• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2019

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

Having a great arm doesn't mean squat. There have been a ton of QBs with great arms who failed - Jeff George anyone?

My dad worked at s barber shop in Sterling where Jay Brunetti was a regular customer (obviously before going to the Texans, which would be when this time period applied). He told my father Jeff George was easily the most stupidest individual he had ever seen come through the doors of either Herndon or Ashburn.

That's saying a lot considering Jay had been there since a teen mowing the lawn and Dexter Manley was illiterate. I'd say that made George a special case. M1-A1 arm, factory second (third?) brain.

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

The Jeff George comment really doesn't deserve a response, since obviously, George's strong arm was never the problem. Haskins may well be the Anti-George. Quiet guy, leads by example, accurate as hell, rarely turned it over in college. But hey, yeah - they both have strong arms...

Just for emphasis, here are some of their career college stats:

Jeff George
Completion %: 58.8
Career TDs: 35
Career INTs: 35
Yds/Attempt: 6.3
Passing Yds/Game: 183
QB Rating: 116.8

Dwayne Haskins
Completion %: 70
Career TDs: 54
Career INTs: 9
Yds/Attempt: 9.1
Passing Yds/Game: 245
QB Rating: 174

The Jeff George comment really doesn't deserve a response, since obviously, George's strong arm was never the problem. Haskins may well be the Anti-George. Quiet guy, leads by example, accurate as hell, rarely turned it over in college. But hey, yeah - they both have strong arms...

Then why respond? :)

I get the feel good factory part of this and would like to see Haskins succeed. That's why I believe starting him day 1 is not a good idea. That's why I believe everyone pushing this meme has other motives in mind than the 21 year old's development. The analysis is there vis his strengths and weaknesses. The Skins are gonna have to work on his weaknesses. This is the big boys - not MN, IN, IL, that OSU beats up every season before getting their arses kicked in a major bowl game.

Let the kid develop. Don't place the burden of the franchise on his shoulders right off the bat. I don't think he's ready. His responses to interviews I have seen have been neither quick nor savvy IMO. Why would one expect enything different from a kid this young with this little exposure to the big time? Give him time to develop. Let him make his mistakes on the practice field. Let him watch for a while. There is little tolerance in DC for another year of "next year." Let the changes shaping the roster form a firm foundation, then push the kid into the glare.

I will make a bold prediction: if he starts the first game and the ensuing five he will fail and it will not sit easy. Everyone in DC I know is sick and tired of the excuse factory. I know I will be booing - I just won't be sure whether I'm booing him for letting his ego get ahead of his experience or the Skins' poor personnel management practices.

addendum: still luv ya Boone!

Last edited by a moderator:

It's been almost 15 years since I had a good mess of steamed crabs(NC doesn't understand good seafood)....damn Ax is making me hungry!

I had good ones last week...best I've had in years! Delish! I loved them! They were great!

And Boone, just steam your own. We get a lot of our crabs from NC, especially the big ones. All you need is the correct seasoning...most people who get steamed crabs from a restaurant or truck, are eating JO seasoning, not Old Bay. Old Bay is good, but the JO is the best.

As for Haskins, if the kid is making poor throws because of the pressure, that by definition is happy feet. Doesn't matter if he tries to escape the pocket, or makes a bad throw. You see this as a learning curve...I've seen this in every over rated young QB who comes into the NFL.

Praise from the pundits? I really don't care what they see...it all comes down to his adjustment to the NFL game from a single starting season on a team that was head's and tails better than the rest of the conference, with only 2 good defenses in 11 games.

This is an all too familiar feeling, if we go back through the posting history...I hear the same things being said about this guy, that were said about RG3...smart, mature, strong arm, saying all the right things...

How man teams in this draft with a need at QB passed on this kid?

Last edited:

I had good ones last week...best I've had in years! Delish! I loved them! They were great!

And Boone, just steam your own. We get a lot of our crabs from NC, especially the big ones. All you need is the correct seasoning...most people who get steamed crabs from a restaurant or truck, are eating JO seasoning, not Old Bay. Old Bay is good, but the JO is the best.

As for Haskins, if the kid is making poor throws because of the pressure, that by definition is happy feet. Doesn't matter if he tries to escape the pocket, or makes a bad throw. You see this as a learning curve...I've seen this in every over rated young QB who comes into the NFL.

Praise from the pundits? I really don't care what they see...it all comes down to his adjustment to the NFL game from a single starting season on a team that was head's and tails better than the rest of the conference, with only 2 good defenses in 11 games.

This is an all too familiar feeling, if we go back through the posting history...I hear the same things being said about this guy, that were said about RG3...smart, mature, strong arm, saying all the right things...

How man teams in this draft with a need at QB passed on this kid?

We've steamed our own... and I'd be glad to do it, except that I haven't had your experience with NC crabs. The ones we've had (and caught) are smaller, and just not the same quality as Maryland Blue Crabs. Maybe a little sentimentality in the mix I'll admit since I grew up on Maryland crabs :) Unfortunately, live crabs don't ship well, or we'd fly them in and cook them on site. We've tried it several times and there's at least a 50% kill rate. Unlike lobsters, crabs just aren't tough enough to handle the travel. The last couple of years, we've ordered them pre-steamed, and we just heat them up in the oven or microwave. They are amazingly good that way.

Just a different outlook on the Haskins happy feet. Maybe our defense is that damn good and we should all expect that ensemble to rattle a rookie, at least some. Better he get rattled now at his first NFL camp ever than 3 years down the road. Manusky will be just as valuable a teaching tool to our qb as Jay and the qb coach are.

We've steamed our own... and I'd be glad to do it, except that I haven't had your experience with NC crabs. The ones we've had (and caught) are smaller, and just not the same quality as Maryland Blue Crabs. Maybe a little sentimentality in the mix I'll admit since I grew up on Maryland crabs :) Unfortunately, live crabs don't ship well, or we'd fly them in and cook them on site. We've tried it several times and there's at least a 50% kill rate. Unlike lobsters, crabs just aren't tough enough to handle the travel. The last couple of years, we've ordered them pre-steamed, and we just heat them up in the oven or microwave. They are amazingly good that way.

It's funny you say this, the local restaurant I usually get my crabs is owned by an old curmudgeon who I have steadily been getting to warm up to me. She gets her crabs from Texas and Louisiana this time of year because when they're flown in, they hit her tables sooner than the ones driven up from NC and SC, plus they're bigger.

Anyway, I love crabs. I don't love Haskins...yet.

You will. He's not Robert Griffin. He's going to be the best QB we've had in 20 years. And soon.

Win4us: happy feet when there's no tackling and contact?

It's a known problem. I read countless reviews that zero'd in on the same issue. Just a guess: a legacy, IMO, from only starting one year in college. It can be fixed.

How many teams in this draft with a need at QB passed on this kid?

You're right on this, but on the flip side... those words are rhetoric that most teams will spew about their bright shiny new QB's.

If you read the Giant's blogs the coaching staff and pundits are saying similar things about Daniel Jones. I'd imagine that the media and staff in Arizona are raving about Kyler Murray.

So I think that these are all the usual noises, nothing madly unusual.

For me it's not so much that it reminds me of RGIII, but that his spectre looms high over this QB situation as the last time we drafted a 1st rounder QB that had huge promise and turned out to be fools-gold.

On the one hand the pessimist in me is almost expecting this to not pan out, just like RGIII. It would seem so typically Redskins.

My more optimistic other hand tells me that surely we have to hit paydirt some time. Throw enough dice rolls and you'll get a six eventually. That what I'm hoping for.

I think that because of RGIII's build and his skill set, he was FAR more prone to tuck-n-run. That was where he was more comfortable, which was fine until injury took that skill set away from him and he had to convert his mindset to be a pocket passer.
Haskins I think has the right mindset. He's not a tuck-n-run kind of QB and as he learns the NFL game and as his mental processes start to speed up to make his reads faster we'll see that. I certainly think that it hasn't helped that our D-Line looked beastly and our makeshift training camp O-line looks ghastly.

As has been said though, maybe that's a good thing. If he can learn to adjust to our lopsided lines in Practice then it should set him right for real games.

You're right in that he's massively inexperienced, even at the College level, so this is a steep learning curve. I'm intrigued to see where he goes, but I think the early returns are promising.

I think that the camps have solidified my thoughts as to the hopes that they don't throw him in the deep end though. I'd like them to be patient and use Keenum to get the ball rolling first.

Win4us: happy feet when there's no tackling and contact?

It's a known problem. I read countless reviews that zero'd in on the same issue. Just a guess: a legacy, IMO, from only starting one year in college. It can be fixed.

Yeah I'm currently looking at correlations between happy feet and qb success, so far with no luck. To me it would seem something like setting feet before throwing is easily correctable, but hell I thought we shoulda drafted Lock, so what do I know, lol.

Even with happy feet DH threw for 4800 yards on 533 attempts . What jumps out the most to me is with 500+ pass attempts the kid was only sacked 20 times. That's impressive, especially with that many attempts.

It seems to me the bouncing is a procedure that's worked for him at OSU, a tic from processing the developing play type thing. I could definitely see the 2019 skins D making that process a tad more stressful to someone who's barely dipped his toes in the NFL water. Throw in everything he's got on his shoulders at the moment and it's somewhat understandable. Time will tell but IMHO Haskins is the most complete qb we've drafted in the history of history, and it'll take some games to square any bad habits up.

Last edited:

Keim corrected this tweet a little later and said that Haskins would be gone less than a week. Hope he has a good, safe trip.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.