• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2019

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

Comparison sites are few and far between. I'd like to see more, but working out the various algorithms probably takes so much time. Not saying it is an impossible task, but it seems like it would take the power of a super computer.

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

Eye candy for those who have a man crush on Hockenson.

Hockenson looks like a beast. I don't know if the Redskins are in a spot roster wise to draft him though. There will most likely be other players that rank just as high at other positions they will take. I wish they were in a spot to take him. And in fact, if the best players on their board are Hockenson and a WR, I'd rather them take Hockenson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, since you're right, that this analysis was not a very in-depth comparison between Hockensen and Flemister, I took it a step further.
A further and deeper look reveals even more striking similarities.
Between their nicknames : Hock and Flem.
The Mucus Brothers
Got Flem ?
Hock it !

Boone is now working on a version of the Like button that sends a BOO for bad jokes.

On a random side note, Flemister was a good friend of Huly & Chris over at ES. I do t know how they knew each other but kind of cool.

I agree. If Hock is there and we have either already secured a QB or don't like anyone on the board, I'd really hope they grab him. I think he's a difference making player.

I have a strong feeling this draft will be a departure from previous drafts. We're moving up to get Haskins, Lock, or Jones. Just a feeling I have and I'm betting it's Jones who I think is held in a lot higher regard by GMs than general consensus indicates.

Hockenson looks like a beast. I don't know if the Redskins are in a spot roster wise to draft him though. There will most likely be other players that rank just as high at other positions they will take. I wish they were in a spot to take him. And in fact, if the best players on their board are Hockenson and a WR, I'd rather them take Hockenson.

That's just it...we are in need of a TE with his talent. Every team would be.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2019​

Greetings from BBQ to everyone in BGO land and guests from social media – we hope you become a member here.

The 2019 NFL draft arrives next Thursday and the countdown is in the final stretch! Free agency has entered a dormant phase and should pick up again after May 7. We now have a few ideas about what the team needs in later this month. The process of team building never ends and BBQ is about to take a look at what could happen this spring and summer.

Today we bring you a mock that has multiple trades. BBQ believes that the Redskins will seek to make such moves in the draft – perhaps several moves.

Will BBQ match or surpass the success that it had with the 2018 mocks? It will be difficult and very challenging, but it is a task that we embrace. With that kind of success, we truly believe it helps the members of BGO to focus on the players who are prospects that the Redskins are seeking. It feels good to provide everyone here with the kind of service you expect from BBQ.

Upcoming Dates:
- Days until the NFL Draft: 6
- Days until OTAs: 31
- Days until mandatory mini-camp: 48
- Days until the first NFL preseason game: 104
- Days until the 2019 Regular Season Opener: 139

Without any further delays, let's take our latest look at the 2019 draft with this mock.

Pre-Draft Trade
The Redskins trade a 2020 second round pick to the Arizona Cardinals for quarterback Josh Rosen. As part of the deal, the Redskins trade Case Keenum to the Cardinals and receive a 2019 sixth round pick.

Round One: Montez Sweat, Edge/OLB, Mississippi St., (Health Concern [Heart], Past Character Issues)
Sweat is a massively sized edge and most pundits rank him as the third or fourth best OLB in a very loaded class of edge rushers. He is likely to have an immediate impact and an impressive rookie season. Sweat dominated the NFL Combine and established himself as a top tier prospect. The only issue is his health – a heart condition. The Mississippi St. Bulldog is a likely starter from day one and will be a terror to opposing quarterbacks.

Other Possible Picks:
Cody Ford, G/OT, Oklahoma
Devin White, ILB, LSU
T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa
Brian Burns, OLB, Florida St.
Clelin Ferrell, OLB, Clemson
Drew Lock, QB, Missouri
Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio St.
D.K. Metcalf, WR, Mississippi
Jonah Williams, OT/OG, Alabama
Noah Fant, TE, Iowa

Round Two: Trade
The Redskins trade down in the second round and gain a fourth rounder and a seventh rounder.

Round Two: Marquise Brown, WR, Oklahoma
Try to imagine a young DeSean Jackson, but a version that is fifty percent better as a rookie. Try to imagine a young, much better DeSean Jackson without all of the early career difficulties and headaches. Try to imagine a young DeSean Jackson having an immediate impact and will be one of your best receivers for the next twelve years. Welcome to Marquise “Hollywood” Brown. Remember when Jackson was considered to be of a build that was too small for the NFL? Again, welcome to Marquise “Hollywood” Brown. Truth be told, Brown could go on to have a better career than Jackson. Comparisons aside, Brown is a dynamic receiver and if he gets a step on a defender, the yardage gained is usually massive and it often finishes in the end zone. Any negatives? Durability could be an issue and needs to improve his blocking skills.

Other Possible Picks:
Nasir Adderly, FS/SS, Delaware
A.J. Brown, WR, Mississippi
Kelvin Harmon, WR, North Carolina St.
Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio St.
N'Keal Harry, WR, Arizona St.
Jaylon Ferguson, OLB, Louisiana Tech
Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina
Will Grier, QB, West Virginia (Past Character Issues)
Chris Lindstrom, OG, Boston College
Hakeem Butler, WR, Iowa St.
Taylor Rapp, FS, Washington

Round Three: Jace Sternberger, TE, Texas A&M
Sternberger could start from day one, but probably needs to add ten to fifteen pounds of bulk and muscle to his long frame. He is an absolute monster after the catch and can drag a defender (sometimes two defenders) twenty or thirty yards with ease. He has a solid receiving skillset and is not afraid to go over the middle. Fantastic red zone target. Routinely goes up high for jump ball catches. Typically wins any contested catch. Very good blocker, but still some room for improvement.

Other Possible Picks:
Riley Ridley, WR, Georgia
Caleb Wilson, TE, UCLA
Jachai Polite, Edge/OLB, Florida (Character Issues, Interviews Poorly)
Kahale Warring, TE, San Diego St.
Andy Isabella, WR, Massachusetts
Irv Smith, TE, Alabama
Armani Hooker, FS, Iowa
Rock Ya-Sin, CB, Temple
J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, WR, Stanford
Ryan Finley, QB, North Carolina St.
Brett Rypien, QB, Boise St.
Deionte Thompson, FS, Alabama
Connor McGovern, OC/OG, Penn St.
Mack Wilson, ILB, Alabama (Character Issues)
Michael Deiter, OG, Wisconsin

Round Three (Comp Pick): DaMarkus Lodge, WR, Mississippi
DaMarkus Lodge receives far less attention than his fellow receivers at Ole Miss, but he is very talented and could offer excellent value at this juncture. Mississippi has a limited offense playbook and the receivers suffered to a certain degree. Lodge should be in the conversation for one of the better receivers in a very stacked class, but Ole Miss standouts A.J. Brown and D.K. Metcalf grab more attention from draft analysts. Solid receiver. Good speed. Great blocker. Excellent size. Easily creates separation. Legitimate red zone target. Able to gain extra yardage after a reception. Could have a better career than Metcalf and Brown.

Round Four: Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama St.
Howard is a talented, but somewhat raw prospect at the tackle position. He is not a long term starter, but is better suited to being a backup swing tackle in the future. He will need some extra time to adjust to the league, but he could be called upon later in the season for spot duty. Excellent size. A younger version of Ty Nsekhe, but with a higher ceiling. Demonstrates good footwork and creates leverage, but only if he is established in his stance first. Howard will need to learn that speed rushers are much faster in the NFL and realize that weak FCS competition is many steps lower. With good coaching, Howard may carve out a career of ten years or more.

Possible Picks:
Jalen Jelks, OLB, Oregon
Dru Samia, OG, Oklahoma
Miles Boykin, WR, Notre Dame
Nate Davis, OG/OT, UNC-Charlotte
Jarrett Stidham, QB, Auburn
Oshane Ximines, OLB, Old Dominion
Hunter Renfrow, WR, Clemson
Isaac Nauta, TE, Georgia
Clayton Thorson, QB, Northwestern

Round Five: Devine Ozigbo, RB, Nebraska
Ozigbo is certainly not the most accomplished running back in the 2019 draft, but he has skills that definitely will serve him well at the next level. At 6'0”, 235, this Cornhusker is strong and powerful. He will not run away from defenders and is not a downhill threat, but Ozigbo will run through those same defenders and can gain five to eight yards with ease. Good receiver on screens and short passes. Typically takes three or four tacklers to bring him down.

Other Possible Picks:
Easton Stick, QB, North Dakota St.
Iman Marshall, CB, Southern California
Max Scharping, OT/OG, Northern Illinois
Foster Moreau, TE, LSU
Christian Miller, OLB, Alabama
Terry McLaurin, WR, Ohio St.
Stanley Morgan, WR, Nebraska
Maxx Crosby, OLB, Eastern Michigan
Khalen Saunders, DT, Western Illinois
Terry Godwin, WR, Clemson
Corbin Kaufusi, DE/OLB, Brigham Young
Carl Granderson, OLB, Wyoming
Austin Bryant, OLB, Clemson
Juwan Johnson, WR, Penn St.
Trace McSorley, QB, Penn St.

Round Five (Comp Pick): Lester Cotton, OG, Alabama
Cotton is a sizable guard that is very strong and rarely makes crippling mistakes. Great presence on the inside. Average speed, but can pull effectively to either side when needed. Has played against quality competition in the SEC and held his own each season. He can have dominant streaks, but is mostly a solid guard who is better in the rushing offense and needs some work in pass protection.

Round Six: Gardner Minshew, QB, Washington St.
Remember the last time when the Redskins added two quarterbacks in the same year? It could happen again. Minshew is a product of Coach Mike Leach's gunslinger program, but the Cougar signal caller could become a reliable backup option and possibly a starter at the next level. Solid pocket presence. He has coachable skills and possesses a good arm along with decent size. Will certainly need time to develop and could be a candidate for the practice squad.

Other Possible Picks:
Khalil Hodge, ILB, Buffalo
Chuma Edoga, OT, Southern Cal
Mecole Harman, WR, Georgia
Saivion Smith, CB, Alabama
David Sills, WR, West Virginia
Garrett Brumfield, OG, Louisiana St.
Tre Watson, ILB, Maryland
Kingsley Keke, DE/DT, Texas A&M
Shareef Miller, OLB, Penn St.

Round Six (Comp Pick): Blake Cashman, ILB, Minnesota
Cashman is a talented and highly underrated inside linebacker. He played in obscurity in the great white north and while the Golden Gophers are not followed closely in the football world, Cashman quietly made a name for himself against quality competition. A bona fide tackling machine. Always around the football and making plays. Solid against the run, but struggles somewhat in coverage. Good speed – can close on the ball quickly. Will need to make his mark initially as a special teams ace.

Round Seven: Olamide Zaccheaus, WR, Virginia
How would you like a receiver who has running back skills and combines his talents to look like a Larry Centers and Chris Thompson type of player? Highly underrated. Lack of height will hurt him in the draft (5'8”, 200), but he has the speed and power to be a much more durable player than Thompson. He has been the leading receiver for Virginia over the years.

Other Possible Picks:
Jaylen Smith, WR, Louisville
Ryan Pope, OT, San Diego St.
Ulysees Gilbert, ILB, Akron
Renell Wren, DT, Arizona St.
Sean Bunting, CB, Central Michigan
Sione Takitaki, ILB, Brigham Young
Jalen Hurd, WR, Baylor
Dakota Allen, ILB, Texas Tech
Nate Herbig, OG, Stanford
Ului Lapuaho, OT, BYU
Keelan Doss, WR, California, Davis
Daylon Mack, DT, Texas A&M
Kendall Blanton, TE, Missouri
Eric Dungey, QB, Syracuse

Round Seven: Ulysees Gilbert, ILB, Akron
If you're looking for a late round gem that is the model of consistency and with plenty of upside, then Ulysees Gilbert is a perfect selection here. At 6'1” 235, he has the prototypical size for an inside linebacker. Gilbert has started since his sophomore year and contributed in every game as a true freshman in 2015. A tackling machine. Solid in coverage (averages several interceptions a year), solid in the rushing defense, solid in the pass rush. Superb athleticism allows him to excel in all three facets, including sacking the quarterback a few times each year. The only knock on him is the lack of quality D1 competition faced.

Round Seven (Comp Pick): Joe Dineen, ILB, Kansas
Joe Dineen is a tackling machine and is superb in both the rushing defense and pass coverage. However, he will need to make his marks on special teams early in his career. He is deceptively quick and rarely makes mistakes. If Dineen can find his niche as a special teamer and as a quality backup as a linebacker, then his career in the NFL could be a lengthy stay.

UDFA Prospects
Kevin Wilkins, DT, Rutgers
Cody Thompson, WR, Toledo
Nick Linder, OC/OG, Indiana
Chris Slayton, DT, Syracuse
Preston Williams, WR, Colorado St. (Character Issues)
Jimmy Moreland, CB, James Madison
Sterling Sheffield, OLB, Maine
Trevon Wesco, TE/FB, West Virginia
KaVontae Turpin, WR/KR, Texas Christian
Cole Herdman, TE, Purdue
Chris Peace, OLB, Virginia
Tyler Roemer, OT, San Diego St. (Character Issues)
Jack Fox, P, Rice
Olive Sagapolu, DT, Wisconsin

In Conclusion

The Redskins comp picks are as follows: Rounds 3, 5, 6, and 7. Comp picks can be traded.

There is your latest mock today. We will have a mock each day next week – including two mocks on Thursday (first day of the draft).

Looks like we signed a camp arm.
But his name is Josh, so he could be starter material, since it's the Redskins.

Last edited:

On a random side note, Flemister was a good friend of Huly & Chris over at ES. I do t know how they knew each other but kind of cool.

Is she the one that goes by the twitter name "Christie" ?
Because she just posted that they're celebrating 20 years of marriage together.
Which is interesting because it was almost exactly 20 years ago we drafted Flem.

Charlie Casserly is the most overrated GM the team ever had and I have zero clue why his word is taken around these parts like gospel. Run the opposite direction from him.

Charlie Casserly is the most overrated GM the team ever had and I have zero clue why his word is taken around these parts like gospel. Run the opposite direction from him.

I don't really sense that at all. He's a part of Redskins history and glory, but I think most take his current NFL advice with a grain of salt. Here's the thing, Casserly opinion aside - quite possible Jones turns out to be one of the legit NFL starters in this draft. Because a bunch of know-it-all draft 'experts' don't believe it, doesn't make it so. The experts are wrong as often as they're right, but few own up to their bad calls.

Casserly is just another source that I will post on occasion. He may have some insight as to what is happening at Redskins Park. Maybe not. He could be a part of Lying Season as well. It's just another pundit to post here and nothing more.

That's just it...we are in need of a TE with his talent. Every team would be.

I agree. It's why I want him. But I don't know how they have guys evaluated and rated. Also, it may be they think they draft some other guy in round 1, knowing they can get a TE later. And the talent drop off between what they take in the 1st round may be steeper than Hockenson and some other TE. That's the only reason I say I don't know if they will take him if he's available. Drafting is like a puzzle and the best drafters know how to pick the right guys at the right time.

I don't really sense that at all. He's a part of Redskins history and glory, but I think most take his current NFL advice with a grain of salt. Here's the thing, Casserly opinion aside - quite possible Jones turns out to be one of the legit NFL starters in this draft. Because a bunch of know-it-all draft 'experts' don't believe it, doesn't make it so. The experts are wrong as often as they're right, but few own up to their bad calls.

I don't have a strong opinion on Casserly either way, so I looked at that pretty unbiased, but it's hard to take someone seriously, when in his video graphic he posted, he has Darvin Kidsy as a starting WR.
There's no possible way to envision that, if the season started today.

My vote is Lock or defense at 15. Now if we can trade down and still grab Jones that would be tempting, but Bruden needs to be quite sure.

1. Hope they don't trade up for QB.

2. Hope they don't draft QB at 15 or first round. These guys all have significant flaws. The Skins cannot afford to screw this up. I get the imperative. That said, I'm down with defensive star in the frst round and difference making WR/TE in the second round. Fix the o-line guard/depth problems (which they are obviously trying to do at OT) - maybe draft a hidden gem center in the third round and move the current center to guard. I'm willing to settle for a mediocre season this year and then trade the farm for a top tier QB next year. Yea, it's a huge risk. So is drafting a QB with known flaws on the hope they can be corrected - another prescription, IMO, for a guy we give up on after 4-5 years.....and remain in perpetual rebuild mode.

All the material BB posts about visits, bowl game interveiws, etc., suggests to me they are going to draft a QB. The only thing that is problematic is whether they go with an anointed "franchise" guy or a development/later round draft.

This is all about risk taking no matter how you look at it. My preference is to build from the inside out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.