• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2019

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

who is Tyler Murray?

* 6F362BED-0A51-46E5-B0F9-D4F03FE3033C.jpg*

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2019​

Greetings from BBQ to everyone in BGO land and guests from social media – we hope you become a member here.

The 2019 NFL draft is just under four months away, but it will be here before you know it. It's a bit early in the process, but we do have a few ideas what the team needs in late April. The process of team building never ends and BBQ is about to take a look at what could happen later this spring.

Will BBQ match or surpass the success that it had with the 2018 mocks? It will be difficult and very challenging, but it is a task that we embrace. With that kind of success, we truly believe it helps the members of BGO to focus on the players who are prospects that the Redskins are seeking. It feels good to provide everyone here with the kind of service you expect from BBQ.

We will feature two mocks each week – one that features a successful return of quarterback Alex Smith and one that features him not returning. This mock has him returning successfully from his injury.

Without any further delays, let's take our latest look at the 2019 draft with this mock.

Round One: Noah Fant, TE, Iowa
Do you want playmakers? Ok, Noah Fant is the best tight end in this draft and it is not even close. Imagine a stronger, bigger, taller, and talented Jordan Reed. Fant is that and so much more. Excellent receiver. Able to win “jump balls” in the end zone. Runs most of the tree routes. Very effective blocker. Easily creates separation from linebackers, safeties, and slot corners. An absolute nightmare for defensive coordinators.

Other Possible Picks:
Cody Ford, G/OT, Oklahoma
Montez Sweat, Edge/OLB, Mississippi St.
Clelin Ferrell, OLB, Clemson
A.J. Brown, WR, Mississippi
Jachai Polite, Edge/OLB, Florida
Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio St.
Daniel Jones, QB, Duke

Round Two: J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, WR, Stanford
Arcega-Whiteside could be the most accomplished receiver prospect in the 2019 draft. He has elite skills and is simply a master at all of the tree routes. Routinely makes incredible catches. A true highlight reel. Ability to separate from defenders on a regular basis. A powerful red zone target – fades and slants are a specialty. Long strides give him an advantage over safeties. Often gains good yardage after the catch.

Other Possible Picks:
D.K. Metcalf, WR, Mississippi
Brett Rypien, QB, Boise St.
Rashan Gary, DE/OLB, Michigan
Kelvin Harmon, WR, North Carolina St.
Jaquan Johnson, SS, Miami
Jalen Jelks, OLB, Oregon
Will Grier, QB, West Virginia
Riley Ridley, WR, Georgia
Nasir Adderley, SS/FS, Delaware

Round Three: Juan Thornhill, SS, Virginia
D.J. Swearinger alienated coaches and players alike in recent weeks and the Redskins released him. Juan Thornhill can step in on day one and be even better than Swearinger. Thornhill is a smart and savvy player at strong safety. He has good size, speed, and the intangibles to excel at the next level.

Other Possible Picks:
Caleb Wilson, TE, UCLA
J.R. Reed, SS, Georgia
Hakeem Butler, WR, Iowa St.
Germaine Pratt, ILB, North Carolina St.
Chris Lindstrom, OG, Boston College
Connor McGovern, OC/OG, Penn St.
David Sills, WR, West Virginia
Jace Sternberger, TE, Texas A&M

Round Three (Comp Pick): Easton Stick, QB, North Dakota St.
Easton Stick has been steadily rising on draft boards for several months now and for good reasons. He's a winner and there have been a few whispers that Stick is a better prospect than another Bison product – Carson Wentz. Comparisons aside, Stick can make all the throws accurately. He is also accurate on the run. Consistently goes through his progressions quickly. NDSU utilizes a pro-style system. Very good mechanics. Solid pocket passer, but can effectively scramble when needed.

Round Five: Max Scharping, OT/OG, Northern Illinois
Max Scharping is a good tackle, but he has the skills and traits that will likely move him to the inside at the next level. A bit too stiff to play tackle in the NFL, but would be much better inside. Good in pass protection. Good in the rushing offense. Would need a year in the league in order to adjust to the next level. Could be a reliable left guard after learning the position. Excellent size. Smart player and quick learner – with such traits, he could be a starter by mid-season.

Other Possible Picks:
Yodny Cajuste, OT, West Virginia
Darrell Henderson, RB, Memphis
Dawson Knox, TE, Mississippi
Juwan Johnson, WR, Penn St.
Tyree Jackson, QB, Buffalo
Isaac Nauta, TE, Georgia
Lester Cotton, OG, Alabama

Round Five (Comp Pick): Corbin Kaufusi, DE, Brigham Young
Kaufusi is a bit raw, but has a ton of potential. He stands 6'9” and weighs in at 285. He can add bulk to his frame and be a true defensive end or play edge. He's strong, powerful, deceptively quick, and would likely need a year to adjust to the NFL. Kaufusi has a 6'1” sister who can likely out-lift you with considerable ease – tallness and strength runs in the family. Matt Ioannidis was a fifth round selection. Can lightning strike twice?

Round Six (Comp Pick): Olamide Zaccheaus, WR, Virginia
How would you like a receiver who has running back skills and combines his talents to look like a Larry Centers and Chris Thompson type of player? Highly underrated. Lack of height will hurt him in the draft (5'8”, 200), but he has the speed and power to be a much more durable player than Thompson. He has been the leading receiver for Virginia over the years.

Other Possible Picks:
Joe Dineen, ILB, Kansas
Jonathan Ledbetter, DE, Georgia
Emanuel Hall, WR, Missouri
Carl Granderson, OLB, Wyoming
Kingsley Keke, DE/DT, Texas A&M
Wes Hills, RB, Slippery Rock

Round Seven: Ului Lapuaho, OT, BYU
It's no secret that Ty Nsekhe struggled this past season in backup duty and will be in his mid-thirties this year. Ului Lapuaho at 6'7”, 330 is similar in size to Nsekhe and would bring a youthful infusion to the tackles. Hailing from the state of Utah, the massive lineman has served his Mormon mission (Australia) and is likely ready to be a quality backup at the next level.

Other Possible Picks:
Jaylen Smith, WR, Louisville
Olive Sagapolu, DT, Wisconsin
Qadree Ollison, RB, Pittsburgh
Nate Herbig, OG, Stanford
Daylon Mack, DT, Texas A&M
Eric Dungey, QB, Syracuse
Kendall Blanton, TE, Missouri

In Conclusion
The extra sixth round comp pick that the Redskins had recently was surrendered when Terrelle Pryor was released late in the season by the Jets. The extra seventh rounder that the Redskins were projected to receive will not happen due to the NFL's Rule of 32. As a result, the Redskins will now receive only three comp picks in the 2019 draft (3rd, 5th, 6th). When free agency opens, the changes to the roster will also have an effect on the draft. Mocks in January look much different than mocks in the spring. For now, we can only speculate based on current team needs and performance to date.

There is your first of two mocks today. We will have another mock coming within the hour. The mocks will continue to be posted this winter and early spring, then the volume of mocks will increase as we get closer to the draft.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2019​

Greetings from BBQ to everyone in BGO land and guests from social media – we hope you become a member here.

The 2019 NFL draft is just under four months away, but it will be here before you know it. It's a bit early in the process, but we do have a few ideas what the team needs in late April. The process of team building never ends and BBQ is about to take a look at what could happen later this spring.

Will BBQ match or surpass the success that it had with the 2018 mocks? It will be difficult and very challenging, but it is a task that we embrace. With that kind of success, we truly believe it helps the members of BGO to focus on the players who are prospects that the Redskins are seeking. It feels good to provide everyone here with the kind of service you expect from BBQ.

We will feature two mocks each week – one that features a successful return of quarterback Alex Smith and one that features him not returning. This mock has him not returning – whether it be by PUP, IR, or forced retirement.

Without any further delays, let's take our latest look at the 2019 draft with this mock.

Round One: Jachai Polite, Edge/OLB, Florida
Jachai Polite the Elite. He is truly elite and will have an immediate impact opposite Ryan Kerrigan. Good speed. Takes several angles towards the quarterback. A likely double digit sack edge rusher in his first year. Big and strong at 6'2”, 260. Deceptive moves can throw a left tackle off at times. He does have a bull rush, but relies more on the way he moves. Very good spin moves. Solid body control and excellent mental focus. Highly competitive at all times.

Other Possible Picks:
Cody Ford, G/OT, Oklahoma
Clelin Ferrell, OLB, Clemson
A.J. Brown, WR, Mississippi
Montez Sweat, Edge/OLB, Mississippi St.
Jachai Polite, Edge/OLB, Florida
Noah Fant, TE, Iowa
Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio St.
Daniel Jones, QB, Duke

Round Two: J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, WR, Stanford
Arcega-Whiteside could be the most accomplished receiver prospect in the 2019 draft. He has elite skills and is simply a master at all of the tree routes. Routinely makes incredible catches. A true highlight reel. Ability to separate from defenders on a regular basis. A powerful red zone target – fades and slants are a specialty. Long strides give him an advantage over safeties. Often gains good yardage after the catch.

Other Possible Picks:
D.K. Metcalf, WR, Mississippi
Rashan Gary, DE/OLB, Michigan
Kelvin Harmon, WR, North Carolina St.
Jaquan Johnson, SS, Miami
Brett Rypien, QB, Boise St.
Jalen Jelks, OLB, Oregon
Will Grier, QB, West Virginia
Nasir Adderley, SS/FS, Delaware

Round Three: Juan Thornhill, SS, Virginia
D.J. Swearinger alienated coaches and players alike in recent weeks and the Redskins released him. Juan Thornhill can step in on day one and be even better than Swearinger. Thornhill is a smart and savvy player at strong safety. He has good size, speed, and the intangibles to excel at the next level.

Other Possible Picks:
Caleb Wilson, TE, UCLA
J.R. Reed, SS, Georgia
Hakeem Butler, WR, Iowa St.
Germaine Pratt, ILB, North Carolina St.
Chris Lindstrom, OG, Boston College
Connor McGovern, OC/OG, Penn St.
David Sills, WR, West Virginia
Jace Sternberger, TE, Texas A&M

Round Three (Comp Pick): Easton Stick, QB, North Dakota St.
Easton Stick has been steadily rising on draft boards for several months now and for good reasons. He's a winner and there have been a few whispers that Stick is a better prospect than another Bison product – Carson Wentz. Comparisons aside, Stick can make all the throws accurately. He is also accurate on the run. Consistently goes through his progressions quickly. NDSU utilizes a pro-style system. Very good mechanics. Solid pocket passer, but can effectively scramble when needed.

Round Five: Isaac Nauta, TE, Georgia
Jordan Reed can't stay healthy for an entire season it seems and Vernon Davis could be a cap casualty. Isaac Nauta is a solid route runner who can stretch the field. Dependable receiver. Blue collar type of worker who is an effective blocker in the rushing offense and on screens and downfield passes. Has the ability to leave linebackers in his dust. Has the ability to separate from slot corners.

Other Possible Picks:
Yodny Cajuste, OT, West Virginia
Darrell Henderson, RB, Memphis
Corbin Kaufusi, DE, Brigham Young
Dawson Knox, TE, Mississippi
Max Scharping, OT/OG, Northern Illinois
Juwan Johnson, WR, Penn St.
Tyree Jackson, QB, Buffalo
Lester Cotton, OG, Alabama

Round Five (Comp Pick): Max Scharping, OT/OG, Northern Illinois
Max Scharping is a good tackle, but he has the skills and traits that will likely move him to the inside at the next level. A bit too stiff to play tackle in the NFL, but would be much better inside. Good in pass protection. Good in the rushing offense. Would need a year in the league in order to adjust to the next level. Could be a reliable left guard after learning the position. Excellent size. Smart player and quick learner – with such traits, he could be a starter by mid-season.

Round Six (Comp Pick): Olamide Zaccheaus, WR, Virginia
How would you like a receiver who has running back skills and combines his talents to look like a Larry Centers and Chris Thompson type of player? Highly underrated. Lack of height will hurt him in the draft (5'8”, 200), but he has the speed and power to be a much more durable player than Thompson. He has been the leading receiver for Virginia over the years.

Other Possible Picks:
Joe Dineen, ILB, Kansas
Jonathan Ledbetter, DE, Georgia
Emanuel Hall, WR, Missouri
Carl Granderson, OLB, Wyoming
Kingsley Keke, DE/DT, Texas A&M
Wes Hills, RB, Slippery Rock

Round Seven: Ului Lapuaho, OT, BYU
It's no secret that Ty Nsekhe struggled this past season in backup duty and will be in his mid-thirties this year. Ului Lapuaho at 6'7”, 330 is similar in size to Nsekhe and would bring a youthful infusion to the tackles. Hailing from the state of Utah, the massive lineman has served his Mormon mission (Australia) and is likely ready to be a quality backup at the next level.

Other Possible Picks:
Jaylen Smith, WR, Louisville
Olive Sagapolu, DT, Wisconsin
Qadree Ollison, RB, Pittsburgh
Nate Herbig, OG, Stanford
Daylon Mack, DT, Texas A&M
Eric Dungey, QB, Syracuse
Kendall Blanton, TE, Missouri

The extra sixth round comp pick that the Redskins had recently was surrendered when Terrelle Pryor was released late in the season by the Jets. As a result of that transaction, the Redskins will now receive only three comp picks in the 2019 draft (3rd, 5th, 6th). When free agency opens, the changes to the roster will also have an effect on the draft. Mocks in January look much different than mocks in the spring. For now, we can only speculate based on current team needs and performance to date.

There is your second mock today. We will have two mocks again next Friday. The mocks will continue to be posted this winter and early spring, then the volume of mocks will increase as we get closer to the draft.

Last edited:

I largely agree with this selection.

However I would be in favor of releasing a number of vets and waiting until having a top pick in 2020 before taking a quarterback.

Finishing 8-7-1, 7-9 and 7-9 the past three years and in the vice of mediocrity there is no barrier for me to admit we need an organizational reset.

And with Smith's cap hit to work off NOW is the time.

I can't argue that logic. We'll see what happens in March when free agency starts and that will certainly alter the mocks. We may have more info about Alex Smith at that time.

My promise to each of you here is to keep the in-season and off-season blogs going and continue to give the kind of service you deserve.

Today's news is disheartening, but the work must go on. I'll try to improve on both products each year and give the very best of what I have to share.

Besides, where else am I going to hear about grilling, good recipes, and dieting (yeah, ok)?

Love ya, guys.

It's feels like a damn funeral.

My 87 year old father called me and told me he is done watching the Snyder/Allen Redskins.

He says it's a waste of 3 hours.

This from a man that had tickets from 1975 through the early 2000's when he stopped working altogether.

This is really getting ugly.

How ****ing stupid is Snyder? Redskins fans want to believe, and it's within his powers to make them believe. I swear to God, if I could sit in Snyder's office for one day and be him, I guarantee you I could give a 1 hour press conference and Q&A and by the end of it, put all this drama to rest.

Even if all I did was to discuss why I'm sticking with Bruce Allen and Gruden and how the org believes they are going to turn this around, fans want to believe, and they would respect that there is some kind of a plan in place. It might even start the tiniest seed that could grow into a begrudging respect and support.

It might not make fans trust Bruce Allen, but for God's sake if you are hell bound and determined not to make major changes, explain it to the folks that have been lifelong fans. That's the absolute least he should do. But

He.
Will.
Not.
Do.
It.

The fact that this guy is so stupid he can't even see that's the way to go is literally mind-boggling. He's got to have the worst advisors in history, or he is incapable of taking advice.

The only other explanation is that he's as arrogant and evil as the media makes him out to be. He's pushing even the most ardent and homeristic fans towards that position.

Chase Roullier played every down this season and was absolutely solid.

After having dissected so much video during the course of the season with at least a dozen pundits, then examining positions via podcasts with said pundits, and then analyzing tons of reports, I fail to see why anyone would have a problem with Roullier.

He endured ten guard changes on each side and periodic tackle changes. The one constant was Chase Roullier.

Sorry BB just noticed this. I'm definitely glad he could be our Center for years to come. I read a few mock draft sites who claimed he played subpar, and was going off that and the fact we have buku guards that rotate to center.

I'll take a solid QB/C combo any day. Maybe Haskins could be our Mahomes, & elevate us out of the slums.

Haslett fired in Cincinnati.

I know @Win4us is gonna wanna make a strike to get him

;)

Don't you put that shit on me Ricky Bobby!!!!

Sorry BB just noticed this. I'm definitely glad he could be our Center for years to come. I read a few mock draft sites who claimed he played subpar, and was going off that and the fact we have buku guards that rotate to center.

I'll take a solid QB/C combo any day. Maybe Haskins could be our Mahomes, & elevate us out of the slums.

I have no idea if the team would make a play for Haskins, but I wouldn't put it past Snyder to do so.

Roullier is certainly not the best center in the league. Probably around eighth to tenth best, but that is very good for a second year sixth rounder. He should only get better, but the rest of the line needs to stay healthy.

Even if all I did was to discuss why I'm sticking with Bruce Allen and Gruden and how the org believes they are going to turn this around, fans want to believe, and they would respect that there is some kind of a plan in place.

Yessir. The lack of communication blows chunks. Even if we don't like what's being said. Say it. Own it. And move forward. Why they don't is quite mind boggling.

That aside, who is really surprised by the announcement? I don't allow myself to get too lathered up about, because I'm not in charge.
The instant Gruden was retained was all anyone needed to know. No significant FO changes were coming.

But they did/do need to communicate their "plan". Or, like you said, give explanations why their doing what their doing.

So, everybody else is free to howl at the moon, if it makes them feel better. I see it as a waste of time, and thought. But that's just me.
We have lemons. Our only option is to make lemonade.

Yessir. The lack of communication blows chunks. Even if we don't like what's being said. Say it. Own it. And move forward. Why they don't is quite mind boggling.

That aside, who is really surprised by the announcement? I don't allow myself to get too lathered up about, because I'm not in charge.
The instant Gruden was retained was all anyone needed to know. No significant FO changes were coming.

But they did/do need to communicate their "plan". Or, like you said, give explanations why their doing what their doing.

So, everybody else is free to howl at the moon, if it makes them feel better. I see it as a waste of time, and thought. But that's just me.
We have lemons. Our only option is to make lemonade.

Yeah, that all rings true Brother @Ax. Thing is though, for the first time I have ever seen, some of those lifelong Skins fans are deciding '**** it, I'm just switching to iced tea'. It's happening, it's a sad, sad thing. And Daniel Snyder apparently could give a rat's ass about it.

True.

And here's how I make lemonade out of that.

If doubling down, or even tripling down, on the current direction, brings on the apocalypse that somehow forces change, then it is necessary. And the sooner it happens, the better.

Of course, no matter how slim the chances are, it could also be proven to be the right way to go.

"Just Win Baby", and all will be well.
Keep losing, and it has to change, eventually.

I might also add, that the effect of 24/7 social media, keeps pissed off people, pissed. And even makes it worse, it most cases.

If doubling down, or even tripling down, on the current direction, brings on the apocalypse that somehow forces change, then it is necessary. And the sooner it happens, the better.

That's the problem...it could be happening now, but Snyder's head is so far up his ass, he cannot see what is happening. If the outrage we see now, continues next year...it could be the catalyst to open his eyes. But how can he not see what is happening around him now? How does a human being become that far out of touch with reality?

That's the problem for most...if he is really that out of touch, what makes us believe he can ever see the light?

Edit: And I will tell you why I am so pissed, since you think we can make lemonade and will continue to support this train wreck. Two years ago I told myself I would not attend another game after the debacle with the loss to the Giants to get eliminated from the playoffs. I don't care what anyone says, that was enough to fire Gruden.

So I went into the following season spending more time with the kids, watching a total of about 4 quarters of football over the course of the entire season, and finding myself actually enjoying Sundays in ways I hadn't in years.

I went into this season with a new lease on the NFL. Since I was playing fantasy football, I said I'd invest more in the game...I'd give it one more season to see if the product on the field was going to improve.

The total NFL package did improve, mostly. Then the debacle of the Redskins over the last 6 games of the season happened. I don't care about the injuries...there was only one game in all 6 of them the team actually played inspirational football...and seeing Josh Johnson win his 1st NFL game, and the sheer humility from that kid made me capable of stomaching the disaster we'd become.

We're right back where we were 2 years ago when we lost to the Gnats. I blame myself for it, but I should have spent more time with my children. Instead, I wasted it on an organization that doesn't give a f**k about me. I won't regret the decision to invest more, I simply won't do it until I see a different direction, even a different ideology in the FO. They don't deserve my time or energy...why would I give it to them?

Last edited:

I get ya brother. I really do. It works for you, and that's all that matters.

Let me splain where I am.

This may be shocking to some, (he says with a crooked smile on his handsome face) but I can be, an extremist.
I believe as George Allen said, losing, is like dying. I hate it with every fiber of my being. The only thing worse than losing, is quitting.

Now, even with all their warts, I love my team. Not the owners, not the FO's, not the coaches (Gibbs is the only real exception), and not really the players. Though there are many who have earned it over time.
But, the team. I don't care who the owner is. Who the GM is. What front office structure is in place. I just want to see more Lombardi's hoisted into the air by a Washington Redskin.
One day, my dedication my evaporate. If it does, I'll be gone forever. I won't leave, and then return only when winning does. I'll walk away, and never look back. I won't second guess my decision. And I won't regret.

That's why the idea of giving up, due to the current, ongoing situation, isn't even part of my thinking. I know myself too well. If I cut that arm off, it will never grow back.

Besides, I thoroughly enjoy conversing with every one of you beautifully hardheaded bastards. And bitc……...er um, ladies.

So, think of me, like Papillon, at the end of the movie. All alone, floating in the middle of the ocean, on a small raft made from coconuts. Uttering.....

"I'm still here, bastards"

I can't argue that logic. We'll see what happens in March when free agency starts and that will certainly alter the mocks. We may have more info about Alex Smith at that time.

Smith seems like a man of high character who will let the Skins know ASAP when and if he is able to play this year.

Well, right now the Redskins have mountains to climb to be even a ‘winning' team at 9-7 or 10-6 let alone one that hopes to eventually contend for a championship.

The Redskins quite frankly have one of the bottom two or three offenses in the league skill wise.

Quarterback is a mess.

Wide receiver lacks any true playmakers while Doctson is starting despite being
a #3 or #4 receiver in terms of hands and route running.

At running back we have Guice coming back from an ACL tear and he has yet to take his first NFL snap.

Peterson will be 34 years old by the start of next season. Even given his outlier longevity and skills he is a short term option. And for him to be effective Gruden needs to revamp his running calls in 2019 to feature more I formation runs and less Peterson operating out of the shotgun where he is less effective.

So far Gruden seems resistant to making any real changes to his offensive system and that was apparent in the plays Smith was running early in the season.

So, just on offense alone this team needs a major overhaul of personnel and strategy just to be effective, forget top notch.

We shall see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.