• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2019

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

I'm about to post some interesting screen captures from the OPI call against Kelvin Harmon on Thursday night. It's interesting.

There you have it.

The concern for me wasn't the call, it was the doubling down on the call and then defense of an obviously horrifically bad call. Come on NFL officiating! That's the kind of call that cost is a deserved win last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I was having the same thought, Boone.

Nice job on the still-frames, BB. I don't think anyone at this point doubts it was a bad call (even two). What's doubly frustrating is that this year, to great fanfare, the league decided to make PI calls reviewable. The clear early indication is that that review process is a total joke as of midway through the pre-season. As it appears they aren't remotely serious about using it to correct obvious mistakes, now you'll not only see games decided on often clearly incorrect calls/non-calls, you'll have to deal with the added outrage of knowing they SEE the mistake, but flip the proverbial bird at you letting it stand.

As for the PI non-call at the end of the Texans game last year, where Colt threw a deep ball to an open Doctson deep in Texans territory, which would have given us a short FG for the win with around 10 seconds to go, only to see TWO Texans steamroll Doctson well before the ball arrived, and the zebras swallow their whistles ... well, it was every bit as egregious as the non-call at the end of the Rams/Saints NFC title game--the one that had people actually filing lawsuits.

The NFL isn't interested in justice. They want ratings. Controversy provides them.

Haskins to me looks fine for a rookie feeling his way in an NFL offense.

If Dwayne is forced into early action Gruden is going to have to come off his high horse, shorten the playbook and give Haskins a diet of the plays he can convert as he learns and grows.

This is something that Gibbs did with Schroeder and Rypien. Parcells did it with Jeff Hostetler.

You can win with an abridged playbook if you can execute.

Crisp execution has been a rare commodity under Gruden in any phase of the game since he became head coach.

Haskins to me looks fine for a rookie feeling his way in an NFL offense.

If Dwayne is forced into early action Gruden is going to have to come off his high horse, shorten the playbook and give Haskins a diet of the plays he can convert as he learns and grows.

This is something that Gibbs did with Schroeder and Rypien. Parcells did it with Jeff Hostetler.

You can win with an abridged playbook if you can execute.

Crisp execution has been a rare commodity under Gruden in any phase of the game since he became head coach.

I haven't gotten a sense from any of his remarks that Gruden is pining to start Haskins. If that is the plan, Gruden should get some props for a pretty effective smokescreen. He has certainly given Haskins praise for his arm and ability to make some elite level throws. But he's also been very open about Haskins continued need to improve his knowledge of the playbook, working from under center, getting in and out of the huddle in a timely fashion, etc...

I am not convinced starting Haskins is going to 'ruin him'. Coaches have been starting high draft pick rookie QBs for decades. The ones who are real franchise QBs learn from whatever early struggles they have and rise to the top. The ones that don't, it's hard to imagine that they would've been future all stars if ONLY they had ridden the bench for a couple of years.

I'm not nearly as certain as a lot of folks are that you can learn to be an NFL QB from the bench. I just don't see it being a persuasive argument, especially since, when you are relegated to a backup or 3rd string spot, you are going to get almost zero snaps in practice. I believe, had Patrick Mahommes started as a rookie, he'd still have lit up the league - he's simply that talented.

In short, for me the 'sit and learn' mentality that is characterized as the 'only smart way' to develop a QB is highly overblown.

That being said, I think Gruden goes with Keenum out of the gate. I am not that convinced he 'gives us the best chance to win'. Whatever experience advantage he has over Haskins (and he inarguably has that) is balanced by the significant arm talent edge the youngster has over him. I think it's more or less a wash, because I believe we're going to pound the rock again and rely on ball control and an improved defense, not Air Coryell, in 2019.

I haven't gotten a sense from any of his remarks that Gruden is pining to start Haskins. If that is the plan, Gruden should get some props for a pretty effective smokescreen. He has certainly given Haskins praise for his arm and ability to make some elite level throws. But he's also been very open about Haskins continued need to improve his knowledge of the playbook, working from under center, getting in and out of the huddle in a timely fashion, etc...

I am not convinced starting Haskins is going to 'ruin him'. Coaches have been starting high draft pick rookie QBs for decades. The ones who are real franchise QBs learn from whatever early struggles they have and rise to the top. The ones that don't, it's hard to imagine that they would've been future all stars if ONLY they had ridden the bench for a couple of years.

I'm not nearly as certain as a lot of folks are that you can learn to be an NFL QB from the bench. I just don't see it being a persuasive argument, especially since, when you are relegated to a backup or 3rd string spot, you are going to get almost zero snaps in practice. I believe, had Patrick Mahommes started as a rookie, he'd still have lit up the league - he's simply that talented.

In short, for me the 'sit and learn' mentality that is characterized as the 'only smart way' to develop a QB is highly overblown.

That being said, I think Gruden goes with Keenum out of the gate. I am not that convinced he 'gives us the best chance to win'. Whatever experience advantage he has over Haskins (and he inarguably has that) is balanced by the significant arm talent edge the youngster has over him. I think it's more or less a wash, because I believe we're going to pound the rock again and rely on ball control and an improved defense, not Air Coryell, in 2019.

You know my perspective on this - which I think pre-season has bourne out: one year as a starting QB. Given what I have seen and comments thus far by pundits I have to wonder what they taught him at OSU. Fundamentals? My take so far is that he needs work on said fundamentals and consistency with ball placement. That said, I'll rely on Gruden that Haskins recognition of what the defense is doing pre-snap and subsequent adjustments, command of the huddle, and pick-up of the offensive system is coming along nicely. His ability to scramble is a surprising plus. Overall I rate progress an A...readiness to lead the etam to victory against the Iggles a C- to D. Lest we forget, he hasn't faced complicated defensive sets and masking.

Raw arm talent is nice Boone, and we're all counting on it, but he has missed a lotta passes and doesn't consistently drop it in the proverbial breadbasket. He has a ways to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.