19 8 9 18 9 32 23
    2006 OAK DC 32 32 32 32 26 3 18 27 32 25 23 12 31 1 1 7 10 5
    2007 OAK DC 32 27 28 28 26 22 26 21 28 31 32 32 27 2 8 4 10 29
    2008 OAK DC 32 25 15 28 29 27 24 17 32 31 28 27 20 5 10 14 10 22
    2009 CLE DC 32 25 29 27 32 31 21 31 28 28 19 29 26 15 29 14 29 26
    2010 CLE DC 32 27 15 23 28 22 13 13 29 27 4 12 20 8 18 24 8 27
    2011 DAL DC 32 13 10 12 8 14 16 16 7 7 6 12 14 20 23 16 17 23
    2012 DAL DC 32 15 27 19 10 19 24 28 19 22 26 27 20 5 19 13 31 25
    2013 NOR DC 32 6 14 7 2 4 4 29 6 19 11 28 25 2 2 6 24 7
    2014 NOR DC 32 20 31 20 9 31 28 28 22 29 28 31 30 15 25 17 21 28
    2015 NOR DC 32 17 15 22 18 31 32 19 19 31 20 32 4 9 31 32 26 32

    Edit: FFS, i cannot copy/paste an excel without jacking it all up.
    Last edited by Win4us; 01-31-19 at 05:42 PM.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    “A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.” - George Patton

  15. #15
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    11,711
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default Re: Redskins Hire Rob Ryan as Linebackers Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Win4us View Post
    RR's defenses are all over the place rank wise. There's years where his association with a team were pretty good, yet coupled with some Hazmat type rankings. Meh

    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...es/RyanRo0.htm
    Team's Ranks


    Overall Defense Rushing Def Passing Def
    Year Tm Role Tms WL% T/G Pts± Yds± Yds Pts TkA Att Yds TD Y/A FR Att Yds TD Int nY/A
    2004 OAK DC 32 26 29 31 29 30 31 30 31 22 30 7 25 15 30 27 29 31
    2005 OAK DC 32 26 18 26 24 27 25 29 30 25 25 19 8 9 18 9 32 23
    2006 OAK DC 32 32 32 32 26 3 18 27 32 25 23 12 31 1 1 7 10 5
    2007 OAK DC 32 27 28 28 26 22 26 21 28 31 32 32 27 2 8 4 10 29
    2008 OAK DC 32 25 15 28 29 27 24 17 32 31 28 27 20 5 10 14 10 22
    2009 CLE DC 32 25 29 27 32 31 21 31 28 28 19 29 26 15 29 14 29 26
    2010 CLE DC 32 27 15 23 28 22 13 13 29 27 4 12 20 8 18 24 8 27
    2011 DAL DC 32 13 10 12 8 14 16 16 7 7 6 12 14 20 23 16 17 23
    2012 DAL DC 32 15 27 19 10 19 24 28 19 22 26 27 20 5 19 13 31 25
    2013 NOR DC 32 6 14 7 2 4 4 29 6 19 11 28 25 2 2 6 24 7
    2014 NOR DC 32 20 31 20 9 31 28 28 22 29 28 31 30 15 25 17 21 28
    2015 NOR DC 32 17 15 22 18 31 32 19 19 31 20 32 4 9 31 32 26 32

    Edit: FFS, i cannot copy/paste an excel without jacking it all up.
    You fail at the Interwebz!
    0 2 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  16. #16
    2016 BGO FF Champion
    BGObsessed

    Join Date
    11-18-12
    Location
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Posts
    4,007
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Air Force

    Default Re: Redskins Hire Rob Ryan as Linebackers Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant View Post
    You fail at the Interwebz!
    This is a true statement
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    “A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.” - George Patton

  17. #17
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    11-23-17
    Location
    Bay Area CA
    Posts
    163
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Redskins Hire Rob Ryan as Linebackers Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Wasn’t Ryan the defensive coordinator for two of the patriots Super Bowl wins? I’ll need to double check that, but I think that’s the case.


    Posted With Tapatalk
    I thought he was a pos coach for them, not a DC.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  18. #18

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Posts
    7,733
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Re: Redskins Hire Rob Ryan as Linebackers Coach

    Agree with a lot of what you say Boone.

    However, I do believe that if a team, even the Redskins, build a talented roster that is a "step away" - the good coaches will come. It's too easy a decision to make cuz it has a built-in, renumerative escape clause.

    But can BruDan assemble such a team? The evidence overwhelmingly suggests not.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  19. #19
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    12-12-09
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    1,077
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Redskins Hire Rob Ryan as Linebackers Coach

    "I'm looking forward to being back out there and being around the best of the best players." Rob Ryan.

    If he looking forward to being around the best of the best, why did he sign with Washington? Surely there are other teams with a better set of inside linebackers (Kerrigan excepted) or was it just Washington who wanted to sign him?

    I think he has been told what to say!
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Why should I get out of bed at 4am just to watch us lose?

  20. #20

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    18,437
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    95
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default Re: Redskins Hire Rob Ryan as Linebackers Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by DudeRedskin View Post
    I thought he was a pos coach for them, not a DC.
    My bad - I meant to say that he won two Super Bowls as a linebacker coach for the Pats.


    Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    You ain't bonafide

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-16, 05:57 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-16, 05:10 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-12-15, 01:56 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-15, 01:42 PM
  5. Redskins Name Brian Baker as Outside Linebackers Coach
    By Boone in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-16-14, 03:09 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •