• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2019

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

Even if they promote Kyle to GM, I get this weird feeling the Bruce will still want the final say in all acquisitions.

Man, wouldn't that suck if the Rams or 49ers took him.

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

Even if they promote Kyle to GM, I get this weird feeling the Bruce will still want the final say in all acquisitions.

Man, wouldn't that suck if the Rams or 49ers took him.

In a word: Yes!

Kyle Smith looks to be a big factor in some positive movement. Then again, is there anything Cooley doesn't think he 'knows' with 100% certainty?

Taken with a grain of salt.

But it has been known that Smith and Schaffer want to be a GM. I say give Eric full control of football ops with the title of President and give Kyle the title of GM. Let both of them have an equal say of the roster. Doug could be the one who breaks any stalemates.

Kyle Smith looks to be a big factor in some positive movement. Then again, is there anything Cooley doesn't think he 'knows' with 100% certainty?

He has better access than anyone on this board. There was a time I wasn't a big Cooley fan. But he's always careful to qualify what he says with "this is just my opinion". He obviously is at his best when it comes to the technical aspects of football.

In everyone's defense: predicting this FO's future is a fool's errand. It has a track record reaching over several decades of spanning the gamut from the absurd/blatantly stupid to the rational. That, of course, speaks to leadership. Specifically the head honcho. Smart marketing guy. By all appearances, not a good leader.

So - it's not that I don't like Cooley. He was a snarky, know-it-all as a player (I had the chance to interview him a couple of times and, to be honest, he was more or less a jerk). And I also tire of fans who reference him as if he is the greatest GM of all time.It's easy to spout grand opinions and criticize coaches and the front office when you have zero accountability for decisions. But yeah, he's smart, he's connected, and he's knowledgeable.

All that meaning I may not be able to have an objective opinion about him :) I did notice on his most recent podcast that he was backtracking pretty significantly on his initial criticism of the Haskins pick, and spent a lot of time expressing how much he hoped Haskins would be a success. I don't know if that's because he felt the heat from fans, a lot of whom got in a twist because he immediately rained on their parade, or a genuine effort to give a more balanced take on the guy. But I did notice it.

All that meaning I may not be able to have an objective opinion about him :) I did notice on his most recent podcast that he was backtracking pretty significantly on his initial criticism of the Haskins pick, and spent a lot of time expressing how much he hoped Haskins would be a success. I don't know if that's because he felt the heat from fans, a lot of whom got in a twist because he immediately rained on their parade, or a genuine effort to give a more balanced take on the guy. But I did notice it.

Don't know. His thoughts on Haskins' pocket movement and response/flexibility under pressure - I have read same on-line elsewhere. Hopefully, all the QBs hangin out at Redskin Park will school him well.

His lack of speed will have some impacts: fewer rollouts (a not uncommon playcall down by the goalline); LBs/DEs not having to worry about a mobile QB and therefore playing tighter assignments; less threat of QB run inside the 10; more sacks; more rushes. Brady has a similar limitation, so smarts, quick decision-making and accuracy can overcome a physical limitation DC's can exploit.

One thing is for sure: if the Skins don't develop a top 5 pass blocking O-line we are in for a rough hide. My opinion, of course.

Don't know. His thoughts on Haskins' pocket movement and response/flexibility under pressure - I have read same on-line elsewhere. Hopefully, all the QBs hangin out at Redskin Park will school him well.

His lack of speed will have some impacts: fewer rollouts (a not uncommon playcall down by the goalline); LBs/DEs not having to worry about a mobile QB and therefore playing tighter assignments; less threat of QB run inside the 10; more sacks; more rushes. Brady has a similar limitation, so smarts, quick decision-making and accuracy can overcome a physical limitation DC's can exploit.

One thing is for sure: if the Skins don't develop a top 5 pass blocking O-line we are in for a rough hide. My opinion, of course.

Like Cooley - I've watched every second of every snap in the 2018 season. Haskins actually has pretty good pocket awareness and slides around pretty well. Could he improve? Of course. The 'footwork' criticism is more based on him throwing without his feet fully set. He's got a great arm and got away with it at Ohio State. It's a legit question to ask whether he can get away with it at the NFL level. And even if the answer was 'mostly yes' - why would you not want to work on better footwork. I think it's also going to be more important at the NFL level because he's going to be operating mostly under center. But as far as sensing and eluding the pass rush, he's better than most NFL QBs I've seen. It's a non-issue.

On the 'response to pressure' stuff, I'm not discounting it entirely. Again - what QB doesn't need to get better at recognizing and operating under pressure? But in addition to completing 70% of his passes, I think he threw 22 of his gazillion TD passes under heavy pressure. You don't hear that mentioned though. All you hear is 'he doesn't handle pressure well'. He was rarely intercepted, so that means (almost by definition) that his 'poor reaction' to pressure was getting rid of it. I'm not sure having some incomplete passes that sailed over receivers or hit the ground is really the negative it's being made out to be. He rarely threw a pick and didn't get sacked an inordinate #of times. AND he hit on 70% of his passes. Good Lord - what more do we want out of a guy?

He has to do it at the NFL level. He's not slow. He's not unathletic. Those are mischaracterizations. He isn't a running QB like Jones or Drew Lock. That's not a bad thing. But he operated in a shotgun offense where he had to move, either to pass or dish off the ball, and he did extremely well.

Where he will really have to grow is learning to play under center, making play calls under center, and making adjustments under center based on what the defense shows, or based on previous game film study. He hasn't had to do a lot of that. But I think the reason we are hearing a lot of positive stuff from the coaches is that they're already seeing he CAN do it.

Agree on the OL. We added some talent there but I'm still concerned about some of the vets ability to stay on the field. But there are two things that might bode well for Haskins. First of all, he really does make quick decisions and gets rid of the ball. Secondly, he's going to have a pretty damn good RB stable behind him that's going to put defenses in a challenging position with a very accurate QB and RBs that have to be respected. Those two factors can make a borderline OL look a lot better.

Taken with a grain of salt.

But it has been known that Smith and Schaffer want to be a GM. I say give Eric full control of football ops with the title of President and give Kyle the title of GM. Let both of them have an equal say of the roster. Doug could be the one who breaks any stalemates.

I like this idea. But if they both want to be GM, can we keep them both happy and keep them ?

And are they equally valuable ?
If we lose one to another team, can we promote the other one, and still be in good shape ?
I guess it may not be so simple as that, since I assume Smith and Schaffer have different skill sets.

Last edited:

Rooting for this guy to make the roster, more than anyone.
He opened up crazy holes for the running game last preseason.
If you watch this video, and don't become a fan, then you have a stone for a soul.

How about some Bryce Love highlights?

Haskins is a massively sized quarterback.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.