• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

You are in charge of the Redskins, what do YOU do?

Kel Varnsen

2019 BGO Ballers Champ
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Alma Mater
High Point
I think this will be a fun little exercise. You have been given full control of the Redskins. What would you do?

I know a lot of people will say fire this guy and fire that guy. Cut this guy and that guy. If that's where you want to go, that's fine. But remember when Snyder bought the team, that's what he did. He got rid of his GM and coaching staff within the 1st 2 years. He fired a bunch of other staff and scouts, because he knew better. So if that's where you want to go, that's fine. Just remember that's been tried once before.

As for me, I'm going to go a different directions. Most of these don't have to do with on field personnel as I think these things can be improved to help the franchise overall.

Improve the practice facilities - Make Redskins park state of the art and the best practice facility in the league. I know they've made some improvements over the years, and I doubt they are still working in the technological dark ages of the glory years. But at the same time if the facilities were mind blowing, we would all know it. This is one way I think ownership could spend money on players without violating the salary cap.

Increase the training staff and improve the training facilities - Just like above, make it state of the art. Have a training environment that lengthens players careers. This may help with the injury issue or it may help guys recover, or it may have no affect on who gets injured. But be leaders in medical training and facilities in the NFL> I think this and the previous ones are things that would entice players to play for the Redskins.

Give season ticket holders more benefits - I know Lafemina tried to improve some of that this past year. But that seems like the first time that has happened and of course now he is gone. The benefits needs increased even more and the prices for season tickets lowered. If they want to sell single game tickets like they did this past year, those can be at face value. But there should be value to purchasing season tickets. Long gone are the days where owning season tickets came with prestige. The fans aren't waiting to purchase tickets, so people are fine giving them up and getting them again if the team improves. So do something to make season tickets worth purchasing. I'd suggest a 20 or 25 percent discount for buying season tickets.

Hire a good PR Firm - PR for the Redskins sucks. It seems to get worse every year. Find a good PR firm that will get the positive messages out from the team. No matter what the news is coming from Redskins Park, it seems like the delivery of the message is awful. Even when the team does the right thing, the news is delivered in such an awful way. Hire a firm, not one person who is just a puppet, to help with these things.

Build up the scouting department - Upgrade the scouts and spend more money on scouts. All of the draft picks in the world don't help you if you are picking the wrong guys. This is another area where spending will help you become a better team on the field, without having to sign free agents.

All of these things seem to be places the Redskins are currently lacking. They are also places where Snyder seemed to have taken control of when he bought the team and they became a disaster. Of all of Snyder's mistakes, and we don't need to cover them all again, I think not spending on the peripheral things has really hurt the team a lot more than he or anyone else realized. I'm going to say that he didn't see the value in improving any of these things, because he gets nothing out of this. Hanging out with the training staff or scouts or PR guys isn't as fun as hanging out with your heroes from 10 years ago. And with tickets, there are plenty of stories out this past month where he sees the Redskins as this valuable brand from the 80s and 90s. So why lower the prices.

I knew that would be long, but didn't realize it would be this long.

What are your ideas? What would the BGO community do to improve the Redskins.

Beef up scouting

Audit everything in our training and recovery rooms. Copy one of the healthy teams blueprint on state of the art physical training methods.

The team needs a Tom Coughlin type coach who holds these bastards in check all season. Penalties, missed assignments, multimedia airing of grievances ends yesterday.

FFS put some noise awnings on FedEx, atleast until we can get a new stadium. Encourage fan participation on game day in any way, shape or form. Players need to appreciate who ultimately pays their bills.

I would also research then lay down a unique turf after firing the current field crew. Something along the lines of how Boise State's field is friggin blue, but possibly not so drastic. Gotta be some type of turf that nobody else is using but still within the legal boundaries. Nothing at FedEx gives them a home advantage, gotta be something we can do to the existing stadium.

I start by speaking to the fans and to the NFL world.
I will even take questions from the fans in an open stadium setting.
We take questions for 3-4 hours from our passionate fan base.

Done are the days of dysfunction.
We will make fans proud of attending games and coaches eager to want to coach here.
We will create and clear organizational model that makes accountability clear at all levels.
Smart people at the top is the way you begin.
Everything else will take care of itself.

Kel...not quite the same. Snyder fired those folks because they weren't his hires - and because they weren't producing either. Everything since has been on his watch.

I see nothing but mediocrity for the Redskins until BruDan are gone - so I'm neutral on this. Bottom line, IMO, is they believe they had a playoff caliber offense and unfortunate injuries held them back.

We'll all be back in April, like every year, noting what a good draft we think we had but we won't know for sure until 3 years down the road.

WRR

New England sure seems to win a lot. And it's not just Brady. Marino is proof you gotta have more than a great QB.

Why? The organizartion, it's philosophy and a great HC.

New England sure seems to win a lot. And it's not just Brady. Marino is proof you gotta have more than a great QB.

Why? The organizartion, it's philosophy and a great HC.

I get that. So what do you do? Cleaning house is just a start. What do you do from there? What are some ways this organization can get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First thing I would do is try and find out what was fact, and what was fiction, over the last 20yrs.

There has been, is, and continues to be lots of speculation about what has, and hasn't taken place.
A come to Jesus, true airing of the past, is the best way to exorcise the demons.

Then, STFU about it, and move forward.

Nothing else will matter much until something like that happens.

Bring in over priced free agents every year fire the coach every 2-3 years then rinse and repeat

I get that. So what do you do? Cleaning house is just a start. What do you do from there? What are some ways this organization can get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand the gist of your question.

1. Priority One: commit to building a top 5 defense this year.
2. Priority Two: get the finances/cap under control to move aggressively next year.
3. Priority Three: find a wr this year + one on the roster now who can be incentivised to take it up several notches.
4. Priority Four: find a guard this year + a reserve tackle.
5. Priority Five: everything else roster-wise (including QB) put off to next year.
6. Priroty Six: forge strong running game this year with players on the roster.

Exception: if there's a near-certain all-pro TE available when we draft in the first round - pull the trigger! otherwise, keep to defense preferably CB/Safety or pass-rushing OLB.

Well, one thing I would not do is go out and try to sell a new candidate on my DC position while publicly I still have all the defensive assistants on the payroll.

Jay Gruden is about to get Defensive Coordinator #3 in 4 years.

Here in Washington the names may change but the game remains the same.

For Bruce it's maintain your power at any cost to the business.

A smart owner/CEO would have seen this one coming.

The Redskins remind me of Sears, another famous brand name that hasn't made a smart business decision in 20 years.

Well, one thing I would not do is go out and try to sell a new candidate on my DC position while publicly I still have all the defensive assistants on the payroll.

I don't understand what you're saying here BD?

As far as the DC position, while it may not be a 'good look' for the Redskins, and setting aside how we got to this place, the Skins would be foolish to sweep all their defensive coaches (including Manusky) out without knowing whether they can upgrade. Sucks for Manusky and his coaches, but they are under contract.

Personally, I'm a big believer in dancing with the date you brung. I think all of the coaches deserve getting the full extent of their contract to demonstrate whether or not they can get the job done. I'm not a fan of firing any coach mid-contract.

But for fans calling for a new DC, you cannot (given the current environment) let Manusky and his crew go unless you know you have suitable replacements.

It is what it is.

I don't understand what you're saying here BD?

As far as the DC position, while it may not be a 'good look' for the Redskins, and setting aside how we got to this place, the Skins would be foolish to sweep all their defensive coaches (including Manusky) out without knowing whether they can upgrade. Sucks for Manusky and his coaches, but they are under contract.

Personally, I'm a big believer in dancing with the date you brung. I think all of the coaches deserve getting the full extent of their contract to demonstrate whether or not they can get the job done. I'm not a fan of firing any coach mid-contract.

But for fans calling for a new DC, you cannot (given the current environment) let Manusky and his crew go unless you know you have suitable replacements.

It is what it is.

And while I respect this position, if I were Manusky I would walk. It would mean losing some money, but if I knew they were trying to replace me...I would not sit back and wait.

Totally agree El.

And while I don't think it will happen, I'm hoping for Boone's idea that if Williams is hired, it will mean Gruden is fired, now.
And Williams will pick his own staff.

Totally agree El.

And while I don't think it will happen, I'm hoping for Boone's idea that if Williams is hired, it will mean Gruden is fired, now.
And Williams will pick his own staff.

Yeah, I was discussing Williams as head coach over on twitter a little while ago. Like I mentioned in the other thread, I don't see Williams coming in to interview for the same job he had 10 years ago. He's coming in to sell them on him as the HC. I hope this is the case, and I hope he hires a top notch OC!

Agreed. I was thinking maybe the Wilks interview was also for HC, covering the Rooney rule.

But I won't get my hopes up.

Much.

Williams decided to sign with the Jets as the DC. Awkward City for both Gruden and Manusky. Holy shit, this FO is a disaster.

Another thing I would do instantly is:

No more homecoming games. No more greats of years past, to be brought in and celebrated.
No more feel good stories.

No more reasons to applaud anything but what needs to be, which is good play on the field.

If and when we start to see sustained success, then the Redskins' greats can be brought in and celebrated.

UNTIL THEN. NO

Yeah, I was discussing Williams as head coach over on twitter a little while ago. Like I mentioned in the other thread, I don't see Williams coming in to interview for the same job he had 10 years ago. He's coming in to sell them on him as the HC. I hope this is the case, and I hope he hires a top notch OC!

You know, Williams may have just dropped by to make nicey nice - to set up a jump next off-season.

You know, Williams may have just dropped by to make nicey nice - to set up a jump next off-season.

OK, that would still support the assertion that Williams is coming here to discuss the HC position, not DC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.