• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Brian Orakpo Retires

Elephant

The Commissioner
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
I know he retires as a Titan, but he spent his 1st 6 seasons here. He gave a lot to this team, playing the majority of his time here out of position...and played it well. He got a raw deal, forced to play OLB in the 3-4.

His career took a turn for the worse after his 1st pectoral tear, but he did have a few decent years in Nashville.

Anyway, I want to congratulate the young man on a fine career. Best of luck on your retirement.

Here are a few images I took of him over the years.

DSC_9175.jpgDSC_2696.jpgDSC_9193.jpgDSC_7603.jpgN3H_1805.jpgDSC_9175.jpgDSC_0442.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_8423.jpg
    DSC_8423.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
It all puts our efforts to find an edge rusher who can dominate into perspective.

#1 in 2009 for Orakpo.

#1 in 2011 for Kerrigan.

#2 in 2014 for Trent Murphy.

#2 in 2015 for Preston Smith.

That's a HELLUVA lot of resources put into the position over the years and still no budding Khalil Mack or younger Michael Bennett on the horizon.

E..not sure the last picture relates to Brian...but I like it. :)

Can't complain about Orapko...........he was a pure businessman when it came to playing. I hate the fact the fact he go injured for us, but I respected him even when it happened.

In terms of business, players have been taking the Redskins to the cleaners for years.

From the Deion Sanders signing to the present day Snyder has consistently failed to get value out of the money that he has spent and apparently doesn't care because the TV money is so good.

We paid Kirk Cousins $44M to produce 9-7 and 8-7-1 seasons while Tom Brady was making less to win Super Bowls.

All of that once again because Bruce and Jay thought we were ‘close' and refused to trade Kirk's rights for valuable future picks.

In terms of business, players have been taking the Redskins to the cleaners for years.

From the Deion Sanders signing to the present day Snyder has consistently failed to get value out of the money that he has spent and apparently doesn't care because the TV money is so good.

We paid Kirk Cousins $44M to produce 9-7 and 8-7-1 seasons while Tom Brady was making less to win Super Bowls.

All of that once again because Bruce and Jay thought we were ‘close' and refused to trade Kirk's rights for valuable future picks.

OK, so what about Ryan Kerrigan, Trent William, Chris Samuels, Clinton Portis, Alfred Morris, Chris Cooley? There are handfuls of others. You are mostly correct, but Snyder has gotten value from many players.

I would say that in 20 years and hundreds of player transactions the fact Snyder's organization can point to 10-20 guys that turned out to be productive citizens and good draft picks doesn't move the needle for me.

What I would say about some of those players though is they weren't necessarily cheap or 'value' picks.

Chris Samuels was the #3 overall pick and SHOULD be a player you plug in for 8-10 years on the OL. Even consistently bad teams like the Browns are able to find a Joe Thomas in the draft once in awhile picking high.

Clinton Portis was a productive back, no question. But the compensation to acquire him, namely a 27 year old pro bowl corner AND a #2 pick was too much. In that regard it wasn't a value trade. We paid through the nose for a player who played well for us. But we didn't get any discounts.

I also think over the years we paid Ryan Kerrigan and Chris Cooley 'A' money when they were in fact mostly 'B' grade players on the field year to year.

Kerrigan at this point of his career is overpaid. Has been for the past couple of years. He no longer helps to set the edge vs. the run and he can't cover at all. He has the speed of a down lineman while trying to play OLB. He can dominate the occasional matchups with weak OTs as he did in games against the Giants and Jags this season but when the Redskins are playing New Orleans, Dallas or Philly he never seems to be much of a factor. Those teams run right at him.

It was funny how fast we drafted him when we were on the clock that year.

Like LaVar, Orakpo was an imposing presence and came in with all the hype and measurables.

He looked like he was going to be a real disruptor.

Orakpo never developed a set of pass rush moves and relied on the bull rush.

Then he got hurt and hurt again with the pec.

ok Boone...what picture did you edit out?

I was trying to edit out a cheerleader pic but software was giving me fits. We were blackballed by Google for cheerleader pics a few years ago - ridiculous but that's why we try to keep pics of attractive females off the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was trying to edit out a cheerleader pic but software was giving me fits. We were blackballed by Google for cheerleader pics a few years ago - ridiculous but that's why we try to keep pics of attractive females off the site.

You want me to edit it out?

It's fine :)

he was one of the players hurt the most by the absolutely moronic switch to a 3-4. he was a very solid redskin who made plays and played hard.

His best season came from the 3-4

His best season came from the 3-4

he was a very good End in the 4-3 which is his natural position, both he and andre carter were prototype 4-3 ends who looked like they would be physically suited to 3-4 OLB but neither of them was actually very good at playing in space. statistically rak put up some numbers but if you look at his rushing numbers his attempts at pass rushing with presuures, hits knockdowns and sacks, he actually didn't do as well as it might first appear.

the reason the 3-4 was such an epic team destroying fail, was we had a surplus of 4-3 ends, a couple very good 4-3 dt's and all our linebackers at the time were sideline flow guys, none of them suited to the 3-4. so we literally took what was becoming a strength and made it a weakness

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.