• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2019

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2019

bbqlarge.png

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, OTAs, Camps, Roster Predictions, 2019​

Greetings to everyone in BGO land. The offseason is here and today begins a process of looking at pending Free Agents, Mock Drafts, OTAs, Mini Camps, Training Camp, Roster Predictions, and any significant off-season news. Today we are posting key dates to know during this offseason. Soon, we will post the first look at free agency. This Friday we will post the first two off-season mocks of 2019. Similar to last year, we will post drafts that include Alex Smith returning and not returning.

We consulted with the BBQ lawyers and they advised us to post the first off-season update a few hours prior to the new year. We look forward to all of your comments this offseason.

Feel free to use this offseason guide on key dates as a reference. We'll edit it if the date changes or if there are any key additions/subtractions.

So let's roll up our sleeves and get to work.

Important Dates For 2019 NFL Off-season

December 31 – Earliest permissible date for clubs to renegotiate or extend the rookie contract of a drafted rookie who was selected in any round of the 2016 NFL Draft. Any permissible renegotiated or extended player contract will not be considered a rookie contract, and will not be subject to the rules that limit rookie contracts.

Option exercise period begins for Fifth-Year Option for First-Round Selections from the 2016 NFL Draft. To exercise the option, the club must give written notice to the player on or after Dec. 31, 2018, but prior to May 3, 2019

January 6 – Assistant coaches under contract to playoff clubs that have byes in the Wild Card games may be interviewed for head coaching positions through the conclusion of the Wild Card games.

January 13 – Assistant coaches under contract to playoff clubs that won their Wild Card games may be interviewed for head coaching positions through the conclusion of Divisional Playoff games.

January 14 – Deadline for college players who are underclassmen to apply for special eligibility. A list of players who are accepted into the NFL Draft will be sent to clubs on January 19.

January 19 – East-West Shrine Game, Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, Florida.

January 19 – NFLPA Collegiate Bowl, Rose Bowl, Pasadena, California.

January 26 – Senior Bowl, Ladd-Peebles Stadium, Mobile, Alabama.

January 27 – An assistant coach whose team is participating in the Super Bowl and who has previously interviewed for another club's head coaching job, may have a second interview with such club no later than the Sunday preceding the Super Bowl.

January 30 – Deadline for NFL clubs to try out and negotiate with CFL players whose 2018 contracts are due to expire at 12 noon, New York time, on February 12.

February 4 – Waiver system begins for 2019.

February 12 – Beginning at 12 noon, New York time, NFL clubs may begin to sign players whose 2018 CFL contracts have expired. Players under contract to a CFL club for the 2019 season or who have an option for the 2019 season are not eligible to be signed.

February 19 - First day for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.

February 26-March 5 – NFL Scouting Combine, Indianapolis, Indiana.

March 5 – Prior to 4:00 p.m. EST, deadline for clubs to designate Franchise or Transition Players.

March 11-13 – Clubs are permitted to contact and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2018 Player Contracts at 4:00 p.m. EDT, on March 13. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4:00 p.m. EST on March 13.

March 13 – Prior to 4:00 p.m. EDT, clubs must exercise options for 2019 on all players who have option clauses in their 2018 contracts.

March 13 – Prior to 4:00 p.m. EDT, clubs must submit qualifying offers to their Restricted Free Agents with expiring contracts and to whom they desire to retain a Right of First Refusal/Compensation.

March 13 – Prior to 4:00 p.m. EDT, clubs must submit a Minimum Salary Tender to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2018 contracts and who have fewer than three accrued seasons of free agency credit.

March 13 – Top-51 Begins. All clubs must be under the 2019 salary cap prior to 4:00 p.m. EDT.

March 13 – All 2018 player contracts will expire at 4:00 p.m. EDT.

March 13 – The 2019 league year and free agency period begin at 4:00 p.m. EDT.

The first day of the 2019 league year will end at 11:59:59 p.m. EDT on March 13. Clubs will receive a personnel notice that will include all transactions submitted to the league office during the period between 4:00 p.m. EDT and 11:59:59 p.m. EDT on March 13.

March 13 – Trading period for 2019 begins at 4:00 p.m. EDT after expiration of all 2018 contracts.

March 24-27 – Annual League Meeting -- Phoenix, Arizona.

April 1 – Clubs that hired a new head coach after the end of the 2018 regular season may begin offseason workout programs.

April 15 – Clubs with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs.

April 19 – Deadline for Restricted Free Agents to sign offer sheets.

April 25-27 – 2019 NFL Draft -- Nashville, Tennessee.

May 3-6 – Clubs may elect to hold their one three-day post-Draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday.

May 7 – Deadline for Prior Club to send “May 7 Tender” to its unsigned Unrestricted Free Agents. If the player has not signed a Player Contract with a club by July 22 or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later, he may negotiate or sign a Player Contract from that date until the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, at 4:00 p.m. EDT, only with his prior club.

May 10-13 – Clubs may elect to hold their one three-day post-Draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday.

May 13 – Rookie Football Development Programs begin.

May 16-19 – NFLPA Rookie Premiere. Invited Rookies (typically, first and/or second-round selections) must be permitted by their respective clubs to attend. Such players are unavailable for offseason workouts, OTA days, and minicamps during this period.

May 20-22 – Spring League Meeting -- Key Biscayne, Florida.

June 2 -- For any player removed from the club's roster or whose contract is assigned via waivers or trade on or after June 2, any unamortized signing bonus amounts for future years will be included fully in Team Salary at the start of the 2020 League Year.

June 3 – Deadline for Prior Club to send “June 1 Tender” to its unsigned Restricted Free Agents who received a qualifying offer for a Right of First Refusal Only in order for such player to be subject to the CBA's “June 15 Tender” provision.

June 15 – Deadline for club to withdraw qualifying offer to Restricted Free Agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting “June 15 Tender” of one-year contract at 110 percent of the player's prior-year Paragraph 5 Salary (with all other terms of his prior-year contract carried forward unchanged).

Late June – Rookie Transition Program to be held at individual clubs. Attendance is mandatory for all rookies.

July 15 – At 4:00 p.m. EDT, deadline for any club that designated a Franchise Player to sign such player to a multiyear contract or extension. After this date, the player may sign only a one year contract with his prior club for the 2018 season, and such contract cannot be extended until after the club's last regular season game.

Mid-July – Clubs are permitted to open preseason training camp for rookies and first-year players beginning seven days prior to the club's earliest permissible mandatory reporting date for veteran players.

Veteran players (defined as a player with at least one pension-credited season) other than quarterbacks or “injured players” (as defined in CBA Article 21, Section 6) may report to a club's preseason training camp no earlier than 15 days prior to the club's first scheduled preseason game or July 15, whichever is later.

Veteran quarterbacks and injured players may be required to report to the club's preseason training camp no earlier than five days immediately prior to the mandatory reporting date for all other veteran players, provided the club has already opened (or simultaneously opens) its official preseason training camp for all rookies and first-year players.

A three-day acclimation period will apply to players who are on a club's roster up to and including the mandatory veteran reporting date. Players who join the roster after that date may practice (including wearing pads) and play immediately after passing a physical.

July 22* – Signing Period ends for Unrestricted Free Agents to whom a “May 7 Tender” was made by prior club. After this date and until 4:00 p.m. EST on the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, prior club has exclusive negotiating rights.

* Or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later.

July 22 – Signing Period ends for Transition Players with outstanding tenders. After this date and until 4:00 p.m. EST on the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, prior club has exclusive negotiating rights.

August 6 – Deadline for players under contract to report to their clubs to earn an accrued season for free agency.

If a drafted rookie has not signed with his club by this date, he cannot be traded to any other club in 2019, and may sign a player contract only with the drafting club until the day of the Draft in the 2020 League Year.

August 31 – Prior to 4:00 p.m. EDT, clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players on the Active/Inactive List. Simultaneously with the cut-down to 53, clubs that have players in the categories of Active/Physically Unable to Perform or Active/Non-Football Injury or Illness must select one of the following options: place player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/Non- Football Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; request waivers; terminate contract; trade contract; or continue to count the player on the Active List.

September 1 – Claiming period for players placed on waivers at the final roster reduction will expire at 12 noon EDT.

September 1 – Upon receipt of the Personnel Notice at approximately 1:00 p.m. EDT, clubs may establish a practice squad of 10 players. No club, including the player's prior club, will be permitted to sign a player to a practice player contract until all clubs have received simultaneous notification via the above Personnel Notice that such player's prior NFL player contract has been terminated via the waiver system.

September 5 – At 12:00 a.m. EDT, the Top 51 Rule expires for all NFL clubs.

September 5, 8-9 – The NFL regular season begins.

Last edited:
Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

For the 8th time in 10 years, we enter the off-season looking forward to these dates at the conclusion of the regular season, instead of focusing on the playoffs.

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

Thanks for all of your hard work and 2018 Ken - you're amazing and we appreciate all of your insight and energy :cheers:

Here's to a better 2019!

Thanks a bunch. First free agency update coming in about ninety minutes. First two mocks coming on Thursday or Friday.

Most important off-season since...last year.

Strap in, folks. This will be another exciting eight month ride. Glad to have everyone along for the journey.

So each of us now has a choice in this Redskins' 2019 offseason.
To be doom and gloomer.
Or a happy blind homer.

So each of us now has a choice in this Redskins' 2019 offseason.
To be doom and gloomer.
Or a happy blind homer.

Well, I'd seriously like to ask why you'd ever have a rosy outlook for this team if Bruce is still here with Gruden at the helm on the sidelines?

There is a body of evidence to support we should be dreading another season with them around.

There's no point in being on suicide watch if you're going to try and continue to be a fan. No one needs to be reminded of the past 20 years, who our owner and team president are, how our problems are unsolvable, and we're doomed until Dan Snyder dies. We all understand the dynamics.

Me? I'm not convinced Snyder isn't about to blow it up again. At a minimum, I don't think Gibbs appearance yesterday was a PR stunt. He's either coming back in some global role, or he's advising Snyder who should be put in that role and helping make it happen. I'm not even convinced Gruden survives.

We'll see in the next little bit.

Players I want gone:

Josh Norman
Shawn Lauvao
Preston Smith
Colt McCoy
Zach Brown
Jordan Reed
Josh Doctson
Rob Kelley
Samaje Perine
Ty Nsekhe
Stacy McGhee
Pernell McPhee
Clinton Dix

Some are always hurt.

Some count for far more against the cap than their playing value.

Some seem to be on the roster because of high draft position in the past but are taking up space now.

Players I want gone:

Josh Norman
Shawn Lauvao
Preston Smith
Colt McCoy
Zach Brown
Jordan Reed
Josh Doctson
Rob Kelley
Samaje Perine
Ty Nsekhe
Stacy McGhee
Pernell McPhee
Clinton Dix

Some are always hurt.

Some count for far more against the cap than their playing value.

Some seem to be on the roster because of high draft position in the past but are taking up space now.

On McCoy - I'm fine moving on if we go out and get a workable free agent QB. Workable for me is defined by a guy like Foles or Bridgewater, maybe Keenum if we can get him. I don't see us finding a rook worth a damn in this class. If you can't get a experienced vet like one of those 3, you have to keep McCoy. I would not even give Johnson a try out. We've seen his best and it's not very good.

I'm curious on Doctson. We have waited this long for him, and he seemed to make some strides this year. Don't we have 1 more year on his rookie contract? If so - I'd keep him and make the decision a year from now.

I'll be waiting until Wednesday to post the first free agency update. I don't like posting bigger updates at night and this research will take several more hours. At least the off-season blog is up and running and that was a goal for today.

There's no point in being on suicide watch if you're going to try and continue to be a fan. No one needs to be reminded of the past 20 years, who our owner and team president are, how our problems are unsolvable, and we're doomed until Dan Snyder dies. We all understand the dynamics.

Me? I'm not convinced Snyder isn't about to blow it up again. At a minimum, I don't think Gibbs appearance yesterday was a PR stunt. He's either coming back in some global role, or he's advising Snyder who should be put in that role and helping make it happen. I'm not even convinced Gruden survives.

We'll see in the next little bit.

Your lips to God's ears! I will give them one last chance if Snyder steers this trip away from the current storm we're navigating. If Bruce and Jay are still here in the fall, I will not watch a single Redskins game.

Well, I'd seriously like to ask why you'd ever have a rosy outlook for this team if Bruce is still here with Gruden at the helm on the sidelines?

There is a body of evidence to support we should be dreading another season with them around.

It's possible to see a negative outlook for the team, and not embrace it.
Perfect example, is this guy. He acknowledges the negative outlook, but maintains positive vibes with a sense of humor and laughing at the situation.
Try and laugh with him, dude !

https://www.bgobsession.com/showthread.php/123296-Skins-make-roster-moves-12-31-2018

I eagerly await the upcoming 2019 season.
Where I will be lounging in front of my television.
Seductively clothed in Burgundy & Gold.
Cold beer in hand.
Cheering on my football team.

And the only thing that can prevent that from happening, is my death.

It's not hyperbole to say that without significant improvements in roster management in the 2019 offseason this team could easily find themselves in the position of being the new Giants, a last place team looking up at the rest of the division for a couple of years.

What is remarkable is how hostile fans, media are with Snyder and Allen at a team finishing 7-9.

Imagine what the reaction would be if the Redskins were the pre-2018 Browns or this year's Cardinals finishing 3-13 or 2-14.

Let's all remember this team is as close personnel wise with no qb and few A players on roster to finishing 5-11 in 2019 as 9-7.

Things could be about to get worse here.

From Cousins to Smith to ‘Player X'.

That's quite a drop when you consider that Cousins himself is not among the 10 best in the game.

First free agency update pushed to tomorrow and two mocks on Friday. The amount of information is a bit limited right now, but it is still difficult to figure out what is newsworthy and what is mindless info. Still sorting it out, but the update will come.

On McCoy - I'm fine moving on if we go out and get a workable free agent QB. Workable for me is defined by a guy like Foles or Bridgewater, maybe Keenum if we can get him. I don't see us finding a rook worth a damn in this class. If you can't get a experienced vet like one of those 3, you have to keep McCoy. I would not even give Johnson a try out. We've seen his best and it's not very good.

I'm curious on Doctson. We have waited this long for him, and he seemed to make some strides this year. Don't we have 1 more year on his rookie contract? If so - I'd keep him and make the decision a year from now.

We've seen McCoy as well. Frankly, he's no better than Josh. He has no arm strength, isn't all that mobile, has sat on gthe bench for far too long (i.e., past disposal date). Just one more of Jay's "favorites".

I eagerly await the upcoming 2019 season.
Where I will be lounging in front of my television.
Seductively clothed in Burgundy & Gold.
Cold beer in hand.
Cheering on my football team.

And the only thing that can prevent that from happening, is my death.

Or more productive/rewarding ways to spend valuable time! :)

Colt McCoy and Ty Nsekhe sit on the bench as supposed top backups but when they are called into action they seem to be brittle and go down almost immediately.

Ty got hurt last year as well when called upon. Colt was hurt in 2014 when coming off the bench.

At 32 we need to move on from these guys and find younger, cheaper talent with some upside.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Some people have 20/10 and believe it is retroactive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.