• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Mr. Snyder - Your Rude Awakening is STILL Calling...

Ax, you seem to purposely misread what I posted.

My point is Cooke hired BOBBY BEATHARD and allowed Bobby to hire the head coach who ended up being Gibbs.

Otherwise Cooke would have had no idea there even was a Joe Gibbs out there to be hired.

And he was smart enough to admit that to himself.

Snyder doesn't have that sense of awareness. He thinks he and Bruce can get on a plane and watch Griffin play in a college game or two and then trade a generation of draft picks to select him and think all will be well.

That is simply delusional.
No, my brother. We're both just focused on our own points. Mine being that luck played a large part in Cooke's success here.
Beathard was a good hire. But even he didn't have the same success, before or after, his time here. People have put Beathard on some mythical pedestal that even he would find absurd. Sure, he made an educated decision in hiring Gibbs, and it paid off. Why didn't his brilliance allow him to do it again? How come every draft pick he made didn't wind up in the HOF.

Cooke hired Pardee didn't he? Where was his great football mind then? Where was his otherworldly ownership wisdom? He fired him pretty quick too. Kinda, Snyderlike, if you will.
Then the lucky old coot hit it big when the guy he hired, hired the guy that saved us all. Of course, Petitbon was here before Gibbs. Gibbs didn't hire him. So, Gibbs got lucky too, at the outset.
But I contend that Gibbs was more important than either Cooke, or Beathard. Hell, Cooke wanted to fire him after his 0-5 start. You know, Snyderlike. Luckily, Beathard convinced him otherwise. But Cooke's mythical ownership instincts were wrong. He was saved from himself.

After Gibbs left, with Beathard already gone, losing the internal battle to Gibbs, Cooke promoted Petitbon. Then, in another Snyderlike move, he fired him after 1 season. Only to hire Norval Friggin Turner. Where was all the otherworldly football knowledge then?

Look, I hate to sound like I'm shitting on Cooke and Beathard. And I hate sounding like I'm some sort of starry eyed Snyder groupie.
But Cooke and Snyder had more similarities than some care to acknowledge. Winning and losing being the biggest difference.

And I contend that luck, both good and bad, played a major part of it.

Ax...there's a problem with your argument. Arguing it all boils down to luck is the same as claiming it's all due to chance. But even chance has a predictable distrisbution. And chance is not the only variable.

Ax...there's a problem with your argument. Arguing it all boils down to luck is the same as claiming it's all due to chance. But even chance has a predictable distrisbution. And chance is not the only variable.

You are correct. Except I never said it was ALL luck.

Ax, Beathard was the player personnel director for a Dolphins team that went to 3 straight Super Bowls before he came to Washington.

That success is what lead Cooke to engage him to come here as GM.

Likewise in LA Cooke was the one that hired Jerry West to be the GM. And it was West that then built one of the greatest dynasties in NBA history.

That seems like the actions of an owner that is good at sizing people up.

Is anyone 100% right? No.

But Cooke managed to do it in two major sports over time.

I get all that Bulldog.

And if they were around today, nothing would really be different. As long as they won.

I'd pay good money to read your dissection of many of Beathard's drafting moves, if the team didn't win.
But they won, mostly because of Joe Gibbs, IMHO. So, all was well.
It doesn't matter what you do, so long as it works. There's nothing that winning can't absorb.
When it doesn't work, every molehill is a mountain. And whoever is seen as the problem, can't be criticized enough.

That's just the way it goes.

I think the one thing we ALL underestimate the impact of is the quality of the guys that those respective front offices chose to populate their rosters with. During the Gibbs years, it was never just about draft rankings or popular sentiment. You look at the guys who made the most critical plays at key moments during the SB runs during the Gibbs years ... many of them wouldn't have been on other NFL rosters. They were often no-names, UDFAs, over-achievers who had no buzz coming into the league. Beathard and Gibbs found guys that loved football, excelled despite their modest pedigrees, and when they had enough of those kinds of guys, the Skins began to win, to expect to win, and to find ways to win.

That's really the difference.

They didn't hold onto the Jordan Reeds, the Samaje Perine's, the *insert under-achieving Redskins player name here*...

They rewarded effort and heart and production. Period.

We don't.

@Bulldog has asserted this fact over and over again over the years. And you know what? He is exactly right.

Hot dogs like Josh Norman would be here a short time if they were acquired in the first place.

Funny how Brucie is so cheap with sims contracts but then gives Norman and Smith more than anyone else would have.

I get all that Bulldog.

And if they were around today, nothing would really be different. As long as they won.

I'd pay good money to read your dissection of many of Beathard's drafting moves, if the team didn't win.
But they won, mostly because of Joe Gibbs, IMHO. So, all was well.
It doesn't matter what you do, so long as it works. There's nothing that winning can't absorb.
When it doesn't work, every molehill is a mountain. And whoever is seen as the problem, can't be criticized enough.

That's just the way it goes.

The comment about what flows from winnig has merit.

But winning doesn't occur randomly.

"They ran the table that season and part of it was luck - no one was injured." Looks ok until one examines it.
- How does one quantify this?
- Is there some dividing line? X injuries and you're unlucky, but X-1 you're not?
- Does it mean other teams suffered more injuries?
- Does it only apply to key players?

Does lucky become unlucky by chance or lack of preparation or anticipation?

It's an easy fallback and admittedly we all use it. I don't know if that suffices for an explanation.

Anywho, I'm a believer in the ole saw "you make your own luck."

On to new controversies!!!

Right now I seriously am hoping for hundreds of paper bag wearing fans on opening day.
Unless we hear something positive from Allen or Snyder, I don't see myself changing my opinion here.

Such arrogant bastards.

That would mean people are still filling Snyders wallet. The stadium needs to be empty

That would mean people are still filling Snyders wallet. The stadium needs to be empty

Well, it'll never be empty. It'll be at least a third full of opposing fans. More when teams from the rustbelt or within short driving distances are playing.

All those rabbitts' feet and four leaf covers perennial contenders like the Steelers,Pats,Chiefs,Saints etc. have stockpiled at their facilities must be a sight to behold!

Well, it'll never be empty. It'll be at least a third full of opposing fans. More when teams from the rustbelt or within short driving distances are playing.

I know. And as I said, it's still revenue for Lord Farquuad whether it's a Skins fans butt in the seat or some other teams. But if Skins fans quit buying season tickets or getting tickets and later putting them on Stub Hub et al, it'll drain the coffers. Since the danny is unwilling to change, it's time to boycott the stadium.

I know. And as I said, it's still revenue for Lord Farquuad whether it's a Skins fans butt in the seat or some other teams. But if Skins fans quit buying season tickets or getting tickets and later putting them on Stub Hub et al, it'll drain the coffers. Since the danny is unwilling to change, it's time to boycott the stadium.

As long as there's tv money and revenue sharing, you're never hurting Danny boy..........

As long as there's tv money and revenue sharing, you're never hurting Danny boy..........

Oh, that will always save him, and that's one of the reasons he really doesn't care about producing a winner. He enjoys the streams of revenue that he had no hand whatsoever in creating. But an empty stadium full of opposing teams fans sitting in 5 dollar lower bowl seats will take a chunk out of his hide. Not to mention the shitty optics it provides on TV

The solution here is pretty clear. Snyder has 3 children. He's never going to sell.

That means fans need to force him to move the team to another city.

Boycott all games and all merchandise. I live in Florida and only attended one game in each of the last two seasons, but won't attend any next year.

Get him to move this crapfest to another city, and then replace this miserable ownership with a better organization like the Chargers 12 months later.

That's the only answer to flush the toilet once and for all.

The solution here is pretty clear. Snyder has 3 children. He's never going to sell.

That means fans need to force him to move the team to another city.

Boycott all games and all merchandise. I live in Florida and only attended one game in each of the last two seasons, but won't attend any next year.

Get him to move this crapfest to another city, and then replace this miserable ownership with a better organization like the Chargers 12 months later.

That's the only answer to flush the toilet once and for all.

That will never happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.