• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2019

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

The Redskins do not possess the cap space required to trade for Brown.

It's doable.
Cap space can be created.
And Eric Schaefer can be creative
We've done it before.

I never understood those who made the assertion that you don't draft a guard that high.

Big Q is a big holder.
Baldy even admits it...""Saturday Night Raw".
If you're using wrestling moves in football, it's holding.

Re: Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions,

2 things.

Going after Brown would be nothing short of foolish.
It simply doesn't matter how/where you acquire good players.

It only matters that you do.

Big Q is a big holder.
Baldy even admits it...""Saturday Night Raw".
If you're using wrestling moves in football, it's holding.

So...you wouldn't want someone like him on the Redskins right?

While Brown would be good on this team we would have to create 4 other holes to fit him in

While Brown would be good on this team we would have to create 4 other holes to fit him in

And that's without even mentioning we'd have nobody that could get him the ball.

Really, you want to trade for a soon to be 32 year old wide receiver with locker room issues, specifically helping to divide a team during the past season with his selfishness????

This is EXACTLY the kind of move that the Redskins would have made in the past that would have robbed the team of valuable draft picks and given us a player that sat here for a couple of years making big money.

Besides, who is going to throw him the ball? :)

One of the reasons Brown was upset was that Roethlisberger took him to task for practice habits and looking to favor Shuster and Washington more in the offense.

But he has had a franchise quarterback throwing him the ball.

You think he is going to be happy catching passes from Colt McCoy or an unheralded mid round draft pick from the 2019 draft?

Brown and the Redskins is a very poor fit.

Brown has won in the past and while talented has a very big ego that would dwarf the coaching staff here. If he can cause that much trouble in Pittsburgh imagine what he could do to Gruden and Co, who based on wins/losses have very little street cred.

Have you seen Deionte Thompson in any of my mocks late last year or last week? Even as a mention? You didn't? Want to know why?

Did you see the game last night? Did you see the Alabama-Oklahoma game last week? Did you see him play in the last few games of the 2018 season?

There is a reason why I did not have him mocked - at all. He may declare for the draft, but I think he needs another year at Bama. He could still turn out to have a great pro career, but I have my concerns.

Burner's Burning Questions: Free Agency, Mocks, Camps, OTAs, Roster Predictions, 2019​

Greetings from BBQ. A new year has arrived with the Redskins falling short of the playoffs once again. Free agency, the draft, and training camp will be here before you know it. This is our second free agency update for the 2019 offseason. It's very early in this process and we really don't know how all of it will unfold.

As we get closer to free agency, things will be somewhat clearer. Will Alex Smith return from a brutal injury? What kind of changes will we see to the roster? Can we expect any changes to the coaching staff? Those are the biggest questions to be answered in the 2019 off-season.

Who will we target in free agency? Who will we re-sign? Who will we not re-sign? Who will get released? Feel free to offer your opinions and predictions.

We take the latest chatter from Redskins Park and media pundits as BBQ tries to formulate what could happen in the coming days, weeks and months.

Free Agents Obtained:
ArDarius Stewart, WR (Released, 1/7/19)
Carlos Henderson, WR (Released, 1/7/19)

Restricted Free Agents:
Byron Marshall, RB
Maurice Harris, WR
Rob Kelley, RB

Exclusive Rights Free Agents:
ArDarius Stewart, WR (Released, 1/7/19)

Exercised Option:

Trades:

Contract Extensions:

Pending Free Agents:
Ty Nsekhe, OT (Unknown)
Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, FS (Very Likely Returns)
Pernell McPhee, OLB (Possibly Returns)
Shawn Lauvao, OG (Unkown)
Preston Smith, OLB (Unknown)
Adrian Peterson, RB (Very Likely Returns)
Mark Sanchez, QB (Very Likely Walks)
Josh Johnson, QB (Likely Walks)
Austin Howard, OT (Very Likely Walks)
Tony Bergstrom, OG/C (Unknown)
Luke Bowanko, C/OG (Very Likely Walks)
Michael Floyd, WR (Very Likely Walks)
Jamison Crowder, WR (Possibly Returns)
Marquis Flowers, ILB (Very Likely Walks)
Zach Kerin, OG (Very Likely Walks)
Arie Kouandjio, OG (Unknown)
ZachVigil, ILB (Possibly Returns)

Possible Release Candidates:
Alex Smith, QB (PUP?, IR?, Retire?, Returns?)
Josh Norman, CB (Very Likely Returns, Re-structure Contract?, Pay Cut?)
Vernon Davis, TE (Very Likely Released)
Stacy McGee, DT (Very Likely Released)
Jordan Reed, TE (Likely Returns)
Zach Brown, ILB (Very Likely Released)
Samaje Perine, RB (Unknown, Trade?)
Colt McCoy, QB (Likely Returns)
Troy Apke, FS (Likely Returns)

Re-structure Contract Candidates:
Alex Smith, QB
Jordan Reed, TE
Josh Norman, CB

2019 Dead Money Contracts:
DJ Swearinger ($1.33M)
Orlando Scandrick ($500K)

Off-Season Updates:
Redskins defensive backs coach Torrian Gray has been fired.

The current Redskins cap room stands at $22.93M for 2019. This is prior to the expected cap increase of $12M to $14M from the league. Releases and re-structures will also increase the cap room.

There is a rumor that Josh Norman is willing to take a pay cut in 2019.

We know absolutely nothing on Alex Smith. Will he be ready for the 2019 season? Will he need another year to heal? Is his career over? Will he retire? Will he give the Redskins any cap relief? No one knows, but we'll stay on top of it.

ArDarius Stewart and Carlos Henderson had a real shot at being on the roster in September - especially Stewart. BBQ said to keep an eye on them. Stewart and Henderson were released on Monday. They apparently have greater issues than anyone knew and their NFL careers are likely over.

The Redskins will not pursue a trade for Antonio Brown. Period.

Personal Thoughts:
BBQ made a mistake. Jonathan Cooper, OG is signed through 2019 and is not a pending free agent. Also, he has a very good chance of being on the roster of 53 this September.

Just a gut feeling here. I think Alex Smith makes a successful return in 2019. He could be ready to start the season or be put on the PUP list for the first few games.

Players I believe that will not return include Zach Brown, Vernon Davis, Samaje Perine, Stacy McGee, Michael Floyd, Josh Johnson, Ty Nsekhe, Mark Sanchez, Austin Howard, and Luke Bowanko.

In Conclusion:
The free agency updates are still a bit sparse, but info and reports will continue to increase. We'll have regular updates and post information as it becomes available. Two mocks are coming Friday.

No idea what this draft crop holds but damn it would be nice to draft a true Center.

BB....keep up the good work! So, a little friendly banter to stir the pot:

1. A 35 year old QB who isn't in recovery mode from a serious injury is one thing. But after what happened to Alex last season? No way. More so because he'd likey miss most of the off-season. Nope. I see this as a prescription for disaster. Of course, so is the alternative.

2. Interested in your thoughts on draft strategy
- go across offense & defense or focus on maximizing one side of the ball
- at 15 go for need or best player particulalry if at a position the draft is supposedly strong in (i.e., OLBs)
- if there is a focus area (o-line, TE, etc.) draft multiple players like Shanahan did back in the day for QB

3. Does it matter who is drafted or FA gains with this coaching staff and FO? i.e., in your opinion, will the children in the sandbox know how to use the tools they are given effectively?

No idea what this draft crop holds but damn it would be nice to draft a true Center.

Chase Roullier played every down this season and was absolutely solid.

After having dissected so much video during the course of the season with at least a dozen pundits, then examining positions via podcasts with said pundits, and then analyzing tons of reports, I fail to see why anyone would have a problem with Roullier.

He endured ten guard changes on each side and periodic tackle changes. The one constant was Chase Roullier.

1. I respect your opinion. We'll see what happens.

2. Draft analysis will be a constant feature until late April.

3. We'll see.

Yes having an OLineman that is that durable definitely counts for extra bonus points.
It don't matter how talented you are if you can't stay on the field.

Last edited:

So, now it's reported that not only is Bowles still free, and did not sign with Tampa, but that Torrian Gray has not actually been fired.
What's goin on ?

I haven't seen anything on Gray not really being let go - where did you see that? On Bowles, Bruce Arians is referring to him as his new DC, but I have read that it's not officially a done deal and that Chicago is still a possibility. Who knows? Shit is swirling this time of the year, hard to know what to believe :)

Keim actually said it this morning.

I saw that, but took it to mean other than Gray. You may be right though - thanks!

Matt LaFleur, who was the QB Coach for the Redskins from 2010-2013, is now Head Coach of Green Bay.

For such a ‘****ed up' franchise, we sure seem to produce a lot of successful coaches. Sure the argument will be they've succeeded in spite of the Redskins taint on them, not because of any positive growth they may have had while a part of this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.