• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Daniel Snyder’s worst decision?

Chris

Ring of Fame
BGO Ownership Group
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
It's nearly the 20th Anniversary of Snyder's purchase of the Washington Redskins. In honor of the moment I thought it would be interesting to see opinions on his single greatest poor decision.

(Yes, I realize that there is an unfathomable amount to choose from. Oy.)

For me, with the passage of time, it was-

Firing Marty Schottenheimer in order to hire Steve Spurrier.

Never tried to create a football culture that demanded accountability(at every level), and allowed for football people to make decisions, independent of the owner.
You can go back to individual moments, like the Marty firing, or the Vinny years, or the Zorn fiasco. It all ties back to a guy who bought an NFL team rich in tradition. A team that he thought he could play fantasy football with. And with each decision he made, sent this team further and further into the abyss. The people he has surrounded himself with have done just as bad, as they are not held to that level of accountability that I stated up front.

So for me it goes back to the moment he bought the team.

Yeah, you hit s a home run on your first swing...firing Marty was his biggest mistake. From there, all other mistakes may not have been made. Sure, it got us a return of Gibbs and that was awesome, but unnecessary. Marty would have brought about winning to this organization. Some say the players did not buy into his hard nosed philosophy...but most of the ones who didn't were prima Dona, overpaid free agents who wanted a paycheck, not to work hard. By the end of his one season, most players had already turned the corner on his tough approach to the game.

2nd biggest would be Jim Zorn.

3rd RG3

The whole selection debacle/comedy leading up to Zorn.

But Vinny C has to rank right up there at the top.

Arrogance.

Snyder came in wanting to help make draft picks and sign free agents and he knew he had no football bona fides.

But he continued to reject hiring a respected personnel chief because he realized the price would be his removal from the War Room.

Snyder in the end could not bring himself to emulate the Patriots, Packers, Steelers, etc way of doing business because it would leave him at the top watching others make the moves and get a lot of the glory.

He didn't buy the Redskins strictly so the team could win.

He bought the team so he could see HIMSELF being recognized as the one who brought the glory back.

After 10 years of failure and unpopularity he finally decided to get out of the limelight and hired Bruce Allen to take the public hits and deal with the fans and media.

Allen then saw the opportunity to carve himself an empire based on his name and based on his ability to isolate Snyder and ‘manage him'.

That's where we are now.

The empire is about to fall. With the Redskins a joke around the league, Allen hated by most of Washington and no one attending the games the cracks are already there.

It's actually poetic justice in a way that Allen and his hires are going to be sticking around for 2019 which is shaping up to be a good bet to be another fourth place NFC East finish with a lot of Sunday indifference.

Not hiring a real football guy to run things. A lot of what we have seen as failures would have been solved by a real football guy. Yes, that guy would have failed some too, but I don't think there would be an overarching cloud of failure over the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, anyone can point to a good GM's record and point to mistakes. Remember how Beathard used to regularly fall flat with his second rounders? :)

But he found a Hall of Fame guard in Round 3 in Russ Grimm, a 4 time pro bowl DE in Round 3 in Charles Mann two years later and a number of 10 year plus starters in Monte Coleman, Raleigh McKenzie, Darryl Grant, in later rounds.

His worst decision was buying the team.

His biggest miscalculation was believing that he could play fantasy football and just cart off SB trophies.

Now that same ego won't let any of his moronic decisions be questioned therefore he's in hiding but still won't sell the team.

What a ****ing idiot.

I don't know what his biggest mistake could be but he refuses to have a good team but he spends $100+ million on a yacht. Go figure!

His worst decision was buying the team.

His biggest miscalculation was believing that he could play fantasy football and just cart off SB trophies.

Now that same ego won't let any of his moronic decisions be questioned therefore he's in hiding but still won't sell the team.

What a ****ing idiot.

Could not agree more. What's worse is knowing we are the F-toys he is doing with no lube, Anybody wanna throw in on a hit man? Err, we should probably take it to a PM from here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.